Tritton AX720 at BestBuy 129.99

spiderdog

CAGiversary!
Just was at Bestbuy and bought a pair of Tritton AX720 headphones.
They are going for 129 dollars. I have a pair of the AX360 and these blow them away. You can really tell were other players in games are coming from which direction. These are not even on their website yet. So if you are looking for a pair they got them in now.

Well guys, just got back from BB. Returned the TB X41's and walked away with two headsets,... the Logitech G35's and the Tritton AX Pro's. Well actually I had to order the Trittons from BB Online, but we did that at the store. Got the G35's for $89.99 based on a price match with Sears on line pricing. That's right, Sears has them for $99.99 with a 10% discount if you buy by the end of today (09/12/09) http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00398313000P?keyword=Logitech+G35&sLevel=0 bringing them down to $89.99. Plus, BB gave me a 20% discount on the AX Pro's, bringing them down to $127.99. BB's online price for the AX Pro still comes up as $169.99 on the web, but their scan price punches out $159.99. Guess the BB webmasters are a little behind in their work. LOL! Anyway, both headsets came to a total of $217.98, only $17.99 more than the X41's by themselves. Ask me how long it took for me to jump on that? Best part of all, the BB CS manager got off the phone with BB online and granted me a further gift of free Air Express shipping. So I'm should be getting my AX Pro's in by at least Tuesday. All for 18 bucks more than I paid for the X41. I'm done with this project, feeling I got the best of both worlds A quality True 5.1 headset for the Xbox and as an addition to my home theater setup, and one of the best sounding gaming headsets on the shelves so far for my PC gaming, music, and Rosetta Stone. Sears also is selling the TB X41 for $179.99 for those interested. Didn't see AX 720's,... don't think they have a relationship with Tritton. I didn't see anything from Tritton on their site. However, Walmart on line is selling the AX 720 for $109.99. You won't see them on their site yet, you have to call their 1-800 and request them. Be sure to tell the phone rep you're requesting manufacturer's model# TRI-AX720, or else they prolly won't know what you're talking about. It's almost like Tritton and BB has an exclusive or something,... kinda like Apple and AT&T with the iPhone. But that they have them in their warehouse indicates that they will soon by put up on their site along with the AX Pro, AX 5.1 Pro, and the AXPC Pro they alreay have on their site. http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...=Tritton+AX+720&Find.x=21&Find.y=11&Find=Find

I'll prolly be back in here with questions about the AX Pro. Like I said, they should be here Tuesday at the lastest. Thanks for all the answered questions guys.

ericpd, will you be receiving the "one power brick" model of the AXPro from BestBuy?
And how did you get an extra 20% off them?

Anyone else notice a very faint white noise with the 5.1 turned on while using the 720s? I would imagine this is normal, but I just want to make sure other 720 users are experiencing this. The white noise gets louder at higher volume levels. I dont really notice it in games but I do while I am idle at the home screen.

[quote name='ericpd'] The four lights on the front of control box, do they seem purple-ish instead of white at certain angles? [/QUOTE]
They are purple to me in low light conditions.
I love these headphones though.
My only concern is a low volume white noise in the background with the 5.1 is turned on. I read on Astro's website that this is to be expected with all 5.1 headsets, but I am still curious what others are experiencing.

[quote name='Astro A40 Manual']The A40 MixAmp™ is also a powerful headphone amplifier, and will naturally
increase background noise and hum inherently present on nearly every
analog audio path. With a digital connection, however, the background noise
floor drops to virtually zero and will give you a far better audio experience.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='learjetz']They are purple to me in low light conditions.
I love these headphones though.
My only concern is a low volume white noise in the background with the 5.1 is turned on. I read on Astro's website that this is to be expected with all 5.1 headsets, but I am still curious what others are experiencing.[/QUOTE]

I get no white noise from my AXPro.

[quote name='spiderdog']ericpd, will you be receiving the "one power brick" model of the AXPro from BestBuy?
And how did you get an extra 20% off them?[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming I will. I heard that they've been updated a little bit and now only have one brick. I also heard the mic is a little better (two pickups for noise canceling) and is flexible like the ones that came with our AX 720's,... I'm just hoping that they're still color coded and match the headsets. I've heard of some other improvements, but not sure what they are.

BB just assumed that with all the returns, there was a problem and I was a dissatisfied customer. So I let'em run with that. I mean I didn't go in complaining or anything, they just assumed that my travels from the Fatal1ty HS-1000, to the original G35, to the AX 720, to the X41, then back to the G35 had to mean that I was upset and had been a victim of some sort. After some quick head math, didn't take long to realize that I could handle both headsets, what with the price match on the G35 and the 20% off on the AX Pro's. So I jumped! Might mean no beer for the Raven's game tomorrow, but I'll survive.

Oh, and thanks for the link to your review PCWONK. It was one of many that I've read over the last couple weeks, but it got me off my duff and into BB to do the exchange.

[quote name='PCWONK']I get no white noise from my AXPro.[/QUOTE]
Try turning the in-line volume all the way up on the headphones. Leave the amp at default and tell me if there is still 0 white noise with the 5.1 engaged. I have reduced it to near nill by turning my amp all the way up and adjusting my headphones back a bit.

If I turn the volume on the amp to max and the inline volume down, the white noise fades to black. However, if I turn the amp down and the inline volume up, the white noise is pretty clear. Its not really disturbing, but its there. Maybe I will exchange to BB when I pricematch to WalMart just to make sure that its not a fault in the system somewhere.

Another note, I have replaced the AX720 headphones with my SteelSeries 5H Headset from PC gaming. The steel series is more comfortable, lighter, and the mic is better. Im not downplaying the AX720's at all, its just that I am more used to the 5H, and being able to plug them into the AX720 Amp has worked out perfectly. Now I need to find a use for the AX720 headset.

I am in the process of plugging my Boss QC3s into the Amp.

EDIT
OMG,.. This is amazing..

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember learjetz, the AX 720's aren't up on Walmart's online site as of yet. You gotta request them thru their 1-800. They quoted me $109.99. She also asked if I were interested in $0.97 shipping. Don't know if they're still doing that though,... as that was suppose to be a holiday special on shipping. But you know how that is,... some holiday specials last long after whatever holiday you're talking about is over, and some don't.

[quote name='ericpd']Remember learjetz, the AX 720's aren't up on Walmart's online site as of yet. You gotta request them thru their 1-800. They quoted me $109.99. She also asked if I were interested in $0.97 shipping. Don't know if they're still doing that though,... as that was suppose to be a holiday special on shipping. But you know how that is,... some holiday specials last long after whatever holiday you're talking about is over, and some don't.[/QUOTE]
I guess I will have BB call WalMart to confirm pricing? Id rather give my money to BB, but if they dont price match, looks like I will order over the phone.

I still can't make a decision after reading through this thread.

$99 for Turtle Beach x31
$129 for Tritton AX720
$124 for Tritton AXPRO (ECA discount?)

[quote name='ericpd']I'm assuming I will. I heard that they've been updated a little bit and now only have one brick. I also heard the mic is a little better (two pickups for noise canceling) and is flexible like the ones that came with our AX 720's,... I'm just hoping that they're still color coded and match the headsets. I've heard of some other improvements, but not sure what they are.

BB just assumed that with all the returns, there was a problem and I was a dissatisfied customer. So I let'em run with that. I mean I didn't go in complaining or anything, they just assumed that my travels from the Fatal1ty HS-1000, to the original G35, to the AX 720, to the X41, then back to the G35 had to mean that I was upset and had been a victim of some sort. After some quick head math, didn't take long to realize that I could handle both headsets, what with the price match on the G35 and the 20% off on the AX Pro's. So I jumped! Might mean no beer for the Raven's game tomorrow, but I'll survive.

Oh, and thanks for the link to your review PCWONK. It was one of many that I've read over the last couple weeks, but it got me off my duff and into BB to do the exchange.[/QUOTE]

Hate to break it to you, but the mic is not flexible :(

[quote name='learjetz']Try turning the in-line volume all the way up on the headphones. Leave the amp at default and tell me if there is still 0 white noise with the 5.1 engaged.[/QUOTE]

I haven't done that, I like my ear drums :)

Even if there is it's not as noticable as the hiss with the x4's or the popping and crackling with the x41's.

[quote name='FuZi0nZ']I still can't make a decision after reading through this thread.

$99 for Turtle Beach x31
$129 for Tritton AX720
$124 for Tritton AXPRO (ECA discount?)[/QUOTE]

Man if you can get your hands on a pair of AX Pro's for $124,... man what are you waitin' on? Contrary to what I was hearin and reading some weeks back, the AX Pro is still their flagship, and will be even when the AX 900's hit. Unlike some in here, I really wasn't impressed with the AX 720's,... I was expecting them to sound as good as the Logitech G35's. They didn't to me. To me they didn't even sound as good as the AXPC Pro's, which to my understanding don't sound as good as the AX Pro's or the AX 5.1 Pro's as they were USB powered and processed through software drivers.

[quote name='FuZi0nZ']I still can't make a decision after reading through this thread.

$99 for Turtle Beach x31
$129 for Tritton AX720
$124 for Tritton AXPRO (ECA discount?)[/QUOTE]
I would avoid the TB because they are wireless. Sound quality will never be as good.

Try the 720s.

I never knew what I was missing in sound until I used these

I would like to get the Tritton series headsets, but the main reason I want to replace my Turtle Beach x1's are because the amount of wires. It feels like almost a pain to have to bring it out and use it. Having all the wires connecting from the headset to the tv and then controller isn't my thing.

If the sound quality is that much of a different though, I might have to get the AXPros.

well...after letting my wife shop for childrens clothes for 2 hours and choose where to eat for dinner, she gave me the OK to upgrade to the AX 720 headphones lol!

BB was able to transfer the 10% RZ savings to the new headset too, so that was a plus.

Setting them up now, I'll report back on my initial thoughts!

[quote name='IronSerif']well...after letting my wife shop for childrens clothes for 2 hours and choose where to eat for dinner, she gave me the OK to upgrade to the AX 720 headphones lol!

BB was able to transfer the 10% RZ savings to the new headset too, so that was a plus.

Setting them up now, I'll report back on my initial thoughts![/QUOTE]

You are a smart man,... I mean with the wife psychology and all. Works every time,... unless you've screwed da pooch real bad. Then it doesn't work at all. Hell,... it might even get you in even hotter water if your wife is smart enough to smell right thru the attempt. I know mine is. LOL! But still,.... nice move!

[quote name='FuZi0nZ']I would like to get the Tritton series headsets, but the main reason I want to replace my Turtle Beach x1's are because the amount of wires. It feels like almost a pain to have to bring it out and use it. Having all the wires connecting from the headset to the tv and then controller isn't my thing.

If the sound quality is that much of a different though, I might have to get the AXPros.[/QUOTE]

I have the old (last year) AXPro Headset. The wires are like an octopus threatening to strangle me. And the in-line sound control box on the headset wire is heavy. It dangles from the left earpiece and will really start to bug if you can't find a place to rest the control box. It had a little clip so to attach it to a shirt shirt but my clip broke. :(

I would have bought the Turtle Beach wireless headset to be free from these viper like wires everywhere but the Turtle Beach headset doesn't have voice chat for the PS3. The AXPro has voice for the Xbox, PS3 and PC.

The sound quality of the AXPro is nice. The headset itself is ok for comfort, but after a while it starts to feel like my head is in a vice. I love the mic quality for the PS3 since it is a USB connection that stays firmly in place, but for the Xbox you have more wires running from your controller to the in-line control box and the static it produces if you accidentally jiggle the wire is incredibly annoying.

I almost forgot, my biggest annoyance has to do with the 2 AC adapters you have to find room for. One for the main control box and one for the headset. And there is no way to turn off the headset other than unplugging the headset AC adapter. I hate that more than getting tangled up in these wires and having to dial 911 for help. I have settled for plugging both AC adapters into their own power strip (surge protector), and I have to turn the power strip on/off when I want to use the headset.

[quote name='rgd2blck']I have the old (last year) AXPro Headset. The wires are like an octopus threatening to strangle me. And the in-line sound control box on the headset wire is heavy. It dangles from the left earpiece and will really start to bug if you can't find a place to rest the control box. It had a little clip so to attach it to a shirt shirt but my clip broke. :(

I would have bought the Turtle Beach wireless headset to be free from these viper like wires everywhere but the Turtle Beach headset doesn't have voice chat for the PS3. The AXPro has voice for the Xbox, PS3 and PC.

The sound quality of the AXPro is nice. The headset itself is ok for comfort, but after a while it starts to feel like my head is in a vice. I love the mic quality for the PS3 since it is a USB connection that stays firmly in place, but for the Xbox you have more wires running from your controller to the in-line control box and the static it produces if you accidentally jiggle the wire is incredibly annoying.

I almost forgot, my biggest annoyance has to do with the 2 AC adapters you have to find room for. One for the main control box and one for the headset. And there is no way to turn off the headset other than unplugging the headset AC adapter. I hate that more than getting tangled up in these wires and having to dial 911 for help. I have settled for plugging both AC adapters into their own power strip (surge protector), and I have to turn the power strip on/off when I want to use the headset.[/QUOTE]

Is the 2 AC adaptor requirement still the case w/ the 720s and this yr's AXPros? Also, w/ the ECA discount basically making them the same price, which ones would yall recommend?

[quote name='whataboutbob?']Is the 2 AC adaptor requirement still the case w/ the 720s and this yr's AXPros? Also, w/ the ECA discount basically making them the same price, which ones would yall recommend?[/QUOTE]

Where do you get the ECA discount. I'm a member of ECA and dont see a coupon or anything on the site.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']Is the 2 AC adaptor requirement still the case w/ the 720s and this yr's AXPros? Also, w/ the ECA discount basically making them the same price, which ones would yall recommend?[/QUOTE]

Well I know the AX 720 is not plagued with the 2 brick curse,... it only has one small power brick. The AX 720 headset doesn't require power, so don't expect your Tritton logos to light up guys. I've also heard that the new AX Pro now only has one brick, not sure exactly how they did it as they have not updated their site and it still shows pics and specs of the old set up. I still would go with the AX Pro at this point, maybe I would think harder if we talkin' AX 900 vs AX Pro. While the headsets themselves are said to be identical, the processor box of the soon-to-be AX 900 is much more robust than that currently included with the AX 720. Plus, I read in another thread that the AX 900 will include in addition to the G6 adapter, a second adapter terminating into a USB as well as a disc containing drivers. Sound like they're setting the AX 900 up to give you Dolby even if you choose to plug directly into your PC sans processor box. At the moment, if you plug directly into a PC using the G6 adapter included with the AX 720, all you have is a vanilla headset with no Dolby surround. So I guess we're talking about is the AX 900 doubling as Tritton's 3rd gen AXPC Pro,... so to speak.

I gotta ask,... What's a ECA discount?

[quote name='ericpd']Well I know the AX 720 is not plagued with the 2 brick curse,... it only has one small power brick. The AX 720 headset doesn't require power, so don't expect your Tritton logos to light up guys. I've also heard that the new AX Pro now only has one brick, not sure exactly how they did it as they have not updated their site and it still shows pics and specs of the old set up. I still would go with the AX Pro at this point, maybe I would think harder if we talkin' AX 900 vs AX Pro. While the headsets themselves are said to be identical, the processor box of the soon-to-be AX 900 is much more robust than that currently included with the AX 720. Plus, I read in another thread that the AX 900 will include in addition to the G6 adapter, a second adapter terminating into a USB as well as a disc containing drivers. Sound like they're setting the AX 900 up to give you Dolby even if you choose to plug directly into your PC sans processor box. At the moment, if you plug directly into a PC using the G6 adapter included with the AX 720, all you have is a vanilla headset with no Dolby surround. So I guess we're talking about is the AX 900 doubling as Tritton's 3rd gen AXPC Pro,... so to speak.

I gotta ask,... What's a ECA discount?[/QUOTE]

ECA= entertainment consumers association. You pay $20 ($15 if a student) and get a 10% discount for video games for 1 yr from Amazon & several other discounts, one happens to be 20% off the AXPros

http://www.theeca.com/membership_benefits

[quote name='adawg555']I wonder when we will get the code for 20% off the AXPro. All I see is code coming soon.[/QUOTE]

oh, idk. i didnt look into finding the code, i just saw the listing for the discount on the benefits page.

I just bought the Turtle Beach Ear Force X41 from Amazon, they had it listed @ $191. Total came out to be around $130 after ECA and the $30 trade-in promotional coupon. Too bad Amazon doesn't sell the Trittons.

[quote name='lee7sauce']I just bought the Turtle Beach Ear Force X41 from Amazon, they had it listed @ $191. Total came out to be around $130 after ECA and the $30 trade-in promotional coupon. Too bad Amazon doesn't sell the Trittons.[/QUOTE]

Yeah,... that is kinda weird ain't it? It's almost like BB has an exclusive on the 180 and the 720. I hear some stores already have them but for some reason can't sell them yet. I know for a fact Walmart has the 720, but won't sell it to you unless you specifically ask for it. I imagine Amazon and the other super online vendors like Tiger Direct and New Egg will get the go-head soon. I mean it's not like they don't already have a relationship with Tritton.

Regarding PC surround sound with the AXPro, my model comes with an adapter (G9) that bypasses the control box and allows me to get 5.1 surround sound because my PC sound card supports 5.1 surround sound. I just plug in my headset into the adapter, plug the adapter into my sound card's 4 ports and shut the control box off. Fortunately I can leave my adapter in my PC all the time. If I had to keep switching it out there is no way I would use it.

For the AX720, I know the G6 adapter does not provide surround sound however you can use optical (if your sound card supports it) to deliver PC surround sound. USB mic to chat.

Regarding the AXPro vs AX720, PCWONK is the only person who has mentioned simulated surround sound and it is very important. The AXPro has 4 speakers in each ear to deliver "true" surround sound. The AX720, like the Turtle Beach headsets, has just one speaker in each ear to deliver "simulated" surround sound.

I listened to both the AXPro and the Turtle Beach X4 (not the X41). I prefer simulated surround / one speaker in each ear because with the AXPro and its four speakers in each ear the sound differentiation between the front and rear channels is not good. Basically something in front of me sounds the same as when it is in back of me. I've tried changing volumes in each channel as well as time delay settings on the control box and it's just not working. This was not the case with the single speaker in each ear TB X4, and I assume it will not be the case with the single speaker in each ear AX720. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=226114XphoenixX touched on this much earlier in this thread.

Also, having just one speaker in each ear will hopefully make the headset lighter.

If I had to pick between the AXPro or the AX720 without testing them first, I would go with the AX720 simply because it is cheaper. CAG, after all. :bouncy: Having experienced both true and simulated surround sound, my preference is simulated, so I pick the AX720. If I ever find it under $100 I will buy it to replace my AXPro.

Yahoo! Opened up my inbox this morning and 'SURPRISE', an email announcing that my AX Pro's have been shipped. But 'Boooo', when I pounded on the 'Track This' link, no info as of yet! C'mon UPS,... update this thing! It's beginning to feel like December 24th, when I was 12.

I picked up the AX Pros a couple weeks back at the Tritton booth at SD Comic Con for $100, and I have to say they are by far the best set Ive used. The sound is Incredible! I like the fact that they can work on either my xbox, or ps3, but I ususally dont even bother with them on the ps3 because i never play it, so I cant vouche for the online chat quality.
The only con I have with them is that you have two power adapters that you have to plug in as well, so the cords are a little much but they make up for it everywhere else in performance.

[quote name='rgd2blck']Regarding PC surround sound with the AXPro, my model comes with an adapter (G9) that bypasses the control box and allows me to get 5.1 surround sound because my PC sound card supports 5.1 surround sound. I just plug in my headset into the adapter, plug the adapter into my sound card's 4 ports and shut the control box off. Fortunately I can leave my adapter in my PC all the time. If I had to keep switching it out there is no way I would use it.

For the AX720, I know the G6 adapter does not provide surround sound however you can use optical (if your sound card supports it) to deliver PC surround sound. USB mic to chat.

Regarding the AXPro vs AX720, PCWONK is the only person who has mentioned simulated surround sound and it is very important. The AXPro has 4 speakers in each ear to deliver "true" surround sound. The AX720, like the Turtle Beach headsets, has just one speaker in each ear to deliver "simulated" surround sound.

I listened to both the AXPro and the Turtle Beach X4 (not the X41). I prefer simulated surround / one speaker in each ear because with the AXPro and its four speakers in each ear the sound differentiation between the front and rear channels is not good. Basically something in front of me sounds the same as when it is in back of me. I've tried changing volumes in each channel as well as time delay settings on the control box and it's just not working. This was not the case with the single speaker in each ear TB X4, and I assume it will not be the case with the single speaker in each ear AX720. XphoenixX touched on this much earlier in this thread.

Also, having just one speaker in each ear will hopefully make the headset lighter.

If I had to pick between the AXPro or the AX720 without testing them first, I would go with the AX720 simply because it is cheaper. CAG, after all. :bouncy: Having experienced both true and simulated surround sound, my preference is simulated, so I pick the AX720. If I ever find it under $100 I will buy it to replace my AXPro.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel about the differnce between 1 driver simulated surround vs. 4 driver surround. I have the ax360's and what you said about the volume and delay settings is exactly how I feel. Also what you said about the sound differentiation I have also noticed this. I also do not feel like having to constantly tweek the inline controller for each different game I play to get the right sound. The ax720's "just work".

[quote name='ericpd']Remember learjetz, the AX 720's aren't up on Walmart's online site as of yet. You gotta request them thru their 1-800. They quoted me $109.99. She also asked if I were interested in $0.97 shipping. Don't know if they're still doing that though,... as that was suppose to be a holiday special on shipping. But you know how that is,... some holiday specials last long after whatever holiday you're talking about is over, and some don't.[/QUOTE]

Hello,

I'm a representative at TRITTON Technologies. I would just like to correct some incorrect information that has been posted to this forum. The new AX720 and AX180 are both exclusively available at Best Buy only. You currently cannot order either of these headsets from Walmart. I'm not sure where the poster got the above information, but we have not supplied Walmart with any AX720 or AX180 units, so they have none to sell. If you would like to purchase the AX720, please contact Best Buy to order.

Thank you.

[quote name='TRITTON2']Hello,

I'm a representative at TRITTON Technologies. I would just like to correct some incorrect information that has been posted to this forum. The new AX720 and AX180 are both exclusively available at Best Buy only. You currently cannot order either of these headsets from Walmart. I'm not sure where the poster got the above information, but we have not supplied Walmart with any AX720 or AX180 units, so they have none to sell. If you would like to purchase the AX720, please contact Best Buy to order.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I got the info from a forum called Head Fi. I called Walmart as the thread in that forum advised, and was sure enough quoted a price. Getting a price quote suggested to me that they did indeed had some sitting somewhere. I assumed the info was solid after getting a price via the 1-800 number they post on their site if you have questions about a potential purchase, so I didn't any wrong with passing on the info. Like I said earlier in this thread, I too thought this was kinda weird. Thanks for clearing this up with the gospel,... gospel truth is always better than assumed truth. Sorry guys for premie and not quite ready info.

Can you clear one more thing up for us (me) while you're here? The new rev of the AX Pro which is said to have one brick,... are there any other improvements or changes other the moving from two to one power brick? I also read in other threads/forums that the the mic had been improved, however, one of the posters here who wrote a real nice review on the AX Pro, says that the mic has not changed. Which is correct? It's hard to nail this down as your site still features the pics and specs of the older unit,... including two power bricks. I ask because I'm expecting an AX Pro delivery tomorrow. Thank you!

[quote name='TRITTON2']Hello,

Thank you.[/QUOTE]
While we have your ear, can you let us know if the AXPro's now have only one power brick? And how do we know when ordering? Also where are the AX900's and the Tritton Wireless model?

...And could you also tell me if the white noise I experience when the in-line volume control is set high and the 5.1 is engaged is a normal
experience? I'd rather not run an exchange at best buy and have them ship my headset back to you if it's a normal experience with the headset.

Oh yeah, and what about the rumor going around that you guys are about to address the massive sonic leakage. I understand that there's an effort afoot to address this and make the headsets truly 'closed ear'. Can only be a good thing for fidelity. I know when I pressed the AXPC's to my head, the fidelity improved 2-3 fold. Doing that also increased the isolation of outside noises. That too can only be a good thing,... right? And what about the rumor that the AX 900 will include a USB terminated adapter AND a CD armed with software drivers? This also could only be a good thing,... I mean having access to Dolby 7.1 surround sound processing whether you're playing on a console or on a PC. Wanna play Xbox,... go thru the processing box. Wanna play PC,... use the G6 type adapter (but with and USB at the other end instead of the pink and green 3.5's) and you don't give up Dolby surround. Yeah,... one is hardware and one is software, but you still get to use what you pay for. What do ya think? Is it happening, or is it just another rumor?

So far I'm definitely liking the upgrade to the AX 720 from the AX 180. It is a bit heavier, but it's not as uncomfortable, especially after long playing sessions.

I do have a question for anyone who has the AX 720...

The mic sounds pretty good when I tested it on the PS3, but when I tested it on the Xbox 360 I heard a lot of background/white noise.

The way I tested it was to create a voice message to someone and just play it back, if anyone knows a better way (other than in game to other players), let me know!

Not sure if this is the same white noise issue learjetz is experiencing...

As I mentioned in my initial post (a rather lengthy comparison of the AXPRO and the AX720) I found the AX720 to be superior to the AXPRO. Eric, when you receive your AXPRO, please advise to whether you agree with my findings. If I recall the only thing you were doing different is you were connecting to a PC sound card which I am not. For my specific genre of gaming (FPS) directional pinpointing and accuracy is key. I found the implementation of the multiple speaker setup to actually cause a bit of confusion of sound positioning. Everyone's different so I'm glad you took the plunge to see for yourself. As I'm very curious, I'd like to know what you think. IMO I'd pay more money for the AX720 then the AXPRO anyday. I hope you end up with what you want, but don't try to convince yourself that because something is more expensive or does something unique that its better than something else.

=/ Anyone have any info on me about the white noise? Its only apparent when the inline volume is cranked up and the Dolby is engaged. All other volumes can be turned down.

[quote name='IronSerif']So far I'm definitely liking the upgrade to the AX 720 from the AX 180. It is a bit heavier, but it's not as uncomfortable, especially after long playing sessions.

I do have a question for anyone who has the AX 720...

The mic sounds pretty good when I tested it on the PS3, but when I tested it on the Xbox 360 I heard a lot of background/white noise.

The way I tested it was to create a voice message to someone and just play it back, if anyone knows a better way (other than in game to other players), let me know!

Not sure if this is the same white noise issue learjetz is experiencing...[/QUOTE]

My AXPro is the exact same when I listen to a voice message I created on my Xbox. Same thing if I use my $1 headset. Just chat in a game and verify other people can hear you ok. I be you're fine.

[quote name='rgd2blck']My AXPro is the exact same when I listen to a voice message I created on my Xbox. Same thing if I use my $1 headset. Just chat in a game and verify other people can hear you ok. I be you're fine.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, I'll give it a try tonight. I just don't ever remember having the same issue when I created messages with the original headset included with the system and the chat pad...oh well!

[quote name='rgd2blck']My AXPro is the exact same when I listen to a voice message I created on my Xbox. Same thing if I use my $1 headset. Just chat in a game and verify other people can hear you ok. I be you're fine.[/QUOTE]
/signed
Nothing noteworthy about the sound created using Tritton's mic. I think this is largely due to XBL's voice compression though. As long as you're understood, whats it matter?

I bought the 720's while at PAX in Seattle and while i havent gotten to try them out i decided to go ahead and purchase the AX Pro's as well. I'll try to remember to due a review of sorts when i get them in. And ill more than likely be getting rid of one of them since i cant really afford to keep both :)

[quote name='XphoenixX']As I mentioned in my initial post (a rather lengthy comparison of the AXPRO and the AX720) I found the AX720 to be superior to the AXPRO. Eric, when you receive your AXPRO, please advise to whether you agree with my findings. If I recall the only thing you were doing different is you were connecting to a PC sound card which I am not. For my specific genre of gaming (FPS) directional pinpointing and accuracy is key. I found the implementation of the multiple speaker setup to actually cause a bit of confusion of sound positioning. Everyone's different so I'm glad you took the plunge to see for yourself. As I'm very curious, I'd like to know what you think. IMO I'd pay more money for the AX720 then the AXPRO anyday. I hope you end up with what you want, but don't try to convince yourself that because something is more expensive or does something unique that its better than something else.[/QUOTE]

Sure thing phoenix, I'll comment on them as best I can. Just walked in from work and nothing yet,... but UPS is normally late in my area and they roll up all the way up to 7:00 p.m. I think. My luck I'll be at the bowling alley when they get here (6:00 p.m. bowling league).

No. No sound card,... I had the AXPC Pro's before getting the AX 720, so no sound card in either of those loops. Now I did discover a conflict with the my laptop's IDT internal sound card,... thanks to your posts. The AXPC Pro had left the house by that time, but the AX 720 did sound better after resolving the conflict. But I was still after more,... enter the X41. To me, the X41 sounded way better than the AX 720's in Xbox, but the overwhelming noise when attached to the PC was just unacceptable. That's when I finally gave up on finding something that was truly sounded great on both console AND my laptop. Luckily, some price matching and a "I'm Sorry" discount from BB put me in reach of owning two great headsets,... the G35 and the AX Pro. Can't beat that in my opinion. Now I do accept that the 720's are good sounding headsets, but ain't no way they sound better than the G35's, especially when doing music.

Anyway,... as soon as I have a moment with them, I'll chime in.

They're here! 5:24 p.m. EST

Will get back to you folks. Gotta get movin',... can only miss 3 frames before I forfeit a game.

I've tagged this thread.

My situation: xbox and desktop run off the same monitor. I flip between depending on what I want. Both xbox and computer offer optical out. I could pick up a cheap optical switcher if the device only has one optical input (which seems to generally be the case).

I'd like a 5.1(+) headset for chatting and gaming on the 360, and chatting and gaming on the pc, flipping between as needed.

It doesn't look like any of these do that perfectly: the mic seems to be an issue, or sound quality/static.

Any suggestions?

[quote name='James1701d']http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=966&seq=1&format=2

Is this something like what you want?

I use it on my ps 3 and 360 going into my receiver and it works great.[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask this question in a separate thread but since the X41 is getting some discussion here too, I might as well ask it here. I bought the X41 from Amazon last week and got them in. Sound quality sounds fantastic (though I don't have any experience with headphones to be honest) and it seems to work well with the 360.

I was going to also hook it up to my PS3 but found that the PS3 will only decode the sounds as Dolby ProLogic II when using the optical cable. I have my picture and sound running thru my receiver via HDMI for the 360 and the PS3. The 360 lets me use the HDMI and the optical hook-up at the same time. The only thing I have to do is press "mute" on my receiver since the sound is still being carried thru the HDMI as well.

With the PS3, you can have them hook-up up at the same time but you have to choose which sound option you want to use in the menu of the PS3. You have to manually go in and select optical cable and then choose DD5.1 & DTS. Even choosing them, no matter what I do, it will only decode as Dolby ProLogic. Anyone had any experience with this or was able to fix the problem. I feel like maybe I just doing something wrong but I can't figure it out.

As far as the X41, I have not tried the mic yet or playing online in a combat game. Just strictly tested it with a movie and a single player game so far. But I like the fact that it is wireless and has the communicator right there. I did see that many say you just don't get as good of sound with a wireless connection. My problem is that I have a large HDTV and my seats are approx 13.5 feet away from the TV. How long are the wired headphones that you guys are using? Do they extend or is it just better to stay wireless when getting into that length? I am guessing I would need a good 16 foot cord to be comfortable moving around and what not.

Also, I am getting some random crackling and popping on the X41 and I saw someone mention having a wireless item around it might cause this. I do have a wireless router approx 6 feet away from it. Would that be close enough to cause that issue?

If there is another thread or discussion area for the above, just let me know and I can move it over there. Thanks for the help. I am still trying to decide whether to keep the X41. I don't want to spend over $170 on a pair of headphones when there might be a better set out there that I should be using.

[quote name='robbrism']I was going to ask this question in a separate thread but since the X41 is getting some discussion here too, I might as well ask it here. I bought the X41 from Amazon last week and got them in. Sound quality sounds fantastic (though I don't have any experience with headphones to be honest) and it seems to work well with the 360.

I was going to also hook it up to my PS3 but found that the PS3 will only decode the sounds as Dolby ProLogic II when using the optical cable. I have my picture and sound running thru my receiver via HDMI for the 360 and the PS3. The 360 lets me use the HDMI and the optical hook-up at the same time. The only thing I have to do is press "mute" on my receiver since the sound is still being carried thru the HDMI as well.

With the PS3, you can have them hook-up up at the same time but you have to choose which sound option you want to use in the menu of the PS3. You have to manually go in and select optical cable and then choose DD5.1 & DTS. Even choosing them, no matter what I do, it will only decode as Dolby ProLogic. Anyone had any experience with this or was able to fix the problem. I feel like maybe I just doing something wrong but I can't figure it out.

As far as the X41, I have not tried the mic yet or playing online in a combat game. Just strictly tested it with a movie and a single player game so far. But I like the fact that it is wireless and has the communicator right there. I did see that many say you just don't get as good of sound with a wireless connection. My problem is that I have a large HDTV and my seats are approx 13.5 feet away from the TV. How long are the wired headphones that you guys are using? Do they extend or is it just better to stay wireless when getting into that length? I am guessing I would need a good 16 foot cord to be comfortable moving around and what not.

Also, I am getting some random crackling and popping on the X41 and I saw someone mention having a wireless item around it might cause this. I do have a wireless router approx 6 feet away from it. Would that be close enough to cause that issue?

If there is another thread or discussion area for the above, just let me know and I can move it over there. Thanks for the help. I am still trying to decide whether to keep the X41. I don't want to spend over $170 on a pair of headphones when there might be a better set out there that I should be using.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get too far off topic, but you might want to check the information about the 3.0 PS3 update. There is some things about being able to do simultaneous output.

bread's done
Back