Transformer fans rejoice... G1 game may be on the way

I'd have to see gameplay footage before passing any kind of early judgment but I am excited about premise of the game.

i always felt if they wre going to do a decent g1 game it should be a fighting game set in big desrutable environments. and youd have to get all the original voice actors involved. wow if thats what theyre going to look like im not interested. all they needed to do was use cellshaded graphics and make them look like the damn cartoon and add in battle damage over time.

[quote name='lokizz']i always felt if they wre going to do a decent g1 game it should be a fighting game set in big desrutable environments. and youd have to get all the original voice actors involved. wow if thats what theyre going to look like im not interested. all they needed to do was use cellshaded graphics and make them look like the damn cartoon and add in battle damage over time.[/QUOTE]

I'd be down for that especially if it were a budget priced title. Kind of reminds me of Tech Romancer on the Dreamcast.

[quote name='LeRoy']I'd be down for that especially if it were a budget priced title. Kind of reminds me of Tech Romancer on the Dreamcast.[/QUOTE]

yep thats my g1 transformers game dream i even wrote down a detailed idea years ago at the time i never figured it could happen but with games where they are now i dont see why it hasnt been done already. oh yeah youd need the cartoon music too. itd also be cool if you had screaming humans running around trying to get away from the battle.

I wouldn't want a transformers game to look like a moving cartoon, needs to be better looking then that. If ever made again I would hope for a 3d normal style like the Japanese game which at least looked good. Every time this is brought up I keep thinking even if all the cast got together it wouldn't be the same without Chris Latta ( Starscream) , his voice was just so unique.

[quote name='coolsteel'] Every time this is brought up I keep thinking even if all the cast got together it wouldn't be the same without Chris Latta ( Starscream) , his voice was just so unique.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they could get Doug Parker who did voice for the Beast Wars episode "Possession" . Not perfect, but I thought he did a good job.

edit: Realized I neglected to mention what an awesome talent Chris Latta was and made Tansformers and GI Joe that much more awesome for me as kid, even if I didn't know it yet.

[quote name='coolsteel']I wouldn't want a transformers game to look like a moving cartoon, needs to be better looking then that. If ever made again I would hope for a 3d normal style like the Japanese game which at least looked good. Every time this is brought up I keep thinking even if all the cast got together it wouldn't be the same without Chris Latta ( Starscream) , his voice was just so unique.[/QUOTE]

is he dead or something? if he is then damn that sucks starscream was and still is one of my favorite transformers.but like onyx the best wars guy did do a great job ( i thought it was the guy from the original show). was the guy who did the original voice also the voice of cobra commander? i remember when they did that episode of transformers with him in it that was pretty cool stuff.

[quote name='Malik112099']I love me some old school transformers but this game is destined to suck[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause: This. A billion times THIS. Just from the concept art on that article about this game I can tell I would hate it already. Apparently, they're using the Michael Bay designs for some of the inspiration since the illustrations there look similar to the G1 designs but different enough to be one of the MB crap designs.:roll:

They need the real 100% identical G1 designs and none of this 'reimagining' crap. Also, maybe they could finally explain where Megatrons'(and every other Transformer who shrunk down to a smaller form when in vehicle or other 'hidden' mode)extra size went to when he transformed into gun mode and was small enough that a human could hold and fire him.:roll:

Even as a kid watching the cartoon I was going 'how does he go from being a big robot with a gun for an arm down to being the size of a normal pistol when in gun mode?'.

And yes, I know it's a cartoon and not 'real'.

For those wanting to know who from the original cast is still around and who isn't, just go to IMDB.com as they have a cast list there that you can cross reference.

EDIT: I just checked IMDB and these guys are all dead:
Chris Latta(Starscream, among others)
Don Messick(Ratchet, other various voices on other series)
Scatman Crothers(Jazz)
Ed Gilbert(Thrust)
Walker Edmiston(Inferno)
Roger C. Carmel(Motormaster)-also played Harry Mudd on the '60's Star Trek series
Stan Jones(Scourge)

The guys that aren't gone though may not sound like they did back in the '80's and I think that's what happened with Frank Welker and why he doesn't really do the voice for Megatron all that often anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Maybe they could get Doug Parker who did voice for the Beast Wars episode "Possession" . Not perfect, but I thought he did a good job.

edit: Realized I neglected to mention what an awesome talent Chris Latta was and made Tansformers and GI Joe that much more awesome for me as kid, even if I didn't know it yet.[/QUOTE]

You're right he did a pretty good job in Beast Wars more then good enough for a few lines of videogame dialog.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
They need the real 100% identical G1 designs and none of this 'reimagining' crap. Also, maybe they could finally explain where Megatrons'(and every other Transformer who shrunk down to a smaller form when in vehicle or other 'hidden' mode)extra size went to when he transformed into gun mode and was small enough that a human could hold and fire him.:roll:

Even as a kid watching the cartoon I was going 'how does he go from being a big robot with a gun for an arm down to being the size of a normal pistol when in gun mode?'.

Scatman Crothers(Jazz)
Ed Gilbert(Thrust)
Walker Edmiston(Inferno)
Roger C. Carmel(Motormaster)-also played Harry Mudd on the '60's Star Trek series
Stan Jones(Scourge)

The guys that aren't gone though may not sound like they did back in the '80's and I think that's what happened with Frank Welker and why he doesn't really do the voice for Megatron all that often anymore.[/QUOTE]

You know i'm pretty sure Beast Wars went over or heavily alluded to that issue but I can't remember the exact explanation , had something to do with pocket dimensions holding the extra mass. Ouch lost Jazz and Rachet too?? I can't even say I remember what the others sounded like .

ironhide sounded like a redneck lol . i can recall alot of heir voiced if i see the picture of them especially the 5 in one transformers the combaticons had the coolest damn voice ever as Bruticus. hell i wont like if they made a game with every transformer made in it that you could transform and drive or fly around in a 3d world id buy it. how cool would it be to play a game where you could fight burticus , devastator ,predaking or any of the other 5 in ones with 1 transformer like optimus or megatron or whoever your favorite transformer was?

Everything isn't exactly how it was when I was a kid fuck everything

Glad to see we've got a good simmer of pre-hate going

Pre-hate to 500 degrees

Haha, you know, I love Transformers, but god, the rose-tinted glasses people have about the original show are just so utterly insane.

People, Transformers has always been fucktarded. They looked stupid as hell in G1, and they looked stupid as hell in Bay's movies. The original show was a gigantic, purile, and blatantly commercial and corporate advertisement for toys, which only had any semblance of plot or character development when it absolutely had to.

If you remember the original franchise from your youth, then there is like, seriously no excuse to still be taking it so seriously. It's just hard to believe that so many of the fans aren't into it at least somewhat for kitsch. It's damn fun to watch, and always will be, still, but man, the Transformers fans are almost as bad as the Sonic freaks, sometimes, in how they want everything to be just like the originals, but somehow really dead-serious and reverent and badass at the same time. :/

Anywho, I like the designs that I see in the scans. It looks like a nice compromise between the original forms, and a visual sensibility that isn't a quarter-century old.

It's not that I expect everything to be EXACTLY like the original series(which was indeed a thinly veiled marketing campaign for the toys at times). Hopefully they can make the designs more like the Transformers Tataki PS2 game and less like the Michael Bay garbage though.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

Scatman Crothers(Jazz)
Ed Gilbert(Thrust)
Walker Edmiston(Inferno)
Stan Jones(Scourge)
[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Robert Stack who did the voice of Ultra Magnus^^.

As for the game itself, eh we'll see. No game will ever beat the Beast Wars fighting game for the GBC.

Man its about time, its like they don't realize how great a G1 game would be. That Transformers Armada game was pretty good on PS2.

[quote name='Ziv_Zulander']Don't forget Robert Stack who did the voice of Ultra Magnus^^.

As for the game itself, eh we'll see. No game will ever beat the Beast Wars fighting game for the GBC.[/QUOTE]

I completely forgot about Robert Stack.:cry:

And yeah, that Armada game on PS2 was decent.

[quote name='Ziv_Zulander']Don't forget Robert Stack who did the voice of Ultra Magnus^^.

As for the game itself, eh we'll see. No game will ever beat the Beast Wars fighting game for the GBC.[/QUOTE]

He only did the movie version though, someone else did the t.v show

[quote name='coolsteel']He only did the movie version though, someone else did the t.v show[/QUOTE]

Jack Angel. Also did Astrotrain and Ramjet and King Zarkon from Voltron! :) He has done some Video Game voice work, so he might be cool with it.

They should just get epic to reskin the gears of war series with transformers g1 skins, add the ability to transform and call it a game, any other way you slice it otherwise, will be a piece of crap.

Damn a lot of hate here. I like the look they are going with so far. Seeing how I haven't seen anything Transformers since Beast Wars( was more of a Robotech guy when G1 was going on ), this all looks good to me. I would really like to see Devasator( sp? ) in this style.

[quote name='LostRoad']Damn a lot of hate here. I like the look they are going with so far. Seeing how I haven't seen anything Transformers since Beast Wars( was more of a Robotech guy when G1 was going on ), this all looks good to me. I would really like to see Devasator( sp? ) in this style.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the game takes place before The Ark leaves Cybertron so no one is going to have an earth mode and we don't have to worry about humans. :) Taking that into account I think it's pretty darn cool.

[quote name='coolsteel']Every time this is brought up I keep thinking even if all the cast got together it wouldn't be the same without Chris Latta ( Starscream) , his voice was just so unique.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Starscream just isn't the same without Chris. I'm sure Welker & Cullen would be down for reprising their respective roles.

I had Transformers Tataki and the only good thing was the intro. Not even the fact that you're playing as G1 Transformers made it fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CKxwNQ-jwM

[quote name='trunkszero']They should just get epic to reskin the gears of war series with transformers g1 skins, add the ability to transform and call it a game, any other way you slice it otherwise, will be a piece of crap.[/QUOTE]

I have never seen a better post

Yeah, game actually has a chance of being cool. It's a time point in Transformers lore that hasn't been looked at very closely other than the amazing War Within comic series. I've always been a fan of Cybertronian alt modes, so this game is already getting points in my book for the art style and "reimaginings" of the characters. Unlike with most of movieverse, you can instantly tell who these guys are at a glance. Now, gameplay is another matter. Who knows. I will say I enjoyed the hell out of the PS2 Armada game, despite HATING the show and being pretty apathetic towards most of that lines toys.

I'm already drooling with hope for toys of some of these though. Always been upset that the closest we've got to WW figs were those fucktarded Titaniums. Don Figuera's designs deserved better...

And in terms of voice actors, yeah, a lot of them have passed away, but that doesn't mean we're out of luck. If anyone here watched Animated, you know what I mean. Animated Starscream (Tom Kenny) was an amazing "adaptation" of G1 screamer. Not 100% the same, but the voice actor took what Chris Latta had done and made it his own. David Kaye (Beast Wars Megs, Animated Optimus) did a really great job with Grimlock as well. Other great voice cameos included Wierd Al as Wrek Gar (nice nod to the fans).

From G1, we can still get (and I'm pretty sure the voices will be ~ the same)
Peter Cullen - Prime and Ironhide
Frank Welker - Megatron, Soundwave, Rumble
John Moschitta (aka, the matchbox cars guy) - Blurr (reprised role in Animated)
Michael Bell - Prowl, Swoop, Sideswipe, among other lesser characters (can still do all the voices for sure)
Leonard Nemoy - Galvatron
Judd Nelson - Hot Rod / Rodimus Prime (idk about voice here)
Casey Kasem - Cliffjumper
Erik Idle - Wrek Gar
Susan Blu - Arcee (reprised roll in Animated)
Corey Burton - Sunstreaker, Shockwave, Spike, Brawn (reprised Shockwave in Animated)
Gregg Burger - Grimlock

And I'm sure others. If done right, voice actors are the least of our worries.

Why couldn't Bay have used these designs for the movies? They have that alien feel that he wanted so damn bad, but yet still are completely recognizable as G1 transformers.

[quote name='Rodimus']Same here. Starscream just isn't the same without Chris. I'm sure Welker & Cullen would be down for reprising their respective roles.

I had Transformers Tataki and the only good thing was the intro. Not even the fact that you're playing as G1 Transformers made it fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CKxwNQ-jwM[/QUOTE]

saw some videos of the actual gameplay on youtube they all look like the g1 versions but wtf is with that combat system? that said id still like to try it.

I was tempted to import a copy of Transformers Tataki last gen when I still had a PS2 just for the sake of trying it out, but then I checked YouTube and saw that horrible combat system for myself. That changed my mind for a while, but I'd still want to try it, though I don't wanna pay alot to buy/trade for it.

It's the same with the game that's my icon/avatar on here(Thrill Kill), though it was never officially released due to EA canning it about a week or two prior to release.

I'm excited that there will be a G1 based game (since I haven't cared for most of the newer TF series... pretty much everything after RiD has sucked).

But seeing as how most games based on movies/tv shows/comics end up being shit, I'm not going to get too excited until I see more about this.

In Tetaki actually transforming was a joke and almost useless. Vehicle characters like Prime & Starscream constantly move forward while transformed. The stages are so tiny you're constantly running into walls. But the worst thing is turning. Enemies gang up on you from behind all the time, and doing a 180 to fend them off is as slow as molasse. One thing they got right was giving you a huge cast of Transformers. Oh and voice acting is horrendous. I remember the guy that voiced Alucard in SOTN does Primes voice, and it just doesn't work. I'm surprised it never made it out here since all the options are in English as well as the v/o.

[quote name='platinumdragon7']I'm praying the the allspark that this game ends up being the first good Transformers game.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the Armada game wasn't too bad for the PS2, but I'm hoping that they stick to the old TF lore and keep the Bay era crap out of this game.

From TFormers:
1. Looks like we'll be getting a toy line in some form or other based on this game (though the pic looks to be a very basic, maybe legends class ~5.00 figure, I can't really tell)
http://tformers.com/transformers-wa...o-be-accompanied-by-a-toyline/12755/news.html

Also, apparently Game Informer will be doling out info and character profiles, starting with Prime (who's
not the leader, at least in the beginning of the game
)
http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2009/12/11/transformers-war-for-cybertron-character-profile-optimus-prime.aspx

0407.optimus-vehicle.jpg

0243.optimus-robot.jpg

This looks pretty awesome! I'm digging the designs for the different Transformers. Can't wait to get more info. Cautiously optimistic comes to mind after seeing the trailer.

lol, imbed, embed... potato pototo... I can't spell, haha.

Anywho, forgot to post this image, of a prototype for a toy based on Prime in the game. There's also a Soundwave RPM (goofy matchbox cars/ hotwheels with a robot image on the bottom) based on the game, so looks like we may be getting a few toy lines to go with the game:

war-for-cybertron-optimus-prime_1263136408.jpg

bread's done
Back