Toys R Us Accepting Used Games.... Again - Link to tivs in OP

austenwithane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9167[/IMG-R]Toys R Us has announced its nationwide roll-out of its new video game trade-in program. CAGs prim4444 & cheeky tell us that Toys R Us has partnered with Gamers Factory on this new endeavor.

UPDATES: You can find trade-in values here. They also are accepting trade-ins via mail.

[IMG-R=5198]9173[/IMG-R]CAG Mitch079 provides this picture of used games for sale at his local Toys R us in Atlanta, which contradicts what TRU told Joystiq; that they will not be selling used games to the public, but instead will sell them to a third party.

Here are the important details on the trade-in program:

• Games must be in their original cases with artwork
  • Games can be scratched, but not cracked and customers may only trade-in 3 of the same title
  • Maximum $1000 trade-in per day
  • Games should be brought to the Toys“R”Us Guest Services desk
  • Customers receive an activated gift card equal valid at Toys“R”Us, Babies“R”Us or online at Toysrus.com
  • Games from classic systems are accepted, values range from $0.20 to $0.75

Earlier this year, when Toys R Us first started testing their trade-in program, Shipwreck took a look at the landscape of the trade-in/used video game business.
Original post here:
phear3d posted a blog back in March that his local Toys R Us in NY was accepting trades and that it was a limited trial - And that was all I had heard about that.

Fastforward almost 6 months and I see a sign reading that my local TRU is now accepting USed Games as well. (Langhorne PA)

Has anyone else seen this launh/relaunch in their area?

If I have time tonight I'm going to head up and get a few random trade in values for each system and will post them here to see how it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Snake2715']gamersfactory.com huh...

Heading there now.[/QUOTE]

Ok so today on the way back to work from an appointment I stopped in.

The person running the front counter was apparently a newly hired manager. He had yet to be trained on the trade in. In short order he called another manager over to show him what to do. Within a minute the manager was walking him through the process.

He signed into a computer and entered the trade system. They physically opened my games, to check for completeness. Neither of them checked the condition of the disk at all (they were both mint).

He then scanned the games and one by one, asked me if I wanted to do the trade, based on the value the computer told him. They values did match the projected prices at gamersfactory.com, so I agreed.

They had to scan a gift card and I signed a receipt that broke down each game and value independently. I got a copy of that receipt and my gift card. The whole process was super simple and painless. I would say it was one of the easiest trade ins I have done.

The values were about 25%+ more than gamestop.

I will be back for sure.

[quote name='Snake2715']Ok so today on the way back to work from an appointment I stopped in.

The person running the front counter was apparently a newly hired manager. He had yet to be trained on the trade in. In short order he called another manager over to show him what to do. Within a minute the manager was walking him through the process.

He signed into a computer and entered the trade system. They physically opened my games, to check for completeness. Neither of them checked the condition of the disk at all (they were both mint).

He then scanned the games and one by one, asked me if I wanted to do the trade, based on the value the computer told him. They values did match the projected prices at gamersfactory.com, so I agreed.

They had to scan a gift card and I signed a receipt that broke down each game and value independently. I got a copy of that receipt and my gift card. The whole process was super simple and painless. I would say it was one of the easiest trade ins I have done.

The values were about 25%+ more than gamestop.

I will be back for sure.[/QUOTE]
Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. I don't have a whole lot to trade in, but if they do pay some good prices I wouldn't mind doing some nice business with TRU. Well like most people said, if any1 can send in some TIVs I would appreciate it.

[quote name='CheapyD']Needs more photos ;)
Can you hook us up?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll see what I can do after work tomorrow.

I did some trade ins tonight. I had one mint gamecube game, 1 gamestop ps2 game, 1 of the $5 Hollywood video game sale games and 1 wii title from blockbuster. They took them all even though the Hollywood Video game didn't have instructions (there is a printed description the back of the case). I got a gift card and no questions asked. The girl did look at each disc, but didn't seem to be concerned with the instruction books. The prices were better then gamestop.

omega

[quote name='Snake2715']
[/QUOTE]
These are 2 things GS needs to learn to do, tell us the values & list the tiv's online.

Too bad that website is down. I know it's been mentioned that this is better than GS but do they offer better prices than Amazon for your trade-ins?

[quote name='savor100']Too bad that website is down. I know it's been mentioned that this is better than GS but do they offer better prices than Amazon for your trade-ins?[/QUOTE]

You definitely have to compare prices. Like say Devil Survivor for the DS, you get a couple extra bucks at Amazon than TRU.

TIVs don't seem to be all that better then Amazon, some are even lower, but since it is all done in-store rather then online should make them an even match.

I can also confirm I saw 2 bins of used games at my store (Athens, GA) and that the prices were pretty bad. In some cases, the prices were even higher than gamestop. On the bright side, I didn't see anything without a case and presumably everything was complete, which gamestop doesn't really care about. Trading on sites like CAG or selling through ebay is easily the best way to get rid of my old games so I doubt I'll be using this service, but I'm glad that gamestop has some competition. I don't like how long it takes for every transaction at gamestop stores and since they handle trades at the customer service desk instead of at the videogame counter I think service will faster at TRU.

[quote name='grantly']I can also confirm I saw 2 bins of used games at my store (Athens, GA) and that the prices were pretty bad. In some cases, the prices were even higher than gamestop. On the bright side, I didn't see anything without a case and presumably everything was complete, which gamestop doesn't really care about. Trading on sites like CAG or selling through ebay is easily the best way to get rid of my old games so I doubt I'll be using this service, but I'm glad that gamestop has some competition. I don't like how long it takes for every transaction at gamestop stores and since they handle trades at the customer service desk instead of at the videogame counter I think service will faster at TRU.[/QUOTE]

I dont know about that. When I worked at TRU our CS person was usually the only cashier aswell. The people at CS would need to wait until either a manager came up to help them or the CS was done with his/her line of people to be checked out.

[quote name='J7.']These are 2 things GS needs to learn to do, tell us the values & list the tiv's online.[/QUOTE]

perhaps this will force GS to do as such- and maybe put a bit more effort into selling games complete.

Soooo, I read the whole thread, and I'm still not completely sure...

How do people feel about the trade in values versus Gamestop + 10% program?

They give you a new gift card with EACH transaction? I'm fine with that, because it keeps 'em from going flaky from years of use.

The problem with Gamestop is I can't use my credit half the time because they open all the games (unless they have a ton of copies of a brand new game) and then sell them for new prices. So I build up all this credit, and have a heck of a time trying to use it (hurts too that Gamestop typically has worse deals compared to Amazon and Toys R us).

The Amazon thing seems like a complete pain-I mean if they shipped *ME* a box to use, but I don't want to have to buy a box, do all that, keep track of if I was credited, etc.

[quote name='Wolfpup']The problem with Gamestop is I can't use my credit half the time because they open all the games (unless they have a ton of copies of a brand new game) and then sell them for new prices. So I build up all this credit, and have a heck of a time trying to use it (hurts too that Gamestop typically has worse deals compared to Amazon and Toys R us).[/QUOTE]

wah wah, wah wah. buy off their website if you can't find a sealed copy in the store.

Huh? And some of those come used too apparently, and my latest gift card doesn't even have a PIN that scratched off right.

[quote name='grantly']I can also confirm I saw 2 bins of used games at my store (Athens, GA) and that the prices were pretty bad. In some cases, the prices were even higher than gamestop. On the bright side, I didn't see anything without a case and presumably everything was complete, which gamestop doesn't really care about. Trading on sites like CAG or selling through ebay is easily the best way to get rid of my old games so I doubt I'll be using this service, but I'm glad that gamestop has some competition. I don't like how long it takes for every transaction at gamestop stores and since they handle trades at the customer service desk instead of at the videogame counter I think service will faster at TRU.[/QUOTE]
Hey, I'm in Athens as well. Just to do a little shout out. Yeah, the local tru has a bin for the used games.

Toys R Us is accepting games via online

Free Shipping

Here is link:

http://www.toysrustradeincenter.com/

Layout is exactly like Gamers Factory which is probably why that website is down.

Prices are slightly higher than amazons.. but Amazon also had the 50% off, $75 towards consoles, and $30 extra-credit deals though so you have to take that into account.

[quote name='Galego23']Toys R Us is accepting games via online

Free Shipping

Here is link:

http://www.toysrustradeincenter.com/

Layout is exactly like Gamers Factory which is probably why that website is down.

Prices are slightly higher than amazons.. but Amazon also had the 50% off, $75 towards consoles, and $30 extra-credit deals though so you have to take that into account.[/QUOTE]

Those deals are done at Amazon. There is nothing to take into account, except you get amazon credit that can be used on anything.

When I was in the following week, they were remodeling the gaming section and they had a guide on how the shelfs should be configured taped on each shelf. A section was specifically labeled "Tradein Games" the other "New". It has a TRU header and was above each section. So It appears they may be stock pilling at the moment, but based on that guide I would be shocked if they don't sell used games on a regular basis.

[quote name='Snake2715']Those deals are done at Amazon. There is nothing to take into account, except you get amazon credit that can be used on anything.[/QUOTE]

what?

they give different trade in credit depending on if you have the box and manual or not, and the hit for not having them is huge, for example 17.85 for madden without them vs. 35.70 for complete.

I'm really digging this trade-in program. Gives me much more flexibility in spending the credit I build up rather than just having to spend it on games.

Dude, Batman Arkham Asylum is at $39.40

I already beat the game. Have to think you will be able to rebuy the game for $20 or less over the holidays.

[quote name='caltab']they give different trade in credit depending on if you have the box and manual or not, and the hit for not having them is huge, for example 17.85 for madden without them vs. 35.70 for complete.[/QUOTE]

As they should. Don't necessarily want people to be punished for not having the box and manual. But I like the idea of rewarding individuals who take care of their games.

while checking out prices online I noticed an interesting trend, they seem to give less money for collectors editions, for example GoW2, Saints Row 2 and Halo Wars.

[quote name='dino88']^It's the same everywhere that I'm aware of...Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

ya, must be cause they take up more space and have higher shipping costs. but gamestop gives you the same value for them and sells them at the same price as the normal ones.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Dude, Batman Arkham Asylum is at $39.40

I already beat the game. Have to think you will be able to rebuy the game for $20 or less over the holidays.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I just beat the game. I spent $45 on it, so $6 for a three week rental isn't bad...

Alright, I can finally get rid of my useless extras I bought from Sears clearance. $7 for Guitar Hero Aerosmith (PS3) game only.

Nice. I'll be trading in some games to take advantage of TRU's upcoming sale on Scribblenauts and the new Mario & Luigi game.

[quote name='perdition(troy']It's more of a they don't care to deal with old "collectors" games mentality.[/QUOTE]

I guess. Seems like a good deal for the newer stuff though.

I traded in today at the Nanuet, NY TRU. It's so much better than when they started in April, because it actually seemed like they knew what they were doing and they print out a receipt for you now. :applause:

Traded...

Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (XB360)
Touchmaster (DS)
Monster Hunter: Freedom 2 (PSP)
Lego Star Wars 2 (PSP) (traded in for $10.50!)

...for almost $32 bucks. Can't complain about that. The trade-in website mentioned above was 100% accurate for me.

Hmm...been awhile since I went clearance game hunting might as well get 2 birds with 1 stone today. Will post TIVs for my games later

Hey, $8.75 for Quake Wars. Anyone have luck with them taking in multiple copies of a game? Much better to just give to them then sell on Amazon.

[quote name='Drkirby']Hey, $8.75 for Quake Wars. Anyone have luck with them taking in multiple copies of a game? Much better to just give to them then sell on Amazon.[/QUOTE]
Their rules state you can trade up to 3 of the same game.

[quote name='jgressley']Their rules state you can trade up to 3 of the same game.[/QUOTE]
Also, in store, do they give you different values for older games, or is it the flat rate like online?

[quote name='Galego23']what?[/QUOTE]

Um, maybe I am nuts... can you show me where there are bonus deals going on now to trade in to amazon? That was an intro set of offers and there are no trade in promos at amazon now..

Are you talking about something else?

So this means TRU is going to be selling classic games once again? It probably won't be long till BB follows suit.

I traded in 9 games at my local Toys'R Us this morning, and it was very easy. The only issue I had was they did not take my game only copy of "You're In the Movies" because it didn't have a bar code. Game values were exactly the same as those found on the toys'rus trading site.

[quote name='Sad Turtle']Is there somewhere online I could see the values of each trade-in or I have to go in store only[/QUOTE]

facepalm facepalm facepalm

I remember the old days of trading back games back to toy r us. It went something like any 5 used games for a new game. They even accepted sports games. Now they are offering .25 to .50 for games? Not worth it. Better off donating them to charity or selling them of to ebay.

bread's done
Back