Tower.com Blu-ray deals

Blumpkin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Those that remember Tower Records may be familiar with the company. Tower.com is the new online retailer that can often rival Amazon for CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays. They offer the same $25+ free shipping too.

Here are a few of the deals I noticed on their site:

Shooter $14.99
American Gangster $13.99
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider $14.99
Resident Evil $13.99
Unbreakable $14.99
We Were Soldiers $13.98
The Last Samurai $13.99
Sleepy Hollow $13.99
Bad Santa $13.99

There are many more cases where Tower beats Amazon, but these are just a few of the $15- goodies.

EDIT: Thanks to shadowrage for figuring how to sort by price: http://www.tower.com/n_ad_search/sea...erchoice=price

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shadowrage']http://www.tower.com/n_ad_search/se...&region=&format=3&x=35&y=23&orderchoice=price

This link should sort low to high.
Otherwise go to adavnced search -> video search ->select blu ray format then submit(you can leave everything else blank). Then there should be a sort by price option in the sort by box.[/quote]

Thank you! I never realized that. I'd previously noticed the advanced search on the site but since I didn't see a price filter on that form, I gave up. Never would have occurred to me that it was a feature that would pop up post-search!

[quote name='Scorch']Sin City BR is $13.99 on the site? Holy smokes. Sold! Thanks OP!

//edit: Wait. There's two listings.

http://www.tower.com/sin-city-bruce-willis-blu-ray/wapi/112411134
http://www.tower.com/sin-city-bruce-willis-blu-ray/wapi/113233828

WTF? Looks like the cheaper one is the Canadian import. Not a bad deal. The Canadian version is a bare bones release, though, so if you don't care about special features, save yourself some money![/quote]

how do you know that it's a canadian import? and what exactly is it missing? (like was the american one 2 disc or something?)

The 13.99 one says it came out on December 9, 2008 and is one disc. The 29.50 one says it came out April 21, 2009 and is 2 discs. I'm guessing that is how they can tell.

[quote name='bballplaya210']If I remember correctly, the Canadian version of Sin City does not have HD audio but the US version does.[/QUOTE]
The Canadian version has DTS-MA. I used to have it, I sold it to buy the US version, the Canadian version had an inferior picture to the Japanese version(not by much, but the Canadian version didn't have as much clarity or as deep blacks.). The US version is supposed to look like the Japanese version.

Otherwise the Canadian one is a barebones theatrical version with lossless audio.

I just want to let everyone here know that 28 Days Later looks like complete shit on Blu Ray. The director chose the film to be shot with a low-budget camera and I heard on Blu Ray it looks terrible.

[quote name='Pavelboca']I just want to let everyone here know that 28 Days Later looks like complete shit on Blu Ray. The director chose the film to be shot with a low-budget camera and I heard on Blu Ray it looks terrible.[/QUOTE]
It does except for the last 10minutes, which look fantastic. The audio is much improved over the dvd.

Never used this retailer before. How is the reliability? Hate getting my stuff lost in the mail and arguing with their Customer Service.

[quote name='vader1671']Never used this retailer before. How is the reliability? Hate getting my stuff lost in the mail and arguing with their Customer Service.[/quote]
I've ordered from them about three times now with no problems. And I love the little CD case opening key chains they toss into the box when you buy music discs.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Is the Canadian import the theatrical or extended cut for Sin City?[/quote]

Theatrical Cut

[quote name='supermodestmouse']how do you know that it's a canadian import? and what exactly is it missing? (like was the american one 2 disc or something?)[/quote]

The Canadian one is a barebones single disc release. The US version is 2 discs.

[quote name='Whomeam']How does We Were Soldiers stand up on Blu Ray? Better than the DVD release?[/QUOTE]
I don't have the DVD, but I would rank it with most modern titles released on Blu-ray. It's definitely HD, the green in the jungle looks really good. I have the Australian version with Lossless audio and it sounds amazing, the US version has legacy audio, but I bet it still sounds good.

[quote name='hotness123']any1 know how american gangster looks on blu ray. appreciate the feedback.[/QUOTE]
It uses a lot of earth tones, and looks a tad desaturated(to make it feel like a "period piece". But otherwise it's perfect, in every sense. It looks identical to the presentation I saw at the Digital Cinema.
The audio for the few gunfights is pretty vicious too. And it has a nice set of extras. Plus it has both cuts of the film.

Updated the list. Sorry it took me a while to respond, I'm moving accross the country and taking a vacation right now and CAG isn't easy to check while doing that.
But hey, it gives me plenty of stores to shop at that I never would have otherwise.

bread's done
Back