Toys R Us Accepting Used Games.... Again - Link to tivs in OP

austenwithane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9167[/IMG-R]Toys R Us has announced its nationwide roll-out of its new video game trade-in program. CAGs prim4444 & cheeky tell us that Toys R Us has partnered with Gamers Factory on this new endeavor.

UPDATES: You can find trade-in values here. They also are accepting trade-ins via mail.

[IMG-R=5198]9173[/IMG-R]CAG Mitch079 provides this picture of used games for sale at his local Toys R us in Atlanta, which contradicts what TRU told Joystiq; that they will not be selling used games to the public, but instead will sell them to a third party.

Here are the important details on the trade-in program:

• Games must be in their original cases with artwork
  • Games can be scratched, but not cracked and customers may only trade-in 3 of the same title
  • Maximum $1000 trade-in per day
  • Games should be brought to the Toys“R”Us Guest Services desk
  • Customers receive an activated gift card equal valid at Toys“R”Us, Babies“R”Us or online at Toysrus.com
  • Games from classic systems are accepted, values range from $0.20 to $0.75

Earlier this year, when Toys R Us first started testing their trade-in program, Shipwreck took a look at the landscape of the trade-in/used video game business.
Original post here:
phear3d posted a blog back in March that his local Toys R Us in NY was accepting trades and that it was a limited trial - And that was all I had heard about that.

Fastforward almost 6 months and I see a sign reading that my local TRU is now accepting USed Games as well. (Langhorne PA)

Has anyone else seen this launh/relaunch in their area?

If I have time tonight I'm going to head up and get a few random trade in values for each system and will post them here to see how it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
the other thing I noticed was, TRU has accepted new games/unopened. GS screams bloody murder and tells you to leave the store if you try to trade in a sealed game. This happened to be before with a Halo 2 promo I got for working with Mircosoft during a convention.

I like TRU's TIV's a lot more, they're better than GS's without the power trade up bonuses, with the power trade GS is about the same as TRU...though not everyone wants or as 4 + games to trade everytime.

[quote name='Snake2715']how long did you think it would last?[/QUOTE]

I was hoping they would somehow miss that that value was super high and leave it at almost $44 for about another week(ie until I could play another quick runthrough AND let my one buddy finish playing it:D).

I can't say I'm really THAT surprised, since the TIV's are leagues better than Gamestop's in some cases.

I just wish I got off my ass last week and dumped it, since I know I'll probably be able to find the game used or on clearance for $20 within 6 months.

Oh well, now it looks like I'm going to really be keeping the game. Mind you, it IS a fun game, but I'm not one to go back and try to 100% any game anymore(not after missing 1-2 packages in Vice City for the 100%).

After calling one of my locals Toys R Us here in Miami and asking the electronics department if they accept trade-ins, i went to the store with about 5 games to trade-in, 3 XBOX360 and 2 Wii games, but I was shot down by customer service and by the manager. They told me that they only accept trade-ins for old systems and that the newest system they take games for is for the Sega Dreamcast :roll:, that the games were too new to trade-in.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']fuck! I knew it was too good to last. Batman:AA for both PS3 and 360 has dropped to $30 something each.

Dammit!!

Oh well....now I KNOW I'm keeping the game, since I can get $30 or so from Rapestop with their $5 bonus promo, so the TIV's are even now.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Now im totally glad i traded mine when I did. just in time. Havent gotten the GC yet, but plan to use it towards COD: MW2.

last week I tried selling my world at war at tru. Sent it to guest services to this mid aged lady. Just when she was about to confirm everything she was pressing on the computer monitor lol. I told her to try pressing enter, since the ok button was highlighted. Told me it was a long weekend...I bet. But after what was said and done the cannot sell return to owner message appeared. I was told to try again another time, which sucked because I planned to use that trade in for odst. I tried again today and was able to get the gift card without any problems. (though there was a huge ass line full of parents getting their free balloon for their kids and/or refunding overpriced toys.)

Guess I'll use the gift card I got for odst and from trading in waw for modern warfare 2

Wow, I can get my money back plus a little more on some newer stuff I just bought and am already tired of. Going to TRU tomorrow.

I feel slightly insulted in how they shipped me my Giftcard. Plan brown envelope with a clasp, large shipping label the same style you use to ship it to them, gift card being lose, and nothing enclosed except the same manifest you included with the package (With bonus staple!)

[quote name='Drkirby']I feel slightly insulted in how they shipped me my Giftcard. Plan brown envelope with a clasp, large shipping label the same style you use to ship it to them, gift card being lose, and nothing enclosed except the same manifest you included with the package (With bonus staple!)[/QUOTE]

yea i agree. I just got my giftcard and its stupid and lazy of them to give a flimsy giftcard instead of the regular hard plastic ones.

[quote name='Drkirby']I feel slightly insulted in how they shipped me my Giftcard. Plan brown envelope with a clasp, large shipping label the same style you use to ship it to them, gift card being lose, and nothing enclosed except the same manifest you included with the package (With bonus staple!)[/QUOTE]

You should feel special then. I just received a gift card from them in the plain brown envelope, shipping label, but nothing besides the gift card inside. They didn't even include a copy of the packing slip. Funny thing is, for this trade, they haven't even updated online that it was received or processed.

I've got 3 more outstanding trades with them...all were received by them 5+ days ago and they have not updated the status on any of them either. I also e-mailed them over 24 hours ago and have received no response yet.

Ah, anther one in now. This time with a Photocopy of the manafest instead of the orignal... or the first page at least. You know, I am not even sure they are checking.

This is probably not going to end well, but are people really complaining about the feel of the gift card and the method it was shipped by/in? Look on the bright side, Amazon never gave me a gift card, they just put it on my"account." ;)

Could anyone please tell me how long it normally takes to receive the GC? It has been 7 days since they received my games, but I have not received anything yet.

I'm definitely not. If I was going to try to do it through the mail, I'd do Amazon probably. But I'm not going to try to find boxes, etc., etc., etc. Woudln't be doing Toy's R us if not for the in-store part.

This can't last too long at the current TIVs, can it? Smash Bros. Brawl is 22.xx, the game's only worth 30 TOPS. GF pays shipping plus gives TRU their cut.. How much can they really mark up 1000 copies?

[quote name='ivanctorres']This is in store Also?
Seems like everyone is opting to do trades online.[/QUOTE]

I've only traded games in-store. You have to go to the front desk and it may take a little while for someone to get to you, but other than that it's quick & painless.

[quote name='basketb']I did it in-store a few times. Quick and painless each time.[/QUOTE]
I wish I could do the trade-ins at the store, but my local TRU (Valencia, CA) is NOT participating the program. Therefore, the mail-in is the only option for me at this time.

Question.
I realize the differences per state...but...
When I trade at GS, I am able to use my credit to buy items with no sales tax. (here 9%)
If I trade at TRU and receive a Gift Card...I will pay tax on items bought, yes?
Has anyone used a TRU trade in game gift card and Not been charged tax on the sale?
I'm asking in anticipation of all the Oct./Nov. titles we want to buy new...wondering if we should rack up some TRU credit.
Thanks in advance.

I wonder if the TIV is the same on Ratchet & Clank Future in-store as it is on the site($10 right now), since I'd easily take another $10 in credit since the game is just sitting on my TL since it's not complete(missing manual).

bread's done
Back