10% off disc10
Latest Transformers news:

• Dark of the Moon toyline to be released at retail on May 15, 2011
  • Transformers Prime toyline to be released at retail in October 2011
Latest Transformers figures available at retail now:

• Generations Warpath, Kup, and Scourge
  • Dark of the Moon Preview Pack Cyberverse Optimus Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, missed out on that Wreck-Gar restock. That's what I get when I don't stop by during the day and rely on the email updates. Meh, I still have the original, and he was quite poseable, so I'm good if I don't find one.

I've got Kup in my PoL along with that 'Cracker/'Jack/Warpath trio, but man, BBTS isn't very clear that hitting the "purchase" button doesn't actually send out what's in and what's still coming--in other words, I felt like it was a gamble that I was doing something wrong when I added both items to my cart, but was going to have them ship separately (fortunately, they're not, but they also don't list the final shipping cost for them bundled together).
My girlfriend of course did this :roll: when I mentioned I was getting four more figures to add to my collection, but she should be happy that I'm picky about which ones I get, and not just any old TF--though they've been creeping out from displays on a shelf above our bedroom closet into the living room, which she likes to poke fun at me about from time to time.
She indulges me, and it's really my only vice, so she just smiles and pats me on my head.

What about the rest of you? What's your better half say about your hobby?

My girlfriend is almost as big of a Transformers fan as I am - she lets me deal with tracking down / buying the figures, but she is into everything else. She's been talking about getting into customizing, as well.

She is mostly into G1 / G2 / Animated / Classics and is really starting to get into third party stuff lately.

That same girlfriend just picked us up this, and I wanted to share the deal with everyone:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers...gends-five-pack-released-at-us-retail-170693/

The K-Mart exclusive Victory of the Fallen Legends 5 pack.

It is on clearance at every K-Mart, apparently: it was marked $16 here, but they were doing a 50% off sale (not sure if this part is universal) so it came out to be $8. If you've got a K-Mart nearby, its worth a look.

I've never bought a K-Mart exclusive at full price yet, they overorder on them and always seem to clearance them out.

[quote name='equest943']Anyone else up for this?

http://tfsource.com/products/view/product_id/2527/

Anyone know whether it's going to be orange tipped or not? I know there's a Prime one, too, but I already have one from the TRU reprint back in '02 and a Pepsi one so unless this next one has full smokestacks, I'm going to pass.[/QUOTE]

Is that an online packaging of the two or what?

[quote name='LXL_Guy']Is that an online packaging of the two or what?[/QUOTE]

It's not any official set that I know of or could find elsewhere.

It looks like a DOTM Megatron paired with a loose G1 Megatron, judging from the pictures, the price, and their other listings. Despite what it says, it's not a "case fresh" G1 Megatron unless there's another digit in the price.

I'd ask the retailer exactly what is included.

[quote name='blandstalker']It's not any official set that I know of or could find elsewhere.

It looks like a DOTM Megatron paired with a loose G1 Megatron, judging from the pictures, the price, and their other listings. Despite what it says, it's not a "case fresh" G1 Megatron unless there's another digit in the price.

I'd ask the retailer exactly what is included.[/QUOTE]

Its Takara and its official. BBTS has more information up on it here.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11254&mode=retail

And yes, chances are good TFSource will orange tip the gun because BBTS is doing the same. Its actually what it looks like, you were right: its a G1 re-release with the DOTM counterpart. It wont be loose, it will have an official box and everything since it is a Takara product.

While Hasbro might do the Optimus Prime one (I still doubt it) they won't touch the Megatron one in a million years so it will be Japan only (if the name Takara did not give it away already.) Optimus probably will have full smokestacks since Japan does not have the same toy laws that we do here.

Edit: Found even more information. Takara is calling the two packs Transformers Chronicles:

http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=15490

Apparently Warpath was up very briefly on HBTS this morning. Already have the case preordered through BBTS so I'm not all that pissed. Also, Windcharger's listing has disappeared.

Anyone else not really that concerned given Hasbro's propensity towards repaints? I can't see them sitting on the Rumble/Frenzy, Windcharger, or even Wreck Gar mold and not throwing it out either during DotM or afterwards.

Hell, Wreck Gar's instructions show a different head so that's practically a guaranteed repaint at some point, right?

Also, if anyone was waiting for Warpath on HTS, he appeared briefly (today, possibly?) and is already out of stock.

However, he has been sighted at US retail now (at a Target) so there is still a very slim chance you can find him at retail.

[quote name='Zmonkay']
Hell, Wreck Gar's instructions show a different head so that's practically a guaranteed repaint at some point, right?[/QUOTE]

That head was, I believe, used for the E-Hobby repaints in Japan, where instead of Wreck-Gar he was a Junkion. Its not a guarantee we'll see a repaint, Hasbro could have just been lazy with their instructions.

Thunderwing also had a new head in his instructions and he was released last year, and we've heard no mention of a repaint (and at this point, its doubtful we are getting one.)

As for Rumble / Frenzy, I don't think Hasbro mass produced those molds yet so I doubt we'll ever see them in the US.

[quote name='animalspinners']That head was, I believe, used for the E-Hobby repaints in Japan, where instead of Wreck-Gar he was a Junkion. Its not a guarantee we'll see a repaint, Hasbro could have just been lazy with their instructions.

Thunderwing also had a new head in his instructions and he was released last year, and we've heard no mention of a repaint (and at this point, its doubtful we are getting one.)

As for Rumble / Frenzy, I don't think Hasbro mass produced those molds yet so I doubt we'll ever see them in the US.[/QUOTE]

That e-hobby junkion is a different junkion head than that in the instructions. Like you said, still no guarantee that we'll get it, but promising.

I ordered Thundercracker and Kup from BBTS. I was going to preprder the thundercracker, warpath, and wheeljack case, but I really wanted to make sure that I got thundercracker, so I ordered it individually.

Is there a chance the cases won't ship or something? I ordered a case from BBTS, I really hope that's not the, er, case. If anyone wants the Thundercracker or Wheeljack from my case lmk. I'll happily ship out for cost + shipping (warning that the cost is slightly infated from retail because of BBTS). I really only want Warpath and don't generally do repaints. Would prefer to trade for a Perceptor if anyone has an extra and wants a WJ or TC.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Is there a chance the cases won't ship or something? I ordered a case from BBTS, I really hope that's not the, er, case.[/QUOTE]

They will ship, it just takes time to get them in - they have a lot of preorders to fill for these.

They are still taking preorders on them and at this point, they are just waiting on Hasbro if I had to take a guess. No worries. I preordered in early March and got mine from them a few weeks ago - I'd expect them to get more in stock in a few weeks.

Target is currently clearancing every Transformer line except Generations.. and at some stores, they are including Generations, as it shows up discontinued in their computers.

These were the prices at my local store:

Leaders: $28
Human Alliance: $22
Deluxes: $8.50
Voyagers: $13
Legends: $3.50

They had a ton of Laser Primes, Bumblebees, Skullgrins and Tracks, along with three or four Leader Starscreams, so if you are missing any figs I'd give Target a look. YMMV though, my Target already looked picked clean.

I grabbed a Legends Sunstorm and HA Shadowblade Sideswipe, along with a RtS Bumblebee to paint, had everything else there I wanted.

My Target's had pegwarmers for about six weeks now--I am not exaggerating when I say they literally haven't moved from their respective positions, just sitting on their asses waiting for DotM to replace them. So utterly frustrating. The same is happening at my TRU. I did manage to find a Perceptor weeks ago at another Target the next town over, but I've given up a this point and I'm waiting on my trio of 'Cracker, 'Jack and Warpath to show up at BBTS. But I also have to cancel my debit card thanks to the PSN hack job--the bank rep says they've already had some cards used fraudulently from the data mine. So now I don't know what to do--BBTS doesn't have a phone number and I have a stagnating order waiting to be filled, but I need to shut this card off ASAP before anything happens.

Not sure if anyone is a member of the Collector's Club or has any interest in the two exclusive figures (Animated Cheetor and G2 Ramjet) but preorders are already underway.

Both figures look to be heading to a first day sellout.

[quote name='animalspinners']Not sure if anyone is a member of the Collector's Club or has any interest in the two exclusive figures (Animated Cheetor and G2 Ramjet) but preorders are already underway.

Both figures look to be heading to a first day sellout.[/QUOTE]

Got the e-mail. Don't remember my password, hope they last until I get home from work to place an order.

[quote name='Bloomy']Got the e-mail. Don't remember my password, hope they last until I get home from work to place an order.[/QUOTE]

The club tweeted about an hour ago that they had sold 65% of the Ramjets and 50% of the Cheetors already, so you may still have a chance!

[quote name='animalspinners']Not sure if anyone is a member of the Collector's Club or has any interest in the two exclusive figures (Animated Cheetor and G2 Ramjet) but preorders are already underway.

Both figures look to be heading to a first day sellout.[/QUOTE]

saw it on Fb, then email... so went ahead on ramjet, idk bout cheetor tho, mehbe later if i see it botcon ;)

RE: Target Clearance.

The only Generations figure I scanned (Blurr) still showed up at $11.xx.

However, I did pick up the giant Battle Ops Bumblebee for only $14.98. (Note that the shelf tag says "Cyber Ops Bumblebee. Also, neither of the two boxes had clearance stickers, unlike all of the other TF figures.)

[quote name='animalspinners']The club tweeted about an hour ago that they had sold 65% of the Ramjets and 50% of the Cheetors already, so you may still have a chance![/QUOTE]

Was able to get in on both. The Club's web page wasn't opening at first, thought I was out of luck, but it eventually loaded.

[quote name='vollyg']Very cool, I'm going to order as soon as I get off work.[/QUOTE]

I hope you made it in time -- Ramjet is now sold out with little stock remaining of Cheetor.

GET LUGNUT NOW!!! Seriously, I am soooo happy with that figure, it's just fantastic. A perfect blending of Animated and Movieverse.

I seriously dislike my kmart next to me. Not that I expect them to have a huge selection considering that they are kmart, but they have had seriously no stock of transformers for almost two months now. I know that the new line is right around the bend, but it certainly doesn't make me want to go there.

[quote name='sonderiaom']I seriously dislike my kmart next to me. Not that I expect them to have a huge selection considering that they are kmart, but they have had seriously no stock of transformers for almost two months now. I know that the new line is right around the bend, but it certainly doesn't make me want to go there.[/QUOTE]

That's just K-Mart - they really are horrible at stocking anything, not just Transformers.

When I used to go to the K-Mart near here about once a week for new video game releases (before I got fed up with them.. long story) I would always check the toy section, and over time, the Transformers display actually shrunk as they removed pegs from it. Last I checked, it was something like 4 pegs total, full of ROTF figures.

The only thing K-Mart is good for is getting their exclusives on clearance for $8 for a $25 - $30 set.

shit fuck. So the stores near me refuse to restock anything, so perceptor may be out of the question (Please Hasbro, repaint?). Also, According to HBTS, just getting the DotM figs they have up for preorder "now" is over 250.00 ..... That's not even the entire launch lineup. I really wish Amazon stocked TF's in anything resembling a normal way (Direct through Amazon, not price gauged through some third party). I'd love to save sales tax and shipping on these things.

Is there some business sense to not also appealing to "expert" buyers aka collectors who still want non-movie related figs? I can understand playing to the odds with huge allocations for movie merchandise but history has shown this sort of push is only temporary; a year from now no one will really give a hoot for DOTM stuff.

I suppose an indirect link could be, suck nostalgic buyers in with DOTM and keep them buying with the other lines. Then again does Hasbro even take collectors/discerning buyers seriously as a segment any more?

It's funny I can walk into any of our local Wal-Marts and they have their exclusive preview optimus prime out for sale; it literally looks like 0 of them have sold.

[quote name='MrSneis'] Then again does Hasbro even take collectors/discerning buyers seriously as a segment any more?
.[/QUOTE]

The short answer is that Hasbro does, retailers don't, and Hasbro has to do what makes them money.

If you look at the amount of figures Hasbro gave us from the start of Generations until now, its very obvious they take the collectors and fans seriously. Hell, they gave us a Straxus of all things -- a character so obscure that only the older, more discerning fans are going to know about him.

I honestly believe that Hasbro and retailers don't communicate well, or there is a severe disconnect amongst them, their customers, and reality. I think part of this is that Transformers are different than other toys, and retailers do not treat them as such.

Retailers do go after collectors, but they don't seem to understand them very well. TRU is infamous here -- their endless repaint exclusives are aimed right at collectors (many of whom don't want them), but they botched Arcee and Rodimus, both of which should have been no-brainers.

But retailers also think very short-term. They want new stuff constantly, which leads to lots of small assortments. They just don't manage the stocks and assortments terribly well because they don't understand them. They've based their model on the short term and the overall toy department, and don't see that it could work much better.

Some of this is clearly Hasbro's fault. Case selection and quantity per case are under their control, and sometimes they just suck (like the extraordinarily stupid Jetblade/Ravage assortment). Grapple is another dumbass decision -- I found Grapple only once, but I've seen his case buddies dozens of times. Simply changing the quantity per case would have fixed this one. Yeah, it's a balancing act, but there are ones (like this one) that should be pretty damn obvious.

Whatever you feel for movie figures, you should be glad to see them. They pay for lines like Generations, so even while short-term DOTM mania might dislodge Generations for awhile, it's better in the long term.

Oh, and even if you hate movie figures, the new Voyager Megatron is really, really good.

A buddy of mine found Thundercracker, Wheeljack and Warpath for me this morning at Walmart. Feels good to be done with Generations

HEADS UP! HBTS has free shipping (over $25) for Cinco de Mayo! Use disc10 for 10% off. It stacks with the automatic free shipping and makes the DotM toys cheaper than retail!

Edit: Strange that I was bitching and moaning about $100 to fix my RROD 360, but I just dropped ~300 on DotM toys without batting an eye... Wish Leader Sentinal, Voyager Shockwave, Voyager Skyhammer, and HA Roadbuster were in stock, but that'd be another 100 bucks so maybe it's a good thing they aren't :D

Crap. You guys are gonna send me on a pointless trip to TRU today to be once again disappointed. I'm just sick of waiting on BBTS to fill my trio order--they pushed the preorder arrival back to May now.

[quote name='Watchman']Crap. You guys are gonna send me on a pointless trip to TRU today to be once again disappointed. I'm just sick of waiting on BBTS to fill my trio order--they pushed the preorder arrival back to May now.[/QUOTE]

Me too :( Going to swing by TRU tomorrow, but I don't have high hopes. Last time I was there it was the exact, to the figure, stock from three weeks prior.

Wal-Mart nearby put out some Dark of the Moon voyagers. Picked up Megatron since that's basically a new mold. It's also a nice figure to say the least. Seems kind of small though compared to other Voyagers.

I think the general consensus is that DotM toys are smaller than normal. Hasbro is probably trying to justify it as the mechtech weapons use up allocated plastic/parts limitations, but imho that's a bullshit excuse. I miss the good old days of Beast Wars: Basic, Deluxe, Mega, Ultra. 5, 10, 15, 20. Done.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Me too :( Going to swing by TRU tomorrow, but I don't have high hopes. Last time I was there it was the exact, to the figure, stock from three weeks prior.[/QUOTE]

I checked yesterday I saw nothing new, everything there has been there for weeks.

I've read that DOTM toys are about 3/4 the size.

In some cases, it's noticeable. In others, not so much. I 'felt' that Roadbuster was smaller, but had to put him next to an ROTF car to confirm. He's just a little bit smaller, mainly in the width.

DOTM Megatron is an awesome, awesome figure. Do not let any size issues put you off. He's a fricken' steal at $20 (and I had to pay $30 thanks to Canadian markup)

I do wish that MechTech wasn't a reason/excuse to reduce the size. I really don't care about oversized, goofy weapons. Though I will say if they were all like Megatron's, which integrates into the vehicle mode, I wouldn't mind.

[quote name='blandstalker']I really don't care about oversized, goofy weapons. Though I will say if they were all like Megatron's, which integrates into the vehicle mode, I wouldn't mind.[/QUOTE]

This x 100! I hate the markup on larger figures just because they have pointless lights and sound, which I usually disable anyway because they're usually annoying (though I understand it's marketed towards the kids, so that gets a pass). It's unexcusable though to have weapons that don't hide in vehicle mode. Robots in disguise do not have gigantic chunks of crap hanging off of them. Since Beast Wars (hell, even Machine Wars) we've had weapons that integrate into the alt mode. Sorry for the mini rant, but this whole mechtech thing is retarded.

Also, my TRU was devoid of any new stuff other than a surprising DotM starscream and DotM bumblebee. The ones that are basically legends but with playsets, I forget the new name. Got em preordered from HBTS so passed on them.

went to TRU, wasn't lucky enuff to find warpath there but found Kup n Scourge instead... also saw the DotM toys @WM, only got Roadbuster out of the bunch of small deluxes, was hoping to HA figs but nah... noticed the nascar hologram on the pakaging was numbered also, kinda pointless imo since once the movie is out u kno we're gonna get flooded with it ;)

side note update: Hasbro decided not complete the manufacture of, nor ship the remainder of, the Transformers Generations Series 03 and 04(w/c included the extra TC i was waiting for:headache:) out of their facility until sometime in June. Hasbro has shipped only 1/3 of their orders to retailers, this is based on issues Hasbro is having with production. :)-kmy guess, prioritizing DotM)

Picked up DOTM Megatron, Optimus Prime and Deluxe Bumblebee today... really wanted the Megatron, but I picked up Bumblebee since he was the only one there and Optimus just because it was all they had, haha. The crazy part is that these figures were on the shelf already.

Decided to push my luck and ask the employee to check the back for more figures with the DPCI's I had, but he saw the street date and and pretty much flipped these were on the shelf already... then commented there were a lot more a few minutes ago.

I'm not stupid -- I bought my figures and put them in the car *before* asking ;)

Voyager Megatron is an awesome figure, haven't messed with the other two yet.

Hey guys, just found this thread and am enamored! I've been searching everywhere for warpath and have been unable to find him. I refuse to pay inflated eBay prices. Anyone have one in your area? I'll pay for fig & ship plus a little extra for the effort. Pm me if you're interested.

Check this out guys--look who I found in my local mall Japanese kitsch shop:
photo3.jpg

He didn't come cheap ($71), but I think he was worth it. I missed nabbing him in stores three times (don't ask why--I was expecting a price drop, not for him to vanish altogether), but frankly I've never had an import before, but jeez louise, he's so shiny. It really is a damn shame they don't do this for the American incarnations. They still used the original font, even for the "animated" subtitle.
photo4.jpg
photo5.jpg

Note the "sound effect" on the side: "Zubababan!" and they refer to the transformation as the "gimmic" (which made me chuckle as to the choice of word and the spelling). They really go into detail on the back about the features (which of course I can't read, I'm just starting to learn kanji). They really know how to cover a box with info, that's for sure.

Also, they had these:
photo2.jpg
photo1.jpg

They were selling for $25 apiece (not pictured: Swoop), and Ratchet had way more logos and decals on him than the stateside one.
They also had the larger ones (Bulkhead as Ironhide in the shiniest forest green I've ever seen) as well as the original Animated Decepticon flyboys TCrack and SWarp. I almost snagged Bulk 'til I saw Magnus (I already have the original Bulkhead) and a full-sized Megatron for the same price as U.M.
If anyone wants any of these, let me know--I could run back and grab you one--they are infiinitely prettier to look at, that's for sure.

Anyone think I overpaid? I'm just curious--I saw listings on Amazon for about the same price, so I feel like I didn't get ripped off.

Nah, you didn't overpay at all for an import -- Takara products are generally much higher quality than Hasbro and carry an extra fee being imported from Japan, more so on exclusives.

He goes for $72 on BBTS too, so it seems thats about the average price. My rule for imports is that you take the price of what it is here in the US and double it for general release figures - so leaders were about $40, so $72 is fair.

Takara loves things like shiny paint and chrome, I'm surprised they didn't add chrome all to him either haha.

I have quite a few imports and they are worth the money every time, though I don't usually buy figures that get released over here just because its pricey for extra paint apps. Some collectors skip Hasbro altogether though for the reasons you listed.

If you like Animated, and got the money to spend, Black Rodimus is an amazing figure though and well worth getting.

bread's done
Back