Trackballs, anyone?

Benyamin

CAG Veteran
Does anyone use a trackball anymore? If you don't know what it is, it's basically the rubber ball inside of a mouse, but placed on top. So you roll the ball around and click using the buttons on the side of the mouse. I miss trackballs.

Kensington makes the best.

I roll some at work, currently have version 6.

I think they aren't making any new ones. I think they made a slim version but don't think it's any good.

For gaming, trackballs are OK for things that don't need precision. RTS and TBS are great for trackballs. FPS on the otherhand aren't great.

I remember trying to use a friend's trackball years ago. I understand how they could be used if your desk is pressed for space or something, but I could never get used to how the thing moved. Traditional mice (or laptop pads) for me.

[quote name='skiizim']I used to enjoy playing Marble Madness with the trackball at the arcade!!!![/QUOTE]
Growing up, I played this on a friend's PC with a trackball. Talk about precision!

I work in IT and I hate when someone not only has a trackball mouse, but also a superiority complex about using one, like it's some great talent to handle balls.

I have an old logitech trackball mouse somewhere in my house. (It has a serial port end instead of the traditional mouse connector or usb plug.)

Might have to see if I can get it to work because I'd love to play old school games like Marble Madness with it.

On a gaming podcast that I do, I had a fellow host come forth and talk about how he primarily uses a trackball for everything. I would love to try it out but would probably just default back to a regular mouse.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Growing up, I played this on a friend's PC with a trackball. Talk about precision!

I work in IT and I hate when someone not only has a trackball mouse, but also a superiority complex about using one, like it's some great talent to handle balls.[/QUOTE]

lol i know what u mean...this other tech in my office had one and thought he was all powerful

Trackballs have one big benefit.

If you have carpal tunnel syndrome, it helps reduce the strain on your wrist that a mouse can cause.

All the work on the pointer is done with your fingers, so there's less back-and-forth work to be done on your wrist.

I've been using trackballs for any PC non-gaming activity for about twelve years now and prefer them for something non-gaming. Gaming, mouse is always best.

[quote name='shrike4242']Trackballs have one big benefit.

If you have carpal tunnel syndrome, it helps reduce the strain on your wrist that a mouse can cause.

All the work on the pointer is done with your fingers, so there's less back-and-forth work to be done on your wrist.

I've been using trackballs for any PC non-gaming activity for about twelve years now and prefer them for something non-gaming. Gaming, mouse is always best.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I use a trackball all day (work), and a mouse all night (gaming). I like not getting pain.

My wife really liked the Apple G3 trackball mouse, she has really small hands and they fit perfectly. I even bought her 6 different colored ones for her birthday a while back. However, since she got a PowerMac (and fell in love with the smart trackpad) they have been collecting dust.

bread's done
Back