Trade 2 Select Wii Games Get Mario Kart for $9.99 at EB/GameStop

CombatCraig

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Photo21.jpg

Sorry if this is a repost and sorry the picture is so bad (all I have is my built in iSight camera)

Exact same deal as SSBB a couple months ago. They had the flyers in store, but nothing online yet. I'm assuming they weren't supposed to be out yet seeing as how some of the games listed aren't even out yet but who knows.

Good deal if you have some old games you don't want or if you can find some clearance titles at Target or CC.

Offer expires 5/18/08

Baroque
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Cabela's Big Game Hunter
Carnival Games
Cars: Mater-National
Cooking Mama: Cook Off
Dragonball Z: Budokai T3
EA Playground
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Ghost Squad
Legend of Zelda TP
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Madden NFL 2008
MLB 2K8
Mario and Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
MOH Heroes 2
MOH Vanguard
Metriod Prime 3: Corruption
MLP Power Pros
My Sims
Naurto Clash of Ninja Revolution
NBA Live 2008
Need for Speed: Carbon
Need for Speed: Pro Street
No More Heroes
Okami
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Rapala Tournament Fishing
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sims 2: Castaways
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008
Transformers The Game
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008

Fine Print Offer and qualifying titles for trade are subject to change without notice. Full trade value amount be applied toward reserve/purchase of game. Titles must be in full working condition to recieve full value. Cannot be combined with any offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associates for details. No dealers. No Rainchecks. Offer expires 5/18/08.

[quote name='mephitical']Something tells me that Mario Kart is not going to be hard to find, no matter how many resellers there are...[/quote]

I agree.. my point was on the mods policy of keeping member trades/sales out of the deals threads. I'm for it, but I can easily see why they prefer that stuff to stay in the trading forum.

Wow! I have 14 of those games on the list. I'm really tempted, but, on the other hand, Gamestop is the devil incarnate... Let's break this down and see if any CAG's can help me make a decision.

Big Brain: my son likes it (so do I) so it's a longshot.
Cooking Mama: no way, everyone I show this too really enjoys it.
Fire Emblem: freaking hard, but not ready to give up on it yet.
Twilight Princess: not done, no chance of it going.
Mario & Sonic: fun for 4 players, Mii support, son loves it.
Medal of Honor Heroes 2: fun online, maybe i'll get a zapper someday, it stays.
Metroid Prime 3: not done, but it stays.
Rayman 1: haven't played it in a long time, good candidate to go.
Resident Evil 4: not sure about this one, never really got into it (i.e. I suck at survival horror).
SM Galaxy: finished it, but there's no way it goes.
Super Paper Mario: not done, it stays.
Smash Bros: it's borderline insulting that this is even on their list.
Tiger Woods 07: I wish it controlled more like Wii Sports, good candidate to go.
Wario Ware: Still love it, it stays.

So CAG's, there it is. Should I ditch any combo of Rayman, Tiger and RE4? Should I give RE4 another chance (I've been chainsawed in half too many times to count)?

or maybe i'll just use some of my Best Buy giftcards to get Kart...
Are there enough / any Kart deals out there to start a thread of all the deals (like Smash Bros & GTA4)?

[quote name='langdon_alger']Wow! I have 14 of those games on the list. I'm really tempted, but, on the other hand, Gamestop is the devil incarnate... Let's break this down and see if any CAG's can help me make a decision.

Big Brain: my son likes it (so do I) so it's a longshot.
Cooking Mama: no way, everyone I show this too really enjoys it.
Fire Emblem: freaking hard, but not ready to give up on it yet.
Twilight Princess: not done, no chance of it going.
Mario & Sonic: fun for 4 players, Mii support, son loves it.
Medal of Honor Heroes 2: fun online, maybe i'll get a zapper someday, it stays.
Metroid Prime 3: not done, but it stays.
Rayman 1: haven't played it in a long time, good candidate to go.
Resident Evil 4: not sure about this one, never really got into it (i.e. I suck at survival horror).
SM Galaxy: finished it, but there's no way it goes.
Super Paper Mario: not done, it stays.
Smash Bros: it's borderline insulting that this is even on their list.
Tiger Woods 07: I wish it controlled more like Wii Sports, good candidate to go.
Wario Ware: Still love it, it stays.

So CAG's, there it is. Should I ditch any combo of Rayman, Tiger and RE4? Should I give RE4 another chance (I've been chainsawed in half too many times to count)?

or maybe i'll just use some of my Best Buy giftcards to get Kart...
Are there enough / any Kart deals out there to start a thread of all the deals (like Smash Bros & GTA4)?[/quote]

I like to see your thought process. One of the things that gets me most about these trade-in deals (from any store, not just GS) is that it make people inclined to get rid of something on a whim that they might have gotten further enjoyment out of. Whereas if you spend cash, the only enjoyment you would have gotten out of holding on to your cash is the rockstar feeling that comes from having a $20 bill in your pocket (or whatever).

[quote name='mephitical']I like to see your thought process. One of the things that gets me most about these trade-in deals (from any store, not just GS) is that it make people inclined to get rid of something on a whim that they might have gotten further enjoyment out of. Whereas if you spend cash, the only enjoyment you would have gotten out of holding on to your cash is the rockstar feeling that comes from having a $20 bill in your pocket (or whatever).[/QUOTE]

I agree that's why I really posted this deal. I know a lot of people hate it but for people like this and myself it actually works out.

I have Strikers - I got my money's worth out of it (actually got it for 20 something with a previous GS Trade 2 Wii Games get 1 Free last summer, thank you CC clearance) but I never play it anymore. I got it for the online play which isn't much fun anymore (especially now that I have Brawl) so I lose nothing to trade it in.

I decided to keep RE4 because there might be a chance I'll replay it someday.

Plus I managed to just now find a random copy of Need for Speed: Carbon buried under all the clearance games at my local TRU. Plus they are giving 20% off all clearance items so I got it for 7.92.

In the end Strikers + 7.92 for NFS + 9.99 = 17.91 for Mario Kart.

I think I can live with that. Unless I want to take up djkunai on their trade offer, but my wife is pretty adamant about getting this release day. She apparently has a need, a need for speed (don't hurt me - her words not mine). :roll:

I'm a fan of holding on to games for nostalgia, but if you're playing a highly recommended game that you just don't like, go ahead and dump it. I found myself buying into the hype for a number of games that I had to stop after putting anywhere from 45 minutes to 10 hours into and realizing that I'm just not having fun.

By the way, it IS insulting that they have several of those games on the list especially when they advertise trade-in values for games like M&S, Mario Party 8, and SMG as being above $20 (the equivalent of what this deal works out to for each game). I'm wondering if I had traded in SMG ($30) and Mario and Sonic ($24) would they still have the nerve to charge $10 for MK or would they actually give you full credit.

[quote name='djkunai']I know, I traded with come CAGs during the Smash promo, and I'll do it again- I can trade a new copy of Mario Kart Wii (shipped on release) for 2 of the games from the list. It sickens me to know mods disapprove of offers in threads like these, but come on- let CAGs help CAGs.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='QiG']I agree.. my point was on the mods policy of keeping member trades/sales out of the deals threads. I'm for it, but I can easily see why they prefer that stuff to stay in the trading forum.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='QiG']I think they do it to discourage people from going to stores and hoarding games. I'm in the middle ground where I think it's ok to pick up a copy or two and spread them out to a community like this, but I hate people who clear everything out to eBay. Am I a hypocrite.. maybe. I won't speak against the policy though, when you give an inch, people take a mile.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mephitical']Something tells me that Mario Kart is not going to be hard to find, no matter how many resellers there are...[/QUOTE]

My policy as the Deal Forum Guide is to allow things like this in one-off deal threads (like this Mario Kart one) but to enforce the no-trade offers/requests rules in long-running clearance/sale threads like Target/Kmart/Circuit City where there is a corresponding trade thread listed in the OP. Obviously there is no trade thread for this deal so it is OK (for me at least - I may be overruled on this) to make offers here.

Another reason for the separate trade threads is that any offer in a popular deal thread is likely to be buried pretty qucikly (in addition to creating more clutter). So you are better off using a separate trade thread for that deal as it should, in theory, get more visibility. But that only works if people play along and we enforce the rules in those threads ;). But really it is fairly simple - if the OP mentions a trade thread for a given deal then use it and not the main deal thread.

[quote name='richierich']So this deal should be nationwide, right? I should go check the local gamestop just to double check.[/QUOTE]

It will be nationwide, I just think my GS jumped the gun on posting the fliers

[quote name='io']Obviously there is no trade thread for this deal so it is OK (for me at least - I may be overruled on this) to make offers here.
[/quote]

I'm cool with whatever the rules are, but thank you for stating them so clearly!

My original offer of $20+shipping (paypal immediately) on certain games was meant to make a point, but if anyone really does want to sell, the offer stands. Cash is always better than credit...

Bully: Scholarship Edition
Mario and Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Party 8
MOH Heroes 2
Okami
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

[quote name='CombatCraig']It will be nationwide, I just think my GS jumped the gun on posting the fliers[/QUOTE]

The current flyer is good until the 10th so, i would assume that this deal starts on the 11th?

I have a bunch of Goozex points that need spending so I picked up Tiger Woods 07 (400 points) and Need for Speed: Carbon (400 points). The points have been sitting there forever and this is a nice way to cash some in instead of waiting 6 months for a decent game to finally be available. I still like Goozex, just wish there was a faster turn around sometimes.

[quote name='dnomyarps']I have a bunch of Goozex points that need spending so I picked up Tiger Woods 07 (400 points) and Need for Speed: Carbon (400 points). [/QUOTE]

I requested the same 2 games for this deal as well. So far i'm getting Tiger Woods but the user that has NFS: Carbon hasn't responded yet :bomb:

[quote name='bfauble83']The current flyer is good until the 10th so, i would assume that this deal starts on the 11th?[/quote]

I didn't see a date no this flier but you very well could be right. I'll check again when I get home.

[quote name='dnomyarps']I have a bunch of Goozex points that need spending so I picked up Tiger Woods 07 (400 points) and Need for Speed: Carbon (400 points). The points have been sitting there forever and this is a nice way to cash some in instead of waiting 6 months for a decent game to finally be available. I still like Goozex, just wish there was a faster turn around sometimes.[/quote]

Did that same thing yesterday. Both will be going out in 3 days.

[quote name='richierich']I requested the same 2 games for this deal as well. So far i'm getting Tiger Woods but the user that has NFS: Carbon hasn't responded yet :bomb:[/quote]

Ironic, neither is mine. I'm going with Carbon and the Rapela Fishing one. I'd worried that with tiger woods 07 and 08 on the list they may stop accepting 07 if I dont get it quick.

To clarify 2 issues:

1)If you trade in any game that has a higher credit than $20 (or a little less if you have an EDGE card), you will get the game cheaper, meaning it won't stay at $20, it will get you the real credit you would have gotten.
2)the extra %20 for trading in towards Mario Kart Wii, Grand Theft Auto 4 and Metal Gear Soild 4 will go into effect if that is a better trade if you make sure that the associate punch the coupon code.
Super Smash Brothers: Brawl trades for $35, if you trade it towards Mario Kart Wii you will get $42 and if you have and Edge card you will get 45.50 towards any of those games, not bad at all.

[quote name='CombatCraig']Plus I managed to just now find a random copy of Need for Speed: Carbon buried under all the clearance games at my local TRU. Plus they are giving 20% off all clearance items so I got it for 7.92.

In the end Strikers + 7.92 for NFS + 9.99 = 17.91 for Mario Kart.

I think I can live with that. Unless I want to take up djkunai on their trade offer, but my wife is pretty adamant about getting this release day. She apparently has a need, a need for speed (don't hurt me - her words not mine). :roll:[/quote]

If she has a need for speed, let her play Carbon. Need fufilled for $42 less.

[quote name='DavidDayton']Wait... who had Ghost Squad "cheap"? I wanted a copy of that...[/QUOTE]

I picked up GS a few weeks ago at Target (clearance) for $7.xx, they had 2 copies wish I had both now. THX OP for deal! :)

[quote name='Chronis']If she has a need for speed, let her play Carbon. Need fufilled for $42 less.[/quote]

I don't think she'd even look twice at NFS. She is the textbook definition of a casual gamer. She loves Brawl so I would think its safe to say MK would be a perfect fit for her racing needs lol

Anyone know the trade values for Madden 08 and NFS Carbon? Would i be better off doing the 20% bonus deal that is going on right now?

[quote name='bfauble83']Anyone know the trade values for Madden 08 and NFS Carbon? Would i be better off doing the 20% bonus deal that is going on right now?[/QUOTE]

Carbon got me $9. I can't imagine Madden would get much more, annual sports game usually get low trade in because a new one is just going to come out next year. IMO with those games you're better off with the posted deal.

[quote name='CombatCraig']Carbon got me $9. I can't imagine Madden would get much more, annual sports game usually get low trade in because a new one is just going to come out next year. IMO with those games you're better off with the posted deal.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks, thats what i though, I've never traded games before so I wasn't sure.

I will trade in RE4 (paid $15) and Mario Party 8 (paid $25) which were both bought NEW when they came out. Not bad, $9.99 plus 2 games I dont play anymore makes for a great deal. Thanks OP.

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']Does this promotion officially begin tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

I dont think anyone has confirmed a date yet...

[quote name='bfauble83']I dont think anyone has confirmed a date yet...[/quote]

I couldn't tell you the exact start date but I traded mine in with the flier Wednesday.

So I don't know why other stores haven't started it yet. I'm assuming as soon as you see the fliers in your store the deal is good to go. The end date is May 18th so it should be starting soon. I can't imagine why my GS of all places would get the fliers so early (or maybe they just put them out when they weren't supposed to.)

I think it was mentioned that the current flyer goes out today and this should be in the new one.. effective the 12th? It won't hurt to check in your local store, I know they have a huge binder with scannable UPCs for all these deals.

looks like i can gt rid of Cooking Mama and MOH2:H for this. i got burned out on CM really quick, and the only thing i like about MOH2 is the online play; otherwise, i dont care much for WW2 shooters.

i will even entertain some offers, if anyone wants them. :D

I already did this deal yesterday at my Gamestop. Here's how it works for those of you who are wondering...

You don't trade your games in yet (you do that when you pick up the game). Instead what you do is pre-order it as usual and put at least $5 down. When you go to pick up the game, bring with you the two games that you want to trade in, and upon manager approval you'll get the game for only $5 more (since you put $5 down already).

Oh and I asked about trading two copies of the same game, they said it's not allowed.

Good luck everyone :) I'm going to trade in some of my older games that are worth less than $20 anyway, that way I'm actually getting a discount and not screwing myself trading a gem of a game that would fetch more on eBay or Goozex anyway.

No Franklyn231, at least not according to the two Gamestop stores I talked to yesterday. You need to have two different games. They said the system won't even allow them to scan in two of the same games for this deal. Just a heads up.

[quote name='goomba478']I already did this deal yesterday at my Gamestop. Here's how it works for those of you who are wondering...

You don't trade your games in yet (you do that when you pick up the game). Instead what you do is pre-order it as usual and put at least $5 down. When you go to pick up the game, bring with you the two games that you want to trade in, and upon manager approval you'll get the game for only $5 more (since you put $5 down already).

Oh and I asked about trading two copies of the same game, they said it's not allowed.

Good luck everyone :) I'm going to trade in some of my older games that are worth less than $20 anyway, that way I'm actually getting a discount and not screwing myself trading a gem of a game that would fetch more on eBay or Goozex anyway.[/quote]

I believe your GS must operate differently than the others, or you had a confused employee. You do need to trade your games in when you do the deal. How it really works is they just bump up the value of each game to $20 each and put that towards your reservation. Then you pay the 9.99 remainder when you pick up the game (or right now if you wish). Your cashier may not have really known about this deal as it doesn't seem to be nationwide yet. Having the flier helps.

As for trading in 2 of the same game that is always YMMV. Some allow it if you get a REALLY nice employee but most do not. Unless goomba is right and GS has finally made this impossible to work.

[quote name='sleepy180']i have warioware and big brain academy that havnt been touched in 6 months. Is this a good trade? I'm not sure what the trade in or value of them are and i know im going to buy mario kart on day1 no matter what. anyone?[/quote]

Horrible deal. I sold my used Wario Ware Smoot Moves for $41 on eBay including shipping. I think my auction went a bit higher than normal, but you should get AT LEAST $30+. If you get $35 for Wario Ware, + the $10 you need to actually buy Mario Kart Wii, you're at $45. Say you sell Big Brain Academy for $20, you're paying $65 worth of items for a $50 game. Not smart.

That's weird that two different Gamestops would tell me I had to trade the games in when pick it up. Totally bizarre. I even showed them the games, they checked them and said they were both mint condition but that I should "hold onto them until the game comes in". Now I'm really wondering what that was all about :( Did I get cheated or something? Are they going to tell me that it's too late when I go to trade them in? Doh!

I sure hope not.

By the way, anyone who wants to sell "Big Brain Academy" for the Wii...let me know :) I'd love a copy.

[quote name='goomba478']That's weird that two different Gamestops would tell me I had to trade the games in when pick it up. Totally bizarre. I even showed them the games, they checked them and said they were both mint condition but that I should "hold onto them until the game comes in". Now I'm really wondering what that was all about :( Did I get cheated or something? Are they going to tell me that it's too late when I go to trade them in? Doh!

I sure hope not.

By the way, anyone who wants to sell "Big Brain Academy" for the Wii...let me know :) I'd love a copy.[/QUOTE]

What is the world coming to lol I guess this might be a trend. Oh well I have a receipt from my transaction showing a $40 deposit on MK from the 2 games. This is getting weird lol

My gamestop usually takes the games when you preorder, I am still waiting on a goozex game so hopefully they keep that policy

Boy most of the games I could never find cheap except Ghost Squad which bought for $20 and sold for $40 on craigslist. I would have traded that in but figured I could get more from the clueless people on craigslist who think they are getting a great deal... saying it was regular $49.99 in store...and rare game (which in my area, you can't find it in any stores now).

I have Mario Party 8 and Super Paper Mario to trade, but do you guys think that would be a bad idea? How much do those games go for??

Just traded in my 2 Goozex games I received. Tiger Woods 07 and Need for Speed Carbon. Not bad considering I had a bunch of points that I needed to spend.

[quote name='dnomyarps']Just traded in my 2 Goozex games I received. Tiger Woods 07 and Need for Speed Carbon. Not bad considering I had a bunch of points that I needed to spend.[/quote]

Came in this thread to post the same thing. Paid the $10 off then and there, so I can just walk in and grab one when they come in.

Question - If I reserved the game at a certain store, do you have to pick it up there, or could you walk into any store and show them your receipt?

[quote name='Hockey37']
Question - If I reserved the game at a certain store, do you have to pick it up there, or could you walk into any store and show them your receipt?[/QUOTE]

That's an easy one - has to be the store you reserved it at and they are non-transferrable. You could cancel, get all the credit on a gift card, and then re-preorder at another store. Note that the people at the first store will not be happy with you if you cancel (since it will count against them) and if you are trying to build a good rapport with them (to get in on decent deals in the future) I'd just leave it there.

[quote name='dnomyarps']Just traded in my 2 Goozex games I received. Tiger Woods 07 and Need for Speed Carbon. Not bad considering I had a bunch of points that I needed to spend.[/quote]

Ditto. NFS:Carbon finally arrived today full of fingerprints (as did my Tiger Woods when it arrived). I had a moment of anxiety when the guy said he didn't know if these were in on the deal until the other female working there confirmed it to him as he listed them off for her to check.

bread's done
Back