Tough Decision: Keeping CE/Console Boxes

Pyloric

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
I think I've come to the point in my video game collecting career where I'm running out of room.  In my basement I have all of my games displayed, Steelbooks on the wall, consoles on the TV stand, and collector's edition statues on the tops of shelves.  The problem I'm having is all of the boxes from the consoles and collector's editions.  My laundry room is overflowing with boxes!  

Now I don't ever plan on displaying the boxes.  The reason I've been keeping them so far is for resale purposes if I'm ever strapped for cash.  There's been a couple games I've owned that shot up in value and I ended up selling them (Dark Spire on DS!), and lots of yard sale purchases that I've used my old boxes for. Also, Amazon trade-in's often give more for things like consoles in the box.

Right now I'm thinking maybe just toss the boxes from over-produced CE's (Battlefield 1, Mirror's Edge, Halo, Skyrim, etc.) and maybe keep the ones that I think may hold value down the road?  Anyone else have this problem?  Tips, suggestions, thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't collect based on how much I think it'll be worth down the line, so I don't have this problem.

If this is purely financial based though, just sell off the extras in a lot for someone who wants them.

There are people who buy the standard editions of games, and then buys the extra separately in order to save on the overall cost of acquiring the CE of a game.  Might be worth it to just go ahead and just go that route if anything.

I'm sure there'd be a lot of people here just looking for the extras as well for CEs, so list them up. ;P

Just to clarify, I love all of my extras, it's only the vast amount of boxes that I'm running out of room for x.x

I guess the financial side is just a part of it, the perfectionist/completionist in me wants to keep the boxes as well, even though I'm not doing anything with them.  I guess the moral of the story is I'm out of room, so time to toss some boxes...

I mean, most boxes can be folded up, so if that's your main concern, you can just do that.

Once they're folded up just tie them all together, and stash them behind something else, like other boxes, etc.

I mean, most boxes can be folded up, so if that's your main concern, you can just do that.

Once they're folded up just tie them all together, and stash them behind something else, like other boxes, etc.
Oh yeah, any small, easily foldable boxes will be stored. But I have an oddly large number of "crate" type boxes that have no chance.

Depending on how big they are, I'd consider just using them as a storage box for other stuff, that way it's not counted as wasted space.

You may even have stuff like pre-order swag, extras, and so on from other games stored in a drawer or something.  If you start running out of space for those, you can use them as storage boxes as well, and they'll be the nicest looking storage box ever. ;D

You should be able to collapse most of the boxes in some way. Then store the interior contents that aren't displayed somewhere. The only problem is if the item comes with a foam holder/tray, since you can't collapse those. And also for keeping track of everything. 

I cut back on my collecting for the same reason, running out of space. Gonna have to dumb some of my CEs soon.:p 

You can always pay for a storage place, depending how bad your OCD is you may regret it. If you honesty don't care about it and only interested in the value of it why not just sell the stuff you don't care much fore and make room for new stuff,

You should be able to collapse most of the boxes in some way. Then store the interior contents that aren't displayed somewhere. The only problem is if the item comes with a foam holder/tray, since you can't collapse those. And also for keeping track of everything.

I cut back on my collecting for the same reason, running out of space. Gonna have to dumb some of my CEs soon. :p
I've definitely cut back over the last year or so, out of necessity! 95% of the boxes I have are full of plastic and/or styofoam (to hold in the figures and collectibles.) There's just no good way to shrink those down.

You can always pay for a storage place, depending how bad your OCD is you may regret it. If you honesty don't care about it and only interested in the value of it why not just sell the stuff you don't care much fore and make room for new stuff,
I like all of the collectibles and statues, along with the games and steelbooks. I would sell the boxes, but shipping those big/heavy suckers would cost too much I think.

As of right now, I think I'm going to save the nice, heavy duty boxes to store the smaller, collapsible boxes. The rest are getting tossed (Assassins Creed, Halo Reach, Doom, etc.) Don't worry though, all collectibles, statues, and games are proudly on display!

bread's done
Back