10% off disc10
Latest Transformers news:

• Dark of the Moon toyline to be released at retail on May 15, 2011
  • Transformers Prime toyline to be released at retail in October 2011
Latest Transformers figures available at retail now:

• Generations Warpath, Kup, and Scourge
  • Dark of the Moon Preview Pack Cyberverse Optimus Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
On top of the BOGO 50% deal, TRU is also offering a free movie ticket ($7.50 movie money) w/ purchase over $25 through the end of the week.

FYI, today I had trouble getting the BOGO 50% off deal to automatically ring up for the Optimus/Starscream mini-Mr. Potatohead sets. I showed them that the offer was valid on the TRU website, and they manually price-adjusted.

They also raised the price of the Strafe & Slug deluxe Evolutions 2-packs by $2 to $16.99 (so no longer the same price as the regular non-bonus-figure sets). If you pair them up for the BOGO 50% deal, you'll still save ~$4.50 than buying the pair at their original prices w/ no additional promotion/sale.

I  want to get those Mr. Potato heads!  I only saw those 2 so far but I saw on Hasbro website a few others.  Did you open yours yet?  Are the movie tickets only to a specific theater?

Courtesy of slickdeals,

Amazon is having a sale on many Age of Extinction toys, including Leader Prime and Grimlock, Voyager Prime and Grimlock, and assorted others at varying discounts.  Here's a link to Amazon directly.

Prices will appear discounted when you go to Amazon, but they get a bigger discount when you check out.  The Leaders show up as 33.74 and are reduced to 25.30 in cart.

I bought Leader Prime and Crosshairs for $32.04

I want to get those Mr. Potato heads! I only saw those 2 so far but I saw on Hasbro website a few others. Did you open yours yet? Are the movie tickets only to a specific theater?
No, I haven't opened my potatoheads yet, so I can't offer any opinions on those. I will say I personally don't like needing to store the unused pieces separately. I've got the original G1 Opti-mash Prime from years ago and am looking forward to the upcoming Grimlock set.

ai6mofU.jpg

Regarding the movie ticket, It's through the Fandango Rewards Program but prints out a Hollywood Movie Money voucher, so you can use it at any theater that accepts that (almost all major chains) and thankfully don't have to waste any of the balance on Fandango fees b/c it doesn't actually require you to spend it at Fandango's site. As a previously unlisted bonus, the voucher printout also has a $5 coupon for Kre-o, action figure, Playskool Heroes, and Battle Masters purchases of $25+, valid July 15 - Sept. 1. https://www.activaterewards.com/TRUTransformers

The top of the printout is promoting these toys, and I don't think I've seen any mention of the Epic Optimus Prime from the TF/toy sites I read. At first glance, it looks like a much nicer version of the giant "inaction figures" they've been selling, and depending on the price and final quality, I'm inclined to add one to my collection when it comes out.

yFux349.png

Not toy related, but Comixology has an IDW transformers comics sale, basically everything for More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise except for the latest issue, all for a buck.  I figure since a lot of the recent Generations waves are based on these comics, people here might be interested.

Anyone play Rise of the Dark Spark yet? My son has it on pre-order for pick up today. Haven't heard encouraging things and I always want him to spend his money wisely,

Anyone play Rise of the Dark Spark yet? My son has it on pre-order for pick up today. Haven't heard encouraging things and I always want him to spend his money wisely,
I'm pretty sure I saw someone on NeoGaf say it was only 4 hours single player campaign as well...

I gotta ask...

Who is buying the new Kre-O combiners?  I mean Grimstone, Lazerbolt, Obsidian, and Volcanicon.

I can't do it.  They seem on par with previous builds (which is so-so), but that they are completely new "characters" has completely killed my interest.  Why is it I am interested if it is red, orange, and brown and named Computron but uninterested when it's Volcanicon?

I do think the new combiners rely a bit too much on beast molds, which I don't think Kre-O does particularly well.

I was just coming here to post or see if anyone had posted ;)

That looks so freakin' awesome, will take my 6year old for sure...but I also want one for me.
Going with my son! He said I was more excited than him.

Got those 2 mixable mashable potatoe heads optimus and starscream-thanks for telling me that they were buy 1 get one 50%off! The guy helping me price matched the website and saw they were buy 1 get 1 50%off. Can't wait for the others to come out- I collect Mr.potato heads and my son collects transformers.

My store had many optimus prime YOTH figures- so I will be thinking about him-thanks for everybody's advice on that one.

Can anyone steer me in the direction of any good transformers that are coming out from the movie?

Are there any fast food promotions with transformers in the US? I don't see anything.

When does hasbro usually post their sdcc exclusives on their website after the con is over?

That kreo set is awesome.
You wait for days, until the time Hasbro usually puts their stuff up and doesn't. Then you wait some more until you find you missed it hours ago and there's nothing left. Good times!

That said, the Kre-O set is awesome and I would love to have one. If we're lucky, it will be a lower demand item and it will be available for an hour or two.

... Can anyone steer me in the direction of any good transformers that are coming out from the movie?...
I've got everything I want from the available waves so far: Leader Grimlock, deluxe Scorn, Slash, and Slug, as well as deluxe Drift and Crosshairs. I also picked up voyager Prime (Evasion Mode), Galvatron, and Hound.

Of the deluxes, I think the dino bots are the best toys with the most interesting transformations. The cars are pretty standard and have some frustrating panels to click together to form their alt modes. Crosshairs has a sort of trench coat-ish look to his bot mode, but honestly it just looks like lazy engineering. Drift has an interesting samurai-style bot mode, but it makes no sense why he's an Italian sports car and his panels are hard to click in place. I passed on Bumblebee because it looks like he's wearing a sports bra, and also because who really needs another Bumblebee? Scorn is my favorite. His alt mode Spinosaurus is awesome, though the hind quarters are a bit gappy. Slash is a bit to garishly colored, and for that reason looks like he doesn't quite belong, but feathered velociraptor, people, come on! Very cool. Slug's alt mode triceratops is very convincing even though the method of attaching his swords is odd to say the least. I passed on Swoop with his two pteranodon heads because I thought he looked pretty awful in both modes. All dino bots have robot modes that look sorta like classic knights/suits of armor.

Of the voyagers, I think I like Prime the best. His transformation can be a bit tricky with the way his arms wrap around and flip up, but his bot and alt modes are so satisfying that I find very little to complain about here. Hound is pretty great. He has a lot of character in his head mold and his bot body sorta looks like they smashed together Animated Bulkhead and Classics Sgt. Kup. He comes with lots of guns and a knife (seriously, a knife?). The guns can combine in different ways and supposedly store on his bot mode, but it's hard to get them to stay in place. Galvatron is by far the most disappointing and is essentially a shell-former with a collapsible shell backpack in bot mode. There's a lot of molded detail on him but with so few paint apps, he just kinda ends up looking like a cheap knock-off.

I chose leader Grimlock over voyager for two reasons: 1) voyager dino mode looked odd to me, unbalanced and chunky in the wrong places, and 2) I preferred the weaponry on the leader class toy. He looks a little chubby in dino mode because of the way they have his hind legs become his arms and how the robot mode feet sort of tuck away at the dino thighs. But I find his bot mode so much fun and the dino mode body to have such a uniform look overall, that again I have few complaints.

Looking through the cast of characters, I think there are a few missing from these waves that could make cool toys, but I think I've got the best of the bunch so far.

One last warning/piece of free advice, there are two gimmicky lines of deluxe-sized toys you should avoid. The packaging looks enough like a regular deluxe to be confusing. I've had to help out a few lost-looking fellow shoppers. There are quick-changing toys that basically transform is less than ten steps and special "attack" characters that transform with spring loaded ridiculously long arms for punches and stuff. Garbage, all of them.

Hope this has been helpful, happy hunting! :)

My TRU was out of Grimlock the other day.

I really want both the Kre-o exclusive sets (Botcon and SDCC) I doubt I'll be able to get them without having to pay quite the premium. I got last year's Botcon set which is pretty awesome.

What versions of HOUND are they creating?  I actually worked on the real MTV used for the movie so I more want it as a cool display thing.  I don't know transformers that well though (as far as collecting). 

I may take my son to the TRU thing.  What kind of coupons do they give out usually?

Of the deluxes, I think the dino bots are the best toys with the most interesting transformations. The cars are pretty standard and have some frustrating panels to click together to form their alt modes. Crosshairs has a sort of trench coat-ish look to his bot mode, but honestly it just looks like lazy engineering. Drift has an interesting samurai-style bot mode, but it makes no sense why he's an Italian sports car and his panels are hard to click in place. I passed on Bumblebee because it looks like he's wearing a sports bra, and also because who really needs another Bumblebee? Scorn is my favorite. His alt mode Spinosaurus is awesome, though the hind quarters are a bit gappy. Slash is a bit to garishly colored, and for that reason looks like he doesn't quite belong, but feathered velociraptor, people, come on! Very cool. Slug's alt mode triceratops is very convincing even though the method of attaching his swords is odd to say the least. I passed on Swoop with his two pteranodon heads because I thought he looked pretty awful in both modes. All dino bots have robot modes that look sorta like classic knights/suits of armor.
I'll add a couple of things. I think Drift is a neat toy with too little paint in robot mode (car mode, however, looks great, with painted wheel rims and everything). I don't find the panels that hard to click in once you get how they fit together. Unlike, say, ROTF or DOTM panelmasters, there are tabs and it does lock in and hold if you do it right. This ain't no Mudflap. The only really disappointing thing is that the robot has so much detail that gets lost in a sea of blue. The face also looks like a smudge of paint. It is really amazing that it looks so good as a car, but the robot looks like it comes straight from Big Lots.

I like Scorn, but I'm a little disappointed that the tail arm didn't come with a hand, especially since they went the extra mile not to give him a stupid head hand. Swoop is...not terrible, but it's a real shame -- just by changing a few things here and there, it could have been so much better. I don't understand why the peg holes on the wings are raised, since there would be so many more wing poses were they not in the way. The robot mode is clearly the star here, and it looks good. It's just not a great Transformer or dinosaur.

Oh, if you look at it in the store/package, it is mistransformed. It looks so much better when its right, and the difference was dramatic. It's why I finally bit the bullet on Crosshairs.

One last warning/piece of free advice, there are two gimmicky lines of deluxe-sized toys you should avoid. The packaging looks enough like a regular deluxe to be confusing. I've had to help out a few lost-looking fellow shoppers. There are quick-changing toys that basically transform is less than ten steps and special "attack" characters that transform with spring loaded ridiculously long arms for punches and stuff. Garbage, all of them.
These are doubly terrible because they look so very close to the regular toys. It doesn't help that the stores are not very good about differentiating them, either. TRU is the worst -- at several stores I've been at, they're all mixed together on a couple of pegs.

It does look that not many people are buying them, though. Deluxes seem to be selling well. The rest, including those bizarre toys that look like big snots, don't seem to be moving much.

^Swoop is indeed soooo close to great, but just short.  Insanely stupid that the hands can't fold up into the arms, which have a hollow area THE CORRECT SIZE FOR THE HANDS! (I've seen a mod where someone cut off part of the back of the fore arm, and the hand fits perfectly).  That and I wish the legs folded up more, as they look pretty crappy in any pose I can get him in for beast mode, but his bot mode is friggin great (accept, again, for the hands where I can't get very good crossbow poses).

And yeah, I bought a few of the random "simple" figure lines (online discounts) and they're universally bad.  Different degrees depending on the fig, but none worth the money.  Scorn is by far the worst offender, with a crappy gimmick that doesn't work, a bad bot mode, and a beast mode that won't even form the spines correctly because the entire piece is some of the softest rubberized bullshit material I've ever seen.  That and it's GREASY.  Like seriously, I washed my hands after opening it...

FYI, the Revoltech Convoy/Optimus Prime is being re-issued in September. It can be found at your favorite import website, but here's AmiAmi's listing (3540 yen): http://bit.ly/1nR39uU

9dbleSj.jpg

I ordered one and assuming no delays/early releases, it should ship along with my Convoy Pen-former (also scheduled for Sept release).

So I was hoping to get quick opinion from the group here. I'm looking to get an MP soundwave and since I missed the TRU that had all the cassettes I was trying to figure out if I should get a Takara and the tapes separately. It looks like the TRU one is the better deal overall but I didn't know if that version of Soundwave was substantially inferior to the Takara one.

I seem to recall hearing about some QC issues with some of the leg assembly parts, but I've transformed my TRU MP SW more times than all my other MP's combined (I just fucking love the thing, including the tapes.  Very real possibility he's my fave TF I own) and never had an issue. 

Don't know what the aftermarket prices are currently, but it always boggled my mind how much Tak MP SW + separate tapes was at the time, in comparison.  I'd buy a US MP Soundblaster in a heartbeat if it came with Ratbat though... sucks there's no easy way to just get Ratbat and complete the released tapes.

My son picked up leader Grimlock for his birthday. Had target price match Walmart, used cartwheel and red card and it came to $28.94 before tax. For myself I picked up the target exclusive silver knight Optimus with FoC Grimlock repaint. I never picked up FoC Grimlock mold. I always had mild interest but never picked it up because everyone said it was kind of weak in general, which now that I have it I agree, but he looks pretty damn sweet in g1 colors

Wait is the TRU BOGOH in store? Is it over? I just saw two MP Grimlocks next to each other.
How is it that people keep seeing MP Grimlock? I've been calling 5-6 stores and all of them are either sold out, haven't gotten any in, or lying.

And I completely forgot about the B1G1H. Bah!!

How is it that people keep seeing MP Grimlock? I've been calling 5-6 stores and all of them are either sold out, haven't gotten any in, or lying.
TRU is horrible, even the good employees are frustrated by a useless inventory system, distribution and inventory sucks, and TRU and Hasbro just don't care about Masterpiece products. It is the same black hole of suck every year.

Short review of Hound.

Pretty good, but Hasbro's cheapness is back. Quality of materials does not feel as good as Evasion Prime. Plastic feels lighter and softer. No painted wheel rims (aw, come on! -- you did it on Drift!).

The biggest downside to Hound is lack of paint and monochrome. Hound is very, very green. His weapons are very, very grey. There is almost no painted detail in vehicle mode, so without the weapons it looks silly. The knife is silvery and nice, but the weapons are all boring grey. Molded detail is awesome; too bad there's nothing to really bring it out. Robot mode fares better because there's some silver paint and grey plastic is used for some limbs and parts (which would have done wonders for Drift).

Hound's transformation is pretty good. Intuitive, easy without being pointless, and full of some nice details. The truck mode, even though it is a giant brick, feels finished in a way that Hasbro doesn't often do anymore on their non-car models. All of the panels have tabs and seal up, kind of like Drift. I'm actually kind of impressed, because they could have made it gappy and tried to cover it with weapons.

Hound's robot mode is actually really nice. Well proportioned and very little kibble, he is poseable and imposing. I love that there are logical spots for all his weapons, or you can combine them to form one massive weapon. In this case, I think it's better when he is all decked out with multple weapons instead of one big one, but the ability to choose is appreciated. He feels like he is missing a little heft for his size; however, he weighs more than Evasion Prime and that's not counting the crapton of weapons.

A downside is that some of the weapons don't hold very well in vehicle mode. In a mystifying design decision, the weapons have plenty of posts, holes, plugs, and slots, but the vehicle mode has only one way of putting them on, and at least on one side of mine, they don't stay on. A peg prevents them from going flush, which means every time I touch Hound on that side, the weapons fall off. That side is pretty much a disaster -- two other guns are supposed to be mounted beneath, but they scrape against the floor. I have them mounted in the front of the cab like smokestacks.

This continues in robot mode. Hound can store his dual pistols in his ankles, which is great. Unfortunately, it's on a small little tab and touching the gun in any way will cause it to dislodge and fall out. Not so great.

Hound is close to greatness, with some really wonderful features. They clearly put a lot of thought into the weapons and it's so unfortunate that did not extend to actually putting them on the figure in a solid way. If they had, it would have been a home run.

^Swoop is indeed soooo close to great, but just short. Insanely stupid that the hands can't fold up into the arms, which have a hollow area THE CORRECT SIZE FOR THE HANDS! (I've seen a mod where someone cut off part of the back of the fore arm, and the hand fits perfectly). That and I wish the legs folded up more, as they look pretty crappy in any pose I can get him in for beast mode, but his bot mode is friggin great (accept, again, for the hands where I can't get very good crossbow poses).

When you say swoop do you mean the little toy that comes with strafe?Thanks for everyone's reviews and opinions- very helpful- hound looks good.

^Swoop is indeed soooo close to great, but just short. Insanely stupid that the hands can't fold up into the arms, which have a hollow area THE CORRECT SIZE FOR THE HANDS! (I've seen a mod where someone cut off part of the back of the fore arm, and the hand fits perfectly). That and I wish the legs folded up more, as they look pretty crappy in any pose I can get him in for beast mode, but his bot mode is friggin great (accept, again, for the hands where I can't get very good crossbow poses).

When you say swoop do you mean the little toy that comes with strafe?Thanks for everyone's reviews and opinions- very helpful- hound looks good.
No, we mean Strafe...whatever the big Dinobot who should be named Swoop is named. I'm not sure if Hasbro lost the trademarks, can't get them back, or just changed most of the Dinobot names to be contrary.

Swafe is the big blue guy with two heads who, for whatever reason, doesn't have hands that fold in, even though it is extremely stupid that they don't. I still don't get that one.

Can't find a MP Grimlock...any chance anyone here has one for sale?  I saw one on eBay for $120 that I'm about to pull the trigger on.

Short review of Crosshairs:  Ugh.  Only for people who love cars or frustration.  Better than it looks, but worse than it should be.

On the one hand, Crosshairs has a great car mode and a unique robot mode.  That said, Crosshairs is packed so closely that getting it into car mode is frustration, and robot mode is full of kibble.

The good news is that it, on the whole, looks much better once out of the package.  The major disappointment is that the color is nothing like what's on the packaging, which is a metallic emerald green.  The real toy is much brighter and not metallic.  Again it is a case of give and take -- the paint and plastic matching is excellent, and there's actually a ton of paint on this toy.  Too bad that most of the paint is the same boring green as the car.  Once again, the robot looks like it comes from Big Lots.

Where do I start?  I guess the car.  It's a nice looking car.  Apart from not being metallic, the green works and the racing stripes are okay.  They add some interest, although they also make it look more toy-like because they have no depth.  Overall, though, it's appealing and the car looks just shy of great.  Wheel rims are painted.

Unfortunately, the wheels suck.  The car won't roll on a hard surface because the wheels are too wobbly.  It does roll on carpet.

Transformation to robot mode is mostly good, although the panels are kind of lazy.  Because they decided to go for the overcoat look, they get out of the way mostly, but they just hang there.  Even Drift made much more of an effort to fold them away.  Better hinges or more of them would have made this much better.

The good news is that the robot looks much better than the packaging would indicate.  He really does have shoulders and a good range of movement.  Even though there is a lot of kibble, it doesn't impede movement too much.  Unfortunately, even though there's a lot of paint, it looks like a knock-off.  The face looks like Drift -- a blob of paint that obscures details.  There are some accent colors, but there's also a lot of areas that have detail but are boring and monochrome.  The arms stand out as particularly bland and bad.

The soft plastic flaps in the front sort of work.  One tabs in easily.  The other, not so much, and dislodges if you look at it funny.  The whole effect reminds me of the movie Beastmaster, with those skin-flappy vampire things.  I don't think that's what they were going for...

It's going back to car mode where this toy falls apart.  Literally.  The left arm frequently pops out.  (I've no idea why the left arm and not the right).  Trying to get all the panels into place is an exercise in frustration, as aligning one will push another out of place.  It is so frustrating because it seems to be in reach, and then it just refuses to work.  I gave up on trying to store the pistols in the car.  There is just too much stuff trying to be crammed into a small space and it doesn't work.

I did get it, finally.  Following the order of the instructions seems to help, though I don't know why.  I can't tell why the toy is so obstinate, which is one of the reasons I find this toy so difficult.  Good transformers lead you to their transformation.  They fit or fall into place or feel natural.  With Crosshairs, you can tell what you're supposed to do, but you can't get there easily.  I've stared, repositioned, massaged, and none of it works. 

This is not as pointless an exercise in futility and confusion as Mudflap, but it's easily one of the most frustrating toys since.  I feel like I could crack the code, but it makes me want to break it in half or throw it.  It's a shame, because I kind of want to like it, but it is not elegant or friendly.  I consider that a design failure.

FYI, the Revoltech Convoy/Optimus Prime is being re-issued in September. It can be found at your favorite import website, but here's AmiAmi's listing (3540 yen): http://bit.ly/1nR39uU

9dbleSj.jpg

I ordered one and assuming no delays/early releases, it should ship along with my Convoy Pen-former (also scheduled for Sept release).
I actually had this when it first came out years ago (and a hell of a lot cheaper--I recall paying maybe $25, definitely no more than $30) and it was a great figure. But I brought him to a temp job I was hoping to turn into a long-term gig and had him on my desk, but they laid me off and I had to come back for my stuff the next day in a box.

In said box was Prime here, and... his head had snapped off, not to be found inside the box they gave me.

I hung on to the figure, thinking maybe one day I could replace the head somehow if I found somewhere online that had spare parts or something, but unfortunately not the case.

Now it looks like not only do I have to buy a new one, but pay a significant markup for it. :-({|=

So at this point is it safe to say that MP Grimlock is gone from shelves forever? Never saw them in Memphis.
I'd say it's probably gone at this point. Prowl and Sunstorm, are supposed to be released pretty soon.

Well I thought it was a lost cause but was able to score what is likely the last YOTH Prime in Nor Cal. Got it at sale price plus 20% off at that, came to $71.98.

I'd say it's probably gone at this point. Prowl and Sunstorm, are supposed to be released pretty soon.

Well I thought it was a lost cause but was able to score what is likely the last YOTH Prime in Nor Cal. Got it at sale price plus 20% off at that, came to $71.98.
How did you get the 20% off I just bought mine for the sale price-but if I can get more off I would go back and get price adjusted. Thanks

The cashier just told me he was doing it and I didn't ask why. The box was beat to hell but I don't care about that. He did scan my rewards card so maybe it was linked to that

Short review of Voyager Grimlock:

I was on the fence with Voyager Grimlock, since I wasn't wild about the look of the toy.  I had heard it was fun, though, and I have enjoyed most of the other AoE Dinobots.  Plus, Amazon sold it for $14.

Voyager Grimlock is fun.  It looks great in robot mode, and while my brain tells me that dinosaur mode shouldn't work, it just does, somehow.   Transformation is different than your standard Grimlock and interesting.  It's simplistic, but at the same time it's clever and the result looks better than it has any right to.  Color and plastic choices are smart.  There isn't a ton of paint on the toy, but the design and the plastic choices hide that well.

The only real letdown is the weapon.  It looks good, but it's kind of boring and there was no attempt to integrate it in dinosaur mode. 

Still, overall it is worthwhile.  Apart from the weapon, the toy does not feel cheap at all and is a worthy addition to the dinobots.

Longer review of Leader Prime:

Leader Prime is such a mixed bag.  The way the legs form the cab is brilliant.  Masterpiece quality. 

Everything else, though, is cheap city.  I have never seen a lighter Leader with such few features.

The Good:

The truck is very nice looking.  It has the appearance of a panelmaster with none of the frustration.  Unless you turn it over, there are no visible robot bits or even many clues this is a Transformer.  The wheels do not have painted rims, but they are made of two colors of plastic.  Also, the black plastic is softer, giving them the feel of rubber wheels. 

I like the chrome.  I think it is not overdone, and not too cheap looking.  The painted flames look nice on the truck and there are some details in robot mode.

The robot mode is substantial without being cluttered.  Optimus is imposing and carries over some details from the rest of this line, such as the samurai skirt, though thankfully not the pointy elf shoes.  It's a good look for Prime.  It is clearly a movie toy, but it doesn't feel like it's trying so hard to be explodey or cluttered or a mess of robot parts like so many other Bayformers.  Plenty of articulation and poseability.

The legs/cab is particularly well done.  There's a spring-loaded part that is just brilliant.  While the legs are big, they are not kibbly and they look good and are poseable.   This part of the toy is very finished, looks great in both modes, and is terrific.  It also feels like it was designed by someone other than the rest of the toy.

The Bad

Where do I start with the cheapness?  The worst offender is the trailer.  This part of the toy reminds me of the really cheap, shitty toys that someone would get for you at Big Lots.  Turn it over and you know why it's $1.99.  It's awful.  Monochromatic blue and flimsy.  It is so flimsy that it bends -- I thought it was something that transformed, but no -- it moves because it's so lightweight.  I don't see any stressmarks, but I am afraid this will break before too long.  It is utterly unlike what I have come to expect from Transformers.

The trailer looks like the designers just gave up in the middle of the model.  It is largely one hunk of plastic.  A few rods and swivels and the size of the backpack could have been halved, but no one cared. 

It's then that I realized -- this is a Leader class toy.  No electronics.  No gimmicks.  No cool features.  Cheap, boring weapons.  Where did all the awesome go?

Now, I hate electronics and gimmicks.  They increase cost and size for things I just don't care about.  Gimmicks can be hit or miss.  However, all of these things have been taken out of this toy and it is still lightweight, cheap, and underwhelming.

The top of the truck cab splits into panels that become shoulderpads.  This is not a bad idea, but it is awkward to place them since they don't have enough range of motion.  They just don't go exactly where you want them.  They are also devoid of paint and look boring.  Similarly, the samurai skirt, formed by the side panels of the truck, is attached to the trailer, which means it doesn't stick and doesn't stay with Optimus' body in different poses.  Turning his waist either looks incredibly stupid or can't be done because the panels obstruct the motion. Speaking of the waist, the codpiece is a boring hunk of unpainted blue plastic.  It also gets in the way.

The extra chrome in robot mode looks good, but also highlights how boring the grey plastic is.  It's at least a little shiny silver and not completely dull.  Colors are kind of a mess, though.  You have muted red, shiny red, matte blue, glossy blue, shiny blue, and it just doesn't seem to cohere.

Arms have decent articulation, but they aren't as poseable as you might think.  They also look a bit small.

The accessories are horrible.  They are hunks of plastic that do nothing.  This is a Leader class toy!  And it has a moderately cool sword and an incredibly boring shield-gun-thing that is one piece with some half-hearted paint.  All that creativity with Hound's weapons?  Gone.  The shield-gun-thing is so lazy that it's offensive.

And that's where we end up:  half of this toy is brilliant, and half is underwhelming and disappointing.  It has some parts that transform in elegant ways that are just great design, guiding you to the right moves without being obvious.  It is a shellformer/panelmaster that looks good and is not aggravating.

And then, the other half of the toy is so cheap and lazy that you'll probably be disgusted.   I am astonished that this is a Leader class toy -- Hasbro's flagship Optimus Prime -- and it's chintzy, lazy, and cheap.   I would be outraged if I paid MSRP. 

bread's done
Back