transformers seasons

unicron129

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Does anybody know the best deals for the first three sets. Season 1, season 2 part 1, and season 2 part 2? I know they are OoP but I want to complete my Rhino collection. I dont really want the new sony ones that are going to come out.

I've been looking for these myself and everyone keeps saying wait for the sony ones. Anyone else know where to find them?

They are OOP, so ebay, gamestop, and other used places. That is where I found my season 2 volume 1, and extra copy of season 1 volume 1.

Don't forget to also check your local EB or Gamestop for used copies. I've seen these on a couple of occasions and a few times in pretty good condition :)

Does anyone own the Complete collection they sell on ebay ? I'm sure it's a bootleg, but it looks like a really nice bootleg.

[quote name='KingDox']Does anyone own the Complete collection they sell on ebay ? I'm sure it's a bootleg, but it looks like a really nice bootleg.[/quote]
I have the one in the tin that comes with a keychain and some nice postcards. There are 15 DVDs in the set that come with a art book that acts as a slipcase. Here is the set I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1-Complete-98-Episode-15-DVD9-Tin-Boxset_W0QQitemZ140081569265QQihZ004QQcategoryZ617QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It includes all the TV episodes plus the old version of the movie. The above auction claims this is an official Chinese release, but from what I can tell it's a very nice bootleg of the Rhino release complete with extras. But then again the DVDs do have Chinese audio, so who knows what the deal is.

The video quality is quite good as well. I am very happy with this set which I believe set me back around $50 shipped from China. Unless your trying to complete your R1 collection, I'd highly recommend these DVDs.

With the movie coming out this summer you'd think that there would be a new release of the TV show. Any word on that happening?

[quote name='schnuth']I have the one in the tin that comes with a keychain and some nice postcards. There are 15 DVDs in the set that come with a art book that acts as a slipcase. Here is the set I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1-Complete-98-Episode-15-DVD9-Tin-Boxset_W0QQitemZ140081569265QQihZ004QQcategoryZ617QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It includes all the TV episodes plus the old version of the movie. The above auction claims this is an official Chinese release, but from what I can tell it's a very nice bootleg of the Rhino release complete with extras. But then again the DVDs do have Chinese audio, so who knows what the deal is.

The video quality is quite good as well. I am very happy with this set which I believe set me back around $50 shipped from China. Unless your trying to complete your R1 collection, I'd highly recommend these DVDs.

With the movie coming out this summer you'd think that there would be a new release of the TV show. Any word on that happening?[/QUOTE]

I'll give the bootleggers credit on that one, when they go all out they go all out

I'd also check used dvd stores as well, Im glad I have all of them, from what I hear, the new ones will basically be the same transfers

I will be interested to see how the seasons will be split up when Sony releases them, and if there will be a complete collection. I still need season 2 volume 2 and season 3 volume 1 to complete my collection. Then again I do have all 98 us episodes on vhs and the other 110 japanese episodes made after that + scramble city, so I'll probably triple dip if Sony delivers something beyond just repackaged rhino dvds.

I have Season 1 sealed, for sale or trade. Make an offer, with a PM please. Looking for Wii or DS games especially, will look at tradelists. Visit my lonely list here. Thanks.

[quote name='schnuth']The video quality is quite good as well. I am very happy with this set which I believe set me back around $50 shipped from China. Unless your trying to complete your R1 collection, I'd highly recommend these DVDs.[/quote]

I have these as well and have also enjoyed them. I got them just to see the old shows again. Spending the ~$50 on these was worth it compared to hunting for the overpriced Rhino ones.

Does it even have the same animated menus as the Rhino version?

[quote name='kell']I have these as well and have also enjoyed them. I got them just to see the old shows again. Spending the ~$50 on these was worth it compared to hunting for the overpriced Rhino ones.[/quote]

I just checked ebay and apparently the hardest season to find is the season 3 part 2 and season 4. It sold for $100 here. I have seasons 3 part 1 and 3 part 2 and season 4 with season 2 part 2 pending. I just want to have the series not make a profit. I still need the first two box sets so If you have a reasonable price it would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='unicron129']I just checked ebay and apparently the hardest season to find is the season 3 part 2 and season 4. It sold for $100 here. I have seasons 3 part 1 and 3 part 2 and season 4 with season 2 part 2 pending. I just want to have the series not make a profit. I still need the first two box sets so If you have a reasonable price it would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Thats the only one I have. I wish I had just bought the others even at FYEs insane prices.

I have season 1, season 2 part 1, and season 3 part 1... Couldn't get the whole thing... so if anybody is interested, let me know.

[quote name='peterm']Does it even have the same animated menus as the Rhino version?[/quote]

Have no idea as I have never seen the Rhino ones. Plus, I don't know Chinese so I don't spend much time in the menus. The first couple discsk, the ones I have watched so far, have an autobot symbol as the main menu. I just push enter and it starts playing so that's as far as I got into the menus.

To me these are a good options for those just looking to watch them. Can't beat the price compared to what the Rhino ones go for and who knows what Sony will do with them if anything. Plus I didn't want to get bent over for $40/season or whatever Sony will charge.

I was hesitiant to buy them, but I am glad I did.

I second that ebay set I bought it and was a little worried. But its real nice. and other than the packaging there are english titles for the episodes and you aren't bombarded with chinese language on the menus to confuse you.

I have a season 3.2 & 4 for trade/sale. It does not have the art cells/booklets but is otherwise in great shape. Would probably sell for $50 or trade for DS, 360 games (Lost Planet) or hd dvds. PM me if anyone is interested.

[quote name='brendandwc']I second that ebay set I bought it and was a little worried. But its real nice. and other than the packaging there are english titles for the episodes and you aren't bombarded with chinese language on the menus to confuse you.[/QUOTE]

Can someone explain to me how blatant bootleggers are able to continue doing business on Ebay?

Is it that Ebay doesn't care, or are they getting around on some sort of technicality. I am pretty cynical about Ebay and their money-hungry motivations but to have complete and utter disregard for pirated merchandise being sold on their site seems strange for even Ebay. I've always wondered...

Surely it's not so simple as "they can't prove it", because a lot of those sellers have too much positive feedback to be an account just created to get around Ebay.

You guys forget, companies in other territories hold the rights to manufacture & distribute different IP's in different territories.

Don't go jumping to conclusions and calling everything from China, "Bootleg" because they have a ton of real retail releases over there as well.

While that may be true, it is rare to see a legitimate Chinese release on eBay. China is the king of DVD piracy and while they are taking steps to curb piracy, it is still quite rampant. Legitimate Asian DVDs (and CDs for that matter) tend to be extremely high priced as well, so I find the odds of someone selling a near 100 episode series for $20 highly unlikely unless it is a bootleg. (Yes, I know a couple of companies are attempting to undercut DVD piracy with low priced legit DVDs but there are only 2 last I checked and it is in limited practice.) Odds are that is an exact bootleg copy of the official Chinese release, which probably costs in the hundreds of dollars.

[quote name='Gully']You guys forget, companies in other territories hold the rights to manufacture & distribute different IP's in different territories.

Don't go jumping to conclusions and calling everything from China, "Bootleg" because they have a ton of real retail releases over there as well.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crowbb']Legitimate Asian DVDs (and CDs for that matter) tend to be extremely high priced as well. [/quote]

Not necessarily. All the legit Region 3 DVDs I own were very affordable. Now if your talking about Region 2 Japanese discs.... then yes, they are pretty expensive. But legit Chinese DVDs can be had for sometimes cheaper then their R1 counterparts.

I got the eBay set as well... It's not bootleg IMO, it's more like a Chinese release. Well, the video quality is same as that on Rhino. There's a disc actually split the screen between the "orginal" vs "restored."

I sold my Rhino collection (less that i paid for... damn) and got that instead.

Lots of reasons:

1. Less dvd space, i got no more room on the rack
2. Cool tin and post cards
3. Is the same freaking quality!
4. Heehee, Chinese track, i never watched Transformers in Chinese and LMAO at the Chinese names, it's fun! Something i won't get from the Rhino's release.
5. If it's a bootleg, man, they're real good, too good... Hell, if that's the case, i'm buying bootlegs :)

Could anyone get a picture of their G1 season 1 box set (a picture of the box set opened up to where you can see all the discs)? The one I have is a little wierd on the backing behind the discs. Usually they are color coded with the discs.

The final Transformers set isn't the rarest of the bunch though, as both GIJoe and Jem and the Holograms were never completed to my knowledge. Those two saw their last releases just before the Rhino contract ended. Originally, Rhino, Hasbro and Sunbow were trying to work out a new contract to extend the license, but it fell through, which is where Sony came in.

Trying to find Jem and the Holograms Season 3, Part 1 is pretty much impossible.

[quote name='unicron129']Could anyone get a picture of their G1 season 1 box set (a picture of the box set opened up to where you can see all the discs)? The one I have is a little wierd on the backing behind the discs. Usually they are color coded with the discs.[/quote]
The one I have has clear holders, but disc 1 & 3 don't match the colors on the discs. Disc 1 has a blue ring, but a red background and Disc 3 has a red ring, but a blue background. I found this picture on Ebay, which is the best picture I could find. I don't know, maybe it was a manufacturing error with the mismatched colors?

MVC778F.JPG

As for someone asking about the Sony season sets, Season 1 is supposed to be released sometime this summer. And it might just be a re-release of the Rhino DVDs since they released a extra disc with the 20th anniversary edition of the movie that had "More than meets the eye" and it was the exact same thing that's on the Rhino DVDs(altered sound effects & alternate animation). I won't care as long as I'm able to get Season 2, 3 & 4.

thnaks a lot tangerine. I thought my set was just defective. I took off the clear parts because the glue made the case looked like it was cracked. I will just crazy glue them back on.

Damn, looks like they aren't going to be rereleasing the G1 seasons at all anymore. Here's the full story.
Transformers - SonyWonder Goes Under; Uncertain Future For Transformers DVDs!
Posted by David Lambert
3/17/2007

Last October we reported that SonyWonder's DVD re-release of the animated Transformers movie contained trailers indicating that the studio would also re-release the "G1" television episodes, and that we could expect them sometime in 2007. Now it looks like it's too late to for SonyWonder to execute those plans. Our good friend Thomas K. Arnold, in a story for The Hollywood Reporter and Reuters that was carried by Yahoo! News, says that SonyWonder is closing their doors. Here are the appropriate highlights quoted from the story:

Children's audio and video label Sony Wonder...will soon be history. Sources say parent company Sony BMG Music Entertainment is shuttering the label to focus on its core music business.

A company spokesman declined comment, but sources said Jim Wilson, the division's executive vp and general manager, is leaving the company.

...Sesame Workshop left Sony Wonder in February, cutting a long-term deal with Genius Products that gives Genius the North American DVD rights to its 100-plus titles, many of them consisting of "Sesame Street" episodes. Sony Wonder had distributed Sesame Workshop titles for more than a decade.

Classic Media exited the month before...[and] Shout! Factory, another of Sony Wonder's distributed labels, is reportedly moving to Vivendi Visual Entertainment for DVD distribution, bringing with it an assortment of eclectic music and TV product.

Sony Wonder reportedly is in the final stages of winding down its operations...the last slate of DVDs Sony Wonder brought to market shipped in November and included "A Sesame Street Christmas Carol" and a 20th anniversary edition of "Transformers: The Movie."

So where does that leave the other Transformers DVD re-releases, and other Sunbow properties that SonyWonder's license bought them, like G.I. Joe, Jem and the Holograms and InHumanoids? We're not sure, but it certainly sounds like they won't be coming from SonyWonder. But, instead of speculating here on what will happen next, we'll just tell you to...stay tuned!

Does anybody know where I can get the clear cases used for the season 1 box set or another DVD set with the same kind of case? I used "Oops!" oil to take off the glue and it made the clear plastic blurry. If anyone knows how to fix that please let me know.

lol at the people who sold their Rhino sets in hopes of getting Sony ones and making $$ off it.

Interesting thread folks. While working for Gamestop briefly about 2 1/4 years ago now, I purchased Season 1, and Season 2 part 1 & 2 used B2G1F. Figured I'd been a BIG fan as a kid, and I'd like to watch the old episodes. Truth is, I haven't found much time to sit down and watch them. I watched the original first show and it didn't go quite how I'd remembered. Since then, I've been meaning to make some time... as I LOVED Starscream and the Combaticons, but always run out of time. :(

So it sounds like if you didn't get Seasons 3 and 4 before now... they are pretty pricey? Anyone know what season the Combaticons are in? I was never a fan of the dinobots... but the Combaticons are COOL! ;)

Oh, and that Chinese "Bootleg" set sounds interesting. Maybe that's the answer to getting Seasons 3 and 4. Off to look at that now...

[quote name='E-Z-B']lol at the people who sold their Rhino sets in hopes of getting Sony ones and making $$ off it.[/quote]
I traded my only one to Unicron. :cry:
I hope someone picks up the rights for G1 soon.

[quote name='E-Z-B']lol at the people who sold their Rhino sets in hopes of getting Sony ones and making $$ off it.[/quote]I only had Season 1 from Rhino, so it makes a lot more sense to wait for Sony, or whoever buys the rights from them, to release the whole series rather than try to get the rest of the Rhino sets for an exhorbitant amount. It's not as if it's a dead property, with the movie coming out this summer.

[quote name='merkman']So it sounds like if you didn't get Seasons 3 and 4 before now... they are pretty pricey? Anyone know what season the Combaticons are in? I was never a fan of the dinobots... but the Combaticons are COOL! ;)[/quote]

They first appear in the Season 2 Part 2 DVD set in the episode called "Starscream's Brigade".

Good thing I held onto my Season 1 set, although I would've probably kept anyway since it sounded like the Sony ones were identical. I just hope they eventually re-release them soon(along with G.I. Joe box sets).

I'd not be too worried. Someone would probably pick up the rights and run with them, considering that the movie comes out fairly soon.

Wait, so there is no new Sony set coming out? I thought it was set to come out around the movie, be even more overpriced than the Rhino sets were, and have 'updates' like cleaned up or upgraded picture, sound, etc.

In any case, I have the entire set from Rhino and love love love it. Same with the movie, but I will probably pick up the recent reissue sometime soon, probably around the time of the movie when it is sure to be on sale at BB or whereever.

I'm just pissed that they stopped putting out GI Joe. I have Season 1 part 1 and 2, and season 2 part 1. Was that all that they put out?

[quote name='karkyco']Wait, so there is no new Sony set coming out?

I'm just pissed that they stopped putting out GI Joe. I have Season 1 part 1 and 2, and season 2 part 1. Was that all that they put out?[/quote]

No, the new Sony sets are not coming out, that division is closing.

As for G.I. Joe Season 2 Part 2, no, it never came out. Sony snapped up the rights before Rhino could release it.

bread's done
Back