Transfer Your 360's Hard Drive for $1.50

[quote name='Buzzman']so 100% this will work with the slim?[/QUOTE]

I just completed the transfer from a 120gb hd purchased as a standalone (I didn't get it with an elite) to the slim. Worked without any problems whatsoever.

this is not made by Microsoft. This is 3rd Party. I don't know if this does transfers btw 2 xbox.

Since this is 3rd party, the sames ones are on ebay for cheaper.

[quote name='distinct101']this is not made by Microsoft. This is 3rd Party. I don't know if this does transfers btw 2 xbox.

Since this is 3rd party, the sames ones are on ebay for cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Oh, didn't see that since I wasn't in need of one anyway. It looks practically identical though, so I doubt GS would notice.

And yes, an old transfer cable worked for me from 120gb to 360S too.

Why doesn't everyone kick in 10 cents or so, and buy some CAG community transfer kits? Pass them around for everyone to use free of charge (if they contributed).

[quote name='soonersfan60']Why doesn't everyone kick in 10 cents or so, and buy some CAG community transfer kits? Pass them around for everyone to use free of charge (if they contributed).[/QUOTE]

Some guy would probably end up keeping it or taking forever to mail it.

Do NOT buy the fake transfer cables, you may lose your DRM, and the xfer needs to have a pc in between the process. You can buy a brand new xfer kit from GS and trade back for 8.25 or do what I did and "Borrow" a large USB flash drive from the electronics store of your choice.

Out of curiosity (since I've never backed up or transferred my 360 data) how do the transfer cables work? Do I need a PC? (I have a Mac.) Can I back everything up to my 64gb flash drive instead? If I transfer, do I have to deactivate anything on the 360, like I did on my PS3?

Just want to make sure I don't miss/forget anything and be able to have all my DLC and XBLA on the new 360.

Thanks.

[quote name='Thorgouge']I'm going to do it for free because I'm smart enough to return the thing after I use it.[/QUOTE]

Protip: This is not a mind-blowing revelation, and that doesn't make you smart.

[quote name='Sylin']Out of curiosity (since I've never backed up or transferred my 360 data) how do the transfer cables work? Do I need a PC? (I have a Mac.) Can I back everything up to my 64gb flash drive instead? If I transfer, do I have to deactivate anything on the 360, like I did on my PS3?

Just want to make sure I don't miss/forget anything and be able to have all my DLC and XBLA on the new 360.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You can back up to your flash drive, but make sure you back up your flash drive first because the process requires the 360 wiping out your drive and reformatting it to the 360's file structure. I backed up my stuff earlier today to a thumb drive. Pretty simple and painless.

This lets you transfer data to your pc but is NOT the official MS migration kit you use to transfer data from one hdd to another (the one MS was giving free but now charges $20 for). This is fine for backing data up, I guess you'd then move it back with a usb drive, but if you're looking for the migrate one hdd to another cable here is the MS store link

[quote name='orochi']You can back up to your flash drive, but make sure you back up your flash drive first because the process requires the 360 wiping out your drive and reformatting it to the 360's file structure. I backed up my stuff earlier today to a thumb drive. Pretty simple and painless.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I think I have a bunch of TV shows on that flash drive, so I'll be sure to store them elsewhere for the time being.

Any "deactivation" required on the old 360? Or is it just a matter of recovering my gamer tag on the new 360 and importing my backup?

Also, for those of you using a usb drive to transfer data, none of my old xbox (original xbox) saves were able to transfer. It wasn't such a big loss for me, but may be worth getting a transfer cable for others.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Why doesn't everyone kick in 10 cents or so, and buy some CAG community transfer kits? Pass them around for everyone to use free of charge (if they contributed).[/QUOTE]

You know, now that I stupidly bought the official transfer kit from Gamestop, I'm thinking of getting a community pass-the-transfer-kit thing going. I wouldn't know which forum to use though...

To add a 16GB partition to a USB drive for the 360 to see does not require you to lose any data on that drive. Link

Option 2: Configure some (but not all) of the USB storage device's memory (up to 16 GB). Here's how:
1. Select Customize.
2. Move the Reserved Storage slider to select how much of the storage space on the device you want to configure for Xbox data storage. (Note The Xbox configuration reserves 512 MB of the amount selected for system use.)
3. Click Configure.

The Xbox console tests your USB storage device to make sure it will work correctly with the console. If your device passes this test, you can use it as a USB memory unit.If your device is rated as below recommended speed, you might experience reduced game performance and quality. To cancel and try another USB storage device, select Cancel. Your USB storage device is ready to use and is listed as a memory unit on the Storage Devices screen.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: Both of the drives I have made 16GB 360 partitions on got the warning that it is rated below recommended speed, but both worked very quickly so I don't think this is a big deal.

just buy it used @ gs, transfer your stuff over and return the transfer cable=free. this is cag afterall or have them do it for you in the store free as well.

[quote name='intoxicated662']just buy it used @ gs, transfer your stuff over and return the transfer cable=free. this is cag afterall or have them do it for you in the store free as well.[/QUOTE]

You assume people can find it used in the first place.

My friend and I both tried getting a 360 S yesterday, he got one, I didn't which sucks. We drove all over town to find a transfer kit, NO store had it (GameStop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us) and one GameStop about 40 min away said they had it, when he got there to get it, it was actually the HDMI kit so he was PISSED.

[quote name='Keirnoth']You know, now that I stupidly bought the official transfer kit from Gamestop, I'm thinking of getting a community pass-the-transfer-kit thing going. I wouldn't know which forum to use though...[/QUOTE]

Try the trading forum.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']You assume people can find it used in the first place.

My friend and I both tried getting a 360 S yesterday, he got one, I didn't which sucks. We drove all over town to find a transfer kit, NO store had it (GameStop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us) and one GameStop about 40 min away said they had it, when he got there to get it, it was actually the HDMI kit so he was PISSED.[/QUOTE]

you guys are the idiots who drove 40 mins for it

[quote name='mcdaking84']you guys are the idiots who drove 40 mins for it[/QUOTE]

First off I didn't drive there, he did and 2nd of all he called the store and they said they had it and they would hold it for him. Reading is fundamental as they say.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']First off I didn't drive there, he did and 2nd of all he called the store and they said they had it and they would hold it for him. Reading is fundamental as they say.[/QUOTE]

I know that but driving there even if they had it is stupid. them not having makes it a thousand times worse but driving 40 minutes for a transfer cable that would be there on Monday makes your friend an idiot

[quote name='mcdaking84']I know that but driving there even if they had it is stupid. them not having makes it a thousand times worse but driving 40 minutes for a transfer cable that would be there on Monday makes your friend an idiot[/QUOTE]

Considering he needed the cable within 7 days to be able to trade in his 20GB HDD to GS for the promotion he was in a rush. I just used a USB drive to transfer my stuff, but he was banking on them having transfer kits today. On top of that the local GS we went to said that the transfer kits weren't even in the system yet so they had no idea when they'd get any. How truthful was he? I dunno. But based on his 7 day limit and having no idea when the store would get any in plus not having a 360 anymore to be able to use an external drive to transfer the data made him take anything he can get.

[quote name='Survivalism']Protip: This is not a mind-blowing revelation, and that doesn't make you smart.[/QUOTE]

You're quite right, but it makes me infinitely smarter than anyone who would lose money using a transfer cable.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']You assume people can find it used in the first place.

My friend and I both tried getting a 360 S yesterday, he got one, I didn't which sucks. We drove all over town to find a transfer kit, NO store had it (GameStop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us) and one GameStop about 40 min away said they had it, when he got there to get it, it was actually the HDMI kit so he was PISSED.[/QUOTE]

you can try any transfer kit as all you need is the cable, not the disc. ask a cag on here to help you out and just pay the shipping and there are still a few other ways if you still want it as well.

[quote name='intoxicated662']you can try any transfer kit as all you need is the cable, not the disc. ask a cag on here to help you out and just pay the shipping and there are still a few other ways if you still want it as well.[/QUOTE]

I was able to use a USB drive and my friend drove to another persons house and used their 360 and USB drive to do it, but thanks for informing me of this.

Unless your upgrading from a 60 gb drive, just go with the USB option.

I transferred all my stuff from my full 20gb drive using a 2gb USB drive and although I had to do a few passes given the small size of the drive, it was VERY quick and easy. I even got that "your drive is not fast enough message", but everything transferred with no problems. The only thing that didn't transfer were Xbox 1 saves.

[quote name='dchrisd']Unless your upgrading from a 60 gb drive, just go with the USB option.

I transferred all my stuff from my full 20gb drive using a 2gb USB drive and although I had to do a few passes given the small size of the drive, it was VERY quick and easy. I even got that "your drive is not fast enough message", but everything transferred with no problems. The only thing that didn't transfer were Xbox 1 saves.[/QUOTE]

The whole issue's fault is our local GS. As it is with many other people GS allows you to trade in the HDD at a later time (but you still need to trade the console and everything else in then and there). What they fail to tell you until AFTER you buy the new system is that they don't carry the transfer kit and they have no idea when they'll get any in. So here you are, left without a console that can read the old HDDs and no transfer cable to buy.

So in a way I was lucky that I didn't get a 360 S yesterday as I decided to see if I could fit all my info onto a 16GB drive and I had just made the limit at 15.6GB. My friend, after driving 40 min away had to then contact a friend, drive to his house, download the new XMB update, add the 16GB partition and back his data up. It worked for him, but due to the crappy job of our local GS this could have been avoided.

40 min drive there. another 40 min to drive back

I think you wasted more money on gas than what you could have saved.

[quote name='Thorgouge']I'm going to do it for free because I'm smart enough to return the thing after I use it.[/QUOTE]

That's return fraud. Stay classy.

[quote name='Ocajavati']40 min drive there. another 40 min to drive back

I think you wasted more money on gas than what you could have saved.[/QUOTE]

For someone so quick to make comments you should really take some of the time and brain power you have and devote it to reading comments more throughly. This was a friend of mine and he does have family up there and made a day trip of it. I am not saying what he did was smart I am just saying that "buying it used locally and returning it, DUH" is not that easy to do, not even buying it new is an option for some people.

bread's done
Back