Traveling Abroad to China & Korea

SadieDee

CAGiversary!
I'm looking into a trip abroad for the summer (3 weeks ~ 2 in China and 1 in Korea) at my university. I could pick a trip to India instead, but right now I'm really leaning towards the China one. If I go, what are some tips/things I should keep in mind? I would obviously be a foreigner there since I'm of European decent and I don't know Chinese. The cities I would be going to are Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai, the Henan Providence, Seoul, Busan, and the DMZ. The trip is largely an educational experience and I will be visiting the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, the Summer Palace, Tiananmen Square, Mao's Mauseleum, the Terra Cotta Warriors, the Yellow River, and some companies in Korea among other things.

They'll be some opportunities for shopping. I would like to know if there are some items that I should absolutely pick up there and I can't get anywhere else. I live near Cleveland and we do have a small "Chinatown" but it's been a while since I've visited it. I was probably 10 the last time I went and I just remember a lot of seafood, jade statues, and "Hello Kitty!" stuff. I might go again this weekend.

I will be rooming with some other people (some non-students) so I don't want to be taking my precious, I'll-Die-If-I-Loose-It GBA SP on the plane ride over. I have some GBC games, so I'm thinking of buying a used GBC to use for the trip, what are some more games I should get? I do have a regular GBA, but I wouldn't want to lose that either. If I'm going to be looking at a dark screen, I'd rather look at the GBC's screen.

Should I take anything else besides the obvious?

Thanks!

[quote name='drunk7daysaweek']sars masks[/quote]

At first I was going to ask you if "Sar's Mask" was a game and for which console it was. Anyway, I actually totally forgot about it. I haven't heard more about SARS since early last year but I'm sure it's still a possibility. I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring a mask a long, it's not like it would weigh/cost that much.

Thanks for the link GreyDemise

You won't get sars, it's not in any population at the moment. Unless you want to look like a stupid tourist don't take the mask. Also, if you're chinatown is anything like the boston one (poor and old), that's probablt not a good idea of what to expect in a wealthy city such as shanghai. The reason I say that is they have a large middle class in those cities, bringing malls, fashion, pop culture etc.

Blah, SARS Shmars! A disease similar to a cold that kills less than 10% of the people infected and is responsible for less than 1/10th number of deaths than the average flu? Don't buy into the hype. Nobody remembers SARS over there anymore and nobody wears masks. You'll just look like a fool if you do.

Anyway, I've lived in Cleveland(went to high school there on the east side, near Orange, Pepper Pike, Beachwood, etc) and my parents are still there. The Chinatown in Cleveland or pretty much any city here in America is NOT a good representation of Asia. And Korea is drastically different from China. Even in China, Shanghai is very different from Beijing, and so on and so forth(remember that China is a huge country, and people speak different languages and have different customs and cuisines in different parts).

I've been to many parts of the world and have pretty much lived in both China and Korea(lived in Korea, took multiple trips to China, mostly Shanghai, and stayed with friends' families for over a month at a time). So I can offer you some tips, advices, and what to expect. I'll put them in a couple of extra posts right after I go get some food...

Things to know for China

-In open markets or with streetside vendors, ALWAYS HAGGLE. It's not being cheap, it's just the way things are done over there. You can't haggle in department stores, corporate-owned chains, or other fancy/organized places, but in open markets and small privately-owned or family-run stores, you can always haggle(pretty much whereever there are no price tags). A good rule to follow is to take their opening price and offer to pay 1/3rd of it and then work your way up to about half. But keep in mind that being a foreigner, you're always going to be paying at least twice as much as a local. The shop people will always open with a much higher price on an item with a foreigner and they'll be more stubborn. It's ok though, since everything's so much cheaper in China. Also, a lot of Chinese people in the Shanghai markets and tourists attractions understand basic English numbers and haggling terms like "too much," "expensive," "bad," "good," etc. Here's a basic outline of what you should do:

You: "How much is this?"
Shop owner: "200 yuan"
You: *surprised face* "THAT much? That's way too expensive! How about 60?"
Shop owner: "60? You crazy? I have a family" *swears in Chinese*
You: *start pointing out little flaws in the product - even if you absolutely love it, never act like you really like it* "But there's this scratch here. It looks like a chip. And the color's weird here, blah blah"
Shop owner: *Usually at this point, he'll try to praise the product - oh this is pure silk, this is hand made, yadda yadda* "Ok ok, how about 160 yuan?"
You: "That's still way too much. I was really hoping for 60. Maybe 70"
Shop Owner: "No no no, 70 too little! 150 yuan"
You: "But the guy over there had the same thing, and he sold it to someone for 70."
Shop Owner: "It no same thing! He a friend, he get discount. Ok ok 140 yuan, final price" (they say final price all the time - it's not)
You: *Start walking away slowly from the store* "Never mind. Thank you though"
Shop Owner: *Starts yelling prices toward you as you walk away* "Ok ok 120 yuan, 110 yuan, 100, 100!"
You: *Turn back and go buy it* "Alright, 100 is fine. Thank you."

The walking away works pretty well. It's all about timing and persistence. Just remember to be polite as well. Be patient, persistent, and don't be a dick and they'll usually give you a nice price with no hard feelings. And remember that a lot of the places sell similar items, so you can always go to a different store 10 feet away and try again.

-Keep in mind that when you're traveling with a tour group, you're NOT going to experience any of the authentic Chinese cuisine. You'll be fed the same Americanized crap you find in the states, like battered and fried chicken in heavy sauce, lots of boring fried rice, etc. I went to some provinces with a tour group a couple of times and it was horrible. At one place they actually gave us French fries. fucking FRENCH FRIES in China! If you want authentic cuisine(and please, keep an open mind - they have a lot of great dishes that so many foreigners are afraid to try, which is a shame), you're better off going out to local places in small groups on your own. Ask the hotel people or the local guide for recommendations. Beijing is well known for hot pots, especially the lamb meat hot pots. You should definitely try it. Shanghai is much more international and has a lot of foreign businessmen, so it's easier to find foods from all over China and Taiwan there. But as far as local food goes, try the drunken chicken, the Shanghai crabs, pigeons, and crab/meat dumplings. The fish is pretty good too. Also, find a nice dim sum place and a nice Taiwanese restaurant to try in Shanghai; it's worth it.

-Take extra film, compactflash, whatever it is you use. There's a lot to see and you'll probably take hundreds of pictures. And like most touristy places, the films and digital cam memory sticks are a total ripoff.

-Don't drink the tap water in China if you can help it. And don't eat really cheap looking street food either. They don't have proper water treatment and food sanitation in a lot of the parts. The locals have the immune system for it, you don't. The last thing you want is to get sick(the water and street food in Korea are pretty safe though).

-If you're not with a tour guide who'll explain everything, get an audio guide at the big sites like the Forbidden City(the audio guide in Forbidden City is narrated by Roger Moore of the James Bond films - extra points for cool). It helps make the tour better since you're not just staring at random things without knowing what they mean.

-When you go to the Great Wall, bring plenty of water. Some popular parts of the wall have many watchtowers that you can climb up, and it's a hell of a climb. I went to the 8 tower something something where you have to climb the wall until you get to the 8th tower at the top of the peak. My tour was only stopping for little over an hour, so I pretty much ran to the top. It's optional and only a few people make it all the way but it was definitely worth it. So bring a big water bottle.

-Don't tip anyone in China unless it's in a highly western setting(like at a Hyatt with many English speaking staff, maybe). It's not customary to tip in restaurants, cabs, or anywhere and it's understood as being included anyway. In some cases(especially in Japan and sometimes in Korea), people will get offended if you tip - they sort of take it as you saying "You did a terrible job. Here, I'll pay you extra so you can do your job better."

-Shanghai is very international and very modern. You'll probably feel more comfortable there. There are a LOT of foreigners(30% growth in foreign population annually). There are also many new tall buildings with nice architecture. Check out the Jin Mao tower and the Bund near the water. If you go out at night, there are many nice clubs near the Bund at all the hotels or at Xin Tian Di(also has nice restaurants and shops). Those will be more pricey though. But if you go to a local club, you might be solicited quite a bit by young prostitute types depending on the area. And oh, Shanghai is REALLY REALLY HOT and humid during the summer. Be prepared. Shanghai also has a drastic wealth spectrum from megarich foreign businessmen and real estate tycoons to the millions of people who came into Shanghai from the surrounding poor regions in search of a job, which creates some interesting social dynamics and problems.

-Beijing is very different. It's very traditional and there are many more old tourist sites and temples. There aren't that many tall or modern buildings. In fact, tall building over 50 stories or so were prohibited by the whimsical Chinese government after 9/11. Oh yeah, the traffic is RIDICULOUSLY BAD in Beijing. Because of the SARS scare a couple of years ago and the fact that cars became more affordable recently, many people who were afraid of public cabs got their own cars the past year, making traffic unbearable.

That's it for now for China. I'll post more if I remember later.

Things to know for Korea

-Korea is much more similar to Taiwan than China. It's smaller and it's been open to democracy, capitalism, and western influence longer, so you might find the people to be easier to talk to or ask questions to there. Seoul is pretty much an Asian version of New York City, with notable cultural differences of course.

-When you get off your plane, you might want to rent a cell phone from the airport. It's very easy and pretty cheap in Korea. If you're always with a big tour group, you probably won't need it. But if you need to stay in contact with your friends or other groups, it'll be useful. Just rent one from the airport and return it when you leave the country.

-Like in China, you don't tip in Korea. You can also haggle in Korean open markets, but not as much as you can in China. And pretty much everything is much cheaper in China anyway, so if you think you can get something in China, get it there instead. Also, they'll have a lot of fake brand merchandise. You can tell these by the exorbitantly low price they offer for them. Fake Rolex watches, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Prada bags and clothes are very common. There are different grades of fake merchandise as well. If you get an "A" grade fake bag or watch, even industry professionals have a hard time telling it apart from the real thing.

-In Seoul, take the subway to any place you want to go. The subway system in Seoul is very clean, very safe, convenient, and cheap. Just avoid it during the morning and evening rush hours because you'll be smothered in a sea of businessmen going to work.

-Korea has a lot more spicy food than China. If you can't handle spice, make sure you ask before you order.

-The big central museum in Seoul is worth checking out. Also, the various palaces are pretty as well. One place I'd highly recommend is the Hangook(Korean) Minsokchon(dunno about the English spelling). It's a town that is a simulated replica of the traditional life in Korea hundreds of years ago - like a village preserved in a time capsule.

-Korea is 2/3rd mountainous. The mountains are beautiful and worth checking out if you like the outdoors. Sul-ahk-san(again, not sure about spelling) is a popular spot.

-I don't know when you're going to Korea, but if you go toward the later part of summer, be prepared for a LOT of rain. Korea typically has a rainy season in the summer that can last for a month or so.

-You said you were going to the DMZ. Don't step on landmines or claymores :D And oh yeah, try not to make shooting motions at the guards.

-Unlike China, Korea has like 10 internet cafes or "PC Bang"s on every street. So don't worry about internet access in Korea. It's only a few steps and a dollar away.

-Get comfortable walking shoes. You're gonna be walking a lot since everything's so closeby. Also, watch out when you cross busy streets. You'll notice that the drivers in Asia are a lot less careful around pedestrians than they are in the states. And if you're in a car and sitting in the driver's seat or the passenger seat, always put on your seatbelt. It's not so much for safety but for avoiding fines. The seatbelt law is very strict and they actually have people who take pictures of cars and send it to the police so they can fine you. So just put on the belt before the cabbie gets annoyed and asks you to do it in Korean.

Well, that's about it for now, I guess. Just remember to keep an open mind and enjoy the experience. All the Asian countries are unique and definitely worth seeing at least once. It's an eye opening experience to many people. Enjoy and have a safe trip!

Okay, I'll forget the Sars stuff. A little bit of my worry was if I did get it, since it's related to the Avian flu, my bird could get sick when I get home. He's pretty old, but I guess it's also a somewhat irrational fear now that I read up about it. The media likes to exaggerate news stories I guess (Yea, I know, a big "DUH" for me, I shouldn't write posts first thing in the morning! lol).

The reason that I mentioned Cleveland's China Town was that I don't want to buy something abroad that I could just drive a half hour and easily get in my own state. I know it's not a good representation of Asia, but I wanted to go there just to see what I shouldn't buy as a souviner. When my brother visited Korea, he bought some nice laser etched crystal pieces. Too bad you can get the same thing at an American Dollar Tree. Ironically, I bought some for him as a "coming-home" gift. He was away for a year. He was really bummed when I told him where I got mine. ;-)

I will be with a tour group but it will be an university sponsored trip and we will be staying at colleges throughout China. They will be where we will be feed. At the orientation, they actually showed some pictures of some of the dishes and the ones I remember were silk worm larvae with rice and chicken feet stew.

They also explained the water situation. It was actually a rather big concern for me since I get kidney stones and ***need*** to carry a bottle of water with me. How are the bathrooms there? Having kidney stones is like being pregnant at times. Damn genetics. Luckily I haven't had a serious problem in a couple years. It's something I sort of learned to live with.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! for writing so much about China/Korea. Reading that has been helpful. I'll remember not to make shooting motions at the guards at the DMZ :whistle2:D Where you over in China/Korea because you had a job there or were in the military? or were you just backpacking?

Thanks!

(slightly off topic) I wish I wasn't american, I want to go to north korea. I remember the government tour guides (which you have to take) even ask if your vegetarian, which would avoid some more non western meat such as chicken and pigs feets.

[quote name='SadieDee']Okay, I'll forget the Sars stuff. A little bit of my worry was if I did get it, since it's related to the Avian flu, my bird could get sick when I get home. He's pretty old, but I guess it's also a somewhat irrational fear now that I read up about it. The media likes to exaggerate news stories I guess (Yea, I know, a big "DUH" for me, I shouldn't write posts first thing in the morning! lol).

The reason that I mentioned Cleveland's China Town was that I don't want to buy something abroad that I could just drive a half hour and easily get in my own state. I know it's not a good representation of Asia, but I wanted to go there just to see what I shouldn't buy as a souviner. When my brother visited Korea, he bought some nice laser etched crystal pieces. Too bad you can get the same thing at an American Dollar Tree. Ironically, I bought some for him as a "coming-home" gift. He was away for a year. He was really bummed when I told him where I got mine. ;-)

I will be with a tour group but it will be an university sponsored trip and we will be staying at colleges throughout China. They will be where we will be feed. At the orientation, they actually showed some pictures of some of the dishes and the ones I remember were silk worm larvae with rice and chicken feet stew.

They also explained the water situation. It was actually a rather big concern for me since I get kidney stones and ***need*** to carry a bottle of water with me. How are the bathrooms there? Having kidney stones is like being pregnant at times. Damn genetics. Luckily I haven't had a serious problem in a couple years. It's something I sort of learned to live with.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! for writing so much about China/Korea. Reading that has been helpful. I'll remember not to make shooting motions at the guards at the DMZ :whistle2:D Where you over in China/Korea because you had a job there or were in the military? or were you just backpacking?

Thanks![/quote]

Don't mention it. It's always a pleasure to help someone who's willing to travel the world and broaden one's perspective. It's one of the most important things you can do while you're young. I think every American should live outside of the U.S. for a few months to get an idea of what it's like.

As for bathrooms, they can range from a hole in the ground to a very nice bathroom with attendants. I wouldn't worry too much in the city, but if you're going to more rural areas, you might want to bring a little pack of tissue just in case. Oh, and carry some change around. Sometimes the public bathrooms outside the city in China have a little booth in the front that collects 1 cent or so for using the bathroom. They might charge you for tissue too.

Chicken feet stew is pretty good if made right. You don't eat the whole foot of course, you just eat the skin off it, which tastes pretty much like chicken skin from any other part. Silkworm larvae isn't as disgusting as it sounds. You know the inside kernel part of a popcorn that becomes soggy and grany if you put a lot of popcorn in your mouth and keep chewing it till the white fluffy part disappears? That's what it sorta feels like, a bit crunchy and a bit grany but pretty soft. I had so many weird dishes that I can't remember. I really liked Shanghai style shark fin soup. I also had bird's nest soup, which uses the saliva that birds use to make their nests with. That was about the only dish I absolutely disliked. It's an expensive delicacy but it tasted like sulfur to me.

As far as my background, I lived in Korea for a while and I have college friends who have families all over Asia and visit back often. My girlfriend was born in Taiwan but she's lived in Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, New England, New York(where I met her in undergrad), and now Michigan. Her parents are in Shanghai now and I've been a guest at their house twice. I don't have much money, but I try to travel and visit other places whenever I can. In high school I scraped up enough money to stay with a host family in Grenoble, France for a month and loved it. The last time I went to China was about a month and a half ago. I also went to Korea for 2 months a couple of years ago when my sister got married. She lives in NYC but her husband's from Korea and they met while studying at NYU film school. You've gotta do it when you're younger and have some time, because once you get a job and a regular schedule, even vacations become work.

bread's done
Back