Toshiba HD-A2 Refurbished HD-DVD Player 54.99

[quote name='Sulik2']Is this the one that has the really good upconversion?[/QUOTE]

Most of the Toshibas do a good job but the one you're probably thinking of is the XA2 which has the Reon chip. Supposedly the best upconverting player of the Toshibas.

[quote name='bob330i']Most of the Toshibas do a good job but the one you're probably thinking of is the XA2 which has the Reon chip. Supposedly the best upconverting player of the Toshibas.[/quote]That's right. The XA2 is the only one with the HQV Reon chip in it.

Do you guys think it would be more worth it in the long run to get one of these A2s or should I get a new A3 instead? By the way the A3 I can get is about $10 more.

A lot of people consider the A2 a slightly better player-- the 3rd generation players seem to have a few more glitches here and there (mostly disc playback, having more trouble on slightly scratched discs, etc). Plus the A2 will downconvert the HD audio tracks (TrueHD, etc) to DTS over optical connections-- the A3 downconverts to Dolby Digital, which some feel is inferior.

I'd get an A2 if it's basically the same price, although you're dealing with a refurb...

As an owner of all 3 gens (HD-A1, HD-A2, HD-A35), I think the 2nd gen is built slightly (not much, but some) better than the 3rd gen (it's a toy compared to the first gen though), and is definitely the best looking of the three. As mentioned above, if you do not have an HDMI receiver, the 1st and 2nd gen players downconvert the soundtracks to 1.5Mbps DTS, while the 3rd gen uses 640kbps DD.

I would actually pay a few bucks more for an A2 over an A3 (or A30).

To clear this up for myself i would like to know what the general census is on the highest quality hd-players. Rank them for me if you can.

Justin 42 and geko29, thank you so much for your input. I would rather get the A2 based off both of your information. To Tigerdirect.com I go!

bread's done
Back