Trick R Treat finally here!!! 10/6 Where are the deals??!!!

I preordered both this and Drag Me To Hell a few weeks ago on Amazon (haven't seen either), but I'm not even going to watch them until Halloween. I heard this movie is fucking awesome. Like the movie "Go!" but with a Halloween/horror theme.

[quote name='doctorthodt']Gonna use the $15 gc I get from Snow White at BB to put toward Trick 'R Treat, which will make it only $10.[/QUOTE]

Snow White is $25 at BB if you preorder it from TRU at 19.99 and use the $10 coupon posted in the Snow White thread and you get a $5 GC to TRU for preordering, then you get Snow White for $10 and a $5 TRU GC.

[quote name='cag1000']Snow White is $25 at BB if you preorder it from TRU at 19.99 and use the $10 coupon posted in the Snow White thread and you get a $5 GC to TRU for preordering, then you get Snow White for $10 and a $5 TRU GC.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy is a much better deal for me because I want to buy Pinocchio as well. At Best Buy, Snow White ($10) + Pinocchio ($30) is $40 out of pocket and I get a $15 gc. At TRU, Snow White ($10) + Pinocchio ($25 after the $5 gc) is $35 out of pocket and I have nothing to show for it.

I saw the movie a year ago and thought it was great. Its sad it never got a huge theatre release,but you can only kill so many kids in a movie without all the mothers of America getting pissed so I understand.

[quote name='doctorthodt']Best Buy is a much better deal for me because I want to buy Pinocchio as well. At Best Buy, Snow White ($10) + Pinocchio ($30) is $40 out of pocket and I get a $15 gc. At TRU, Snow White ($10) + Pinocchio ($25 after the $5 gc) is $35 out of pocket and I have nothing to show for it.[/QUOTE]

how do you get snow white at best buy for $10? i thought its 15 after coupon

I've seen the movie (thank you Bit Torrent), and I must say that it didn't live up to the hype or reviews I've read. Having said that, if you're a horror movie fan like I am, you'll eat it up. Had I not read anything about it, and just watched it, I think I would have enjoyed it more than I did. However, it's quite clever, and definitely deserved a October movie theater release. I will say that it's better than 95% of the horror movies released anymore, but it's not a "classic" as some reviewers have said.

[quote name='drevel']Awesome movie saw it last week. Really cool how each story is pieced togethor.[/QUOTE]

Without giving anything away, I do agree with you about the ending (or was it the ending?) of the film. It has that Pulp Fiction approach to it in that you're given different pieces of the puzzle, then it all comes together at the end.

Not really sure of any deals, but if you buy the Blu-ray version, you get a $25 gift card for Sideshow Collectibles online store. They have a vinyl 15" figurine of Sam that's $60, so it'd be $35 with the gift card. As you can see below, it's not some cheap figure. It's quite epic!

2czvp01.jpg

If the sideshow figure is too overpriced, you can always buy the NECA one, it has everything you'd want (including an alternate head) for a small fraction of the price:

Amazon has it for $15.99 w/FSSS or you can look for it at F.Y.E. or Spencer's.

Great another sideshow gift card I wont use. I still have the one that came with the skynet edition of T2 some place.

I thought the movie was pretty great. Sure there's a few mis-steps here and there but the director really gets the genre. A good mix of suspense and comedy that comes together well. Sam is a pretty awesome looking guy too.
Not to mention that werewolf transformation scene is incredible.
Don't click until you watch.

Are Blockbuster stores carrying this? I tried to find it on their website, and all my local stores say "does not carry this title." Also, it looks like Redbox doesn't have it either.
I might just have to buy the damn thing.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']I've seen the movie (thank you Bit Torrent), and I must say that it didn't live up to the hype or reviews I've read. Having said that, if you're a horror movie fan like I am, you'll eat it up. Had I not read anything about it, and just watched it, I think I would have enjoyed it more than I did. However, it's quite clever, and definitely deserved a October movie theater release. I will say that it's better than 95% of the horror movies released anymore, but it's not a "classic" as some reviewers have said.[/QUOTE]
I am a horror movie fan, but I agree with LeonSKennedy on this one. I caught this at a festival months ago. Don't get your hopes up too high for this. It was definitely "overhyped". The hype was due to the multiple "push backs" on the release and not the movie itself (if you wait for something long enough, it's bound to be good, no matter what it actually is). Don't get me wrong, it was a good (not great) movie and very entertaining, but not even close to the likes of Martyrs or Let the Right One In, in terms of horror.

I'm happy it's finally released, but I do feel while we're screwing around making horror/comedies, remakes (NOT RE-IMAGININGS...REMAKES) and sequels, the French (I'm not a "French Fry) and other countries are kicking our butts making great TRUE horror movies.

Having just finished it, I'm gladly putting it in the "classic" category. I'm sure a lot of the hype is a backlash to the constant stream of splatterpunk crap (along with its troubled history), but this movie was certainly the best Halloween-based flick I've ever seen, and it deserves the praise it's getting. It was clever, and most importantly entertaining, and I haven't seen a horror movie do that in a long, long time.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']I've seen the movie (thank you Bit Torrent), and I must say that it didn't live up to the hype or reviews I've read. Having said that, if you're a horror movie fan like I am, you'll eat it up. Had I not read anything about it, and just watched it, I think I would have enjoyed it more than I did. However, it's quite clever, and definitely deserved a October movie theater release. I will say that it's better than 95% of the horror movies released anymore, but it's not a "classic" as some reviewers have said.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of this "classic" talk depends on your view of the holiday. To me, the quintessential Halloween movie is Something Wicked This Way Comes. It sort of embodies all the great things about fall, and being a kid, and does a great job of sort of recapturing all that.

Trick R Treat does something very similar, though more akin to my teenage years. It's beautiful to watch, lovingly crafted with an eye on what makes Halloween "Halloween", and simply a fun reminder of the season. It's definitely a movie I'll come back to watch every year around Halloween, which I think is how I would define a holiday classic.

I'll disagree with some of the reviews, though. I wouldn't let my nine year old watch it like some people suggest. I was thinking that this was going to be some sort of Bradbury-inspired bit of cinema, but it's definitely for adults only. Lots o' blood, and a sprinkling of nudity make sure it stays that way.

I ordered the normal DVD from amazon and coupled it with the Sam Action Figure to get free shipping. I'm pretty pleased with that just because I thought Sam was a really cool character in the movie.

[quote name='techstar25']Are Blockbuster stores carrying this? I tried to find it on their website, and all my local stores say "does not carry this title." Also, it looks like Redbox doesn't have it either.
I might just have to buy the damn thing.[/QUOTE]

Don't know if Blockbuster has it...but at my store Hollywood Video we have about 9 copies for rental release today, Tuesday.

I like how Best Buy had it listed for $27.99 in store and I had to convince them to manually adjust it to match their website price ... what a great company ;-p

And this is why I never feel bad throwing BB's price match policy back in their face at all times

This is the best deal I could find...

Order Trick R Treat and 1 other Blu-Ray from WBShop.com and apply this coupon:

REWARD25

Together with a $20 Blu-Ray, it ends up being $40 shipped (about $5 off). You must order 2 Blu-Rays to get free shipping. If you get your order total before coupons over $50, you can also use this coupon:

CABINWB

for an additional $5 discount. Sadly, tax keeps it from costing much less than Amazon no matter what.

(Another coupon that is valid but won't apply to most Blu-Rays is XB992 ).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Springheeled Jack']I think a lot of this "classic" talk depends on your view of the holiday. To me, the quintessential Halloween movie is Something Wicked This Way Comes. It sort of embodies all the great things about fall, and being a kid, and does a great job of sort of recapturing all that.

Trick R Treat does something very similar, though more akin to my teenage years. It's beautiful to watch, lovingly crafted with an eye on what makes Halloween "Halloween", and simply a fun reminder of the season. It's definitely a movie I'll come back to watch every year around Halloween, which I think is how I would define a holiday classic.

I'll disagree with some of the reviews, though. I wouldn't let my nine year old watch it like some people suggest. I was thinking that this was going to be some sort of Bradbury-inspired bit of cinema, but it's definitely for adults only. Lots o' blood, and a sprinkling of nudity make sure it stays that way.[/QUOTE]

In terms of movies that are made today (Saw and all the numerous horror movie remakes), this is one of the better ones (I've yet to watch Drag Me To Hell, but have heard good things about it). But it's nowhere near a "classic" in my mind. To me, classics are horror movies like "Halloween", "Night of the Living Dead", and the original "Dawn of the Dead" just to name three.

As I said before, had I saw this "blind", I'd have thought it was much better than it was. I kept waiting for that "wow this is great" moment, and sadly it never happened. Having said that, the movie was very clever, and definitely justified an October release in the theaters. If you're looking for a 9/10 or better film, this isn't it. It's definitely a 7 or 7.5 out of 10 though.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']In terms of movies that are made today (Saw and all the numerous horror movie remakes), this is one of the better ones (I've yet to watch Drag Me To Hell, but have heard good things about it). But it's nowhere near a "classic" in my mind. To me, classics are horror movies like "Halloween", "Night of the Living Dead", and the original "Dawn of the Dead" just to name three.

As I said before, had I saw this "blind", I'd have thought it was much better than it was. I kept waiting for that "wow this is great" moment, and sadly it never happened. Having said that, the movie was very clever, and definitely justified an October release in the theaters. If you're looking for a 9/10 or better film, this isn't it. It's definitely a 7 or 7.5 out of 10 though.[/QUOTE]

Again, I think it just depends on what you're wanting out of it, and what you want from a horror movie. This movie isn't about scares... It's about recreating a sense of Halloween that most have either forgotten or never knew, and making something entertaining out of it. In this sense, it succeeds well beyond any movies that have come out in decades, and personally I think it does a much better job of that than Living Dead or Halloween ever did for me. It's fun, and clever, and entertaining in ways that horror movies simply don't seem to want to be, anymore, which is why you keep hearing about it being a throwback to simpler times, and why people keep calling it a "classic", I think. In ten years, I'll still want to watch this movie over, again, and I think that says a lot about it.

You're right in that it has that "old-fashioned" approach to it. The writing was good, and the acting was stellar. I'm guessing the reason it was never released in the theaters is because it's not an easy film to market. What I mean by that (and I still feel it was an idiotic decision not to) is what demographic would be interested in it? The "Saw crowd" would find it boring, as would the "slasher fans". This film is almost the equivalent of a fine wine being served at a college dorm. The audience who is most likely to watch it won't find it compelling enough. Having said this, I think it'll have a cult following down the road, and is definitely a "word of mouth" type film.

I remember watching a trailer for it on some DVD last year (Possibly rob zombie "Halloween"?) then forgot all about it....fast forward, then this topic pops up, I throw it in my Netflix Queue. I just finished watching it, very very very good seasonal movie, classic. I will come back to this around halloween again.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Weird. Well, the movie just came out today, and they announced the deal on their official Twitter. It may take some time to actually show up.[/QUOTE]

What the other person was trying to tell you was that the giftcards only work on certain items from Sideshow. If it is not on that list, the giftcard does not apply.

[quote name='LeRoy']Local Best Buy sold out quick.[/QUOTE]
According to the BB website, my store sold out too. They had it yesterday afternoon. Shoot.
I just got a $5 reward zone coupon in the mail too and I was going to grab it on my lunch break today.

I also give it a 7. I went ahead and watched it again last night. The thing with the movie is, all the stories have been done before, just not over a "Halloween" theme and in 1 movie. It's really not original, but entertaining and updated with children and hot chicks.

I think the reason for the delay is the simple fact it's not a "solid money making" movie (nor a known franchise) to show in movie theatres. If I were an exec at a big studio, I would have "balked" on it and given it a dvd release also. Movies just aren't cranked out. Millions of dollars would have been spent on a marketing campaign and other things. If this would have come out in the theatres (years ago when the hype wasn't there) and more than likely tanked, someone would have lost their job.

The same thing can be applied to Clive Barker's Midnight Meat Train. It seems now if studios are worried they won't turn a profit on a movie and have a contractual agreement to show the movie in theatres, they'll just hold the movie hostage or in limbo to get us Horror Movie Fans "amped up", then releasing it. In MMT's case, they found a loophole and popped it into $1.50-$2 movie theatres nationwide.

When you hear the words "delayed, pushed back, etc", like in the video game world, 8 times out of 10, that is not a good sign.

MMT wasn't that great either.

DMTH? I saw this when it first came out, it was called "Thinner".

Last edited by a moderator:
2 Walmarts, Best Buy, Borders, Target, FYE, and not one of them had it in stock. Most of them said they didn't even get a single copy in. So I sucked it up and ordered it from Amazon, guess I'll have to wait a while to see it. Oh well, I've already been waiting about 2 years, what's a few more days? I threw TCM remake and Creepshow on the order too, might as well make it a Halloween marathon when they come in.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']What the other person was trying to tell you was that the giftcards only work on certain items from Sideshow. If it is not on that list, the giftcard does not apply.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I understood that. I'm just saying they (Trick R Treat twitter) officially announced the deal and the DVD/Blu-ray just came out so maybe the site hasn't adjusted to it yet. It also looks like the figurine won't be ready to ship until December.. maybe that has something to do with it. :cry:

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']
DMTH? I saw this when it first came out, it was called "Thinner".[/QUOTE]

Drag Me to Hell is at least twice as fun as Thinner. Nothing in your post indicates that you like originality in horror movies, which is also indicative of the primary horror audience, I think.

Long wait on Netflix. I guess WB underestimated the demand for this movie or the retailer just didn't order enough.

bread's done
Back