Tower Defense Games

StickyWaffles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I just checked out Crystal Defenders on the XBLA after watching a friend play it on his old video ipod, and I've been addicted to the game the past few days, but it's such a simple game, that I feel guilty playing it on my 360 with a 56 inch screen and surround sound. That's actually what has prevented me from buying it on the Xbox, even though I perfected the demo. Are there any games on the PSP that fall into this genre? If so, what's the best one? I looked on Giant Bomb and saw that someone included the pixel junk games into this category. I've heard great things about this series, so let me know. If there are some great ones that I can download to my laptop, I would probably be willing to play that also as long as it's cheap.

You can play Pixel Junk Monsters and maybe others through remote play. However, the best version of Pixel Junk Monsters is releasing soon for PSP. PJM is also highly regarded as a much better game than Crystal Defenders. Great ones on PC? Well I'd pick up Starcraft for its user created Turret Defense games as well as the game itself. Also Desktop Tower Defense is free (search google).

The only TD games on PSP at the moment are all homebrew, though Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe is coming to PSP sometime this year.

If you want some for your laptop, look into Popcap's ridiculously fun Plants vs Zombies, or the highly impressive Defense Grid: The Awakening (which is on sale this week for just $5 via Steam).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the posts. I looked on GameSpot to see what was up with PJM since I didn't see it in the Playstation Store, and they mentioned Desktop Tower defense, so I checked it out, and I like it, but I would definitely like something a bit flashier. The one coming for PSP later this year looks badass, but I certainly can't wait that long so it looks like I'll be using my laptop instead. Shame, since the PSP seems perfect for this type of simple game.

Thanks for that link, I'm installing Steam on my laptop now. I bought Half Life when it was $1 awhile ago when I was using a desktop computer, but this is the first deal I've seen that has made me want to install Steam on my laptop. Sounds like it's pretty badass judging from your post, so I might not even bother getting the demo first. Plants vs Zombies looks badass, too, but I'm definitely going with the item that's 75% off. This was definitely the right day for me to discover tower defense games. Very cool genre.

PJMD wouldn't be in the PS Store since it's not out yet, but it comes out this fall. You could play it on there now with a PS3 through remote play, but it's not officially on the PSP yet.

PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe should be a great value with the original island, Encore's island, and a new island thrown in along with online and local co-op, too.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']PJMD wouldn't be in the PS Store since it's not out yet, but it comes out this fall. You could play it on there now with a PS3 through remote play, but it's not officially on the PSP yet.

PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe should be a great value with the original island, Encore's island, and a new island thrown in along with online and local co-op, too.[/quote]Yup, that's what I found out from GameSpot. I'm hoping that it is a PSN release when it comes out and is priced at around $10. They just announced it a week ago according to GameSpot, so I definitely picked the right time to start playing these games, especially when Defense Grid just went on sale for $5 on Steam. Bought that since the demo was great and Coffee had positive things to say about it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It will probably be on both UMD and PSN and will probably be about $20 for what it's offering ($10 game, $6 add-on, and extra island/modes).

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173987[/quote] Might be a little bit more than I would want to pay, but I think it's possible for them to price the download at $15 and the UMD at $20, which is what everyone thought they were doing for Patapon 2 originally. At least the $15 download part. Sony definitely needs to experiment past what they did with Patapon 2, and I think this would be a good title for that.

Get Starcraft, you won't regret it on your laptop. There's many Turret Defense games on it that people have created and you can even make your own. If you have a DS check out Locks Quest and Ninjatown.

[quote name='J7.']Get Starcraft, you won't regret it on your laptop. There's many Turret Defense games on it that people have created and you can even make your own.[/quote]I borrowed it from a friend a few months ago and tried to play it on my old desktop, but it was unplayable. I think it might have been a problem with the Windows 7 beta. I'll give it a shot on my laptop and find the Turret Defense games if I get tired of Defense Grid. Thanks for the tip.

[quote name='J7.']Get Starcraft, you won't regret it on your laptop. There's many Turret Defense games on it that people have created and you can even make your own. If you have a DS check out Locks Quest and Ninjatown.[/quote]

This or Warcraft 3 for the same reason.

bread's done
Back