Transformers: Age of Extinction: Out now!

So it's confirmed that Galvatron is in the movie with that alternate truck mode shown months earlier.

http://transformerslive.blogspot.com/2014/02/toy-fair-confirms-galvatron-more-age-of.html

TF4VoyagerGalvatron.JPG

Also looks like they're renaming some of the Dinobots.  Instead of being called Swoop, the pterodactyl is two-headed & called Strafe.  

But at least the Velociraptor is getting a name unlike Beast Wars lazily naming their version Dinobot.

Wonder if they'll do every Transformers series involving has done   Make Galvatron a reformed Megatron or have him be a completely different person.  Either way, hopefully he'll have someone other than Hugo Weaving voicing him.

I didn't mind Hugo Weaving's Megatron.

I did mind that they never had Megatron do anything in 80% of any of the films.

I could have sworn there was a 2 headed beast decepticon that was I think a target master/head master in the rebirth episodes of the G1 series, forgot his name.

As long as the first hour isn't made up of Mark Wahlburg trying to scrounge up money for his kid or looking for a job or attending college, I will be happy.

Weird that they'd go with Optimus' G1 vehicle design in that trailer(unless that was Galvatron in vehicle mode).

The trailer seems to contradict what happened at the end of Dark of the Moon. That ended with them leaving, saying that humanity had to defend itself. This one seems to be that the Autobots didn't leave and humanity is trying to kick them off the planet.

Last edited by a moderator:
They didn't say they were leaving except for that scene where they were fooling the Decepticon's into thinking that they were. 

I don't know if that is OP in the trailer.  It might be Galvatron replaying OP call to other Autobots from the first movie.   It's hard to believe that OP took the form of that particular model and went into stasis lock for all those years.  So yes I think it is Galvatron.

I'm very excited to see they're getting actual voice talent to play character, instead of big hollywood actors who couldn't voice act their way out of a damp paper towel.  Especially, frank welker, and John Dimaggio, I can totally hear Cross hairs singing "Crosshairs is great!  Crosshairs is great! Crosshairs Crosshairs crosshairs!".  Or they might bring Arcee back, and he asks her "hey, baby, want to kill all decepticons?"

I think Welker's performance in Transformers Prime is the reason he gets to voice Galvatron, since his rendition of Movie Megatron in the games was underwhelming at best.

http://youtu.be/DkIPIkPPbdo

Still can't tell what's it about :|

The toys are out....getting hard to find except the crappy ones :(

So the movie is out and of course it made so much money and the studios knew this that they went ahead and put down that the sequel is coming in 2 years or so...

Some thoughts

-Takes place 5 years after the battle of Chicago

-Other governments have acquired transformer technology, which opens the door to other new interesting stories if done right.

-All the autobots are on the run and being hunted down by a CIA military group called Cemetery Wing...could be the former NEST group.

-No Cameos by anyone from the previous trilogy.  Not even a mention.  So you have no idea if they went into witness protection or jail or anything. 

-No explanation as to how the new transformers (Drift, Crosshairs, Hound) arrived on earth.  Brains survived the crash but Wheelie is gone.

-A private sector company  called KSI has reversed engineered Transformer technology using the remains of what was left after the battle of Chicago, which left it open for so many possibilities and stories. 

-Using Megatron's head, Brains was force to help KSI into making more transformers.

-Instead of cool new military type transformers, ALL KSI's transformers are CARS and Trucks....

-Megatron is back, but now as Galavatron.  His new robot mode looks shitty imho. 

-KSI's goal was to make a copy of OP but the transformatium kept on trying to recreate a Megatron instead.

-So if I were to figure this out correctly, Megatron lives even though his spark is dead. 

-I would have loved to have seen Galvatron look more similar to OP or forget the whole Galavatron and go for a Nemesis Prime.

-Yep this is one giant ad movie

-The dinobots are part of a group of legendry knights...huh?

-The dinobots get maybe 15-20 mins of screen time and they are let go.

-Dinobots DON'T Speak! :(  So no Gregg Berger (the voice of the original Grimlock).

-The battle of Chicago was better than the end battle of this movie.

-Rachette dies early on by CW and Lockdown pulls out his spark...for reason's unknown.

-The human made transformers have this weird transformation sequence that is different than anything seen before.  Instead of parts shifting around, the entire bot breaks apart into these cube like things, fly thru the air and reform in the new shape.  So Galavatron will drive in his truck mode, break apart into the cubes, fly thru the air and reform into robot mode.  I don't like it but would not be surprised if it is used in the next movie....

-Lockdown is pretty cool but easily defeated at the end by OP.

-Without a graphic novel or novelization to the movie, there is no real back story to how Lockdown came to earth and made the deal with the humans...I suspect it will be out in July or August.

-The Imagine Dragons music is ok, not as good as LP.

-SJ's score for this one had some Zimmer's influence in it...you do hear some themes from the original trilogy though.

-The ending scene was FORCED and left me saying, HUH?  Prime blasts off carrying the Seed and to find the "creators".  So the next movie will be in SPACE or a OP less movie.

And to top it off, yes this movie IS LONG!!!!!!  About 2hrs 40 mins until you hit the credits.  No mid or end credit scenes...so you can leave when they roll. 

I saw this in both RPX 3d and IMAX 3d.   Yes this movie was FILMED in IMAX 3d from what I saw yesterday as the film kept on changing aspect ratio.   Here are some thoughts on this.   In many sequences for example the chase scenes from the farm will switch between IMAX and standard several times so the entire sequence is not full IMAX filmed.   I can understand you can't put an imax camera inside a fast moving car because of it's size.  Compared to other directors including Nolan, I don't think Bay knows how to properly frame and utilize an IMAX camera to it's potential.  A lot of scenic shots were wasted imho.  No one needs to see a farm and corn field in IMAX.  Some of the shots in China like for example the great wall scenes were either shown too quickly or covered up by something flying past the camera distracting you from the beauty of the shot.  I do recall a LOT of shots in IMAX where of the Transformers talking.   Honestly don't know if that was a good idea to waste an IMAX background plate for that.

So it's up to you guys to see it in 2d, 3d, large premium format (RPX, Rave Xtreme, etc) or IMAX.  The 3d was used barely after the first hour as I do not recall anything popping out.  I suspect that a retailer will get the IMAX exclusive similar to the Revenge of the Fallen Walmart exclusive.  It does look like however pre-orders for the movie are already up with Amazon getting OP riding Grimlock statue, Target getting a transforming case and BB getting the steelbook.

I always went to Transformers movies on release day (2 and 3 were even midnight showings) and yet I didn't make any plans to see this one. At first I was thinking I'd get around to it soon but then I saw your list of spoiler so I figured I'd just click on it and read it. Yeah, to hell with most of that.

Ratchet dying is dumb and as soon as I saw on Reddit that someone dies early I just knew it was him. I knew they wouldn't touch their big toy movers prime and bumblebee so it just had to be Ratchet, which is a great big middle finger to the original trilogy and the few things that made it good (Ironhide's throwaway death is still worse though...).

As for the new transformation? That's incredibly dumb. Once again, one of the most interesting things about the original trilogy and the first movie in particular was the care and attention to detail in the transformations. Now though? fuck that, guess we'll just make it tiny little magic cubes.

oh I agree

Ratchet dying in the beginning was pretty much a given from the trailers.

Did Lockdown need to be a car in this movie? Why couldn't he be something more unique? oh way it's a Bay film so all about the cars...then character.

I can't say I dig Prime's new knight/armor look. I miss the windshield chest :( I thought the Allspark/Matrix of Leadership was the only thing that could reactivate a transformer? Yep Prime was reactivated via a battery for this one.

I forgot to mention Drift's helicopter mode was pretty cool. I was NOT expecting him to be a triple changer, which was nice but his face and look was stupid in robot mode. Is the toy a triple changer as well? or just car to robot?

oh and I saw this one at 9pm preview night...and saw it in IMAX 3d at 8:40am yesterday. I had to pee real bad when the movie was over the first time around.

Didn't see the collectable cups at the Regal or AMC I went to. I did get a real 3d glasses with the Decepticon logo on the side during the preview showing at Regal and standard IMAX 3d glasses at AMC. So I missed out on the special edition glasses. I did spent 20 bucks on the tshirt though....they should have given that shit away.

I always went to Transformers movies on release day (2 and 3 were even midnight showings) and yet I didn't make any plans to see this one. At first I was thinking I'd get around to it soon but then I saw your list of spoiler so I figured I'd just click on it and read it. Yeah, to hell with most of that.

Ratchet dying is dumb and as soon as I saw on Reddit that someone dies early I just knew it was him. I knew they wouldn't touch their big toy movers prime and bumblebee so it just had to be Ratchet, which is a great big middle finger to the original trilogy and the few things that made it good (Ironhide's throwaway death is still worse though...).

As for the new transformation? That's incredibly dumb. Once again, one of the most interesting things about the original trilogy and the first movie in particular was the care and attention to detail in the transformations. Now though? fuck that, guess we'll just make it tiny little magic cubes.

oh I agree

Ratchet dying in the beginning was pretty much a given from the trailers.
Did Lockdown need to be a car in this movie? Why couldn't he be something more unique? oh way it's a Bay film so all about the cars...then character.

I can't say I dig Prime's new knight/armor look. I miss the windshield chest :( I thought the Allspark/Matrix of Leadership was the only thing that could reactivate a transformer? Yep Prime was reactivated via a battery for this one.

I forgot to mention Drift's helicopter mode was pretty cool. I was NOT expecting him to be a triple changer, which was nice but his face and look was stupid in robot mode. Is the toy a triple changer as well? or just car to robot?

oh and I saw this one at 9pm preview night...and saw it in IMAX 3d at 8:40am yesterday. I had to pee real bad when the movie was over the first time around.

Didn't see the collectable cups at the Regal or AMC I went to. I did get a real 3d glasses with the Decepticon logo on the side during the preview showing at Regal and standard IMAX 3d glasses at AMC. So I missed out on the special edition glasses. I did spent 20 bucks on the tshirt though....they should have given that shit away.
I just realized that you're right. They made a big deal in Revenge of the Fallen that even a stasis lock/hibernating transformer needed a fragment of the all spark to be reawakened. Basically, what happened with Jetfire is where Optimus was at (based on what I saw from the trailers) yet Optimus didn't need an all spark fragment to be reawakened?

I really can't see myself going to see this movie at this point. I just have zero excitement for it and it looks almost exactly like Transformers 3 with new human characters.

Why was the first one so good and yet every one since then has been a complete dud?

I just realized that you're right. They made a big deal in Revenge of the Fallen that even a stasis lock/hibernating transformer needed a fragment of the all spark to be reawakened. Basically, what happened with Jetfire is where Optimus was at (based on what I saw from the trailers) yet Optimus didn't need an all spark fragment to be reawakened?

I really can't see myself going to see this movie at this point. I just have zero excitement for it and it looks almost exactly like Transformers 3 with new human characters.

Why was the first one so good and yet every one since then has been a complete dud?
That's a good question. The story wasn't mind blowing. I really thought the cinematography was well done. I also enjoyed the score, which to be honest was better than the movies that followed. The Decepitcon/Megatron themes were really well done.... I can't say anything about the 3rd movie score as they never released a cd for it (mp3 download only, which I refused to buy).

Go to the movie to satisfy your curiosity. It has a more serious tone and less humor/sexual references than the others. 75% of the budget looks like it was spent on explosions. I would make sure you are sober/awake and do this during the morning as it will drain you by the end.

I truly wonder how much money all these car makers make as a result of this bombastic advertising of their products in the movies??? Starting to see Yellow and black striped Cameros on the street again, which seem to only show up mostly on the road when these movies come out..then they just disappear for awhile.

I am probably going to buy the G1 type truck mode and the new OP truck modes and *possibly* Galavatron....maybe Bumblebee. It all depends on the sales.

I suffered through this on Saturday morning. I was a little surprised at just how many children were in the theater. I'd say the screening was predominantly families with multiple children age 10 and below.

I'm not sure that the spoiler tags are necessary. As is par for the course on a Transformer movie, the story/plot are not worth bothering with. There are no surprises that you need to keep from anyone. Everything involving thought that went into this film got tossed out a long time before it ever hit theaters. 

I will say that most of the actors seemed to be putting in a bit more effort. In the preceding two films, it honestly felt like everyone had just showed up to collect their paychecks. In this one the actors at least seemed to be trying.

Stanley Tucci was excellent, and Kelsey Grammer was no slouch either. Mark Wahlberg was unrelentingly earnest. But for me the standout performance was John Goodman as Hound. It was interesting to see some stunt casting go to the robots instead of just the human characters. John Goodman's Hound was consistently more appealing than the rest of the cast. He also usually had the least groan-inducing lines. I kind of feel like they just let him ad-lib constantly instead of sticking to whatever script they handed him.

And that brings me to the true failing of this movie. The writing for this film is awful. Just terrible. The story and plot are a big jumbled mess as well, but are far more palatable than the abysmal writing. Every line in this film made me want to plug my ears. It was the kind of script you would get if you tossed a couple of 12-year-olds into a locked room with a bunch of Transformers toys, a six-pack of Red Bull, and a box of crayons. Don't even bother with paper, let them write on the walls. "My face is my warrant!"

The unofficial policy is that we use spoiler tags for the opening weekend then Monday all bets are off and you can speak openly.

I agree with what you said. I re watched the 3rd one yesterday and you are right... the acting for the most part was better than the last.

Problem with the script is that I am sure they have good stories but Bay seems to always go in an screw something up with sexual references, bad jokes, bad one liners but have no problems setting things up to explode or great shots of cars zipping by.

This movie had potential and it did open up a lot of possibilities and side stories to be told but Bay doesn't know how to properly end a story. He just ends it with killing the bad guy and having prime take off.... forcing either to have the next one in space (Sorry Bay, no gm cars on another planet) or leaving us with a Prime less movie. Honestly the next movie should feature Ultra Magnus as the new leader. As for Galvatron, I don't know. I still don't know how Megatron was able to still be alive despite what happened to him in the last movie. I don't think the humans knew how the sparks worked so there is no way he could have transferred over. Megatron is not a program. He was really wasted in this film. Such a shame.

The problem isn't necessarily Michael Bay. The problem is that no one really seems to care about the quality of the writing in these films. At all.

And it's easy to see why. The writing has been uniformly awful across every entry. The meter fluctuates slightly, but its so low that any dips or peaks in quality are hardly noticeable. It's just a matter of which film's writing is the least awful. After seeing the film this weekend, it's become more apparent to me why we have reached this point.

These movies are for children. This should have been more obvious to me sooner. I think most people could forgive me for this particular oversight, as a LOT of content in these films would lead me to believe otherwise. Women dressed and made up like strippers, tons of violence, and plenty of crude, suggestive humor. This was generally not the norm for me in children's films growing up. Pot-brownies and panty shots, that's what you want to be exposing your underage kids to.  :roll:

But films like these, with the writing they have, can best be appreciated by the very, very young. Or grown adults with the mindset of someone twelve or below. Or a grown adult who has artificially rendered themselves the equivalent of someone twelve or below through the use of alcohol. When you are that young, you lack the experience necessary to recognize or appreciate solid writing. For that crowd, even half-decent writing is unnecessary to sell the film. So they don't even try. They know who their audience is.

It's just sad for me because I know how much better this could be. We see examples of it all the time. Recently, the Lego Movie decisively demonstrated how to make a film with fantastic writing that targeted children and adults equally. In many ways, spanning generational gaps was the major theme of the film. They pulled that off with a movie about tiny yellow plastic men whose elbows don't bend. I don't think it unreasonable to hope for just a "smidge" better writing in the Transformers franchise. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare, but even 80s Schwarzenegger vehicles had better writing than this.

The problem isn't necessarily Michael Bay. The problem is that no one really seems to care about the quality of the writing in these films. At all.

And it's easy to see why. The writing has been uniformly awful across every entry. The meter fluctuates slightly, but its so low that any dips or peaks in quality are hardly noticeable. It's just a matter of which film's writing is the least awful. After seeing the film this weekend, it's become more apparent to me why we have reached this point.

These movies are for children. This should have been more obvious to me sooner. I think most people could forgive me for this particular oversight, as a LOT of content in these films would lead me to believe otherwise. Women dressed and made up like strippers, tons of violence, and plenty of crude, suggestive humor. This was generally not the norm for me in children's films growing up. Pot-brownies and panty shots, that's what you want to be exposing your underage kids to. :roll:

But films like these, with the writing they have, can best be appreciated by the very, very young. Or grown adults with the mindset of someone twelve or below. Or a grown adult who has artificially rendered themselves the equivalent of someone twelve or below through the use of alcohol. When you are that young, you lack the experience necessary to recognize or appreciate solid writing. For that crowd, even half-decent writing is unnecessary to sell the film. So they don't even try. They know who their audience is.

It's just sad for me because I know how much better this could be. We see examples of it all the time. Recently, the Lego Movie decisively demonstrated how to make a film with fantastic writing that targeted children and adults equally. In many ways, spanning generational gaps was the major theme of the film. They pulled that off with a movie about tiny yellow plastic men whose elbows don't bend. I don't think it unreasonable to hope for just a "smidge" better writing in the Transformers franchise. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare, but even 80s Schwarzenegger vehicles had better writing than this.
Maybe you should try watching the movies from the perspective that the Autobots are actually the bad guys and all that juvenile crap is an essay on how that's what we want out of a huge summer blockbuster.

I took my kids and one of my nephews to see this last week. It was horrendous. And so long too. However the boys liked it a lot and two of the tickets were $10 off each, so it's alright.

However the boys liked it a lot and two of the tickets were $10 off each, so it's alright.
I reiterate my previous point about these movies primarily being for children. There are quite a few of the original Transformers cartoon episodes that have aged very, very poorly. A few of them are still good, but quite a bit more are almost intolerable as an adult. That's kind of how I feel about the Transformer films. I'm sure they are considerably more entertaining for six-year-olds, but there is far too much dross for my more developed sensibilities to overlook. It's times like this that I lament my sobriety. Movies like this would be much more entertaining if I were drunk.

Thank goodness for films like Frozen and The Lego Movie. Though targeted at children, they are thoughtful and charming enough to be appealing to the more experienced.

The one thing I learned by watching this movie is that PG-13 movies can have F-bombs in them.

The kids I took were 11, 13 and 14. All three liked it, so it's not just 6 year olds that like these movies.

I'm stuck watching these extremely sucky movies since my little brother (12 year old) likes them so I take one for the team and take him to go watch them. I could do without the masturbation talk, dog humping, transformer balls and having a laminated card explaining why it's legal for a 20 year old to be banging a minor, though.

I think PG-13 movies are allowed to use the f-world once.

It's funny how people say the movie is better when they are drunk, yet I have never seen ANYONE drunk at a movie theater. If your that drunk, you wouldn't have made it past the BO without someone noticing. Frozen and Lego, although good, tend to have songs which you have to tolerate hearing about for MONTHS after the movie comes out.

Oh yeah, in case anyone cares, the score is up on Amzon and ITunes. CD to follow, but that's what he said last time for the 3rd one , which STILL has not been released.

I reiterate my previous point about these movies primarily being for children. There are quite a few of the original Transformers cartoon episodes that have aged very, very poorly. A few of them are still good, but quite a bit more are almost intolerable as an adult. That's kind of how I feel about the Transformer films. I'm sure they are considerably more entertaining for six-year-olds, but there is far too much dross for my more developed sensibilities to overlook. It's times like this that I lament my sobriety. Movies like this would be much more entertaining if I were drunk.

Thank goodness for films like Frozen and The Lego Movie. Though targeted at children, they are thoughtful and charming enough to be appealing to the more experienced.

I thought this one was a lot better than the last 3. Mark Wahlberg is a big improvement over Shia and they cut down the bad humor by a lot which was a good choice.

The movie continued the darker tone that the third one had.

All you people who said they saw it because they knew a guy who had kids who left them with you to babysit or whatever horseshit story you guys came up with to lie to yourself contributed to making a part 5. So congrats.

It's funny how people say the movie is better when they are drunk, yet I have never seen ANYONE drunk at a movie theater. If your that drunk, you wouldn't have made it past the BO without someone noticing. Frozen and Lego, although good, tend to have songs which you have to tolerate hearing about for MONTHS after the movie comes out.

Oh yeah, in case anyone cares, the score is up on Amzon and ITunes. CD to follow, but that's what he said last time for the 3rd one , which STILL has not been released.
I seen a drunk dude at the latest Captain America movie. He was siting a row in front of me and two seats over. He started off watching the movie quietly then towards the end he was laud and annoying, overreacting to everything in the movie. He was reaking of tequila at the end. So I'm guessing he did enjoy the movie more with every drink.

All you people who said they saw it because they knew a guy who had kids who left them with you to babysit or whatever horseshit story you guys came up with to lie to yourself contributed to making a part 5. So congrats.
I felt hella dirty at the end knowing some asshole in a suit in Hollywood was going to look at the box office numbers and greenlight more Transformers movies. I had to go home and pull an Ace Ventura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN0XRkSyhwM

There have been plans for 6 parts (this being the start of a three part thing) for years, I think the success of the movie would've only had some part to do with them making more.

bread's done
Back