Transformers: The Game Impressions?

aerol

CAGiversary!
Anyone run out and buy Transformers: The Game for PS2 today? If so, what are your initial impressions of the game?

Stick with the 2004 Atari version. It's way too short, can finish both sides within 2 hours each. Unlockable really are not worth it(paint jobs and unlockable stills). Better to just rent it than spend $40 on it.

is the other transformers game any good though. i remember there being one on the ps2 that was based off of one of the recent cartoons.

"is the other transformers game any good though. i remember there being one on the ps2 that was based off of one of the recent cartoons."

Here is the rundown on the other Transformers games. And for the record, I collected all the toys and comics in the 80's. I consider myself a casual fan though, because I am not fully versed in the mythology.

There have been almost ten Transformers games total (on all kinds of systems, including Commodore 64, PC, NES and others). For a good laugh, check out Mystery of Convoy on the NES... absolutely shite game, but amusing in a retro way.

There was another Japan-only Transformers game for PS2 (released in 2003) which was a 3D action brawler based on the cartoon. There are some hardcore fans out there that love it. This import-only game also has one of the coolest unlockables I've ever seen.. a full 3D database where you can view and transform a ton of the robots (most of them are playable as well).

The 2004 PS2 game (based on the Armada series) is widely considered the best executed and most successful of all the transformers games. It's also the easiest to find. If you can find it, pick it up used.

You can only play as 3 different autobots, but the environments and the boss battles are well done. Simply massive areas, full of minicons and unlockable movies and artwork. The minicons enhance your abilities in very specific ways, from force shields to missile upgrades to wings which allow you to fly. The enemy types are all very similar, but no battle is the same. Surviving in the environments takes a lot of maneuvering, and the enemy A.I. really forces you to take advantage of all the minicon abilities you find.

As a bonus, the transforming element in this game is nice. For instance, you can plow ahead as a vehicle, hit a ramp, catch air, and transform in mid air, skidding across the ground as a robot, guns blazing.

For the record, the Armada robots may not look like the Transformers from the first wave (or the cartoon), but they look a hell of a lot more like Transformers than the strangely Antoni Gaudi-esque creations of Michael Bay.

bread's done
Back