Toys R Us Accepting Used Games.... Again - Link to tivs in OP

austenwithane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9167[/IMG-R]Toys R Us has announced its nationwide roll-out of its new video game trade-in program. CAGs prim4444 & cheeky tell us that Toys R Us has partnered with Gamers Factory on this new endeavor.

UPDATES: You can find trade-in values here. They also are accepting trade-ins via mail.

[IMG-R=5198]9173[/IMG-R]CAG Mitch079 provides this picture of used games for sale at his local Toys R us in Atlanta, which contradicts what TRU told Joystiq; that they will not be selling used games to the public, but instead will sell them to a third party.

Here are the important details on the trade-in program:

• Games must be in their original cases with artwork
  • Games can be scratched, but not cracked and customers may only trade-in 3 of the same title
  • Maximum $1000 trade-in per day
  • Games should be brought to the Toys“R”Us Guest Services desk
  • Customers receive an activated gift card equal valid at Toys“R”Us, Babies“R”Us or online at Toysrus.com
  • Games from classic systems are accepted, values range from $0.20 to $0.75

Earlier this year, when Toys R Us first started testing their trade-in program, Shipwreck took a look at the landscape of the trade-in/used video game business.
Original post here:
phear3d posted a blog back in March that his local Toys R Us in NY was accepting trades and that it was a limited trial - And that was all I had heard about that.

Fastforward almost 6 months and I see a sign reading that my local TRU is now accepting USed Games as well. (Langhorne PA)

Has anyone else seen this launh/relaunch in their area?

If I have time tonight I'm going to head up and get a few random trade in values for each system and will post them here to see how it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jer7583']Actually I think retail on Layton is $35 everywhere. Nintendo has been doing that lately.[/QUOTE]

Layton retails for 29.99, the only store that charges 35 is Gamestop which always charges a 5 dollar premium on big ds games released by nintendo, they even do it sometimes with non ds stuff, like the motion plus. There are some DS games that do have a 35 MSRP like mario's and Zelda, but this aint one of em, its just gamestop ripping off the consumer.

[quote name='basketb']dropped more than $10 overnight; only $17 now. Amazon still gives $26.50 but that will change soon too, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Not to be picky, but it didn't actually drop overnight - I checked this morning, and it was still $27.85. This means they either update throughout the day, or, if they update at the same time every day, then the update time is after 8 AM central (sorry I can't be more specific than that). I had hoped to trade it in to TRU tonight, but since it has now dropped, I submitted a trade through Amazon to lock the value before it drops there.

[quote name='guessed']Not to be picky, but it didn't actually drop overnight - I checked this morning, and it was still $27.85. This means they either update throughout the day, or, if they update at the same time every day, then the update time is after 8 AM central (sorry I can't be more specific than that). I had hoped to trade it in to TRU tonight, but since it has now dropped, I submitted a trade through Amazon to lock the value before it drops there.[/QUOTE]

you may wanna give it a shot in store if you are close, a few days ago i traded in xblades after it dropped a couple bucks online, but it gave me the value of the day before. there may be some lag before in store prices are updated. but they may have corrected that since I went.

[quote name='caltab']you may wanna give it a shot in store if you are close, a few days ago i traded in xblades after it dropped a couple bucks online, but it gave me the value of the day before. there may be some lag before in store prices are updated. but they may have corrected that since I went.[/QUOTE]
I thought the same thing, but check TRU website today and it lists Xblades at 8.75 again today. May have been a glitch...

Will CAG add a slot for Toys 'R Us for the trade-in value option when you click on a game here? I think that could be useful to compare with Amazon, etc. :)

[quote name='guessed']Not to be picky, but it didn't actually drop overnight - I checked this morning, and it was still $27.85. This means they either update throughout the day, or, if they update at the same time every day, then the update time is after 8 AM central (sorry I can't be more specific than that). I had hoped to trade it in to TRU tonight, but since it has now dropped, I submitted a trade through Amazon to lock the value before it drops there.[/QUOTE]
And it's back up to $27.85. So they do change quite a few times a day.

[quote name='snapthizzlepop']Will CAG add a slot for Toys 'R Us for the trade-in value option when you click on a game here? I think that could be useful to compare with Amazon, etc. :)[/QUOTE]Look for some big additions soon!

I know I'm probably better off just going to the store, but has anyone had any luck mailing in games? I just printed out their free shipping label and I noticed they are sending it Media Mail, which I hear SUCKS for video games.

Also, I printed out one label and invoice when X-Blades was $6.30 and Batman: AA was $43.05 but now I just printed one out where X-Blades is $8.75 and Batman: AA is $43.60. If I send in the better one, will I be guaranteed that gift card amount or is it subject to fluctuate along with the website? I printed out the cheaper TIV first, so will it automatically give me that or will they adhere to whichever invoice I send in?

I'll likely wind up going to the store tomorrow, just thought I'd ask about the mailing option.

[quote name='mcgavin27']I tried trading in Prototype (360) on Tuesday but the system wouldn't allow it. Their excuse was "It was too new of a game".[/QUOTE]

That's bullcrap because both DiRT 2 and NFS: Shift are both on the trade-in web site, which the store should be able to access.

Adding my experience to the list. Said they had done two trade in's.

Took them ONE HOUR to process my games. They had a new computer installed, they didn't have the trade in program installed, had to call tech support after going through every employee they had trying to get it working, and the tech support eventually did a remote access to install the program for them. At first, after waiting that long, the tech support told them to tell me to go and come back. They said I'd been waiting a while, so the tech support pushed through an expedited request to do the install.

Anyways. After that long, long wait in a dead store, they rang up Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction, Burnout Paradise City, and Lair fine. Prices matched those of toysrustradeincenter or whatever perfectly. Great, right? Yeah, until they rang up that last game...

Got to Batman: Arkam Asylum, which is currently listed as 43.60 or something close to that online. Denied. Rejected. I almost laughed. That's half of what I was trading in for Halo3 ODST + enough to go with the $20 gc toward Gears of War 2.

No go. I've emailed the trade in website for more info. So YMMV with M games, even very new ones. Still, I took the GC for the other games as it was almost enough for God of War Compilation either way. I'd just prefer to get ODST there on credit.

Sure, I can do it through mail, but unfortunately I've got surgery on Wednesday, so it looks like I might miss out on the gc promotion. Wish there was a logical reason why they won't take M games (since they take 'em online).

Uh oh...do you think being M rated was the issue? I traded in a big pile, but I'm trying to remember if any of them were M rated...I'd guess so...hmm, no Turning Point was T, uh...hmm.

I *so* want this to work out, because it just is so much easier to spend money there than Open-Gamestop.

Is it possible that their website is shipping games to a third party to be sold, and their B&M locations are running off of that program to sell the games in store? That would explain their resistance to some M rated games. I was perusing the used section in store, and did notice at least a couple of M rated titles.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Adding my experience to the list. Said they had done two trade in's.

Took them ONE HOUR to process my games. They had a new computer installed, they didn't have the trade in program installed, had to call tech support after going through every employee they had trying to get it working, and the tech support eventually did a remote access to install the program for them. At first, after waiting that long, the tech support told them to tell me to go and come back. They said I'd been waiting a while, so the tech support pushed through an expedited request to do the install.

Anyways. After that long, long wait in a dead store, they rang up Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction, Burnout Paradise City, and Lair fine. Prices matched those of toysrustradeincenter or whatever perfectly. Great, right? Yeah, until they rang up that last game...

Got to Batman: Arkam Asylum, which is currently listed as 43.60 or something close to that online. Denied. Rejected. I almost laughed. That's half of what I was trading in for Halo3 ODST + enough to go with the $20 gc toward Gears of War 2.

No go. I've emailed the trade in website for more info. So YMMV with M games, even very new ones. Still, I took the GC for the other games as it was almost enough for God of War Compilation either way. I'd just prefer to get ODST there on credit.

Sure, I can do it through mail, but unfortunately I've got surgery on Wednesday, so it looks like I might miss out on the gc promotion. Wish there was a logical reason why they won't take M games (since they take 'em online).[/QUOTE]

Was it the Gamestop exclusive Batman:AA? If so, it has a different UPC # than the normal edition available elsewhere. Also, the game is ONLY rated Teen. I know because I have that very version.

My trade-in experience was pretty interesting.

Proceed to customer service with 7 games to trade-in. Woman has no idea what I mean and tells me to head over to electronics (videogame area). Walk over to electronics and man tells me to head over to customer service. I explain to him that the woman at c.s sent me to him and I could go back again but I'd only wind up in an infinite loop which may rip a hole in time. Wasn't really worth the risk.

Electronics guy has no idea how to do trade-ins so he asks the manager. Manager comes over and tells me I get $6 for each game (no matter what the title) and I need the box and instructions. I politely tell him that's impossible so we head over to begin the process. Batman - $43, Wolfenstein $36, and so on. He realizes each game is different so we both laugh. He shows the c.s woman how to do trade-ins so now the next person that comes in doesn't have to go through the same agony.

$146 in credit later I head over to electronics and pick something out. I dont know about you but I can't leave a store with that much credit and nothing else. So I figure Marval Alliance 2 looks fun, hey why not. Bring the display box over to the same electronics man as before (this is where it gets weird). He looks at me and says thanks, then walks over to the PS3 case, unlocks it, (I gave him a 360 game) and puts it on the shelf. He then turns around and just stands there for 5 minutes. Thinking he's waiting for the key to unlock the 360 shelves, I say "Are you waiting for the key to unlock the 360 shelves?"

He looks at me like I have twelve heads and says "No, what do you mean?" Apparently he thought I was helping him clean the store and didn't want to actually purchase a game. I then explain to him I want to buy the game I handed him. He is still confused by somehow manages to ring the game up. I double check that he didnt sell me a display case and didn't mistake my store credit for a sandwich.

Whoa...thanks for sharing! That really does feel like a Twilight Zone experience :lol: I can only imagine what other weird experiences you could have at that Toy's R Us :D

[quote name='robot']My trade-in experience was pretty interesting.

Proceed to customer service with 7 games to trade-in. Woman has no idea what I mean and tells me to head over to electronics (videogame area). Walk over to electronics and man tells me to head over to customer service. I explain to him that the woman at c.s sent me to him and I could go back again but I'd only wind up in an infinite loop which may rip a hole in time. Wasn't really worth the risk.

Electronics guy has no idea how to do trade-ins so he asks the manager. Manager comes over and tells me I get $6 for each game (no matter what the title) and I need the box and instructions. I politely tell him that's impossible so we head over to begin the process. Batman - $43, Wolfenstein $36, and so on. He realizes each game is different so we both laugh. He shows the c.s woman how to do trade-ins so now the next person that comes in doesn't have to go through the same agony.

$146 in credit later I head over to electronics and pick something out. I dont know about you but I can't leave a store with that much credit and nothing else. So I figure Marval Alliance 2 looks fun, hey why not. Bring the display box over to the same electronics man as before (this is where it gets weird). He looks at me and says thanks, then walks over to the PS3 case, unlocks it, (I gave him a 360 game) and puts it on the shelf. He then turns around and just stands there for 5 minutes. Thinking he's waiting for the key to unlock the 360 shelves, I say "Are you waiting for the key to unlock the 360 shelves?"

He looks at me like I have twelve heads and says "No, what do you mean?" Apparently he thought I was helping him clean the store and didn't want to actually purchase a game. I then explain to him I want to buy the game I handed him. He is still confused by somehow manages to ring the game up. I double check that he didnt sell me a display case and didn't mistake my store credit for a sandwich.[/QUOTE]

Hilarious.

I don't think I'll bother with an in store trade in.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Was it the Gamestop exclusive Batman:AA? If so, it has a different UPC # than the normal edition available elsewhere. Also, the game is ONLY rated Teen. I know because I have that very version.[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with you on this one as I just traded in Batman the other day. Are there any defining marks on the Gamestop exclusive one (like does it say so on the cover)?

[quote name='OGHowie']Hilarious.

I don't think I'll bother with an in store trade in.[/QUOTE]

Well, honestly mine went great. Just about as painless as it could have been. I'm hoping it stays that way!

He looks at me like I have twelve heads and says "No, what do you mean?" Apparently he thought I was helping him clean the store and didn't want to actually purchase a game. I then explain to him I want to buy the game I handed him. He is still confused by somehow manages to ring the game up. I double check that he didnt sell me a display case and didn't mistake my store credit for a sandwich.[/QUOTE]

Greatest. Story. EVER.

By contrast, I had a very nice, concise experience. I double-checked that they were doing trades (yes), could i do them at CS (yes), and did the trade. Kind of underwhelming and also almost wish i had the last half of your experience.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Was it the Gamestop exclusive Batman:AA? If so, it has a different UPC # than the normal edition available elsewhere. Also, the game is ONLY rated Teen. I know because I have that very version.[/QUOTE]

You know. That's probably exactly what it was. Thanks. I had already checked my Halo 3 and saw it had no bar code so I didn't bother, but it didn't occur to me that my GS Batman would be different.

Makes sense. I'm checking their website now anyway.

Fantastic post. Incredibly entertaining.

good stuff... this almost makes we wanna do something like this on purpose next time I'm working..

I was worried about trading in the "Forza 2/Marvel Ultimate Alliance" combo game that came with my system because it didn't have a UPC code. So before I left for the store with all my games, I went to the TRU TIV website, looked up the combo game and printed out the sheet. The employee was able to type in the SKU #. No problems or hassles.

[quote name='BLAZETIGER']Have to agree with you on this one as I just traded in Batman the other day. Are there any defining marks on the Gamestop exclusive one (like does it say so on the cover)?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']You know. That's probably exactly what it was. Thanks. I had already checked my Halo 3 and saw it had no bar code so I didn't bother, but it didn't occur to me that my GS Batman would be different.

Makes sense. I'm checking their website now anyway.[/QUOTE]

Aside from the 'Gamestop Exclusive' sticker that was on the shrinkwrap before I opened my copy of the game, the UPC is the only way to tell the difference.

The normal UPC # is:827307773860
The Gamestop Exclusive UPC# is: 788687500982

So yeah, there is quite a difference in the UPC's there. Only way to get them to take the GS exclusive one would be to go to GS and find a used copy and have them swap out for a different coverart with the UPC that gets $43.60.

Oh and btw, I received my missing $7 worth of credit on a second gift card today in the mail. So, if you have a discrepancy between the site and store for trades, let the people running the program know and they should refund you the difference.

Funny story. I did a trade-in today for some mostly older original Xbox titles and had no problems. It all went very smooth. Going to use the extra store credit next week when Halo 3:ODST comes out.

Thanks guys, glad you got a kick out of it. To be fair I'm willing to bet I was the first person to trade-in games in at that store. But the whole experience was so sureal from start to finish, it's like Jeffrey the Giraffe knew I was coming and brought in a team of all-stars.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Aside from the 'Gamestop Exclusive' sticker that was on the shrinkwrap before I opened my copy of the game, the UPC is the only way to tell the difference.

The normal UPC # is:827307773860
The Gamestop Exclusive UPC# is: 788687500982

So yeah, there is quite a difference in the UPC's there. Only way to get them to take the GS exclusive one would be to go to GS and find a used copy and have them swap out for a different coverart with the UPC that gets $43.60.

Oh and btw, I received my missing $7 worth of credit on a second gift card today in the mail. So, if you have a discrepancy between the site and store for trades, let the people running the program know and they should refund you the difference.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is a different alright. Given my hour long wait for them to process the change AND the fact they can't seem to read anything but the most generic UPC for the game despite the fact it is the same game, I think I'm just going to stick with Gamestop and their 25%/20% bonus deals.

Toys R Us is too much trouble. God forbid I get a store specific version of the same game that has MORE than the standard version, right? I'm supposed to keep track of all these versions. Eh.

I'll add my $20 to the 38 and get ODST, but I'm done with Toys R Us.

Actually, I would've probably gone into GS and saw if one of the clerks would've been able to give me the artwork for Batman:AA from one of the non-GS specific copies and just swap out for that artwork.

That's probably what I'll do if I end up getting rid of Batman:AA anytime soon.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I would've probably gone into GS and saw if one of the clerks would've been able to give me the artwork for Batman:AA from one of the non-GS specific copies and just swap out for that artwork.

That's probably what I'll do if I end up getting rid of Batman:AA anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

So you'd go into a GS, tell them you need the cover art for a PS3 version of the game that they did not sell to the original buyer, then have them go through each version until they found one you liked, and then have them swap the cover art (or the case), eh?

And why would they do this again? What reason are you giving them? Because you're selling it to Toys R Us or are you making up something else entirely?

See, my local Gamestop's would stop at the moment you asked them to do work for free...

My one local GS has been giving me free PS3 cases just because I asked. Even funnier is that they've been giving me complete cases with coverart and manuals for some of these games(titles like GTAIV, NFG: Pro Street, NCAA Football 09 and Madden 09). But yeah, asking for a different coverart for a copy of B:AA would probably get some strange looks from some and I'd probably be denied in every other GS around here, but the ones that's been giving me PS3 cases would probably do it if I asked nicely enough.

[quote name='reddjoey']I may try for it on Sat or Sun.[/QUOTE]

Just an update. The trade in when fine. They did give me a flimsy (like paper) giftcard and for some reason refused my Lego Batman. After football, I'm going to call customer service or try in through the mail.

Overall, it was quick and painless. Good TIV's for the crap I traded.

I just traded in my Gamestop upc version of Batman and it scanned in just fine. Shoot I even made money on the trade in. Selling the DLC code for $20 on eBay brought the game cost down to $40 and I got $43.60 for the trade in.

Got another $25 for infamous too and picked up a new copy of Marvel UA2 for 360 for $50 due to the funny bit in the sales ad. Not to shabby if you ask me.

As long as TRU keeps doing free gift cards with game purchases I will be doing all my trade ins there and hopefully leaving Gamestop in the dust.

The Toys R Us in San Mateo, CA accepts used games. I traded in: Sonic Rush and Rock Band Country...gonna use the credit towards Halo 3 ODST. My girlfriend traded in a bunch of DS games and a few Wii and got over $100.

I traded in eight 360 games today in-store with absolutely no problems. I walked to the service desk, the woman scanned them all, asked me if the price was correct (which it was, all in-store values were the same as online), and then she gave me my $236 credit. I traded in the following BTW:

Madden 10 x2
Batman: AA
Prototype
UFC 2009
Tiger Woods 10
Gears of War 2
Fight Night Round 4

Couldn't have been an easier process.

Just here to report another painless trade-in experience. I was planning on shipping my games (3 copies of X-Blades and Batman: AA) since the TIV value for X-Blades shot back up to $8.75 a piece but after I saw that TRU uses Media Mail, I decided to just check the store and see if maybe I would luck out and get the same quote I did online. Sure enough, I did, and walked out with $69.XX in credit.

The only mildly painful part of the whole ordeal was the fact that the Customer Service desk was also the only register open in the store, so I had to stand in line with a bunch of noisy kids. But the girl behind the counter saw I was holding onto some games and called her manager over before I even got to the counter so that he could show her how to ring up game trades.

[quote name='AceHazard']I just traded in my Gamestop upc version of Batman and it scanned in just fine. Shoot I even made money on the trade in. Selling the DLC code for $20 on eBay brought the game cost down to $40 and I got $43.60 for the trade in.

[/QUOTE]

Gonna have to recant my previous theory regarding the Gamestop Exclusive game as yesterday I decided to take advantage of the weekly GS coupon and picked up 4 Batman AA's and a Madden 10 to trade in to TRU. 3 of the Batman's were PS3 versions, but the last one was a "Gamestop Exclusive" xbox 360 version. The GS Exclusive game scanned no problems along with all the other Batmans. Got $43 and change for each one plus $41 for Madden 10. All these were picked up for @ $35 at GS.

[quote name='thegame85']The Toys R Us in San Mateo, CA accepts used games. I traded in: Sonic Rush and Rock Band Country...gonna use the credit towards Halo 3 ODST. My girlfriend traded in a bunch of DS games and a few Wii and got over $100.[/QUOTE]

hopefully that means the one in Hayward is accepting trades cuz im gonna go in tuesday to trade games and get odst

edit:wtf they take the mua/forza 2 bundle!?
http://www.toysrustradeincenter.com/X36/productdetails.aspx?productid=6806

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BLAZETIGER']Gonna have to recant my previous theory regarding the Gamestop Exclusive game as yesterday I decided to take advantage of the weekly GS coupon and picked up 4 Batman AA's and a Madden 10 to trade in to TRU. 3 of the Batman's were PS3 versions, but the last one was a "Gamestop Exclusive" xbox 360 version. The GS Exclusive game scanned no problems along with all the other Batmans. Got $43 and change for each one plus $41 for Madden 10. All these were picked up for @ $35 at GS.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't make any sense then. Why would Batman AA PS3 GS exclusive work in one Toys R Us, but not another? I mean, I get that they were having problems, but they scanned the rest and the prices were all perfect duplicas of the ones on the site.

But Batman doesn't go and the site does not list the proper SKU. Now others are getting it to go, but I can't? Someone call me when they can type the name in...

I traded in a bunch of games that had been rejected by Amazon. I normally wouldn't seek TRU credit, but these were basically paperweights and pretty suspect games. All were accepted. I don't have a clue what to use $125 in TRU credit on right now, but something will come along I'm sure. Actually if I remember right, they usually do a buy 2 get 1 free deal around this time of year every year. I might jump on that although I'm not lacking for games right now.

First bad experience. I emailed TRU customer service about LEGO Batman not showing up and they asked me to reply with the UPC so they could add it to the system. Went in today and still didn't work. It looks like they don't work weekends and updates take a while. Also the value of one of my games fell $2.75. So it looks like the values change daily like Amazon

Also they will give you a new gift card everytime as they can't add value to a card with the current setup. The CSR offered to combine all my cards, but I declined as I will be getting a few more in the morning on the ODST run.

bread's done
Back