10% off disc10
Latest Transformers news:

• Dark of the Moon toyline to be released at retail on May 15, 2011
  • Transformers Prime toyline to be released at retail in October 2011
Latest Transformers figures available at retail now:

• Generations Warpath, Kup, and Scourge
  • Dark of the Moon Preview Pack Cyberverse Optimus Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw Platinum Soundwave and Devastator at the local TRU. Was going to pick up Soundwave until I realized that the price tag was correct at $170. :rofl:

I saw MP Bluestreak at local TRU yesterday. Decided to pass on him so I can let this month's toy money roll over to next month for my Devastator.

They were actually quite well stocked with Bluestreak. Anyone know if $59.99 is the new regular price for Masterpiece figures now? Or is it just the repaint/retool price?

They're all over the place with pricing but It seems to depend on the size of the MP. The autobot vehicles have been $59.99. Seekers started at $69.99 then bumped up to $79.99 and now seemingly, per the Starscream preorder page, are back down to $59.99.

The bigger MP's with more accessories, Optimus and Soundwave, have started at $119.99 but have also gone as high as $129 and $149. And now that fugly YOTG Soundwave is $179. So they're all over the map with pricing. For the more popular characters I would try to get them in store ASAP because after a week or two TRU seems to bump the price up. For less popular characters they seem to hold their initial price. I have yet to see Bluestreak increase and never saw Acid Storm or Sunstorm increase as all of those seem to sit on the shelves a bit.

Found Sunstreaker at one Target this week, and Mirage at another.  No sign of the other two or whatever they're calling the Prime recolor.

Sunstreaker is decent, but not better than Classics Sunstreaker.  In many ways -- from the hollow legs to the front of the car not being the chest of the robot -- it's worse.  Classics is more visually interesting.

Mirage just seems wrong.  It's close, but both modes look off.  Classics Mirage also had the front wheels as a backpack, but the front of the robot was still interesting.  The vehicle is third place, behind G1 and Classics.

Of course, these are combiners, too.  I'll see where these are going, and I don't mind these recolors since this way I can keep the Stunticons as Menasor and still have these guys to show in other modes.

Found Sunstreaker at one Target this week, and Mirage at another. No sign of the other two or whatever they're calling the Prime recolor.
The few Targets that I have gone to have had Sunstreaker, Mirage, Ironhide and Prowl. No sign of Battle Prime.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy Blackjack when he was available. Now I don't know if they will re-issue him or if I have to chase down a version for top $.

Part of me is glad I have no interest in the myriad repaints until Bruticus and SkyLynx come out, but at the same time sad that I won't be buying ANY TF's for a good while.  RID2015 is in some weird limbo, and Generations is nothing but repaints for the foreseeable future.

I hear you Zmonkay, I too am feeling no desire to re-buy all the combiner limbs in different colors. I did however indulge my curiosity and picked up a handful of the RID minicons the other day. At $4.99 a pop, they're an easy and painless buy. Intended to be used as projectile weapons in their alt modes, these minicons represent a very deliberate set of decisions. The Decepticons collapse into more or less bullet-shaped missiles while the Autobots form (one assumes) lethal frisbees.

The transformations on these little guys are usually one step of pulling or pushing on a particular limb to make them expand/unfold on geared and hinged sections into their robot or beast forms. Essentially joining the ranks of the other RID one-step-changer toys. Each one comes with a parts tree in colored see-thru plastic shaped like their faction insignia. (I suppose you could keep the spru after you take the bits off, but why?) The bits form armor pieces and weapons that work in both main and alt modes. In fact, for the four guys I picked up, they can all wear all of their extra bits during transformation and they work well in both modes. I assume from the packaging insert, however that you;d have to remove the accessories in order to attach or launch them from their larger counterparts.

Speaking of which, there are only two figures so far that have the launchers to accommodate these guys. Both the autobot and decepticon characters represent the worst of the RID line of one-step-changers, managing to be bland and practically immobile in both main and alternate modes. The launchers themselves aren't even integrated into the bot modes, consisting of a the launcher itself attached to this weird looking armature that hangs awkwardly off the side or back of the bot. I can definitely see this being the first part to break off when your average kid tries to play with these things.

In terms of overall feel and quality, these minicons are a couple steps above Happy Meal toys. And that's bad. The neon-colored accessories, while a neat idea, don't do enough to elevate these figures, especially when the majority of them have no paint at all. The couple figures that do have paint, have one color in maybe two places. They have no articulation beyond what their one-step-change gearing will allow. They also look unfinished without all of their accessories attached.

All-in-all, more confirmation for me that this line is intended for kids only. Simplistic transformations, gimmick function dictating form and engineering, almost no articulation in either mode, and easily loseable accessories with no method of storage apparent. Combined with the low price point, these seem to be intended to be allowance-eaters.

I'm not sorry I bought them, if only to be able to explain to my non-collector friends why their kids really won't appreciate getting these, even if they think they want them.

I was kinda intrigued by the minicons, but have backed off, because as you say, the launchers for them are really really ugly.  They kinda remind me of the transforming beyblade toys of a few years back. 

Sunstreaker is the only combiner wars toy of that wave I've opened, and after playing with him by himself, he's pretty disappointing.  I think because he's a more iconic character, I notice more how terrible the legs are for this mold. 

if you want Devastator put don't want to pay the $150, keep checking Amazon Warehouse Deals.. I've seen him pop up for $115 - 120 all in original sealed packaging, but with damage to the box.  I still couldn't pull the trigger even at $115, though, not sure why. 

actually, looks like it's up right now for $109.xx, although it does say it has minor damage so who really knows how bad it will be:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00SOFZF08/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Anybody on here try the Collector's Club Subscription Figure service before?

I'm really liking the combiner wars stuff as a whole, but I'm not sure exclusivity alone justifies what is essentially a $42/per piece Decepticon combiner plus two Autobots. They haven't revealed the 7th bonus figure yet, but so far they're mostly repaints, with new heads, of the same combiner limbs I've already bought a couple times each.

I'm thinking that at those prices, I'd be better off investing in a FansProject or something? Plus the $297 doesn't even include separate shipping charges for each figure.

Am I missing something here, friends, or is this as bad a deal as it initially sounds?

Anybody on here try the Collector's Club Subscription Figure service before?

I'm really liking the combiner wars stuff as a whole, but I'm not sure exclusivity alone justifies what is essentially a $42/per piece Decepticon combiner plus two Autobots. They haven't revealed the 7th bonus figure yet, but so far they're mostly repaints, with new heads, of the same combiner limbs I've already bought a couple times each.

I'm thinking that at those prices, I'd be better off investing in a FansProject or something? Plus the $297 doesn't even include separate shipping charges for each figure.

Am I missing something here, friends, or is this as bad a deal as it initially sounds?
Collector's Club is a service for vastly overpriced repaints.

Some of them are interesting. Some of them have been/still are clearance bait at stores like BBTS. Occasionally they come out with great stuff, like the Animated Stunticons, Depth Charge, and their Serpentor homage. Most of it is Shattered Glass or horrifically ugly repaints.

The last time I mentioned them here, I believe I called them "assclowns", as their web store is horrible, their customer service laughable, and their security even worse -- which is why I had to get my credit card reissued after my one and only purchase with them.

I think the last thing Combiner Wars needs is even more repaints. I will say Spinister and Needlenose look decent (and they were decent G1 toys, too) and if they were general release toys, I would pick them up. Bludgeon, however, is a perfect example of Collector's Club's aesthetic -- horrible, unnecessary, eyebleeding, and ridiculously priced. If you need new versions of Triggercons (which were awful G1 toys) you are far more dedicated than I.

If you are even considering paying $42 each for another Alpha Bravo and Offroad repaint, there's nothing I can say.

Take this with a massive grain of salt.

At TRU today, I saw a shelf tag for Masterpiece Starscream.  There were no actual toys.  They did have Bluestreak.

A TRU employee once told me they can't generate shelf tags without getting the toy in stock at least once.  I never did believe him.  None of the employees at my local store ever knew what was up with Masterpiece figures and they all contradicted each other.

Also, it bears saying that I have seen shelf tags for Masterpiece figures and never seen the toys show up.

Nonetheless, it was there.  It begins.

Interesting. Which tru was this at? I've experienced the same thing and got the same runaround. I might start the hunt hoping to get a jump and actually see this one in store

Thanks for the assessment of the Collector's Club, blandstalker. That's about what I thought. Guess I'm just not a "real" collector. :)

As far as the TRU shelf tags for Masterpiece toys, I can also attest to TRU stores having shelf tags for items that never show up, and not just for masterpiece Transformers. I don't the think the tags are indicative of anything other than they are perhaps expecting a shipment.

I've also been told many contradictory things about Transformer items, however one thing several employees at different stores have told me (so it may actually be true) is that they have no idea what will actually show up when the trucks arrive. Items will show up in the system as having been shipped to them but may never actually arrive.

Seems like a helluva way to run a business to me.

Thanks for the assessment of the Collector's Club, blandstalker. That's about what I thought. Guess I'm just not a "real" collector. :)

As far as the TRU shelf tags for Masterpiece toys, I can also attest to TRU stores having shelf tags for items that never show up, and not just for masterpiece Transformers. I don't the think the tags are indicative of anything other than they are perhaps expecting a shipment.

I've also been told many contradictory things about Transformer items, however one thing several employees at different stores have told me (so it may actually be true) is that they have no idea what will actually show up when the trucks arrive. Items will show up in the system as having been shipped to them but may never actually arrive.

Seems like a helluva way to run a business to me.
The manifest for TRU trucks don't show in the system until the night before. This is the earliest that anyone will know what is supposed to be on their truck. They don't start loading the trucks until the day before a stores scheduled delivery(At least in my region)

As far as when items come in, you can always look at pending/physical DC quantities and get a feel for when something might come in. For items I'm looking for, I always check each DC and see if any of them have shipped stuff out.

Masterpiece Starscream is on its way to Distribution Centers now. Stores will receive quantities but it doesn't look very plentiful. Also saw they have Masterpiece Bumble Bee with Spike in the system now.

So it appears masterpiece starscream has arrived in socal and at the same time quickly disappeared. I've been given the runaround from two local tru that claim to have had it then deny it. Called mission Viejo after being told they had 2 in stock after an associate in oceanside checked the computer and saw 2 in stock there. First call was answered by a gentleman who sounded surprised when I inquired about their stock and told me to hold. Never came back. Called back and spoke with a lady who told me yes they had 2, but had to check. 8 minutes later she comes back and tells me all they have is "the race car" one and no jet. I have her r Web number and she said that was generic for all masterpiece transformers. Needless to say I didn't get one. I'm baffled by both hasbro and tru business tactics. If anyone finds one locally and wants to help me out I'll be glad to compensate you for your trouble. Any help appreciated.

Masterpiece Exhaust (recolor with new head of Masterpiece Wheeljack) is being reissued.  Notable mainly because domestic retailers were blocked from selling him, so if you missed out on him because of that (like I did) you have a second chance.

Hi guys, I was just reading about some of the new figures coming soon and was wondering if there were any informed opinions on these matters?

• MP Ironhide : Looks pretty damned awesome to me, anybody know anything more other than what I've already learned from the promo photos?
  • AOE Platinum Edition G1 Dinobots : Whereas I wasn't very impressed by the redesigned dinobots for this  fuck-ing crappy movie, getting them in G1 colors with G1 heads might be pretty cool. Thoughts?
  • MP Thundercraker : Is this a re-issue? I feel like I already bought this guy a few years ago? (Have to check my storage shed to be sure.)
As always, I thank you for sharing your knowledge and opinions. I value both.

Hi guys, I was just reading about some of the new figures coming soon and was wondering if there were any informed opinions on these matters?

• MP Ironhide : Looks pretty damned awesome to me, anybody know anything more other than what I've already learned from the promo photos?
  • AOE Platinum Edition G1 Dinobots : Whereas I wasn't very impressed by the redesigned dinobots for this fuck-ing crappy movie, getting them in G1 colors with G1 heads might be pretty cool. Thoughts?
  • MP Thundercraker : Is this a re-issue? I feel like I already bought this guy a few years ago? (Have to check my storage shed to be sure.)
As always, I thank you for sharing your knowledge and opinions. I value both.
I've seen enough of MP Ironhide - WANT!

MP Thundercracker has gone through a few iterations. The first one released in Japan (MP-7) was a recolor of the MP-3 Starscream. Starscream got a retooled design with MP-11 to make the robot mode more show accurate, and that was recolored (with, I think, some slight tweaks) for the US release. Ticked some people off, since the earlier US releases of MP Starscream and Skywarp used MP-3, so the US releases weren't all consistent. The MP-11 Starscream is starting to make his way to the US. The new MP Thundercracker is a recolor of MP-11 with the blue coloring closer to the G1 show than the earlier releases (though I don't think he had a black nose in the show). The Japanese release is also supposed to be limited to 2,000 pieces. Don't know if it will make its way to the US, but I'll buy it if it does.

• AOE Platinum Edition G1 Dinobots : Whereas I wasn't very impressed by the redesigned dinobots for this fuck-ing crappy movie, getting them in G1 colors with G1 heads might be pretty cool. Thoughts?
MP Ironhide is a buy for me. Looks great and, while the MP cars are overpriced, they are quality.

Dinobots? ehhh. Seems to me the further we get from the release of this movie, the more irrelevant the toys for it become. I've noticed this before with other lines (like Cybertron or Armada) or other movies. Something will become desirable because it's the only version of something that Hasbro has released, even though it's deeply flawed. People are torn. Do they get the thing anyway, because it's sort of close and better than nothing? Or do they wait.

What tends to happen is that Hasbro eventually gets off its butt and releases a more authentic version. It still may not be a home run, but it's better. And then the bottom falls out of the market of the previous version.

I don't dislike the AoE Dinobots. But even my favorites -- Snarl and Slag -- do things so differently from the G1 Dinobots that they're essentially different toys. The other Dinobots have their range of flaws, down to the weird Slash and the terrible Swoop. (I can accept two heads, but I can't accept a toy that just fails at what it should be doing). Putting a G1 skin on them doesn't make them any better.

If you want Dinobots, go for the Fans Toys or Fans Projects versions. They will ultimately cost you more, but they won't leave you wanting like these movie toys will. Or wait for Hasbro to come to their senses. They finally did with Combiner Wars. They'll get there with Dinobots. The money is too good.

Anyone looking for MP BB cheap, KO MP BB is out: http://www.tf-direct.com/store/ko-masterpiece-mp-21-bumblebee

Mine just shipped!  As I've said before I don't like supporting KO companies, but the MP figs are absurdly overprized either imported or even the domestic releases, and fuck dealing with TRU for exclusives.  I personally find them on par with the Alternators line, which retailed for 20.00 iirc, so you can't tell me it's because of the licensed cars.

Anyone looking for MP BB cheap, KO MP BB is out: http://www.tf-direct.com/store/ko-masterpiece-mp-21-bumblebee

Mine just shipped! As I've said before I don't like supporting KO companies, but the MP figs are absurdly overprized either imported or even the domestic releases, and fuck dealing with TRU for exclusives. I personally find them on par with the Alternators line, which retailed for 20.00 iirc, so you can't tell me it's because of the licensed cars.
You are completely, totally, incontrovertibly wrong.

Alternators were bigger. ;)

Mine just shipped! As I've said before I don't like supporting KO companies, but the MP figs are absurdly overprized either imported or even the domestic releases, and fuck dealing with TRU for exclusives. I personally find them on par with the Alternators line, which retailed for 20.00 iirc, so you can't tell me it's because of the licensed cars.
Hmm... and how much did Binaltech retail for? I don't think Takara is just making a mint by overpricing the toys way above what they cost (and with what all toys cost these days, compared to even a few years ago, you might as well bootleg the main line too). You can justify buying KOs however you want, but the line is dead once they fail to sell at whatever price.

Please post your impressions. I've read some bad reviews on the Hasbro version being very flimsy.
Yeah, that would be great. I bought MP Sunstorm a while back along with Prowl and both were too plastic (100% I think) so I went 3P and have never looked back since.

"shit"

I vaguely recall reports of broken joints and crappy overall quality of the parts.
I have one. I wouldn't call it "shit", but I would say that it is disappointing.

Certain parts have way too much stress on them or are way too fragile, or both. The same issues don't necessarily pop up on every toy, and some have reported that the thing breaks in packaging. I've been storing mine in its original packaging, and I just kinda hope it's okay.

It's one of the few Hasbro/Takara toys that I fear I will break through no fault of my own. The feet/ankles terrify me.

It's a shame, as there are many really great features in the design, but if you're scared to transform a Transformer, that pretty much says it all.

That reminds me of the first release Yamato Macross Plus VF-11. The pegs for the legs were plastic and would snap off from being transformed.

longshot here but anyone picked up an extra new Masterpiece Starscream and is looking for a NIB Platinum Edition Year of the Horse Starscream (the huge one) ? Thanks!

TRU.com lets you do store pick-up.  A couple of stores near me  finally got them in stock  this weekend after checking every day.  Little bit of a drive but I got one.

TRU.com lets you do store pick-up. A couple of stores near me finally got them in stock this weekend after checking every day. Little bit of a drive but I got one.
I wish I were so lucky, but there were plenty of Bluestreaks when I stopped by on Sat at my local.

I have one. I wouldn't call it "shit", but I would say that it is disappointing.

Certain parts have way too much stress on them or are way too fragile, or both. The same issues don't necessarily pop up on every toy, and some have reported that the thing breaks in packaging. I've been storing mine in its original packaging, and I just kinda hope it's okay.

It's one of the few Hasbro/Takara toys that I fear I will break through no fault of my own. The feet/ankles terrify me.

It's a shame, as there are many really great features in the design, but if you're scared to transform a Transformer, that pretty much says it all.
I've never transformed Hot Rod. I hope that we can get the trailer that goes with him.

Anyone else get a head?

Hasbro sent me a replacement Brainstorm head.  I had ordered Brainstorm through HasbroToyShop.com, so that's how they knew.

I'm a little surprised, since they originally sent me the 'fixed' version of Brainstorm.  The new head they sent me is almost identical to the one I had structurally -- the robot head, which was the problem, is the same, but the Headmaster chin is different (the new one has a raised gray trapezoid on the chin) and there are a few paint differences.  The new one has light gray kneecaps and abs, and has darker teal eyes.

What's the problem with Brainstorm's head they're fixing? Any idea where I can request a new head if I bought him elsewhere?

What's the problem with Brainstorm's head they're fixing? Any idea where I can request a new head if I bought him elsewhere?
The old head fit too tightly and was prone to snapping off inside the robot body. The new head has more rounded/flattened 'ears'. It's something you can do yourself with a dremel tool.

A quick Google search did not reveal anything, so if you want a replacement head, I'd email Hasbro's customer service.

Thanks for the info, blandstalker. I looked up a youtube video showing the differences and how to DIY. Since I prefer his head on his shoulders anyway, I'm not going to worry about it too much.

In other news, you guys see this Limited Release Deadlock for $69.99? It's a repaint of an older mold used for Drift and Blur and apparently comes with both sets of weapons. But it's a Deluxe class figure for a Masterpiece-ish price, WTF?  

Spotted two Devastators at the Harbison SC Toysrus. Worth using the 20% off toy book coupon. I would have grabbed one but I just broke down and bought a Takara MP-10 Convoy and my wife would have probably stabbed me. Or get her a new iPhone...

I'm still clinging to the hope that Devastator shows up at Costco like Metroplex did around holiday time the year he came out..

bread's done
Back