Tritton headsets on sale at amazon.

i never understood gaming headsets..
i would just get myself a nice set of cans...
like Sennhies and enjoy the output quality AND music if i want to connect em somewhere else

[quote name='cRodz']i never understood gaming headsets..
like Sennhies and enjoy the output quality AND music if i want to connect em somewhere else[/QUOTE]

So you can talk and have 5.1/7.1 surround sound and these can e connected to the computer.

I own the 720's and am pleased with them. They are really bulky, however, and feel a little on the flimsy side, so I am pretty careful not to rage hurl them against the wall. But the simulated 5.1 sound quality is very very solid.

Although I haven't personally tried out the AX-Pro's, from most reviews I read prior to my purchase, the general consensus was that the AX-720's were the better value.

There are certainly better headsets out there if you want to spend the $$$, but if you're looking for a good value set of 5.1 headsets, the 720's are a nice choice.

I used PX21 and DSS 7.1. To be honest, I didn't feel the strong surround sound effect. Maybe it's a lemon or I am just retard to distinguish the surround sound and stereo sound. I want to try out other headphones to see the difference.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Is it possible to hook these systems up to your pc and 360 at the same time?[/QUOTE]

I have the pro ones and yes you can. They also have separate volume controls so you can adjust just your pc or just your xbox. Works with the ps3 too.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Is it possible to hook these systems up to your pc and 360 at the same time?[/QUOTE]

well you could hook up the audio to the pc and the mic to the 360.

[quote name='foreinter']I used PX21 and DSS 7.1. To be honest, I didn't feel the strong surround sound effect. Maybe it's a lemon or I am just retard to distinguish the surround sound and stereo sound. I want to try out other headphones to see the difference.[/QUOTE]

That is because the px21 only output stereo not surround sound. This is the reason why I want to upgrade my x11's.

[quote name='DariusWIND']I have the pro ones and yes you can. They also have separate volume controls so you can adjust just your pc or just your xbox. Works with the ps3 too.[/QUOTE]

Could we hear your option on them?

[quote name='DariusWIND']I have the pro ones and yes you can. They also have separate volume controls so you can adjust just your pc or just your xbox. Works with the ps3 too.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

How long is the cable for that little box?

i heard the 720's have an issue with the head band part. apparently it's pretty stiff and can crack when you're removing the headset if you're not too careful.

like Sennhies and enjoy the output quality AND music if i want to connect em somewhere else[/QUOTE]

Maybe you can get a bicycle or walk everywhere as well. Ever have anyone hear you talking on the other end while using those Sens? Gaming headsets imply chat....they are not top of the line for listening quality, but that is not their purpose. That's like purchasing a H2 and saying you care about MPG.

There is a reason they are called gaming headsets. The Pros are nice - I do own them, but agree that the 720s are the better value. They did not have the 720s when I got mine.

i have the AX720s and LOVE them. the sound is great, the mic is great, and having separate volume controls is great. the only negative thing i can say is that its tight on the sides if you wear glasses but nothing too horrible. also the headband is a bit uncomfortable if its worn for more than 3 hours at a time. it starts to hurt after a while but thats just me. i would VERY MUCH recommend the 720s

^^ yeah I found much better quality using my Sennheiser hd555 with the standard xbox mic around my neck than any gaming headset. I've yet to try astros through but I feel the 250 $ price tag is more if a brand thing since its trendy in the MLG crowd.

I got a pair of X11s for $30 over the holiday, and absolutely LOVE them! I was playing Halo Reach last night with a friend and I could actually pick up the other team's proxy talk VERY well from the next room over, so we could always get a jump on them from their constant blathering. My friend was just using a regular Xbox headset and he could never hear the talking that I could. Also the mic chatting is phenominal compared to your basic Xbox headset.

I kinda wish I got the PX22s though as it's compatible with PS3, Xbox, and PC, whereas the X11s are only Xbox.

I bought the pro set probably 6 months ago. I like them alot, definitely gives you an advantage in games like CoD listening for footsteps/silenced weapons etc..

Older version required 2 AC adapters. New model I got is just one that plugs to your headset receiver. I have my ps3 and 360 connected to it. LONG ass cable from receiver to headset. Then footish cable headset plugs into that.

I would buy again but might check into turtle beaches first as everyone raves about them...

I have the 720s and I like them a lot. I bought an optical switch from monoprice so that I can have both my 360 and PS3 hooked up at the same time (I only use the mic for 360).

The (simulated) surround sound works really well and it made a big difference for me in games such as Red Dead, helping me know where the shots and cougars are coming from. The build quality has been fine for me. They are plenty comfortable, and I have a massive cranium.

Take my option with a grain of salt, though, because I'm not an audiophile. People who use words such as "cans" and "Sennhies" will be able to talk rings around me.

I have the 720's and I highly recommend them. They are not wireless and to get around the cord being strung across my living room floor I bought a 25' optical cord and ran it along the wall so the box sits on my end table. Sound on them is excellent and the voice chat is really good as well. Has separate chat and game volume controls. Can be used with ps3, pc, and 360 which is awesome (ps3 and computer use USB and 360 uses and cable that goes from controller to volume control for the headset). I use it for movies and the sound for that is great. Very happy with these.

So I've been looking for a good headset under $150. Since the sharkoon x-tatic 5.1, tritton ax pro, tritton 720, and the turtle beach ear force dpx21 are all under $150 which is the best choice??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated i really want a surround sound headset for dead space 2 next week. Especially since theyre audio is top notch, on par if not better than halo.

I have both Turtle Beach x31's and Tritton ax720's.

The Tb's are nice and convenient. The wireless feature is great for me because I don't have to sort through wires all the time to keep anything from getting tangled. The sound quality is solid. If you've never had a gaming headset before, these will surely impress. I've worn them for long gaming sessions (over 4 hours) and they remain comfortable.

The Trittons however are the superior headset in terms of sound quality. The surround sound function is more advanced and it totally immerses you in the game. The bass is bumpin and sounds great. The main downside with these for me are the wires, but that's just preference. The mic is stiff and I prefer the TB's in terms of comfort and use, but the trittons produce the superior sound experience.

i have the 720s.

aside from the bulkyness of the headset, the sound quality is excellent. i use them from both the 360 and the ps3.

I got the 720s for Christmas last month, and I really enjoy them. I don't know how they compare to any other headset, but I think the sound is very good, and at $105 I think it's a steal/no brainer, honestly.

I had originally wanted the Ax Pros, and was slightly disappointed and considering returning the 720s when I got them, but I read some reviews, and it seemed to be a general consensus that even though the Pros are the newer/higher model, the 720s are generally preferred. (This is not my opinion, only what I gathered from reading other peoples reviews!)

How is the background noise level on the 720s? I tried a pair of the Turtle Beach X11 and returned them because the background noise was terrible. Very apparent hissing no matter what volume level. According to Turtle Beach that is just the way it is due to the amp used. So are the Trittons just as noisy?

[quote name='xplocvo']How is the background noise level on the 720s? I tried a pair of the Turtle Beach X11 and returned them because the background noise was terrible. Very apparent hissing no matter what volume level. According to Turtle Beach that is just the way it is due to the amp used. So are the Trittons just as noisy?[/QUOTE]

The Trittons 720's were a little hissy when I first got them. But after a few hours of breaking them in, the hissing became much, much quieter. Its still there, but is so subtle that its not really a problem. At least not for me. I'm sure some hardcore audiophiles might disagree.

Just ordered one for $59.99 thanks to my 2 amazon gift cards I purchased and my $5 dollar promotional certificate I received from the PS3 deal that got canceled. Good deal for this headset even at the current price.

[quote name='dapunisure']So I've been looking for a good headset under $150. Since the sharkoon x-tatic 5.1, tritton ax pro, tritton 720, and the turtle beach ear force dpx21 are all under $150 which is the best choice??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated i really want a surround sound headset for dead space 2 next week. Especially since theyre audio is top notch, on par if not better than halo.[/QUOTE]

I picked up the DPX21's on the Amazon sale Tuesday and used them for the first time last night. I have never used headsets for gaming before and I was BLOWN AWAY! I played Battlefield: 1943 on PS3 and the sound is so immersive. I really like them. Good bass and the surround sound worked well. I could tell what direction shots and enemys were coming from easily. Granted I only used them once, but I couldn't hear any of the "hissing" people have reported. I can't wait to try them out on PC and Xbox!

No matter the brand you choose you NEED to buy a headset. Very much worth the money.

Personally i am done with tritton, they short circuit easily and im entering year 2 and round 2 of tritton 720s and my 720s cords are already a mess, already tangled up and have those cut things from being tangled which means its going to die soon.

i would consider the black ops trittons simply because of the cord, it's a tethered cord meaning it will never tangle up and short circuit that way, all headsets should have that or the the thin rubber band style that skull candy uses on some of theirs

I also have the 720s and I paid a lot more for mine and I love them. When gaming online (FPS mainly) I pretty much have to use them. Part of this is also because I don't have a separate home theater system and the tv speakers suck arse. I get good directional sound on the call of duty games and pretty much everything else. I noticed weird directional glitches on Bad Company 2, but these were part of the game and appeared when I played on my roommate's full setup home theater surround sound system as well. I absolutely can recommend the 720s. I haven't tried the Pros, but purposely bought the 720s over the Pros b/c of some negative reviews on the Pros. If you can try them both out before you buy, even better. Have fun!

I upgraded this week to the Tritton AX Pro model after owning the AX 720s for about a year. Admittedly, I bought the 720s without realizing it was only simulated surround... one thing that really bothers me about these manufacturers is that they claim "surround" sound, but can only simulate it if the headsets have only two drivers... the 720s have 4 drivers, 2 per side. The Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS system claims 7.1 channels, but it makes little difference if there is only one driver per side and the connection is the standard TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) type.

Both are decent choices, but I'd really like to have a frame of reference for the competition's true surround headsets, such as the Astro A-30s and A-40s and the Sharkoon X-Tactic 5.1s. Are either of those on sale? I'm assuming it's just the Trittons.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eLefAdEr']I upgraded this week to the Tritton AX Pro model after owning the AX 720s for about a year. Admittedly, I bought the 720s without realizing it was only simulated surround... one thing that really bothers me about these manufacturers claim "surround" sound but can only simulate it if the headsets have only two drivers... the 720s have 4 drivers, 2 per side.

Both are decent choices, but I'd really like to have a frame of reference for the competition's true surround headsets, such as the Astro A-30s and A-40s and the Sharkoon X-Tactic 5.1s. Are either of those on sale? I'm assuming it's just the Trittons.[/QUOTE]

I have the Sharkoons X-Tatic 5.1, and from what I've read somewhere the Tritton AX Pros ARE the Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 headsets, just for Europe. I'm inclined to believe them since in the X-Tatic "manual" it says their main HQ is in Germany. I have no idea where I read they were Tritton Europe edition, but I do remember coming upon it while searching for reviews for the Sharkoon headset, since at the time the Trittons were sold out on Amazon.

As for a review of them. They're great. In CoD you can hear people coming up on you from a mile away unless they have Ninja Pro(silences your foot steps) and in the single player games it's awesome. You can hear enemies coming around you or just the wind breezing by you, or sound coming from a certain direction.

Though, since they are wired, the cables are a mess. I've read that the mic to them is flimsy and easily breaks, but mine hasn't and I've had it for 6 months and since they're "base" is in Germany, good luck finding replacement parts if it breaks.

I have been reading reviews and gathering as much information about headsets as possible for the past couple weeks and it seems like they all have huge negatives. I have never owned a gaming headset and I want one (mostly for Black Ops) but I don't want to spend $200 for that limited use type of item. I would love surround sound and I would love cordless, the problem is it seems that chorded gets way better reviews. I don't understand why we always have to plug into the controller much less across the room to the console. Are there no USB ones for the 360 that handle that. I have been very frustrated with this process and both these seem like descent deals but nobody really says anything is great except the over $200 sets (which still hook to your controller?) Will there be a headset in the future that is truly wireless??? And do all of these sets have a hissing???? Any help would be appreciated. I honestly have no preference as far as brand. I Like to prices of these on sale but...??? Anybody?

[quote name='JasonTerminator']The Turtle Beach x41's that I bought during Tuesday's gold box hasn't shipped yet, so I'd like to know what people think about these too.[/QUOTE]

I have the x41s, and I have to admit that I am impressed. Using them on my 360 (only with Borderlands and Black Ops so far) I can "hear" where people/bullets are coming from no problem. I do not feel a need to turn them completely up (though when I used them with my PS3 to watch a movie, I did have them turned all the way up and just felt it to be slightly better than adequate). There is a hiss (this is a low hiss, not loud but audible) that is audible only when there is no sounds being emitted from your source console - completely gone when any in-game sound/music is playing.

I had no problems losing signal while wandering around a medium sized room, though when I wandered 2 rooms away, the headphones would begin to cut out. This sure beat the alternative of purchasing a new amp & new speakers to hook up in my game room - not to mention that the main unit is USB powered, so you plug it straight into your console it doesn't jack up your electric bill (My Yamaha amp downstairs eats up the juice...) and I can adjust the volume of my game, regardless of the time of day, to an audio level that I am comfortable with and not worry about disturbing anyone else in the house - bonus. And having this being wireless is true bliss - I could not imagine trying to play a console game with a wired (audio) headset.

Note - the x41's can be hooked up to your 360 controller for chatting (via an interconnect cable), has independent volume control for chat audio (which can be setup to where the audio of chat increases should the game audio suddenly increase) and the mic works really well - I've received very positive feedback from friends. This is one purchase I do not regret ($109.99 at amazon during this last holiday).

[quote name='tizok2bfst']I have been reading reviews and gathering as much information about headsets as possible for the past couple weeks and it seems like they all have huge negatives. I have never owned a gaming headset and I want one (mostly for Black Ops) but I don't want to spend $200 for that limited use type of item. I would love surround sound and I would love cordless, the problem is it seems that chorded gets way better reviews. I don't understand why we always have to plug into the controller much less across the room to the console. Are there no USB ones for the 360 that handle that. I have been very frustrated with this process and both these seem like descent deals but nobody really says anything is great except the over $200 sets (which still hook to your controller?) Will there be a headset in the future that is truly wireless??? And do all of these sets have a hissing???? Any help would be appreciated. I honestly have no preference as far as brand. I Like to prices of these on sale but...??? Anybody?[/QUOTE]

This is the exact same situation I am going through. I've narrowed it down to the ear force dpx21 and trittons, but they both apparently have hissing noises, and I feel like that could detract from the experience. Especially if I am walking down an eerily quiet dead space 2 corridor and all I hear is hissing. I really want a pair of surround sound headsets.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']I upgraded this week to the Tritton AX Pro model after owning the AX 720s for about a year. Admittedly, I bought the 720s without realizing it was only simulated surround... one thing that really bothers me about these manufacturers is that they claim "surround" sound, but can only simulate it if the headsets have only two drivers... the 720s have 4 drivers, 2 per side. The Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS system claims 7.1 channels, but it makes little difference if there is only one driver per side and the connection is the standard TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) type.

Both are decent choices, but I'd really like to have a frame of reference for the competition's true surround headsets, such as the Astro A-30s and A-40s and the Sharkoon X-Tactic 5.1s. Are either of those on sale? I'm assuming it's just the Trittons.[/QUOTE]

I think you meant the AX Pros have 4 drivers on each side. The AX 720 has one driver on each side.

The Astro A40 is a also a stereo headset. Like the AX 720, it works with a Dolby Headphone decoder (like Astro's MixAmp) to simulate surround sound using 2 channels.

Even with the AX Pros, there is still a big difference in how your brain perceives sound coming from 4 drivers right next to each of your ears vs. sound that originates at multiple points distant from your head and isn't transmitted just on your eardrums.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I have the Sharkoons X-Tatic 5.1, and from what I've read somewhere the Tritton AX Pros ARE the Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 headsets, just for Europe. I'm inclined to believe them since in the X-Tatic "manual" it says their main HQ is in Germany. I have no idea where I read they were Tritton Europe edition, but I do remember coming upon it while searching for reviews for the Sharkoon headset, since at the time the Trittons were sold out on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

If you look at photos, pretty much everything BUT the headset itself (the power supply, connectors, decoder box) looks the same on the Tritton AX Pro and the Sharkoon X-Tatic Digital.

[quote name='tizok2bfst']I don't understand why we always have to plug into the controller much less across the room to the console. Are there no USB ones for the 360 that handle that. I have been very frustrated with this process and both these seem like descent deals but nobody really says anything is great except the over $200 sets (which still hook to your controller?) Will there be a headset in the future that is truly wireless??? And do all of these sets have a hissing????[/QUOTE]

I think the issue is that the 360 design only allows voice chat to go through the controller channel. I suspect this is the limiting factor in the voice quality of the Astros and higher-end Trittons. Score one for the PS3, which can pass voice through USB (although there's the wire across your room tradeoff).

I've tried the A40/Mixamp and AX Pro; neither had hissing that I could hear, but neither is wireless (except the voice chat on the 360 between the console and the controller).

[quote name='gantt']I think you meant the AX Pros have 4 drivers on each side. The AX 720 has one driver on each side.

The Astro A40 is a also a stereo headset. Like the AX 720, it works with a Dolby Headphone decoder (like Astro's MixAmp) to simulate surround sound using 2 channels.

Even with the AX Pros, there is still a big difference in how your brain perceives sound coming from 4 drivers right next to each of your ears vs. sound that originates at multiple points distant from your head and isn't transmitted just on your eardrums.

[/QUOTE]

Awesome clarification, thanks gantt. I suppose my choice to go with the AX Pros instead of the Astros for better channel separation will be a good one.

[quote name='dapunisure']This is the exact same situation I am going through. I've narrowed it down to the ear force dpx21 and trittons, but they both apparently have hissing noises, and I feel like that could detract from the experience. Especially if I am walking down an eerily quiet dead space 2 corridor and all I hear is hissing. I really want a pair of surround sound headsets.[/QUOTE]

it really isnt that noticeable. the only time it is noticeable is when they are on and theres no audio being played. id recommend the trittons 150%

[quote name='eLefAdEr']Awesome clarification, thanks gantt. I suppose my choice to go with the AX Pros instead of the Astros for better channel separation will be a good one.[/QUOTE]

Eh. You'd think that. Thing is, you'll get better surround sound from the Pros, but less overall sound quality than the 720's. The pros use a 40mm (bass), 2 30mm (front, surround), and a 23mm (center) driver per cup. Where as the 720s use one big 40mm per cup. So when sound is coming through the smaller drivers on the Pros, you'll lose a bit of clarity and quality due to the size of the drivers.

If all you care about is the surround aspect, the Pros are awesome. However, you will sacrifice some quality in overall sound, and may actually suffer some dialogue loss because of the "dead spots" when using multiple drivers.

I had the 720's and they were great. Sound quality is awesome, directional sound is good, and chat worked well. One thing I couldn't take though and it caused me to look elsewhere was the lack of flexibility. These things fit like a motorcycle helmet. There's absolutely no give and they are pretty heavy. They would squeeze my ears and head to the point I'd be sore when I took them off. It was unbearable. I don't have a big head or big ears by any means, but these just didn't work for me.

I've since upgraded to the TB X41, and they are leaps and bounds better than the 720s in every way. Sound, comfort, surround sound, bass response etc..

That being said, the 720s are great for the price and are almost as good as the X41s for sound quality and surround sound. The comfort thing may not effect you, in which case they are a great set and highly recommended. If you're stuck between the Pros and the 720s, I'd always recommend the 720s. IMO it's a no brainer.

[quote name='dapunisure']This is the exact same situation I am going through. I've narrowed it down to the ear force dpx21 and trittons, but they both apparently have hissing noises, and I feel like that could detract from the experience. Especially if I am walking down an eerily quiet dead space 2 corridor and all I hear is hissing. I really want a pair of surround sound headsets.[/QUOTE]

I went thru this a few months back and settled on the dpx21 instead of the x31, x41 or any of the Tritton sets.

Picked these mainly for the convenience of switching between 360 and PS3, price and well, I've yet to like the sound out of wireless speakers.

Also figured to return them if the quality was bad. Didn't though. Great gaming headset but not necessarily a Home theater replacement

So far, I've used them mostly with Halo Reach (yes, I can't stop) and a couple of movies, but instantly liked them. They let me pick up the subtle sounds in Reach. People like to mention hearing opponent footsteps but with these, I'm able to hear when someone is reloading nearby and the general direction where they should be.

Also nice to be able to hear the direction of a gunfight. Let's me jump in and mix it up right away. Hate when it takes too long to find a fight

They've been pretty comfortable and I use them nearly every day.

Good luck with your choice.

I highly recommend the Tritton AX 720. I picked them up last year at Best Buy and have really enjoyed using them. Excellent surround sound, and just great sounding headphones overall.

I've had my AX720's for about 10 months now, and over all I am very happy with the headset. It sounds a lot better if you have the amp to power rather than the 3.5 mm line-in for a computer.

My only real problem with them is the way that the microphone connects to the headset. My mic can now really be only in 1 position as the "locking" mechanism are groves that the mic slides into. This "locking" feature wore out after I took the mic out no more than 15 time or so.

I have been meaning to email Tritton and see if I can get just an extra pair of 720's without the amp, so I can have 1 pair for just listening and night playing, and 1 set that I always leave the mic plugged in for when I am playing team games.

personally I have the 720's I have had them since August and I have to say they are wonderful. The cord is long enough that you can sit far back and not have to worry about disconnects. The set up for the Ps3 and Computer is pretty simple. No need to buy an additional optical cable the one they give you + headset length is more than enough. I can not say enough about the quality of the sound, I play a bunch of hardcore s&d and its nice to be able to turn you teammates down and game sounds up.

I have been in game where it is 5 on 1 and I manage to get a win based solely on the fact I can hear these guys running around. Since nobody in blops runs ninja anymore you can hear it when someone goes from running on dirt to concrete, I seriously feel like daredevil when I wear these things. Jets etc going over head actually feel like they are flying over my dude.

Music and voice chat is clear, the only thing I don't like it that even when you break everything down, mic off , cords disconnected etc the headset still takes up a lot of room.

You guys have been a lot of help, and I was just wondering can you really hear foot steps with these headsets? I'm starting to lean towards the tritton ax720 because it seems to be everyone's preferred headset, and it appears that it "simulates" surround sound much like the ear force dpx 21(not to mention about$35 cheaper).

Thanks for all the help and answers CAGS I really appreciate the info. Hopefully now I can make a more informed decision.

bread's done
Back