Toys R Us Used Game Trade in program

stone1061

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I searched and only found old information from back in March about this but want to post that the Toms River, NJ store has signs up that you can trade in games. I got a big "I don't know" from the RZone employee who claimed he also saw the sign for the first time.
Customer service was just also not aware of specifics.
I'm going to try again Sunday to get more information.

We are going to start taking in games sometime in August. I think towards the end of the month. I don't know when exactly we are going to start selling them though. Once we've received a certain amount were going to send them all off to get resurfaced. Don't know many of the details about whether we will be taking disc only games or if it has to come in a case and manual.

I heard some employees talking about this a ocuple weeks ago, commenting that their trade values are pretty much a joke. Said some kid took in 10 modern gen games and got $40 total credit. 10 games that probably cost $60 apiece. Wow... video gaming is a way to lose money in a hurry anymore.

When you consider what GameStop's trade-in values are, it isn't really surprising. Ever since the used game market was dominated by big business, everything has become automated and sterile. This also results in used-game sellers getting the shaft. (no flexibility on sale prices, low sale prices...even for mint games, etc...)

At the same time, this will actually provide GameStop with serious competition in the used gaming market. The Toys-R-Us near me has been offering used games for several weeks now. And I am more likely to go there for used game shopping, since they will apparently be carrying older games. I likes me some cartridges and harder-to-find titles. GameStop gave up on carrying those years ago.

[quote name='Richard Kain']When you consider what GameStop's trade-in values are, it isn't really surprising. Ever since the used game market was dominated by big business, everything has become automated and sterile. This also results in used-game sellers getting the shaft. (no flexibility on sale prices, low sale prices...even for mint games, etc...)

At the same time, this will actually provide GameStop with serious competition in the used gaming market. The Toys-R-Us near me has been offering used games for several weeks now. And I am more likely to go there for used game shopping, since they will apparently be carrying older games. I likes me some cartridges and harder-to-find titles. GameStop gave up on carrying those years ago.[/QUOTE]

I just read on Joystiq that TRU will not be selling the used games, but rather selling them to an unnamed third party.

"Update: Toys R Us is not getting into the used games resale business, it is merely accepting the used merchandise. A representative for the company tells us the games "are taken by a third party company that refurbishes them for resale." We're still following up to find out what company that would be. We'll update again when we find out." - Joystiq

[quote name='Swift900']I just read on Joystiq that TRU will not be selling the used games, but rather selling them to an unnamed third party.[/QUOTE]

Although I'm fine with them being refurbished, TRU just lost some sales if they don't intend to distribute these games in their stores. And this will probably mean an additional middle-man, which will unnaturally inflate the prices of these older games. Crap on a stick!

this is my first time posting so i will start off by saying HI to everyone.

been a long time listener to the cagcast but never really had time to to sign up , anyways to the reason i am posting . I listen to another podcast called deadpixellive and they read the news concerning Toys R us's new trade-in program. The host DerrickH decided to call a store to ask which consoles do they except games from and how much he will get for them.

[youtube]qt2AckNwzbg[/youtube]

bread's done
Back