TP43D2-A7 dead, i think

ricky715

CAGiversary!
well i got my new system, and it ran fine for a while, untill it randomly locked up for no reason at all. I knew it was not an os or driver issue, since it would lock up while browsing the bios sometimes. For a while i thought it was the ram timings on my OCZ platinum pc6400 2x1gb since the mobo didnt pick the timings up right by default, but when i changed it to stock settings, the hardlocks didnt go away.

I rma'd the board back to newegg. I realized the first time i put it into my case i forgot to put it on standoffs, which was realllllly stupid, and it shorted out. For the first hour or so it ran fine, but after that i couldnt get it to stay stable without locking up for any period of time.

After a while it stopped booting all together, no post or anything. When i press the power button it takes a few seconds to start up. I've checked he power supply on another system, so i dont think that is the problem. The led status usually shows up as VGA error, with or without a card in. I have an EVGA 8800gs non-superclocked. I havent been able to test it with another card since i dont have another one to test it with. I'm pretty sure that it is not the 8800 since it used to beep the 8 or so times when i didnt put the card in on first post, so im pretty sure its either the mobo or the memory. I really doubt it is the memory though, i think if the memory was jacked up it wouldnt act like this, or at least it would post sometimes.

I needed the build before school starts, which is monday. So I rma'd the board for a refund, and got the customer service rep to remove the 15% restock. Then i proceeded to order the same one again, with next day ups.

That was a verrry bad idea. I was outside when a ups truck pulled up to my house on the estimated delivery date. The UPS driver got out of the truck, looked in the back, and drove off. I called UPS and they said that they may have lost the package and to call back tommorrow.

Next Day

I called back to find that the package is still lost. They said to call Newegg to get an investigation started. Newegg said that I could not start an investigation as the estimated delivery date was now 8/8/08, one day after the actual one. UPS does this becuase the system just pushes the date forward when something of this nature happens. They told me to call back the next day, Saturday, to get it refunded.

Next day

NEWEGG is fuckING CLOSED. She told me to call back the next day (not buissness day, next day, she utterd the word Saturday) Now I have to wait untill monday to raise some hell. And guess what? My rebates expired since I didnt want to turn them in just in case some of the parts were defective. Now i'm out $120 bucks untill monday, and i lost 70 in rebates!

What I'm trying to get as is, I know im getting that $120 back, she said i would be refunded. But what i want to do is see if i can come up with a way to get that 70 bucks in rebates back as credit or something. If someone could post as to how I can do this, or way to get them to give me the money to get them out of their hair, then thanks. Any experiences like this, with outcomes and methods are also appreciated.

P.S. to any flamers that decided to tell me that its not right to do that to a rep, she lied to me on the phone, im sure she knew it wasnt open on saturday, and I feel like I should get some kind of compensation for being run-around like that. I am a CAG after all, and a very poor one at that. If i would have know that neweggs reps werent in on weekends, i would have asked to reimburse me now.

Thanks
Ricky

So the mobo cost $120- with a $70 rebate for a total of $50? Or it cost 190 and 70 in rebates for 120? And the 120 you want back is for the original board you bought and RMA'd- not the 2nd one that got lost?

If you're trying to get 190 refunded on a $120 purchase then I don't think you're gonna get it. It doesn't make sense for them to give you extra money for rebates you neglected to send in?

I think that if you are a dick about the $70 and raise a lot of trouble over it you'll just piss whoever you're talking to off and they'll probably not give it to you since I don't think they are obligated to. However Newegg has a pretty good reputation (I've never had any bad experiences when I had to return/RMA items to them- which I've done several times over the past several years) so if you're polite about it they might help you out.

Anyways another thing to look out for is usually rebates require that you purchase a particular item by a certain date- but if you read the fine print you usually have a few weeks in which to actually mail in the rebate form. So for example maybe there is a rebate where you need to buy item X between 8/1/08 and 8/31/08 but the rebate does not need to be postmarked until 9/15/08. Since you still have an original recipt or invoice for a mobo purchased during the rebate window, once you get your replacement board you may still be able to send it in with your original invoice showing that you purchased it before the deadline?

Unfortunately regarding the $70 you may need to file this under the sh!t happens category and move on.

I mean i paid 90 bucks for the mobo and almost 30 in shipping next day(ALOTTTTT) The 70 bucks was
10 Mobo
30 Memory
10 8800gs

I seemed to think that just because i couldnt test them in time to send in the rebates they were obligated to give me it. Energy drink must have finally wore off, so I get it now.

I think your right, im gonna try to cut my losses and come out with a shiny new computer.

I highly suggest everone steer clear from UPS btw. What can brown do for you? -insert poop joke here-

To change the subject a little, how is your experience with this board? I read somewhere it broke the record for OCing, can someone give me a link to that article if it exists?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see you're getting it worked out. So if I understand correctly you have no mobo now since you RMA'd the original and got refunded for the one that got lost in the mail?

I've typically had better experiences with Fedex, but UPS has never lost anything of mine. It was probably a fluke.

Never used the mobo so can't comment on it. Good luck with getting new components!

Ruahrc

bread's done
Back