Toshiba 3rd Gen HD DVD Players 10 Free HD DVD's starting at $179 @ Amazon.com

mydogisdexter

CAG Veteran
LINK

If this isn't news, sorry...

I got the e-mail from Amazon about this a couple of weeks ago, when I followed the links, they said the offer was over. Seems to be back on.

Toshiba HD-A3 + 5 free on the spot, 5 free by mail in offer, free super saver shipping.

I just ordered the Toshiba HD-A3 with the packed in 300 and Bourne Identity. You get to choose 3 others (from a semi-decent selection...The Big Lebowski...FTW!) to be shipped at the same time. The 5 free HD-DVD's for the mail in gig still applies.

Halfway down the page there is a link to follow for the $199.00 HD-A3 with movies. I went through the order, the Toshiba still showed at $232.99, but I called customer service and she changed it right on the spot. She said it was the 3rd call about the same thing.

Link through CAG to give Cheapy the $ for the order...that bastard.....

LinkinPrime Edit:
Deal updated:
Get 10 Free HD DVDs with Selected HD DVD Players

Here's How It Works:
1. Purchase one of the HD DVD players shown below from Amazon.com. (Limit five per customer. Quantities are limited; order now before we run out!)
2. Select three HD DVDs from the list below and make your purchase--the promotional discount will be applied at checkout. You will see a credit in your Shopping Cart.
3. Get 300 and The Bourne Identity packaged with your player.
4. Get five more discs for free: Download the mail-in rebate form and print it out. When you receive your player, fill out the form with your choice of movies--you'll need the UPC code located on the player's package--and send it in to the address indicated on the form by March 31, 2008.
5. Set up your new player and marvel at the stunning picture, sound, and bonus features available with high-definition entertainment. Happy viewing!
*For a limited time get up to $100 savings on selected HD DVD players. Click below to see Amazon.com's current pricing.
HD-A3 now $199.98
HD-A30 now $259.98
HD-A35 now $359.98
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...gam08-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325Go go go go! Might be only one day sale since they are most likely macthing Walmart's secret sale, but you get a cheaper price on the A3 here $100 off and no tax (most states) plus free shipping.

When was the A3 on sale for $100? I know Walmart did that one day thing at the beginning of Nov for the A2 at $98, is that what you are referring to?

No one else has come close to that. Even now Walmart is selling the A2 for $198 and the A3 for $298.

[quote name='BK_NC']When was the A3 on sale for $100? I know Walmart did that one day thing at the beginning of Nov for the A2 at $98, is that what you are referring to?

No one else has come close to that. Even now Walmart is selling the A2 for $198 and the A3 for $298.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Trust me, I tried. Only a few lucky people who beat out the hordes of regular shoppers got that deal at WM.

There was also that BB business snafu that yielded $100 A3's (ordered A2s which were changed to A3s in most cases) I think.

So I would consider those rare cases and even some of us CAGs couldn't cash in due to limited quantities/timeframe.

If you're going to wait for a $100 A3, then you might be waiting for a while. You might have missed the boat.

The 10 movies and A3 is still a good deal overall but the selection (just checked) seems to be a lot smaller than the first go around.

[quote name='bob330i']Exactly. Trust me, I tried. Only a few lucky people who beat out the hordes of regular shoppers got that deal at WM.
[/QUOTE]

I was one of those and I got my father one for Christmas too. (I just couldn't pass it up, to good a deal for $98.)

I was quiet surprised their were only a few people that new about the deal and came in early. I was like the 3rd buyer at 6:30am that Friday.

if anyone wants to save even more money and buy either an hda2/a3/or a30 from me I have the three available CML. Im looking to let them go well under retail, just take a look. Figured Id throw that out there for whoever wants to save more money.

Deal updated:
Get 12 Free HD DVDs with Selected HD DVD Players

Here's How It Works:
1. Purchase one of the HD DVD players shown below from Amazon.com. (Limit three per customer. Quantities are limited; order now before we run out!)
2. Select five HD DVDs from the list below and make your purchase--the promotional discount will be applied at checkout. You will see a credit in your Shopping Cart.
3. Get 300 and The Bourne Identity packaged with your player.
4. Get five more discs for free: Download the mail-in rebate form and print it out. When you receive your player, fill out the form with your choice of movies--you'll need the UPC code located on the player's package--and send it in to the address indicated on the form by March 31, 2008.
5. Set up your new player and marvel at the stunning picture, sound, and bonus features available with high-definition entertainment. Happy viewing!
HD-A3 now $199.98
HD-A30 now $259.98
HD-A35 now $359.98
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=338760701&pf_rd_i=193642011
Go go go go! Might be only one day sale since they are most likely macthing Walmart's secret sale, but you get a cheaper price on the A3 here $100 off and no tax (most states) plus free shipping.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Deal updated:

HD-A3 now $199.98
HD-A30 now $259.98
HD-A35 now $359.98
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_6032552_5?ie=UTF8&docId=1000172611&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1HSH00FS683JB745XVKY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=338760701&pf_rd_i=193642011
Go go go go! Might be only one day sale since they are most likely macthing Walmart's secret sale, but you get a cheaper price on the A3 here $100 off and no tax (most states) plus free shipping.[/quote]

the only reason a walmart deal is better due to the movies you pick.. walmart wont have any of the older releases.. they will have the NEWEST releases from the past few weeks.. whereas Amazon will only have a select set.

Just depends on what you want exactly.. either way good deal.

Uhh....still, the selections are bad! Wal-Mart has the A2 for the same price and a similar deal but they let you pick 5 movies for free! Even the newest releases! I hope there isn't any difference between A2 and A3.

[quote name='moviewizguy']Uhh....still, the selections are bad! Wal-Mart has the A2 for the same price and a similar deal but they let you pick 5 movies for free! Even the newest releases! I hope there isn't any difference between A2 and A3.[/quote]

Not sure how much different they are but I know that the A3 is thinner and comes with Bourne Identity and 300 (non-combo) and from what I've heard it loads faster.

Fricken amazon, I took advantage of this on the 23rd when it was only 10 free HD DVDs. I call customer service and they tell me that the only way I could get the 12 free is to return all of my last order and then rebuy using the 12 free promo. Two HD DVD's aren't worth the hassle..

I am so tempted to jump in on this but I'm confused. Do all the recent hd-dvd player price drops recently mean that they are losing the format war? I have a ps3 for my blurays but I really want some of the exclusive hd-dvds like Battlestar Galactica and Transformers. I just have a feeling that hd-dvd is losing the war and maybe I should just wait. Can anyone help with some suggestions?

i'm not going to lie....this 100 dollar hd dvd player i got is OK....but not anything IMPRESSIVE

lord knows i'm tempted to return it back to wal mart and be content w/watching upscaled movies on my hdtv....

[quote name='moviewizguy']Uhh....still, the selections are bad! Wal-Mart has the A2 for the same price and a similar deal but they let you pick 5 movies for free! Even the newest releases! I hope there isn't any difference between A2 and A3.[/QUOTE]
My Walmarts selection were just as poor for HD DVDs, they had 90% Blu-Ray. I could barely find more than five different HDs, and this was around noon (they were out of A2s or I'd have gotten it probably) but they did atleast have two Transformers, and one Shrek 3 left. The rest was pretty poor though, like Last Samurai / Blood Diamond (both on Amazon) and Troy (MIR DVD)

[quote name='DarkKnight']I am so tempted to jump in on this but I'm confused. Do all the recent hd-dvd player price drops recently mean that they are losing the format war? I have a ps3 for my blurays but I really want some of the exclusive hd-dvds like Battlestar Galactica and Transformers. I just have a feeling that hd-dvd is losing the war and maybe I should just wait. Can anyone help with some suggestions?[/QUOTE]
the only "losers" in this war is the consumers....

nobody is going to willingly pay 30 dollars for a movie....and with a lot of people not even having HDTVs in their homes, it really doesn't matter what format something is on.

Plus, to be REAL, some movies i can't see a difference! so when it comes down to it....the only "winners" are video freaks who copped the ps3 and 100 hd dvd player.

I already have the 360 add-on, was really tempted to get a standalone with 12 free, but I'd warn everyone to evaluate just how valuable the 5 free rebate movies are. Looked like a really poor selection IMHO, they're sure pushing those 1st edition Full Metal Jackets now that the remaster is out.

[quote name='strongpimphand']the only "losers" in this war is the consumers....

nobody is going to willingly pay 30 dollars for a movie....and with a lot of people not even having HDTVs in their homes, it really doesn't matter what format something is on.

Plus, to be REAL, some movies i can't see a difference! so when it comes down to it....the only "winners" are video freaks who copped the ps3 and 100 hd dvd player.[/QUOTE]

Idiot.

The winners in this "war" are the consumers. Do you really think hardware/software prices would be so low without the current competition?

30 dollars a disc? Don't buy movies B&M. Amazon has almost all of them (except combos and a few Paramount films) for $19.95

Can't see a difference? You must have pretty shitty vision.

----------

DarkKnight, both formats are here to stay so just buy on which ever one you want and then wait for a cheap combo player to come out.

Yeah, I'm pretty tempted .. I wish I could one-day the player but not the movies, since two-day shows as Wednesday rather than Tuesday. Selection needs to get better though, I ended up with two movies I'm not sure I'll like (Next, Disturbia) now if it was like Walmart (five 29.99 or less) I'd have bought it asap. Then again, their select is great so they probably never would.

[quote name='Sporadic']Idiot.

The winners in this "war" are the consumers. Do you really think hardware/software prices would be so low without the current competition?

30 dollars a disc? Don't buy movies B&M. Amazon has almost all of them (except combos and a few Paramount films) for $19.95

Can't see a difference? You must have pretty shitty vision.

----------

DarkKnight, both formats are here to stay so just buy on which ever one you want and then wait for a cheap combo player to come out.[/QUOTE]
now how in the hell can the comsumers be the "winners" when this silly ass feud splits fan bases????

prices ALWAYS drop, this isn't anything new! what is new though is having to choose between what movies you can watch

"man...this is only on bluray....and i got hd dvd....damn" and vise versa. that doesn't help the consumer!

having two consoles doesn't help the consumer!

being limited in choices doesn't help the consumer!

and think about what you just typed....that in order to find low prices, i can't go to a regular store....but have to go online and HOPE that a website is having a special. i'm on amazon right now and the titles i want - 25+. so much for 19.99....

yep, hooray for consumers for being stuck in a pointless war....consumers won't win until titles are universal OR a winner is chosen. according to your logic, the betamax vs vcr battle was the best shit ever!

[quote name='strongpimphand']now how in the hell can the comsumers be the "winners" when this silly ass feud splits fan bases????

prices ALWAYS drop, this isn't anything new! what is new though is having to choose between what movies you can watch

"man...this is only on bluray....and i got hd dvd....damn" and vise versa. that doesn't help the consumer!

having two consoles doesn't help the consumer!

being limited in choices doesn't help the consumer!

and think about what you just typed....that in order to find low prices, i can't go to a regular store....but have to go online and HOPE that a website is having a special. i'm on amazon right now and the titles i want - 25+. so much for 19.99....

yep, hooray for consumers for being stuck in a pointless war....consumers won't win until titles are universal OR a winner is chosen. according to your logic, the betamax vs vcr battle was the best shit ever![/QUOTE]

You really think that the prices would have dropped as quickly as they had if there was no competition?

The answer is no. There would be no $200 players, there would be no 5 free movies or any free movies, there would be no BOGOs every other week on the Blu-Ray side.

Hope that a website is having a special? Again unless every title you want is a combo disc or a few select Paramount movies (which would be $27.95) every other HD-DVD on Amazon is $19.95. That's not a special, that's their every day prices.

Does it suck that you can't get every movie possible? Yes but thanks to the war it is very easy to jump into the HDM arena and it's only a matter of time until affordable combo players are released which means that this whole thing will be for moot anyways.

Do want. I wish there was a coupon or some other deal to make this a bit less painful on the wallet... (Yes, I know it's already a great deal)

I got it for $160 on black friday with 3 free movies. I sent them an email asking for 2 more free movies. Let's see how it goes.

people on SD are talking about getting the player cheaper by cancelling the hddvds in a slim time window - aka getting the a30 for $170 or so.
Since the movies arent very tempting, i might try for this.

Yay, got it to work

1 of: Toshiba HD-A30 1080p HD DVD Player [Electronics]

Item(s) Subtotal: $259.98 Shipping & Handling: $0.00 Promotion Applied: -$90.89 ----- Total Before Tax: $169.09 Sales tax: $0.00 ----- Total for this Shipment: $169.09

Now i can sell off my 360 add-on( once again), and the 300 HDdvd ( got the BRay) and hopefully only be paying a little bit out of pocket. Plus another set of 5 free Hd-dvds if i can find another address to use.

[quote name='Pookymeister']people on SD are talking about getting the player cheaper by cancelling the hddvds in a slim time window - aka getting the a30 for $170 or so.

Yay, got it to work

Item(s) Subtotal: $259.98 Shipping & Handling: $0.00 Promotion Applied: -$90.89 ----- Total Before Tax: $169.09 Sales tax: $0.00 ----- Total for this Shipment: $169.09

Now i can sell off my 360 add-on( once again), and the 300 HDdvd ( got the BRay) and hopefully only be paying a little bit out of pocket. Plus another set of 5 free Hd-dvds if i can find another address to use.[/quote]

Nice!

Ok, if the selections in wal mart are bad, I might buy this deal in amazon with A3 and limited selections. That's just $30 more (I bought one HD-A3 in Sears for $170) for 5 more decent movies.

[quote name='psincubus']I got it for $160 on black friday with 3 free movies. I sent them an email asking for 2 more free movies. Let's see how it goes.[/quote]

let me know if it works.
2 more HD-DVD movies.

Uh, the OP deal lists "5 free movies", though when you go to the Amazon.com page, you only can get three free movies. OP needs to be updated.

Well it appears to have worked. I canceled my five HDDVDs before they shipped and it brought the price of the player to 129 and some change. It shipped today but I still have not seen the price that they charged my card. According to their site they will charge it the 129 amount. If I only had chosen more expensive DVDs I could have gotten this player for a lot less. But 129 for the A3 doesn't seem all that bad to me. Thanks to everyone with their quick posts for allowing those of us that got in on this to take advantage of it.

[quote name='Erillian']Well it appears to have worked. I canceled my five HDDVDs before they shipped and it brought the price of the player to 129 and some change. It shipped today but I still have not seen the price that they charged my card. According to their site they will charge it the 129 amount. If I only had chosen more expensive DVDs I could have gotten this player for a lot less. But 129 for the A3 doesn't seem all that bad to me. Thanks to everyone with their quick posts for allowing those of us that got in on this to take advantage of it.[/quote]
not sure how much the dvds you chose come into play - probably a max. My promotion took off $130 bucks(5 copies of Next) when i had the movies and only $90 when i cancelled them.

EDIT - just got shipping notice so looks like i def got the A-30 for $170. Rockin.

EDIT again - just saw price for player dropped another $10 so just emailed for a refund on that. That would be even more rockin.

EDIT : Got refund

[quote name='MetalGator']I already have the 360 add-on, was really tempted to get a standalone with 12 free, but I'd warn everyone to evaluate just how valuable the 5 free rebate movies are. Looked like a really poor selection IMHO, they're sure pushing those 1st edition Full Metal Jackets now that the remaster is out.[/quote]

I have the 360 add on and been tempted to get the a3 for $200 but 2 things, first I already got like all the hd-dvds that I want and 2 the selection for the rebate SUX!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Not sure how much different they are but I know that the A3 is thinner and comes with Bourne Identity and 300 (non-combo) and from what I've heard it loads faster.[/QUOTE]

The A3 loads faster than the A2, but not by much...Upon turing it on, my A3 takes takes 40 seconds before it will do ANYTHING, such as open the drive door....even if there is a disk in the drive, it takes 40 seconds after hitting the power button before it starts to read it.

The A3 is much quieter than the 360 external unit but it take alot longer to start up than the external unit.

i got the a3 for $198, and I actually liked the selection of hd dvds they had so I kept them. For an "extra" $70 for 5 hd dvds, and $130 for the a3 + bourne and 300 makes me a happy guy...ill put a smiley to show my happiness:D

[quote name='Sporadic']You really think that the prices would have dropped as quickly as they had if there was no competition?

The answer is no. There would be no $200 players, there would be no 5 free movies or any free movies, there would be no BOGOs every other week on the Blu-Ray side.

Hope that a website is having a special? Again unless every title you want is a combo disc or a few select Paramount movies (which would be $27.95) every other HD-DVD on Amazon is $19.95. That's not a special, that's their every day prices.

Does it suck that you can't get every movie possible? Yes but thanks to the war it is very easy to jump into the HDM arena and it's only a matter of time until affordable combo players are released which means that this whole thing will be for moot anyways.[/QUOTE]

so how does that help the many thousands, even millions of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD owners who already made thier decision?

And your talking about $25-$20 price wars being a deal when people are still buying $4 DVDs like hotcakes. The consumers definately arent "winning" in this war anytime soon....

[quote name='Pookymeister']people on SD are talking about getting the player cheaper by cancelling the hddvds in a slim time window - aka getting the a30 for $170 or so.

Yay, got it to work

Now i can sell off my 360 add-on( once again), and the 300 HDdvd ( got the BRay) and hopefully only be paying a little bit out of pocket. Plus another set of 5 free Hd-dvds if i can find another address to use.[/quote]

So. . .why would you sell your 360 add-on? Last I read, that one outputs 1080p and this one only does 1080i. I know it's picky, but technically your add-on outputs a better picture.

[quote name='moonphrogg']So. . .why would you sell your 360 add-on? Last I read, that one outputs 1080p and this one only does 1080i. I know it's picky, but technically your add-on outputs a better picture.[/quote]

a30 does 1080p...

im holding out for the a35 though.

[quote name='guyver2077']a30 does 1080p...

im holding out for the a35 though.[/quote]

Yea, what he said.

Got it today too, woohoo.
I think the biggest diff betwee 30 and 35 was the sound, and i still have a 7 yr old home theater system and live where i cant really crank it so thats not a big factor for me

So is that cancel the HDDVDs right after your order still working? I'd like to lower the price just a tad..and what exactly do you do?

[quote name='nikelecious91']So is that cancel the HDDVDs right after your order still working? I'd like to lower the price just a tad..and what exactly do you do?[/QUOTE]

You have to stand by and wait for the player to go into the "shipping soon" status. Once that happens as long as your DVDs didnt go into that status at the same time you go to change or cancel items in that portion of the order and you then delete all of the DVDs. The discount is taken off the player and you will see the evidence of this at the bottom of that portion of your order where it states order total for the player only.

Just a heads up some people haven't been as lucky and both of the portions of the order went to that shipping soon status at the same time or they missed their chance to cancel the DVDs.

Good luck because it really gives you a great price on the player if you can get it to work.

Tried it last night. The HDDVDs shipped before the A3. Oh well, no big deal. I was only able to catch the $160 plus tax D3 pricing at Costco on BF so this one is better: ~$27 for the 3 extra movies is worth it. I'll keep an eye out for a better Amazon price drop or deal....but I'll be happy with the $199 A3/10 movie deal if that's what I'm stuck with.

bread's done
Back