Transformers: War For Cybertron - 10x XP Weekend Going on Now-Through 11/28!

[quote name='Morphx2']who the f* would buy the jazz code for $34[/QUOTE]

I don't care, but they were the ones that allowed me to get the game this early, cause i wasn't read to spend $60 on this game.

[quote name='nnthomas']
I thought the Decepticon story kicked in when Omega Supreme came into the picture. The entire level of him coming after you was great. I think this game is really good still. I finished Decepticon story last night, got all the collectables, etc.

If I was a huge TF fan I would be rubbing one out to this game every time I turned it on
[/QUOTE]

Please add spoiler tags, it was a twist in the story when it was revealed. Enjoying the game. Wish it was more polished in some spots, more hectic in others, but overall I am really impressed the game and don't care if it is because it's good or my expectations were low. First game in a while that put a smile on my face while playing. Hope to play some multiplayer in the future. Can't wait to see how they balance the jets vs. autos vs. tanks.

Played the demo today and the multiplayer isn't bad. Yeah I know it is odd that I have the game but am playing the demo. If Gamestop does not send me my Shockwave code then the game goes back and I hold off for a price drop or pick it up at best buy and get jazz. Anyway the multiplayer levels weren't bad but they just felt like they were to small. They all felt like they were lacking something but that might be because it was jjust a demo.

[quote name='Techsticles']Besides having a different appearance, is there anything else unique about the preorder DLC characters?[/QUOTE]
Nope.

I just beat the campaign and it was pretty good. Loved the credit sequence and the last two levels were a blast. Great game, but I am glad I rented it. The multiplayer is a lot of fun, but I don't see myself playing it for the long run online. I'll pick this up as soon as I see a nice price drop though, I would love to add this to my collection for cheap.

So just beat it. Was fun. The last boss was pretty difficult, in fact it reminded me a lot like some WoW raid bosses with its mechanics, spawning adds, dancing around the room, etc. Still, I was really dissappointed that both the Autobot and Decepticon campaigns were like 90% identical to each other in terms of gameplay and format. Really upset that they actually made the enemies (other than the bosses) exactly the fucking same except for their color. Credits were cool and all minus the gay song but I didn't get any post credit cutscene like people were hinting at and I beat it on hard.

Oh and I'm still down for some co-op if anyone's interested. I'd really like to get some people to do Escalation for the achievements so let me know here or on XBL, I'm down for some anytime I'm online.

I completed all the side achievements. The Autobot's Healing and Laserbeak achievements where a pain. But the rest are pretty easy. At least the game lets you quit and reload stages unlit you get them.

[quote name='Thorgouge']Credits were cool and all minus the gay song.[/QUOTE]

No, it rocked. This was an excellent touch for Transformer fans. Considering it's Stan Bush who did a few songs for the animated Transformers: The Movie including the famous "You Got The Touch." These credits (including the song) were the cherry on top of this "Fandom Sunday."

I loved all the easter eggs. Anyone else catch Ironhide's Universal Greeting? Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is one of the buggiest games I've played in awhile...two separate incidents of falling through the ground and dying, two separate incidents of a checkpoint door closing before both co-op partners could get through, failing a section but restarting at the next checkpoint, and three separate incidents of getting stuck in a an object like the corner of a wall or object and not being able to move. This is frustrating given that if a person dies in co-op then everyone has to restart at the last checkpoint.

This game is awesome... Its not perfect.. but dammit it gets the job done. That 9 from IGN was WELL deserved. I wish that they could do a game based on the original Transformers Movie..... Overall though, I had some complaints, but I was just being picking. The truth about this game is that it executes.. the action, the gameplay, the story, the characters, the banter between characters, original movie references... I can't believe [after all the previous horrible TF games] that this game exists.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Not a child of the 80s, I see.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Beast Wars was what got me into Transformers. Now if only there was a good Beast Wars game...

Beast Wars should stay dead. Nobody wants a robot that turns into an monkey or rat? It's a downgrade. Besides the Beast Wars toys sucked. My Transformers had real metal in them.

[quote name='rodimus']beast wars should stay dead. Nobody wants a robot that turns into an monkey or rat? It's a downgrade. Besides the beast wars toys sucked. My transformers had real metal in them.[/quote]

qft

Agreed... Though the writing in the Beast Wars show was good. But how anyone could like BW better than G1 (and thus War for Cybertron), I shall never know.

Whoa, where'd all the Beast Wars hate come from?

I watched the entire first season about a week ago when I still had my Netflix trial going. The animation hasn't aged well at all, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I only ever caught a couple of episodes when I was little, but it always stuck with me. Just sucks that the first season ended on a cliffhanger... guess I'll have to wait for another netflix trial!

Almost done here at Botcon, should be able to play some coop and versus in a few days if anyone is interested.

I asked the developer at Botcon about the lack of host migration and they said they are looking into it.

Well looks like I now have 2 Shockwave codes. I got the one for preordering yesterday and I got the one to replace it today. So if someone wants to trade for the extra one let me know.

As for the game it looks like I wont be playing it till next weekend. However I still have splinter cell that came with my 360 and dead space that are both not even opened yet sitting under transformers.

Just "finished" Escalation... just got my 25,000 achievement and made it through Wave 15 for that achievement. We ultimately died on Wave 17.

No special tricks... just joined a random game, nobody had mics, and the only thing we did was stay together (though, where we stayed together was important, as you'll see below). We played on the Autobot map, we used Air Raid, Ratchet, Arcee, and I was Bumblebee. The scout's vehicle guns rip apart the enemy like nobodys business... you really don't need to buy any other guns, I sure didn't.

The only strategy we had was that they opened up the room with the overshield and nothing else after that. The map is a bit hard for me to describe, but it is to the right of where you start... there is an ammo dispenser down a long hallway with three openings, and when you unlock the door it leads to another room with the overshield.

Decepticons spawn from the room with the OS, and at the bottom... but they don't spawn from the top often, and if you stick as a group at the stairs / hallway, you can easily take them all out.

The bonus of this is that the jets don't come in the hallway (or in the OS room), and neither do the giant tank robots that spawn on Wave 15. You can shoot them but they can't even shoot you!

It took me a good 15 or so Escalation games to find a good team who knew how to play, but once I did it all clicked and we just followed each other's lead. I'm now done with the mode, I've gotten all I can out of it since I only like the Autobot map.

[quote name='poison_SHADOW']Whoa, where'd all the Beast Wars hate come from?[/QUOTE]

TRUKK NOT MONKEY!!!

It's the ever-present Transformers debate. G1 or Beast Wars. Mostly I think it depends on which decade you grew up, the 80s or 90s. Personally, I've only seen a handful of BW episodes. They seemed decent enough, but I never pursued them further.

And let's face it, to a great extent, G1 wasn't a quality cartoon. It's only held in such high regard by so many of us due to the nostalgia factor.

However, when it comes to the actual toys, there's pretty much no debate, G1 was better. :)

[quote name='Thomas96']This game is awesome... Its not perfect.. but dammit it gets the job done. That 9 from IGN was WELL deserved. I wish that they could do a game based on the original Transformers Movie..... Overall though, I had some complaints, but I was just being picking. The truth about this game is that it executes.. the action, the gameplay, the story, the characters, the banter between characters, original movie references... I can't believe [after all the previous horrible TF games] that this game exists.[/QUOTE]

Yep!

I love Transformers. I was a child of the 80s but Beast Wars was the far superior show to G1. One of the reasons is they didn't have random characters show up for an episode or two just to sell toys. BW also had a plot. G1 didn't get one until post TFTM and no one really cared for the new characters.

Go watch all of Transformers again especially Beast Wars and you'll see the flaws. Season 2 of Beast Wars has to be the best season ever. Now Beast Machines. That's shit. In either case, they're all apart of the same storyline. And the reason for that? It's because of Beast Wars.

I love this game!

[quote name='Morphx2']who the f* would buy the jazz code for $34[/QUOTE]

My son got Transformers War for Cybertron for xbox 360 and really loves it. It came with a code for a dlc Jazz character! We put it up on ebay to sell and we got $38 for it.
It paid for more then half the game. I still can't figure out why it went for so much. But it helped me pay for his game.

[quote name='BingoBrown']
And let's face it, to a great extent, G1 wasn't a quality cartoon. It's only held in such high regard by so many of us due to the nostalgia factor.
:)[/QUOTE]

G1 had great art, music, and especially voices. One of the most iconic vocal casts for a cartoon ever. It did not, however, have good writing... Except for the movie. But hey, what a movie!

Beast Wars had great writing to make up for the absolutely clunky 3D animation. But the robots weren't in disguise from anything, so transforming into a bunch of animals doesn't even make sense. And as you said, the toys aren't in the same league.

This game is probably the most anti-boostable multi I've seen. Holy moly. What a chore. You are better off playing legit just so theres at least a little variety.

[quote name='eastx']G1 had great art, music, and especially voices. One of the most iconic vocal casts for a cartoon ever. It did not, however, have good writing... Except for the movie. But hey, what a movie![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I suppose the vocals were pretty good. At least they were all generally pretty distinct. But the animation was terrible at times, and a lot of mistakes were made with it. And the plots were generally terrible as well. Remember how the Autobots could fly in robot form in the first few episodes, then magically lost that ability for the rest of the series? Strange.

Regardless, it was still a massive part of my childhood.

There needs to be some more chassis to choose from and a wider range of colors for multiplayer. I'd definitely spend a 400msp for some extra customization and a pair of maps.

Anyone seen how much the Demolisher codes are selling for on eBay? :hot:

Seriously, if you're not going to play multiplayer these character codes are useless. I should have just sold my Shockwave code.

[quote name='Rodimus']Seriously, if you're not going to play multiplayer these character codes are useless. I should have just sold my Shockwave code.[/QUOTE]

Well... yeah. They are multiplayer characters, it said so explicitly on Gamestop's website. I'm actually surprised that you can even use the chassis to create a multiplayer character, I thought it would be limited to Escalation mode only.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Well... yeah. They are multiplayer characters, it said so explicitly on Gamestop's website. I'm actually surprised that you can even use the chassis to create a multiplayer character, I thought it would be limited to Escalation mode only.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't read that. I walked into GS the day before release and preordered it (like I do with most of my preorders). I vaguely remembered the commercial with Megatron telling Shockwave "You're in command now Shockwave." It lead me to believe you could change out characters for story mode. Eh, it's my fault for not doing my research anyways.

[quote name='nnthomas']This game is probably the most anti-boostable multi I've seen. Holy moly. What a chore. You are better off playing legit just so theres at least a little variety.[/QUOTE]

The problem I have with this game is there aren't enough challenges... I'm at Scientist rank 14, Leader rank 5, the others at 0, and I've maxed out every General challenge and about 75% of the Scientist ones.

Without the boost from the general ones for the other classes, it'll be rough getting them up there.

[quote name='dastly75']Beast Wars rocks.[/QUOTE]

Yup, it was definitely my favorite series...and I grew up with G1.

-------------------

Oh man, I better sell my DLC codes before the hype is gone.

EDIT: All my 3 codes are scheduled to be up on eBay this afternoon.

[quote name='nnthomas']I did another session and I still havent maxed my first class :(
[/QUOTE]

Try to play Conquest - you get 150 points for each node you capture, and in an average game the nodes travel between hands a lot. At the end of one Conquest game I had a whopping 8,000 experience points from capturing nodes and killing people.

My multiplayer counter reads 5 hours and I'm starting to get tired of it. The maps all kind of blend into one another, and imo the unlocks in this game are horrible. No weapons, you've unlocked all the skills at level 4, everyones third perk is from the same list and a number of the perks that I've seen aren't too useful compared to some other ones. They really should have let you unlock chassis and such for leveling. As of right now, I keep killing the same looking guys, and that in part is leading to the repetition, along with the bland maps.

Also, the fact that people only play Team Deathmatch or Conquest for the most part isn't a lot of variety. Some of the weapons are vastly overpowered... I completely wreck people online with Drain + EMP Shotgun as a Scientist, along with a turret.

I read on the xbox360achievements.org forums it takes roughly 15 hours or so to hit 25 in one class.. that seems about right, I'm at 14 or 15 after 5 hours. I think after I hit the achievement for a combined class level of 50, I'll be done with this.

It's hard to describe for me what this game is missing, that other MP games seem to have, but I guess it's the fact it is too basic and there isn't any strategy involved with it is starting to turn me off. It was a ton of fun at first, but after the initial fun wears off there isn't a lot here. It's a shame too, because all the essential ingredients are here to make this recipe work, but the chef kind of half assed it.

[quote name='animalspinners']Try to play Conquest - you get 150 points for each node you capture, and in an average game the nodes travel between hands a lot. At the end of one Conquest game I had a whopping 8,000 experience points from capturing nodes and killing people.

My multiplayer counter reads 5 hours and I'm starting to get tired of it. The maps all kind of blend into one another, and imo the unlocks in this game are horrible. No weapons, you've unlocked all the skills at level 4, everyones third perk is from the same list and a number of the perks that I've seen aren't too useful compared to some other ones. They really should have let you unlock chassis and such for leveling. As of right now, I keep killing the same looking guys, and that in part is leading to the repetition, along with the bland maps.

Also, the fact that people only play Team Deathmatch or Conquest for the most part isn't a lot of variety. Some of the weapons are vastly overpowered... I completely wreck people online with Drain + EMP Shotgun as a Scientist, along with a turret.

I read on the xbox360achievements.org forums it takes roughly 15 hours or so to hit 25 in one class.. that seems about right, I'm at 14 or 15 after 5 hours. I think after I hit the achievement for a combined class level of 50, I'll be done with this.

It's hard to describe for me what this game is missing, that other MP games seem to have, but I guess it's the fact it is too basic and there isn't any strategy involved with it is starting to turn me off. It was a ton of fun at first, but after the initial fun wears off there isn't a lot here. It's a shame too, because all the essential ingredients are here to make this recipe work, but the chef kind of half assed it.[/QUOTE]

15 hours for level 25? I was going to go for a perfect 1000/1000, but now I'll probably pass. I punish myself too much with achievements as it is. Replaying games on higher difficulties when really I should just move on.

Demolisher code seems to be only one holding its value. Still around $40-$50 while the other 2 have tapered off.

[quote name='paddlefoot']15 hours for level 25? I was going to go for a perfect 1000/1000, but now I'll probably pass. I punish myself too much with achievements as it is. Replaying games on higher difficulties when really I should just move on.
[/QUOTE]

The guy who posted on xbox360a said his counter read 20 hours when he hit Level 25 in his first class, doing nothing but Team Deathmatch. He said that the timer might count the times you're inactive in the menu, so shave off a few hours for him leaving the game idle, so around 15... that's just a rough estimate. He said he also only did one class until he maxed it.

If you do Conquest, it *should* go quicker... but by the second, third, and fourth classes you are no longer getting the boosts from the general challenges (assuming you've capped them all, which you probably will) so those will go slower.

For me though, too many host disconnects and too much lag might make me quit long before I get to that point. I've lost countless exp gains from "Host has timed out" or "Host has quit the game" and I really hope the patch is coming asap.

The only thing I want them to sort out is the constant environment collisions I've had; this includes the campaign and multi player. I was speeding round a corner near a piece of debris and magically bounced off some invisible wall shit and as such was killed by my pursuer.

I have only had the game a while or so, so I can't really say whether its good or bad in certain respects, but I do like the way the killstreaks and such are set out. It may be basic, but I think its better that way because then we don't have these glory-holes like in Modern Warfare who ruin it for everyone else by going for stupid Nukes and such.

[quote name='animalspinners']Try to play Conquest - you get 150 points for each node you capture, and in an average game the nodes travel between hands a lot. At the end of one Conquest game I had a whopping 8,000 experience points from capturing nodes and killing people.

It's hard to describe for me what this game is missing, that other MP games seem to have, but I guess it's the fact it is too basic and there isn't any strategy involved with it is starting to turn me off. It was a ton of fun at first, but after the initial fun wears off there isn't a lot here. It's a shame too, because all the essential ingredients are here to make this recipe work, but the chef kind of half assed it.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much that is everything I have been saying about the multiplayer but people defend it because Peter Cullen is the announcer. The other thing about the multiplayer that blows is how half of the games I join are laggy pieces of shit. The diversity of the characters for classes like the leader are shit too. Oh and know how theres like one good weapon and ability per class? That's not fun either. I really wish I could be the scientist and have a good weapon since all I wanna do is rack up kills while being able to fly.

[quote name='Thorgouge']Pretty much that is everything I have been saying about the multiplayer but people defend it because Peter Cullen is the announcer. The other thing about the multiplayer that blows is how half of the games I join are laggy pieces of shit. The diversity of the characters for classes like the leader are shit too. Oh and know how theres like one good weapon and ability per class? That's not fun either. I really wish I could be the scientist and have a good weapon since all I wanna do is rack up kills while being able to fly.[/QUOTE]

EMP Shotgun is the Scientist's good weapon... couple that with Drain, and people drop for me like flies. At far away range, I use the Photon Rifle for headshots.

And yea, lately I've run into a TON of lag in my matches, and tonight it's been dropping me back to the main menu saying the WFC server could not be contacted, losing all experience in the process.

But yea, every solider uses the minigun, every leader uses the fusion cannon, and every solider uses the scatter blaster + cloak. You're right, there may be a lot of weapons but there sure as hell isn't a lot of variety. Like I said earlier, all the ingredients are there to make a good MP, but the chef just wasn't skilled enough to mix them together properly.

With boosting, on a good run, you can break 10000 XP in Conquest (which is how you boost).

Still, it is a huge tiresome grind. I wasnt expecting it to be easy but my god it is so boring.

I maxed Scout today, and went from 0 - 18 on a Scientist. It's all easy until you get to the upper teens, then it starts to take 3-4 matches to level up once.

I second the people saying Conquest is where you level up. I have been playing for fun, not for anything else and I average around 2,000 - 6,500 xp a match. Granted I consider myself pretty decent at this game and usually get the most points per match, but either way you should still be getting a better amount of xp than you would in any Deathmatch variant.

Seems since the patch released that nine times out of ten I'll clip through the floor and die after jumping down from a higher level in Autobots Escalation mode. It's aggravating as hell.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Double XP starting Friday @ 6pm ?ST - Sunday July 4th.

via Gameinformer.com[/QUOTE]

fucking awesome.

2x exp will make it real easy to level, even in the later levels doing conquest.

I will probably spend one last weekend playing this game non stop before I shelve it, rather than shelving it now.

bread's done
Back