Toyrus Resident Evil Revelation for 39.99 with free case

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
I just took a look at Toyrus site and see that Resident Evil Revelation for 3ds is at 39.99 WITH a free 3ds case, which made it the same as the best buy deal. However... with the groupon toyrus gift card deal a while back this might be a good choice. The deal is good for online only and I am not sure on the $10 giftcard if it apply.

Holy cow, I came here just to double check on this deal and only now realized that they inflated the price first before giving the gift card. That's pathetic. Toys R Us used to be a great place to get games but K-Mart is murdering them lately.

I heard many people have problems that TRU sells the game for $49.99 then they either give you the gift card with that high price or lower it to $39.99 and no gift card. Did anyone get it for the $39.99 plus gift card? Does that deal work for the bundle with the circle pad pro and is that accessory necessary/worth it to make the game control easier?

[quote name='ripoffer']I heard many people have problems that TRU sells the game for $49.99 then they either give you the gift card with that high price or lower it to $39.99 and no gift card. Did anyone get it for the $39.99 plus gift card? Does that deal work for the bundle with the circle pad pro and is that accessory necessary/worth it to make the game control easier?[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of a post by a guy on GameFAQs asking the same question ;)

I don't think TRU carries the circle pad pro, the game currently rings up as $49.99 with a $10 gc. If they lower the price to $39.99, it cancels the giftcard. So the only way to get the game for MSRP + the gc is to have them lower it to $29.99 + a $10 gc you buy (which I'm guessing 90% of TRU employees will not do because they aren't wise like Prim) or wait for TRU to possibly update the MSRP in their system before the week is over (yeah right). So it's going to be a pain to actually get a good deal with this.

[quote name='etcrane']This reminds me of a post by a guy on GameFAQs asking the same question ;)

I don't think TRU carries the circle pad pro, the game currently rings up as $49.99 with a $10 gc. If they lower the price to $39.99, it cancels the giftcard. So the only way to get the game for MSRP + the gc is to have them lower it to $29.99 + a $10 gc you buy (which I'm guessing 90% of TRU employees will not do because they aren't wise like Prim) or wait for TRU to possibly update the MSRP in their system before the week is over (yeah right). So it's going to be a pain to actually get a good deal with this.[/QUOTE]

Your post reminds me of a post by a guy with the same username on GameFAQs RE:R board answering my same question ;) Thanks for answering it twice!

It sucks I can't get both $10 gift card and $39.99. It's on the way home from work, so I'll see if the store clerk will be smart enough to give it to me. I guess I'll have to buy it from either ToysRUs.com or BestBuy.com to get a free 3DS case and sell that case in ebay.com which is almost the same thing as getting the discount.

[quote name='xvszero']Holy cow, I came here just to double check on this deal and only now realized that they inflated the price first before giving the gift card. That's pathetic. Toys R Us used to be a great place to get games but K-Mart is murdering them lately.[/QUOTE]

It's not really an inflated price, those ads are printed weeks ahead of time and that was the original MSRP. The problem is they didn't lower it like everyone else (and don't appear to be anxious to do it) when Capcom lowered the MSRP. I guess they want to make up their margin on people that don't realize that you are basically buying a $10 gift card when everyone else will sell it to you without making you buy the gift card. Eh, maybe it's for the best, I'll pick it up when a real deal pops up.

What I don't understand is why they bothered with a promotion at all if they didn't expect it to be a decent seller and only shipped a couple copies to each store.

I got this game from Best Buy with same day in store pick up. $39.99 w/ the case. No giftcard, but I don't feel like going through the Toys R Us bs. The one local to me doesn't have good workers/service.

[quote name='ripoffer']Did anyone get it for the $39.99 plus gift card? Does that deal work for the bundle with the circle pad pro and is that accessory necessary/worth it to make the game control easier?[/QUOTE]

I was able to pick it up yesterday for $39.99 plus the $10 GC with no problems. The associate just confirmed the price online and then offered me the choice of getting the discount and either the gift card or the case. Of course as seen by this thread that is YMMV. The employees at my TRU have always been good to me.

I tried doing a price match at the toysrus in miami,fl and to my luck the game is no longer as of right now on the website. FML. :(

[quote name='ZiggyGod']I tried doing a price match at the toysrus in miami,fl and to my luck the game is no longer as of right now on the website. FML. :([/QUOTE]

Clever of them, given that the only price match you can get from them consistently is their own site since they have no price match policy for other stores. That tells me that they are fully aware of the MSRP change and have no intentions to fix it until the gift card offer is over. If it was just a stock issue then it would still be searchable, but out of stock. Therefore they are going to hide it and force people to buy a $10 gift card when they buy it. Oh, and the best part is you get to pay sales tax on that gift card too.

It is almost bait and switch and I mean ALMOST with the way they do things. TRU lures in the unknowing who want this game and these people do not check for pricing at other stores. They see that ad with $10 gift card and think that all stores will be MSRP for a retail game on release day. With that thinking, they believe that they are actually ahead with this deal if they go to TRU. They do not even bother to see that TRU's own website lists it at $39.99 and comes with a free case. That case is given away for free through Capcom's store and GS with their pre-orders, so there is no difference there and just buyer's preference. However, online they do not offer the $10 gift card so it is get one or the other. This explains why these cases are being sold for $10 at TRU, while Best But has them at $5. It is to artificially mark up the value of the deal you get with TRU, which is basically no better online than any one of their competitors. Additionally, it is worse in store as you pay more out of pocket just to get back to MSRP with the GC. I can live with the fact that they don't want to do great deals on new releases with a lack of CE or free DLC, but to pretend that you are getting a deal when you are not is an insult to one's intelligence.

To have their people trained to say you are getting a deal and then admit to the fact that they basically are the ONLY company that will not price match their online store's pricing is ridiculous. In the rare times some people here have been able to get the match, they get no GC which is unacceptable. Now I know Target and Best Buy have a policy where you lose any additional discounts/promotions if they price match their competitors and I am fine with that as it is written in their agreement. TRU does not seem to have any guidance or policy in place however and it varies from one store to the next. This explains why they are doing worse than all other VG retail outlets as they are slower with the aggressive pricing (more often than not), do not offer pre-order incentives, do not price match competitors or their online store. I was able to get 4 PS3 Mayhem editions at $59.99 each yesterday at Best Buy just by showing them the price online from this past Sunday even though it shows $99.99 online now and $79.99 in store due to the fact that they said their prices usually stay the same from Sunday to Saturday so this was a mistake on their end. They gladly price adjusted and I would never have been able to do something of that magnitude with TRU as I couldn't even get RE at MSRP with the $10 GC.

bread's done
Back