10% off disc10
Latest Transformers news:

• Dark of the Moon toyline to be released at retail on May 15, 2011
  • Transformers Prime toyline to be released at retail in October 2011
Latest Transformers figures available at retail now:

• Generations Warpath, Kup, and Scourge
  • Dark of the Moon Preview Pack Cyberverse Optimus Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you guys seen this Predaking on Amazon?
91MF0y8gjBL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CM5DA62/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Airachnid is actually in stock too for 12.99 (I know it's supposed to be a horrible figure, but I never once saw it in stores and every time I checked it was 20.00+ so this is the first time I've seen it online for "retail"): http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-98742-TRANSFORMERS-Prime-Revealers/dp/B006CD36OG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374283044&sr=8-1&keywords=airrachnid
Airachnid isn't what I'd call horrible. It's disappointing in a lot of ways, but it's also quite clever that they managed to squeeze that figure into that vehicle mode. Vehicle looks great. Robot is a little hobbled from having to fit into such a constrained alt mode, but I've seen worse.

The most disappointing things were 1) lack of paint (what else is new) and 2) they didn't even try with the rotors, which just can't come anywhere close to the spider limbs seen in the show. The closest approximation is just sad. I think that's the biggest issue with this toy. The show model is so cool and the possibilities for a really cool toy are there, but the reality is so much less.

That said, Airachnid isn't even the worst Prime figure. Bumblebee, Sergeant Kup, and a couple of others have it beat in the suck department. Think of Airachnid as kind of like ROTF Blazemaster -- it does some things very well, some things badly, but overall its just kind of average and a wee bit disappointing based on what it could have been.

You can also probably still find Airachnid at Big Lots for $8. Worth a pickup if you like Prime.

I found IDW Bumblebee and Megatron deluxes at Target. No Trailcutter or Orion Pax though. This was also the only Target I've seen the Wreckers at, though they were long gone.

Stores are starting to receive masterpiece figures this week. Check your stores.
Would be awesome if we could find them, since Toys R Us is running a B1G1 50% off Transformers this week. Picked up the Ruination guys with a FoC Starscream at a TRU last night.

One of TRU's red hot deals for today is Prime R.I.D. and DotM Mechtech deluxes are $5 (limit 4).  Since the writing says Prime Robots in Disguise, not sure if that includes the Beast Hunters figures or not.

Had stopped in to my local store this morning looking for MP Soundwave, and the few Prime deluxes that were there last night were gone.  There were a number of Mechtech moved up to an endcap near the entrance.  Tag said it can't be combined with other offers, so it probably won't stack with the B1G1.  Scanned a Generations deluxe, came up at the $12.99 price.

I had seen Vehicons at a couple stores in the past week, some people might be able to boost their cannon fodder ranks today.

Stores got them and sold out asap. Said they had a line at the opening of the stores. They must have known somehow that they got them. Im calling back that store right now that said they couldn't sell them and if they sold them im gonna lose my shit. I could have gotten them yesterday.

shit, as expected either no MP SW or sold out already at the few TRU's near me.  Really hoping this turns out closer to Thundercracker (impossible to find at first, but can be found even now.  Still big thanks to Yakkotank for hooking me up with one last year!) than Prime (impossible to find, never really showed up at most stores [at least near me])

Went to five TRUs today.  No Acid Storm, Soundwave, or evidence that either had been at any one of them.

Found the Asian Generations Powerdive and Megatron at one of them, so picked them up with the BOGO50.  Most TRUs had the $5 PRID and DOTM Deluxes, but most also had crappy selection.  I saw a Vehicon only at one.

In other news, went to two Targets with new stuff.

The first put out all the Predacon Rising stuff and the IDW Generations.  Walked out with Orion Pax, Bumblebee, and the Abominus set.  Didn't pick up any of the other Beast Hunters stuff.

The second Target had only the IDW Generations.  They had a fresh case out, so picked up Megatron and Trailcutter.  The good news is the IDW Generations appears to be 2 each to a case -- no shortpacks!  Hooray!

Abominus is...small.  And it's a different deco than the existing ones -- I'm not sure if I like it.  I tend to like clear plastic, so that's a bonus.  But it's kind of candy colored and garish.  $24.99

The IDW Generations are nice.  Haven't opened them.  Orion Pax and Bumblebee don't excite me, but Trailcutter and Megatron are great.  Nicely painted, and the packaging is a step up with the comic book.  $12.99

Nice to see that even with the comic the new Generation figs are the same price.  I was afraid they'd try and use that as an excuse to jack up the prices.

IIRC, Abominus doesn't have anything the standard figs don't already have, right?  Just a different color scheme/clear plastic.  Seems like the price is equivalent too.  Wonder if it's worth it to try and find the standards or just say screw it and grab the box set...

Nice to see that even with the comic the new Generation figs are the same price. I was afraid they'd try and use that as an excuse to jack up the prices.

IIRC, Abominus doesn't have anything the standard figs don't already have, right? Just a different color scheme/clear plastic. Seems like the price is equivalent too. Wonder if it's worth it to try and find the standards or just say screw it and grab the box set...
Yeah, I was relieved with the Deluxes, too, especially since I've seen a couple of Targets put the last set of them (Ultra Magnus and friends) at $17.99 again.

Abominus doesn't seem to have anything extra -- it has the figures and their weapons and nothing else, but it's five figures for $24.99 -- that seems better than the standards, unless you can find them on sale.

Looking on Google Images, the standard set is a little closer to G1, but it's still different enough that I think it's just a matter of personal preference. Hun-Gurrr looks off to me on both of them, so I'd just as well have the one with clear plastic.

Managed to get the soundwave from that store. They only had one left and still gave me shit about getting it. I told them that yesterday, they had two so how can now you only have one. They were sticking to this august 4th date and so they called another store and verified that everyone else had sold them already. Then the worker said ok, i'll sell it to you.

I got his name on the way out. I told him I justed wanted to know who to crucify on the survey i'm gonna do for the store. He gave me a dirty stare that could have killed me. I'm not really gonna do it but i wanted him to think i would.

I too found target stocked with the IDW figures. There was a guy already there bought all the damned Megatrons. But I grabbed Bee, Trailcutter and Orion Pax. Of the three, Bumblebee is my least favorite. It's a cool looking mold with a fairly standard transformation, but the yellow plastic is god-awful. It's cheap and dull looking, not the bright vivid yellows I've gotten used to and come to expect on him. Plus he has like three paint apps, it's sad really. I mean the Rescue Bots Bumblebee has more paint and brighter colored yellow plastic than this thing.  :(

I too found target stocked with the IDW figures.
Oh, hey demonchylde, I forgot to mention that the Target that set out the Predacon Rising stuff also had new Construct Bots -- two of the smaller sets. I think one was Starscream.

Some thoughts on Abominus: what the holy hell is this?

First, there are some big differences from the package art to the final product. If you look at the box and some of the online pictures, it looks like there's more clear plastic than there really is. I had thought this, but wasn't sure till I got them all out. Some of them, like Blot/Blight, have some subtle clear plastic. But the back of the box would have you think it's mostly clear plastic, and it's not.

And that's a big problem, because the clear plastic looks mostly good and the solid does...not. It's bad, mainly because of color choices. The back of the box has them all mislabeled, so I'm going to go with their G1 names. Sinnertwin/Twinstrike looks silly with baby blue. Cutthroat is done up in teal. Hun-Gurr is a light red plastic for the clear bits and a very light grey for the solid bits. It's not pink, but think of Barbie-style ruby jewelry.

Two unfortunate choices really sink the color scheme -- the first is a yellow accent paint that most of the figures share. It's a bright yellow that is actually quite cheery, or would be if the paint was a bit more heavily coated. The second is that all the weapons are molded in clear purple. Which, on it's own would be fine -- they look great.

Together, it looks like the Easter Bunny made a combiner.

It's all pastels and jewel tones, with light solid plastics and that silly yellow. Abominus is supposed to be scary, but it's hard to be afraid of teal. Or watermelon jolly ranchers. Despite the fearsome sculpts, I can't get past the impression that this combiner is here to give me candy and plastic jewelry.

Plastic quality is pretty cheap. If I didn't buy it myself, I'd think this is one of those wacky third party knockoffs.

Sinnertwin/Twinstrike and Hun-Gurrr are pretty good in terms of sculpt -- they have decent beasts and good robot modes. Blot/Blight is somewhat an improvement over G1, which was a strange, strange...thing. But the robot hands just hang to the sides of the beast feet. It's ugly.

Cutthroat and Rippersnapper have very nice and clever robot modes. It's the beasts that are weird -- spindly or unconvincing. Rippersnapper is...I am at a loss for words. In G1, he was a shark-like thing and I don't even know what this is supposed to be anymore. It almost looks more like a plated insectoid rather than a beast. Cutthroat has a badass robot mode, but the beast gives the impression of a bird of prey in its chick phase, waiting in the nest for some worms. (The G1 sculpt was nothing to write home about either.)

The gestalt connections are a mix of great and horrifying. The arms are great -- two sets of double pegs for each arm. These are easy and stable connections. The only issue is that they depend on Hun-Gurrr's foot ball joints, and the soft plastic means they're not super tight. This can be fixed with nail polish. The arms are pretty mismatched -- one 'hand' is Rippersnapper's beak, which looks gimpy. The other is four of Sinnertwinstrike's appendages, which is grossly oversized.

The legs are awful. It's a clever bit of inserting the dragon heads into the chest cavities and locking on to some clips. Unfortunately, because of the soft plastic and poor tolerance (and, perhaps, being shipped in Abominus configuration, which meant these were always connected, stressed, and stretched), they don't lock well. At all. It's better than early PCC spontaneous ejection, but not by much. On mine, Rippersnapper's sort of works, but Blot/Blight's is clearly not holding well. There really isn't much in the way of meaningful leg articulation, but this is a design disaster. Abominus has thunderthighs which don't hold together well -- a bad combination. At least it stands pretty well, but there won't be any dynamic poses.

Packaging is pretty good, though they got most of the names wrong -- it points to Hun-Gurrr and says Twinstrike, and on. Instructions are decent -- a different style, but not bad. Unfortunately, they're not very helpful. And Blot/Blight got left out -- I have an insert page that is Rippersnapper duplicated on both sides.

To sum it up: someone dropped the ball, bigtime. The color scheme is a colossal mistake. I have a kind of fondness for it, because it's super stupid. But this is the most laughably colored combiner that doesn't involve Disney characters. It would be much better if it did look like the box, with its smoky greys and blues and a red that is actually red and not watermelon. The original Abominus had some odd colors, but here they are light instead of dark, cheerful instead of threatening, and completely wrong.

The toy itself is not terrible, but it's a mix of bad and good ideas that are adversely affected by cheap, soft plastics, lack of articulation, and some strange design decisions. I don't know if the standalone figures will be better, but I will not be finding out. I recommend you avoid this and put the money toward something else.

And now, for something better, IDW Generations Megatron

In short: Buy it if you can find it

This is a great figure, and a return to what made Generations great.  Even though we had a stealth bomber not too long ago with Scourge, this is quite different.  Scourge was a bit more finished on the bottom, but Megatron is thinner and more realistic as a plane.  Plus, there's virtually no kibble in either mode.

The figure is painted well, with varying colors of plastic.  In a particularly cool implementation, the plastic is a speckled black.  This is really well matched with the paint that covers up the clear plastic of the wingtips/weapons.  It's not perfect, as it's a thin layer of paint.  Still, it is a nice effort and a great effect.

Megatron looks great in both modes.  The design is reminiscent of the first SWTF Vader in that he folds up into a brick.  But it's all in how you do it.  I didn't need the instructions at all because the design guided me, which is always something I like to see. 

There are some really nice bits in robot mode.  The way the chest folds out is impressive and impressive looking.  Also, there some nice details in the shoulders.  This is something that the Bayformers tried to do with stuff sprouting up and parts folding in different ways, but here it's simple and subtle and all the more effective.

There are really few things I would change about it.  It might be better in a bigger size, as befits Megatron.  Also, while the top of the stealth bomber is great, the bottom is not something to look at.  Still, given the size class and the sheer quality of everything else, I can't complain.

The comic has many of the detail lines painted glowing purple.  This would have been nice, but I can also get behind the decision not to do that on the figure.  The figure is a convincing stealth bomber and doesn't need a bunch of garish purple paint.  (That said, I kind of would like to see it nonetheless)

Packing it with the comic book is icing on the cake and pretty genius.  Rather than the silly Armada books, which were only good for making fun of (JaAm!), this is a well produced, decently written if ultimately unfulfilling book about the character.  Why they never did this before is beyond me, as it can only help both the brand and IDW. 

I also have to say that I am very glad that the comic book neither made the total package more expensive, nor did it affect the quality or size of the figure in any appreciable way.

I feel like I complain a lot about things, and I have often felt in the past year or so that Hasbro/Transformers have made some poor decisions or gone in bad directions.  It's figures like this that keep me going.  It's a home run in every area, and I am very thankful that we still get toys like this.

SDCC stuff went up on HTS on like Wednesday around 3:30pm EST I think.  There is still some stuff left, but only like have of the offerings.  There was a coupon code, but didn't apply to exclusives (which the SDCC toys were).

Great feedback/reviews as usual blandstalker!

Might pick up the Abominus gift set and keep the receipt.  That way if I happen across all the individual figs I can return it, but if I can't by the time the return period is up I'll at least have it.

Really hope I run into some of those new IDW Generation figs this week.  Soundwave... sigh.  I just don't know.  Unless shipments ramp up due to demand/they keep producing them for a while, I'm beginning to wonder the odds of getting one.  I NEVER saw the most recent MP Prime in stores (was lucky and got one when it was in stock briefly online) and it seems stores get 2 at a time and scalpers grab em instantly.  I work M-F (ie, most likely the only truck/stocking days) so it'll take a miracle to stumble across one.

Great feedback/reviews as usual blandstalker!

Might pick up the Abominus gift set and keep the receipt. That way if I happen across all the individual figs I can return it, but if I can't by the time the return period is up I'll at least have it.

Really hope I run into some of those new IDW Generation figs this week. Soundwave... sigh. I just don't know. Unless shipments ramp up due to demand/they keep producing them for a while, I'm beginning to wonder the odds of getting one. I NEVER saw the most recent MP Prime in stores (was lucky and got one when it was in stock briefly online) and it seems stores get 2 at a time and scalpers grab em instantly. I work M-F (ie, most likely the only truck/stocking days) so it'll take a miracle to stumble across one.
I got a MP Soundwave essentially right when it got off the truck. I was lucky enough to be getting off work at like 9:30am already last Friday (to drive back home from Houston to Baton Rouge), so I was able to make it to the nearby TRU for 10. Most days, like you, I'd have no chance at getting a figure in store.

Got to TRU about five minutes after opening and saw about 5 or 6 disappointed faces walk out so I knew I was too late. They only got two MP Soundwaves in and they had been bought of course. Heard one guy say he had been in line since 7am and had never had to worry about demand like this before. I recognized the other guy who got the second SW, pretty sure I've seen him line up at opening before mainly to rush for Hot Wheels. *sigh* I realize that these are just starting to hit but store exclusives at TRU and Walmarts have always been a headache, just discouraging. Last year I never saw MP Prime in stores, saw TC maybe twice and back when MP Starscream hit I never saw him in store, was lucky enough to order him site to store. Got lucky and had to hit TRU at opening for Grimlock and my wife happened to be off one day and get to TRU at opening for MP Rodimus.

I found an acid storm in the store today, thing  was tied up tight with a spider wrap. Who ever buys it isn't going to be happy with that, it got the Target treatment.

Got the MP Soundwave today from TRU.  They had 3.  I was first, some big guy walked up to wait in front of the doors, and then while we were in line buying a third guy walked up.  This was in Houston, TX.  I'm guessing if your TRU followed release dates then they got them today.  Best of luck to everyone.  

Got the MP Soundwave today from TRU. They had 3. I was first, some big guy walked up to wait in front of the doors, and then while we were in line buying a third guy walked up. This was in Houston, TX. I'm guessing if your TRU followed release dates then they got them today. Best of luck to everyone.
Congrats! I got mine in Houston last Friday.

Stopped by today.  I have no intention of staking out TRU at opening every morning.

They had a shelf tag for Acid Storm, but didn't have any.  I'm assuming they got MP Soundwave too.  I'm also assuming I'll be lucky if I ever see it.

Has anyone stumbled across the Blind Box Transformers figures? The Loyal Subjects ones?

I saw them at my local comic shop and grabbed one. I was hoping for a Soundwave or Starscream, but got a Chase Jazz figure. I would have preferred the normal deco though. 

I haven't seen these in actual stores that much.

I just saw someone in the California sightings forum on TFW2005 show of pics of the Loyal Subjects the found. Sounds like they are more of a comic store or TRU item and not likely to be found at Target or Walmart.

Saw 3-4 MP Acid Storms this afternoon but of course no SW. Cashier told me they got two in the morning and sold right away, one to a guy who had been waiting/camping out most of the morning.

Gone now. Damn. I missed it.
Based on postings on TF forums, it sold out about 5 minutes after I posted. Hope it comes back in for you and others that are looking. Never got the e-mail alert I requested for when it came back in stock, saw it mentioned on another forum.

But, while I can add it to my cart, if I try to checkout it disappears.

I love this.  I really do.  Why do exclusives have to go to such a fuckup of a retailer?

Edit: And, gone again.  Whee!

Found a SW today!  Got a tip from a fellow collector that a local TRU was supposed to get some in, so took the day off and was there at opening.  They actually got in 12 (but limited 1 per person).  There were still ~ 6 left when I left.  If I see any more in the future I'll try and pick some up for peeps looking for them here.

My god, he's amazing.  SW himself is great, but imho the cassette's steal the show.  Some absolutely inspired engineering went into these things.  There's also so many ways to use the various accessories, most of which are beautiful homages to one-off actions SW took in the show/movie... THIS is why I still collect Transformers.

One of my TRUs down here in FL got them. U was lucky enough to get one this morning. They had sold 6 when they opened.

bread's done
Back