Trading in games

orbit18

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I've never really been a big fan of trading in games, and never really have. Mainly due to the reason that you can always get more selling on craigslist/ebay/here etc. However, sometimes I don't really want to go through the hassle of having to meet someone or do some extra work (read as: being lazy) and have been looking into the Amazon trade in program. Do you guys think it's worth it to trade in stuff to that company over let's say Gamestop? I wanted to sell some games that I never play such as Demon's Souls, and I see that Amazon sells the game for $18 for the Xmas sale, but they would give me $11.25 for it. I was wondering your opinions on the subject. The reason I bring this up is because I'm low on money, but would like to play Castlevania Lords of Shadow, but Blockbuster doesn't carry it until Feb 2011, and I don't want to sign up for Gamefly hence I'm just trying to sell stuff that I never play.

Most people hate on Gamestop because it's cool to do, and they go around telling you to use Craigslist like everyone but them is too stupid to figure it out for themselves, so you probably won't get a lot of great advice here.

Just by simply looking up the TIV's of a game for both Amazon and Gamestop, you can compare the two. From past experiences, Amazon offers the higher TIV, by far. Only cons are that you have to ship your trade-ins, your stuff can "mysteriously" disappear or get damaged along the way even if you shipped it in great condition (although it hasn't happened to me), and they're kinda nitpicky with the condition you send the games in (has to have a manual and case, etc.)

@ Survivalism

Yeah, I've already learned to filter through responses like that. They're never any help.

@madbst

I'm very picky with my games so majority of them are in very good condition complete. I was thinking about getting rid of throwaway games like Blitz: The League and other sports games, because amazon is giving $4 for a lot of them plus they give you prepaid labels... you just need the envelope.

All of the trade-ins you send to Amazon have prepaid UPS labels you can print and just stick into the box/envelope. That's why I definitely think it's a better deal than GS's.

I cringe remembering all the video games I traded in when I was younger. So much so that I don't think I'll ever trade another game in again.

[quote name='madbst']All of the trade-ins you send to Amazon have prepaid UPS labels you can print and just stick into the box/envelope. That's why I definitely think it's a better deal than GS's.[/QUOTE]

If you read the Amazon trade-in thread then you can see that many people are complaining about NorAm rejecting their games for BS reasons. Hell, it seems like the games mysteriously "crack" in the mail when they realize that they're paying too much for a game. :roll:

[quote name='Rozz']If you read the Amazon trade-in thread then you can see that many people are complaining about NorAm rejecting their games for BS reasons. Hell, it seems like the games mysteriously "crack" in the mail when they realize that they're paying too much for a game. :roll:[/QUOTE]

If you read my first post of the thread, you'll see that I mentioned it. All in all, I still think it's a better deal. I might change my mind if shit happens to me, but knock on wood, I hope it doesn't.

I've never tried trading or sellng on amazon. It seems like a hassle.

Craigslist isn't the answer there either. People have pedestrian tastes on there and only buy Music games, sports games, or greatest hits. And the whole meeting the unwashed masses in person I find... creepy to tell you the truth. I remember I sold a PSP to a lawyer, and she was all paranoid and had somebody take my picture as I walked into the mall to sell it to her... Yea..

I recommend selling games to friends, or ebay if you can. Even with all the hassle and scammers, you'll usually get the going rate for a game. Although I haven't used fleabay in quite awhile...

[quote name='madbst']If you read my first post of the thread, you'll see that I mentioned it. All in all, I still think it's a better deal. I might change my mind if shit happens to me, but knock on wood, I hope it doesn't.[/QUOTE]

I just traded in some stuff there the other day and it all went through fine (even one item that was admittedly a bit beaten up and I expected them to reject.) However, it does make me a bit uncomfortable to hear about people trading in like-new items and have them rejected for being "damaged." In most cases though I'll go with whoever is offering the best deal, although if it's close the convenience and less of a risk at GS makes it preferable.

I prefer Amazon, but mostly because my wife works in an office that supplies me with free boxes. They've only been weird on 2 items I sent. They were a guide that i didn't realize had no SKU sticker, and a game with a slight scratch on it. Otherwise, they've been better than gamestop on every occasion.

If you don't mind hanging tight on new releases, I highly recommend goozex as a trading option. It deals in points rather than money and it's generally pretty fair to both buyers and sellers.

Oh - i should probably mention that I trade in most games as soon as I'm done with them- combining Amazon with the K-mart $20 coupons pretty much means I'm just converting my cash into Amazon credit over a 2 week period.

[quote name='nbballard']I prefer Amazon, but mostly because my wife works in an office that supplies me with free boxes. They've only been weird on 2 items I sent. They were a guide that i didn't realize had no SKU sticker, and a game with a slight scratch on it. Otherwise, they've been better than gamestop on every occasion.[/QUOTE]

Getting boxes can be a pain in the butt, so much so that on some occasions, I have resorted to reusing boxes that Amazon used to ship an item I purchased from them lol. So far, I'm around 30 for 30 in my trade ins being successful and for a good part of my trade-ins, the TIV I got for the game is at least 90% of the price I bought it for and in more than a few occasions, the TIV was more than the price I paid for it. For this, I prefer Amazon as well.

[quote name='2DMention']I've never tried trading or sellng on amazon. It seems like a hassle.

Craigslist isn't the answer there either. People have pedestrian tastes on there and only buy Music games, sports games, or greatest hits. And the whole meeting the unwashed masses in person I find... creepy to tell you the truth. I remember I sold a PSP to a lawyer, and she was all paranoid and had somebody take my picture as I walked into the mall to sell it to her... Yea..

I recommend selling games to friends, or ebay if you can. Even with all the hassle and scammers, you'll usually get the going rate for a game. Although I haven't used fleabay in quite awhile...[/QUOTE]

Craigslist has been pretty good to me except one time a guy didn't give everything that was promised. LOL @ the picture in the mall... that's messed up. I wouldn't have sold anything to her just for doing that. Most people I meet are nice and seem quite intelligent.

@ Qig

I tried Goozex once, but I didn't enjoy it. A lot of the newer releases is pretty much what I like to play, and it takes FOREVER to get them.

I usually reuse boxes that were kept when I had bought stuff online.

[quote name='madbst']Just by simply looking up the TIV's of a game for both Amazon and Gamestop, you can compare the two. From past experiences, Amazon offers the higher TIV, by far. Only cons are that you have to ship your trade-ins, your stuff can "mysteriously" disappear or get damaged along the way even if you shipped it in great condition (although it hasn't happened to me), and they're kinda nitpicky with the condition you send the games in (has to have a manual and case, etc.) [/QUOTE]
I'm glad Nor-Am is picky with the condition of games being sent into them. I just wish that places like Gamestop were, since it's quite sickening to go in the week after the release of a big title and see 10 disc only copies of it on the shelves with that anime kids coverart in a black dvd case, especially since they probably charged whoever traded it in a refurb fee and that money is supposed to be used to ya know....refurb it(as in get a real fuckin' cover and manual for it).

bread's done
Back