Toys R Us commits an error with MLB The Show for Vita

Central Scrutinizer

CAGiversary!
I went in on Tuesday to pick up MLB The Show 2012 for the Vita, and use the $20 gift card I had received the week before, when I bought $50 worth of Vita games and accessories. I was also looking forward to taking advantage of their "Buy one, get a second game half-price" deal.

The game was not out on display, even though every other game that became available that day, including the PS3 version of the game, was out for sale. The person working in the games area said they had not received it, and it would not be available until March 8th.

I left the store and went by BestBuy, Wal-Mart, and Target, all of which had the game out on display for immediate purchase. Upon arriving home, I checked the ToysRUs website, which stated that the release date was March 8th, and invited me to place a preorder.

I am not sure how an entire corporation managed to screw up a release date like this, to the point of not sending stock to stores for the proper launch date, but I asked why in the email complaint that I sent. I went out of my way to shop at TRU both last week and this week, and will have to go out of my way again tomorrow. I will have saved $20, but at the cost of probably $10 in gas and a couple of hours of my life, which really makes it less than worth it. How they deal with this matter will determine if I continue to consider them when planning out game-related purchases. Stay tuned.

So I found myself over near TRU this morning (I had other business in the area), and decided to drop in to pick it up.

In spite of being told in the store on Tuesday that it would be available today, it was not. The store had received their shipment for the day, and it was not in it.

I went to the ToysRUs website just now, and was informed of the following:

Backordered

• Our Price: $39.99
  • Out of stock for shipping
  • Not eligible for Store Pickup
  • Not sold in stores
So, I'm looking at this, and now I'm thinking that somehow ToysRUs didn't even order any copies of the Vita version of this game. It's not in stores, and it's not available online. It sucks, because I really wanted to use the $20 discount I had on this game, while also taking advantage of the "buy one, get one half-off" offer they had this week, but it looks like that's not going to happen, given the game isn't available at all.

Actually, yeah, I am. I mean, I go out of my way last week to shop at TRU to get the gaming coupon so I can apply it to this specific game, and then when launch day rolls around, and I go out of my way to shop there again, it's nowhere to be seen. I return to the store to buy it today, a day I had been told it would be available, and it's not only not available at the store, it's not available anywhere in the entire corporation.

If I had driven across town and they had been sold out, that would be my bad luck. Luck had nothing to do with this. This is all on TRU simply dropping the ball as far as getting this game to market.

Not so mad I'll have an aneurysm, not even close, but mad enough that if I don't get a reasonable answer to my complaint, I won't be shopping at TRU again.

Why don't you head over to the trade forum and see if anyone is offering it for trade? Tell them you can pick up any Vita game they want.

Here's the form email I received from TRU:

Dear (first and last name),

We apologize for not having the MLB 12: The Show for Sony PlayStation® Vita on the day you were expecting it. This may have been due to manufacturer delays or or shipping delays by the manufacturer. We do our best to keep this from happening but is not always the case.

Again, (first and last name), we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,

Jim 3898
Corporate Guest Relations

As you can see, Jim put a lot of thought and effort into that form letter. Do you think they made him cut and paste my name and the name of the product into it, or was that all automatically generated by the computer?

Nice to see ToysRUs take responsibility for their errors....wait, I meant to say "Nice to see ToysRUs try to pass the buck for their own incompetence on to the manufacturer, even though the manufacturer clearly didn't do anything wrong."

Since they did technically apologize, I'll apologize, too: I'm sorry I won't be spending any money in your stores again, and I'm also sorry I'll be advising everyone I know to do the same.

Guess if they are too big to realize they didn't order any copies of the game, they're too big to give a fuck if someone complains about it. Action noted, and in the future, I will shop accordingly.

[quote name='Central Scrutinizer']Here's the form email I received from TRU:

Dear (first and last name),

We apologize for not having the MLB 12: The Show for Sony PlayStation® Vita on the day you were expecting it. This may have been due to manufacturer delays or or shipping delays by the manufacturer. We do our best to keep this from happening but is not always the case.

Again, (first and last name), we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,

Jim 3898
Corporate Guest Relations

As you can see, Jim put a lot of thought and effort into that form letter. Do you think they made him cut and paste my name and the name of the product into it, or was that all automatically generated by the computer?

Nice to see ToysRUs take responsibility for their errors....wait, I meant to say "Nice to see ToysRUs try to pass the buck for their own incompetence on to the manufacturer, even though the manufacturer clearly didn't do anything wrong."

Since they did technically apologize, I'll apologize, too: I'm sorry I won't be spending any money in your stores again, and I'm also sorry I'll be advising everyone I know to do the same.

Guess if they are too big to realize they didn't order any copies of the game, they're too big to give a fuck if someone complains about it. Action noted, and in the future, I will shop accordingly.[/QUOTE]

That automated letter is more than you deserved, you whiny bitch.

:lol:Awesome replies. But question: Why hasn't anyone queried the OP as of yet as to why they were so mad they couldn't buy a sports game day one as opposed to waiting 2-3 months and getting it for 1/3 or more off?;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol:Awesome replies. But question: Why hasn't anyone queried the OP as of yet as to why they were so mad they couldn't buy a sports game day one as opposed to waiting 2-3 months and getting it for 1/3 or more off?;)[/QUOTE]

Do you ever give your gimmick a rest?

Or do you just like asking questions with obvious answers, like in this case: "OP wanted to own and play the game now, as opposed to waiting 2-3 months to buy and play it."

Why go to a movie theater and pay $10 to see the latest release this weekend? Wait 2-3 months and see it at the $2 theater. Wait 6 months and see it for $1 on DVD from Redbox! Wait 6 years and see it for FREE as the local broadcast Saturday afternoon movie.

Jesus.

[quote name='kodave']Do you ever give your gimmick a rest?

Or do you just like asking questions with obvious answers, like in this case: "OP wanted to own and play the game now, as opposed to waiting 2-3 months to buy and play it."

Why go to a movie theater and pay $10 to see the latest release this weekend? Wait 2-3 months and see it at the $2 theater. Wait 6 months and see it for $1 on DVD from Redbox! Wait 6 years and see it for FREE as the local broadcast Saturday afternoon movie.

Jesus.[/QUOTE]
I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw a movie in an actual theater. Most of the stuff that Hollywood puts out now is utter garbage.

But no, I'm always 'in character'.

As for responding to my response, it's good to know I've got another stalker on here in case confoosious ever gets bored of pointing out my 'errors'.;)

While I already made my full feelings on TRU very clear in another thread, I'll keep it simple in this thread and just leave it at they pretty much suck now. They've lost sight of keeping customers happy in their stores and I have a feeling it won't be long before it catches up with them again.

I'm actually quite surprised so many people are coming down on the OP in this thread given that he has a somewhat legitimate complaint. I wonder how people's opinions would have changed if it was one of the already well-vilified companies like Best Buy or Gamestop that pulled this crap? At any rate, you've made the right decision to stop shopping there. I don't even take the time to stroll through there anymore as there doesn't seem to be much point anymore, let alone specifically go there to buy anything. Despite that buy 1 get 1 Mario deal this week and the fact that I really want Mario Party 9, I just can't bring myself to step foot in there anymore.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw a movie in an actual theater. Most of the stuff that Hollywood puts out now is utter garbage.

But no, I'm always 'in character'.

As for responding to my response, it's good to know I've got another stalker on here in case confoosious ever gets bored of pointing out my 'errors'.;)[/QUOTE]

Don't flatter yourself. You and confoosious can keep having your make out sessions or whatever it is that creeps into the threads you both post in.

bread's done
Back