Trading in a PS2 for PStwo

AlbinoNinja

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
After another trade-in deal (thanks goozex!) crapped out on my old Playstation 2, I'm thinking about trading Ol' Unreliable in for a slim PStwo (maybe even one of those purrty new silver ones)

The system has the standard DRE problems of a first-generation PS2, as in, some games work, others don't (although systems are refurbished, so it should be fine). Do they test the system before they take it in? How much do they normally give for PS2's? Are there any good deals on slim PStwos I should consider?

Also, you can't use a standard multi-tap with the PStwo, right?

First off, have you even tried cleaning the laser to get it to play the other types of discs. Many times the main problem with the older PS2s is that they just need a good cleaning.

Try using a toothbrush on the front 'grill'(under the controller ports, the part that looks like a grill near the bottom of the system). Put the toothbrush into the grill, then turn it towards you to pull out any dust that may be in there.

Next comes cleaning the lens and the inside of the PS2. If you have high speed, check out this video FAQ from YouTube on how to open the PS2 and clean the laser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhof6WtePyM

It is REALLY helpful, as it shows you all the steps to clean the laser. You should also clean the fan in the PS2 with the same dampened q tip AFTER cleaning the laser. You wouldn't believe how mucked up the inside of a PS2 gets in 3-5 years.

If after trying to clean the vent(grill) and the fan and laser the PS2 is STILL not reading ALL types of discs, there's another SIMPLE step to do to get it working like new again. LASER REPLACEMENT.

There should be a quick and easy video on YouTube for that as well, but I don't have one saved to provide the link to at this point. You can buy the replacement laser(costs about a THIRD of the cost of a NEW PS2 and makes the older PS2s run like new again)from many sites online.

However, I've found one that even includes a guide to tell you WHICH laser you need and I believe they even give you FREE shipping on most if not all items.

www.richspsxparts.com

Hope this short note does help you to get your OLD PS2 to work like new again, since unfortunately the silver Slim PStwo has been known to go completely dead at times and the infamous Disc Read Error is still present in the slims. So, sorry to burst your bubble, but even if you bought a slim, you may still end up with a DRE eventually.

The Gamestop/EB stores in malls usually don't test it, since they don't have the space to check it. So if you're wanting a store that doesn't test it, check one of those.

As for prices, I think it's down to $35 for a older model now, if it works. If it doesn't, they give $10-$15 for it. That's store credit BTW.

Honestly, I hate to say it, but you're better off keeping it at this point and just tinkering with it till you get it working right, since GS doesn't give you crap for it in the least.

If you follow the steps I said above, your 'unreliable' PS2 should become reliable really quick. A laser replacement is what fixes most DRE PS2s. Also, not using the PS2 as your DVD player helps keep the laser strong for a long time.

There's a bit of paranoia about the new PS2s, but I've gone through three [and not one of them broke, they were all sold or given as gifts] in the past year and I can say they're extremely reliable [one black, one silver, then one black]

Game Crazy would be your best bet for trading it in, I think they give anywhere from $30 to $50 for the PSTwo if it works "okay"...they'll refurb it anyways.

Though at this point, you're better off buying a cheap third party PS2 memory card, 2 cheap third party ps2 controllers, and trading it in for $100 credit towards a PS3.

If you're really afraid of DREs and console deaths, the PS3 hasn't given one problem for the past months, even the people who fold and play PS2 games all day don't have a problem.

Thanks for the post IAmTheCheapestGamer. My PS2 has been getting some disk read errors lately and I've been wondering how to clean the laser. I'll try the cleaning tips you mention!

That YouTube video is great and one of the steps I suggest to ANYONE who has a DRE PS2 before just junking it in favor of a new one. And, even though most replacement lasers cost $40-50, that's even a more worthwhile step than just junking it and buying new. The one FAQ everyone always quotes on here and Gamefaqs is from Arstechnica and that shows you how to heigh adjust your laser, which should be the absolute LAST step you try, since putting it too high can scratch your discs AND kill the laser quicker.

Believe me, if you're a collector or anal about your games, the LAST thing you want happening is discs getting scratched because the laser is adjusted wrong.

I still swear I should open a small shop in my basement and offer cleanings and repairs for $20-50 depending on the problem.

bread's done
Back