10% off disc10
Latest Transformers news:

• Dark of the Moon toyline to be released at retail on May 15, 2011
  • Transformers Prime toyline to be released at retail in October 2011
Latest Transformers figures available at retail now:

• Generations Warpath, Kup, and Scourge
  • Dark of the Moon Preview Pack Cyberverse Optimus Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been debating on WheelJack or Prowl. I personally like Prowl's look better, but they both look great in my view.

Hoping a KO Wheeljack shows up online soon :p Have KO MP Prown, Smokescreen, and Sideswipe, and all three are excellent. Don't like the feet design of the Datsun cars so no plans to get Bluestreak, but seriously considering getting a KO Red Alert. I'll hold off on Tigertracks in the hopes of a "real" Sunstreaker at some point.
I bought a few KO's and most have been rock solid. The Bluestreak/Silverstreak, Sunstreak, Red Alert, and Prowl. The Prowl is the only one I did not like. Looks nice and poses OK, but the joints are very loose and the gun doesn't hold well in his hand. The Bluestreak/Silverstreak KO is better than most of anything else I have.

I am making up for lost time. I'll tell you that my wife isn't too happy so any home project she wants to start (and not complete), I am just keeping my mouth shut. I still have MP10 Optimus reissue, MP bumblebee, MP Ultra Magnus pre ordered on BBTS. I offered to give her my log in info so she can keep me in check
I've followed this thread almost from the beginning since I recently decided to collect G1 TFs, specifically the Masterpiece line. And like tukai, I'm making up for lost time. I just preordered the Optimus Prime reissue, MP Bumblee, MP Ultra Magnus, MP Red Alert, and MP Exhaust through TF Source. I bought the MP, Hasbro version of Sunstorm, Acidstorm, and Prowl. The Takara MP Smokescreen, Blue Streak, and Wheeljack should arrive tomorrow via FedEx from TF Source. Hasbro MP Soundwave & Grimlock should arrive sometime next week.

And I'm currently contemplating whether to pull the trigger on Thundercracker and Skywarp, both Hasbro MPs, and Metroplex Titan Class. My gf is supportive but thinks I'm still a kid :baby: :rofl: !!

On a non-TF related info, I also bought a complete Matchbox Voltron 1 (Voltron Vehicle Force) from a local vintage toy/comic shop. I'll try to take a pic of the whole loot once I get them all.

Yeah, the wallet took a major hit. I'm on a nostalgia tear this past week!!

RIght now the rest of the year is mapped out with MP Ultra Magnus, MP Bumblebee and the Optimus re-issue. I think next year I will slow it down unles HasTak goes hard in putting out combiners. I want a nice remake of Computron, Devastator, and Abominus. I had those 3 growing up. I believe Superion has been announced for 2015 also.

RIght now the rest of the year is mapped out with MP Ultra Magnus, MP Bumblebee and the Optimus re-issue. I think next year I will slow it down unles HasTak goes hard in putting out combiners. I want a nice remake of Computron, Devastator, and Abominus. I had those 3 growing up. I believe Superion has been announced for 2015 also.
Besides the MP line, what other lines closely resemble the G1's? There's so many and most of them are garbage, in my opinion. And what's a good place to find more info on upcoming TFs?

Thanks in advance.

Your best source for all things TF news related is TFW2005.com.

A couple others that are fairly decent are Seibertron.com and allspark.com.

Besides the MP line, what other lines closely resemble the G1's? There's so many and most of them are garbage, in my opinion.
Generations and Classics. These are not absolute, though.

Both Generations and Classics occasionally have molds that are recycled from other lines, to represent a character. In general, I don't collect these. They can also have some side-lines, like the Fall of Cybertron molds, which you may or may not be interested in.

Also, there have been lines which had Generations of Classics toys that (for whatever marketing reasons) weren't called that. The prime example of these are Reveal the Shield and Hunt for the Decepticons. These included some great molds, like Turbo Tracks, Jazz, Perceptor, Seaspray, Laser Prime, Wreck-Gar, and many others that were essentially Classics.

This is a great place to start. There are many, many good updates of characters and it's worth checking them out.

I think some of the Thrilling 30 are great. They have a modern looks but you can clearly see a resemblance to the old toys. Springer and Blitzwing come to mind. Springer is great. Blitzwing looks great in it's tank and plane mode, but I really hated transformering that thing. If I ever put a sledgehammer to my toys, he's going down 1st.

What's everyone's opinion on Kronos by Daca Toys?  I was close to buying Generations Jetfire by Hasbro but the scaling kinda put me off next to the MPs.  The price is definitely better than Kronos.  I've also heard of QC issues.  

Kronos is plagued with QC problems, most notably the ankles which break easily.  Apparently there are replacement parts out there that retailers should be able to get.  Also, the ratcheting legs are really tight... in general, I'm pretty afraid to transform him, and it's not because of complexity.

Kronos is plagued with QC problems, most notably the ankles which break easily. Apparently there are replacement parts out there that retailers should be able to get. Also, the ratcheting legs are really tight... in general, I'm pretty afraid to transform him, and it's not because of complexity.
What's everyone's opinion regarding 3rd Party MP figures? It seems like most have QC problems considering they command top dollars to purchase. I may stick with Hasbro/Takara for now, but curious on other's experiences.

Well, they're usually complex designs and pretty big/heavy, so there are bound to be problems.  Even Kronos, which is a pretty easy transformation, is very complex, gigantic, and put out by a new company.

Fanstoys Quakewave/Shockwave is like the cream of the crop, but I think your chance of getting it for a decent price is pretty small right now.  Their followup, Scoria/Slag, has had reports of issues but mine is good... most of the issues seem to be with the sheer weight of the figure and the joints.  MMC's Hexatron is also really sturdy, though whether it fits in with MPs is debatable.

If you follow the reviews, and keep track of the companies, you can see how reliable some are.  I certainly wouldn't shy away from them like their bootlegs or anything, a lot of them are great, just expensive.

What's everyone's opinion regarding 3rd Party MP figures? It seems like most have QC problems considering they command top dollars to purchase. I may stick with Hasbro/Takara for now, but curious on other's experiences.
I have been very impressed with FansProject. Their stuff is usually impeccably designed and built. They have ambitious designs, but they're usually backed up by solid engineering. I have never felt like their stuff will break. The worst I've seen was Drag Strip off their not-Menasor, which has some pieces which want to pop off their ball joints. That's par for the course with Hasbro, but it speaks to how well FansProject usually does things that I think it's surprising from them.

Their not-Headmasters are amazing and worth every cent. Their not-Brainstorm...well, let's say Hasbro has a lot to live up to. And yeah, Hasbro's toy will cost a lot less. We'll see how that one will go.

I have TFC Hercules. That one is an interesting one. It had faults...which the company fixed. That, to me, is a great sign. They recognized the problem and made sure fixes got out to customers. But you had to apply some DIY cures. The mess with the Hercules legs never should have happened, and it was a difficult and terrifying fix on mine. That said, their stuff is otherwise solid. Hasbro toys used to feel like this. That said, for as much as it cost, it ought to feel frickin' great.

I have Toyworld's Hegemon, which had a split plastic part. Their quality of materials just doesn't feel as high to me. I don't intend on getting anything more from them. Hegemon had a nice design, but the defect really dampened my enthusiasm.

I have Perfect Effect's not-Reflector and not-Arcee (motorcycle). Also high quality. No complaints, and it feels solid. PE seems to go for lots of little pieces and doo-dads, which is not really my thing.

HasbroToyShop.com is having a sale: 20% off + free shipping with the code FAMILY2014

Works on Transformers.  As of this posting, Voyagers Drift, Hound, Galvatron, Sky-Byte, Springer, Sandstorm, Rhinox, Doubledealer, Blitzwing and Deluxes Waspinator, Skids, Jhiaxus, Crosscut, and Nightbeat are in stock.

Pretty much the only things out of stock are Rattrap, Windblade, and Deluxe Lockdown.

Oh yeah -- they have Leader Jetfire!

I picked up Voyager Drift and Leader Jetfire for $60.

Thanks for posting-I got jetfire, waspinator, and skids for my son -early holiday shopping! Hope my husband doesn't get mad when he sees bill. I hope me son likes these. Waspinator is more for me because I think he looks cool. I also got sky-byte and roadbuster at target today I used cartwheel coupon 30% off- was there some other coupon besides cartwheel to use as well? I saw in the paper but I don't think it was for voyagers.

So I bought the initial MP Prime years and years ago and started getting MP figures again lately. I noticed that Sunstorm and Prowl are all plastic. Are the Takara versions the same? I'm not sure if it's a real reflection of the quality but they certainly feel cheaper. Considering they hold price I was wondering if getting the Takara versions would feel more worthwhile.

So I bought the initial MP Prime years and years ago and started getting MP figures again lately. I noticed that Sunstorm and Prowl are all plastic. Are the Takara versions the same? I'm not sure if it's a real reflection of the quality but they certainly feel cheaper. Considering they hold price I was wondering if getting the Takara versions would feel more worthwhile.
My KO MP Prowl is exactly like the Tak version and it's all plastic. I own MP sideswipe, KO Silverstreak, Wheeljack, red alert, Prowl, & Tigerclaw. MP Sideswipe has paint flaws, but all of the KO's have no paint issues. I don't see the value in the MP of the ones I mentioned except Wheeljack.

I also own the KO Rumble/Frenzy/Ravage and Buzzsaw and no issues with any of them. I thought they were too small to justify the pricetag. They transformer great and fit in Soundwave perfectly.

Just saw BBTS is now taking preorders on TF MP 30th Anniversary Megatron!  Not sure if anyone is jumping on it for $200!

Saw the BBTS announcement on Facebook and the consensus is that we need a new MP Megatron, in scale with MP 10.

We need a KO MP Ratbat. Not gonna buy MP SoundBlaster just for Ratbat

We need a KO MP Ratbat. Not gonna buy MP SoundBlaster just for Ratbat
I've been tempted, but can't pull the trigger on that price. Though I'm also hoping they make MP Overkill, Slugfest, Beastbox and Squawktalk and bring Soundblaster + 5 cassettes to the US. :D

Does anyone have the WalMart exclusive MP Starscream?  I'd like to know if the one I just won on Ebay is actually Brand New and MISB.  The figure itself looks "dirty" and "worn".  But I was told it's the way it was painted and showed a few reference pics.  Can someone confirm?  

Thanks in advance!  

And yeah, I hope they do an MP Blaster!

Hugoboss:  That's how it's supposed to look.  It has a black wash applied that really brings out all the small line detailing, but at the same time gives the whole thing a slightly... dirty look.  I personally love black washes because you'd be amazed the details some of these figs have that just aren't evident through the regular molded plastic, though it can be done in such a way that it doesn't leave everything "dirty".  But don't worry, sounds like your Starscream is legit (pics to confirm?)

Hugoboss: That's how it's supposed to look. It has a black wash applied that really brings out all the small line detailing, but at the same time gives the whole thing a slightly... dirty look. I personally love black washes because you'd be amazed the details some of these figs have that just aren't evident through the regular molded plastic, though it can be done in such a way that it doesn't leave everything "dirty". But don't worry, sounds like your Starscream is legit (pics to confirm?)
Thanks for the confirmation Zmonkay! Here are some phone camera quality pics:

http://i.imgur.com/ni7069E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EP0sYav.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CLYzzjB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/l6xIBBq.jpg

Let me know what you think and thanks again!

Spotted this Leader (maybe?) class Bumblebee at Costco today. He's roughly ten inches tall and looks similar to the Human Alliance figure but slightly larger. Sorry about image orientation, first time posting from phone.

EDIT: Did a little research. This s the same figure Amazon has listed at $40. For any one interested, he is slightly mis-transformed in the packaging; to allow for safer shipping I presume. There's more detail to his shoulders and chest area as well as some backpack bits and leg refinements to be had, if the images I found online are any indication. I'm going to check another Costco near my office later today and see if they have any other figures.

Not that anyone has asked for it, but here's my review of Transformers Generations Leader Class Age of Extinction Bumblebee:

So first off, I would not pay more than the ~$26 I got him for at Costco. My initial assessment that he had a lot of the same features as the Human Alliance Bee was correct. Now that I've got him out of the package, he is a little over 10" tall and roughly the same size as the Human Alliance toy I keep referring too. (I'm using that as reference as it's the biggest, most detailed Bee I've got.) The hands, forearms and gun arm are all the same as HA Bee, as well parts of the feet and the thigh panels and trunk/back-end bits. But he's got a lot of new stuff too. He's significantly lighter than HA Bee, having lost the extra weapons and seats for the human figures. The feet are more detailed with more movie-accurate heels and the torso molding matches the movie character a bit more now too. He's got new shoulder panels and front wheels since the transformation was re-engineered from the HA version. He still has his flip down battle visor, but now you can adjust the forearm panels in an undocumented feature to make stabbing gauntlets.

Holy crap is this guy missing paint. First off, the yellow plastic for much of the car and body bits isn't so much yellow as an orange-yellow; with more orange than yellow. He looks more like Alyssa Milano's car from "Who's the Boss" (dating myself and making obscure reference). There's a lot of black plastic here too. It's a shame because there is a lot of sculpted detail that just gets lost in the bland black and orange-yellow plastic. They made some effort to match his few orange-yellow paint apps to the plastic color, but it's still a few shades off. Total lack of any silver or chrome details except for the silver paint on the headlights. Compared to the photo on the back of the box, he also missing paint on his feet, limbs, and chest piece.

Getting passed all of that, he's actually quite a bit of fun to transform and play with. His transformation is a lot less fiddley than the HA Bee and actually has a couple clever bits. The car actually rolls without scraping a bunch of robot kibble on the undercarriage. The ratchets in his hips and knees allow him to stand in a variety of poses that the HA version is just too top heavy to perform without some support. I like the new feet, they provide a wider, more stable platform to support the weight of the rest of him. I would have liked to get a second hand on him instead of the gun, or maybe a better articulated hand than the one we do get, but whatever.

If you need a larger Bumblebee for your collection, you could do a lot worse than this one for around $26, especially since he's $40 on Amazon. Just be prepared to maybe take a couple Gundam Markers or Gold and Silver Sharpies to him to spruce him up a bit.

My son picked up Rattrap and Rhinox lately and now is interested in the Beast Wars line.  Question:  Did Waspinator release earlier this year and we just didn't see it?  I've seen Dreadwing, Goldfire, and I think Skids too, but I don't remember seeing Waspinator.  We're trying to figure out whether to wait for it to show up in store or just order online somewhere. 

Thanks for any info.

My son picked up Rattrap and Rhinox lately and now is interested in the Beast Wars line. Question: Did Waspinator release earlier this year and we just didn't see it? I've seen Dreadwing, Goldfire, and I think Skids too, but I don't remember seeing Waspinator. We're trying to figure out whether to wait for it to show up in store or just order online somewhere.

Thanks for any info.
Waspinator did show up in many places, but I personally never saw it. In some places, it was maybe a case per store and never restocked, meaning it was very easy to miss.

It is (or was recently) available on HasbroToyShop.com. Also, I was at a small action figure shop a few weeks ago, and they had plenty of Waspinator, Skids, and all the new guys.

I have not seen it at Target, but the only new stock I've seen at Target recently has been Voyagers.

I think it's a pretty good bet that Waspinator will reship to stores, but if you want to be sure, you can get it online and it should not cost the ridiculous prices it was getting a month ago.

Thanks for the confirmation Zmonkay! Here are some phone camera quality pics:

http://i.imgur.com/ni7069E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EP0sYav.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CLYzzjB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/l6xIBBq.jpg

Let me know what you think and thanks again!
As far as I can tell from pics looks totally legit. Nice pick up!

and demonchylde, isn't that a re-release of Leader Class B from... I forget which previous movie. I remember not being too overly impressed with it at the time though.

and demonchylde, isn't that a re-release of Leader Class B from... I forget which previous movie. I remember not being too overly impressed with it at the time though.
I did a quick search, since I didn't know the answer to this question. It turns out this mold looks exactly like MechTech Leader Class Bumblebee from Dark of the Moon, but without the crappy mech-tech gimmick. Essentially the same MSRP though, so there's that. :)

And for what it's worth, 180husher, I stumbled across Waspinator at a Target a month or so ago and happened upon Ratrap just the other day, at a different Target. (Unless I'm missing something, Ratrap didn't even appear in the comic book packed in with his figure.)

i have the predaking and the bruticus/grimlock figures.  i have an extra predaking if you are interested.  i love them.  sitting right next to my anime colored devastator

Predaking is great.  I have a G1 Predaking, but it's also very nice to have the all-metal, pristine Platinum version.  I would not spend too much on Predaking, as there is a glut of them.  There's no guarantee it will be half price again, but it's also probably not going to skyrocket in value.

Unless you need the Grimlock, you can get a set of the Takara Japanese Bruticus figures for less than the cost of the Platinum set.  Their paint job is even better.

Just saw BBTS is now taking preorders on TF MP 30th Anniversary Megatron! Not sure if anyone is jumping on it for $200!
I thought about it.... I really wish they would redesign that figure, I don't like his robot mode. I was also thinking about getting some of those Dinobot figures (also 200). I don't tihnk Hasbro will make more Masterpiece Dinobots.

I think I might skip Megatron and pick up Ultra Magnus and Star Saber. Or I might just buy every damn thing.

I thought about it.... I really wish they would redesign that figure, I don't like his robot mode. I was also thinking about getting some of those Dinobot figures (also 200). I don't tihnk Hasbro will make more Masterpiece Dinobots.

I think I might skip Megatron and pick up Ultra Magnus and Star Saber. Or I might just buy every damn thing.
Yeah, I've pretty much preordered every single ones, sans Megatron. But since I don't have him yet, I MAY cop one. We'll see...

Predaking is great. I have a G1 Predaking, but it's also very nice to have the all-metal, pristine Platinum version. I would not spend too much on Predaking, as there is a glut of them. There's no guarantee it will be half price again, but it's also probably not going to skyrocket in value.

Unless you need the Grimlock, you can get a set of the Takara Japanese Bruticus figures for less than the cost of the Platinum set. Their paint job is even better.
Does Predaking scale "well" with MPs? I know they're two different lines.

Megatron is my favorite MP after Soundwave, and one of my fave TF's ever.  Fiddly as hell and waaaay over-engineered.  In other words exactly what I'm looking for in a TF :D  Only downside is its fragile to the point that if you look at it wrong a small clip will break off somewhere, but at least the clips that broke on mine don't keep him from tabbing in nicely in either mode.

I like him simply because he is Megatron and an MP but otherwise he's pretty much blah. When the re-release was announced a couple weeks ago it just renewed fandom's called for an updated mold. Ever since the superior MP 10 mold was released everyone has pretty much assumed we'd get a new Megs too. Nothing beyond Bumblebee, Ultra Magnus (which are next month I believe) and Star Saber (I know I am in the minority but I don't care about this one) have been announced so maybe we'll get some new info at Toy Fair.

Out of nowhere today a co worker gave me some older transformers. He was cleaning his attic for a move and knew I was a collector. I could not believe what he gave me. He said I had to either take it, or they go to Goodwill. 

1) G1 Jetfire - The box is beat up, but the toy itself is mint. It has no yellowing at all, joints are tight and it has all of the attachments, instructions and get this, the stickers were never applied. 

2) G1 Starscream - Box, toy is mint, all attachments, and instructions.

When I got home, my jaw dropped at the quality the toys were in. I have not seen a Jetfire in this condition since I was a kid and it was brand new.

Holy crap congrats tukai!  Best co-worker ever!

And about TFCon, despite being really close, I've already got plans so won't be attending.  Never actually been to any con.  Maybe one day...

bread's done
Back