Tron: Legacy Limited Edition Five Disc Blu Ray set (Includes original Tron)

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
81iuM2XxaQL_AA1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Limited-...PABK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296764782&sr=8-1

3D Blu Ray, regular Blu Ray, DVD, Digital Copy and the original on Blu.

No release date, no price, only the listing on Amazon..

The set with the disc would be nice but I have no place to put it and would like a normal 5 disc case for them. That way I could put it with the rest of my blu-rays.

Also the price seems to be good for me. 10 bucks extra for a special/collectors edition and about 11 bucks and change for each disc in the 5 disc version.

My only issue with this set is that chances are the extras are going to be slim. I think I'm going to have to go with the normal 5 disc till I know more about the Identity Disc case.

I bit on the regular 5-disc + coupon, because I love the two TRON movies and I doubt it'll be much cheaper for that set. If so, Amazon will match. Sucky price, but I'm sure it'll lower in the weeks leading to release to something around 45 or so. Just my guess.

[quote name='ssjmichael']If you notice on Amazon, the actual MSRP is $99.99. Amazon just discounted it to $69.99. The regular edition is $79.99 and amazon reduced it to $55.99. Those original prices, particularly for the standard one are ridiculous. Hopefully they come down a little bit more, or they offer some additional incentive[/QUOTE]I did notice the original prices, though I'm surprised that the set with the identity disc was so low.

I'm not sure if the identity disc set is an Amazon exclusive or not, as no one else has the movies up for sale yet, though I'm thinking it's not if it's only $69.99 for the identity disc set. If it was an Amazon exclusive, the Amazon price would be higher as would the MSRP.

[quote name='Slappybob']So has this announcement killed the inflated price of the original DVD yet?[/QUOTE]

I would say it probably is. I sold my used copy for 98 dollars in December. Most of the used copies now are listed at 50 or less. I have to believe those are barely selling now unless it is to a true Disney DVD collector.

I am going to have to wait on this. 5 discs and none of them are special features, just 4 discs of the exact same thing and one 1982 movie? For $70? LAME

I don't know why everyone is so surprised with the price. Most Disney movies are $25-$35 when they come out on Blu Ray. In the 5 disc set you're getting 2 full movies and 3D version which adds another $10. This is spot on with all of their other releases.

I bought the LE. Didn't even hesitate. That is by far one of the coolest LEs ever! I love the case + having every version of Tron I could ever want is awesome. I rarely use my digi copies, but I'm def uploading Tron: L to my iPhone. I loved the movie. I agree that the music brought it up a huge notch, but it was still a thoroughly enjoyable action movie.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']$60 for the regular 2 pack? I'll wait.[/QUOTE]Amazon does tend to price their initial listings for movies as higher than when they actually release, and they follow Best Buy, Target and Walmart weekly ads pretty closely, so if this does go cheaper by release date, you'll have that price, plus the coupon discount. They all have pre-order price protection, so you will get the cheaper price.

Some items that had coupons on them (Bambi, Secretariat) have dropped in price at least once before they released, so you have the coupon benefit on top of the cheaper price, all from Amazon. Bambi dropped once, Secretariat dropped three times.

[quote name='thelonepig']Amazon has a $5 coupon up on it now. Clip to redeem.[/QUOTE]I think the coupon works on only one of the three versions, so if you want the coupon, think hard about which one you want with it.

When I "clipped it" for the two-movie non-LE version, it came up as showing to be "clipped" for the two-movie LE version.
Coupon appears to work on multiple items in the promotion, as I put both the two-movie LE and the two-movie non-LE into my cart, checked out, and both coupon discounts of $5 were on the order.

I'll lock in an order for both versions, with the coupon, and cancel the version I don't want closer to the release date. That way, I have the pre-order price guarantee and the coupon discount locked up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is everyone getting so excited about the pricing? I'm sure it will drop down around release time, like every other movie.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']Why is everyone getting so excited about the pricing? I'm sure it will drop down around release time, like every other movie.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

I pre-ordered the non-glowing version with the $5 off, I'm sure its bound to drop $10-15 more between now and release date. I wouldn't even know where to put that if I had gotten it.

I'd bet that someone will have the five-disc 2-movie non-LE version at $40-$45 by release date, such as Best Buy or Target, and Amazon will go through and match the price, plus get the extra $5 off with the Amazon coupon.

It's also likely that there will be a $5 B&M coupon as well.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd bet that someone will have the five-disc 2-movie non-LE version at $40-$45 by release date, such as Best Buy or Target, and Amazon will go through and match the price, plus get the extra $5 off with the Amazon coupon.

It's also likely that there will be a $5 B&M coupon as well.[/QUOTE]

I know it'll drop, that's why I said I was going to wait. They'll probably have a deal like they do with most disney movies, $10 off or so. I guess we will see.

put in a preorder for the normal 5 disc set. I would like to know what specials come with it as it seems like it is lacking in them. I expected an extra disc of just them. Still 10 bucks a disc isn't bad.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']I know it'll drop, that's why I said I was going to wait. They'll probably have a deal like they do with most disney movies, $10 off or so. I guess we will see.[/QUOTE]Alice In Wonderland didn't have an Amazon coupon for its outright purchase, though there was one when you purchased it with Bambi, also for $10.

Secretariat had a $8 coupon on Amazon and it had a $8 B&M coupon to go with it.

Bambi will be coming out next month and had a $10 coupon for it on Amazon, so I'd wager we'll see a $10 coupon at B&M for it.

Not sure if there will be a larger coupon with Tron Legacy or not at B&M, though if practice follows what we've seen, it may only be $5.

There's also a $8 savings to buy Tron Legacy 4-disc and Tron "classic" single-disc on BD together, though as they're $34.99 and $27.99 respectively, you might as well as buy the 5-disc single package and come out ahead at $50.99, instead of $54.98 for the two separate movies. At current prices, of course.

[quote name='Civickid96']Where is the $5 coupon that everyone is using?[/QUOTE]
here :D it is automatically applied at checkout. that's why amazon lists $55.99 but here in the thread we are speaking of $50.99

[quote name='shrike4242']
There's also a $8 savings to buy Tron Legacy 4-disc and Tron "classic" single-disc on BD together, though as they're $34.99 and $27.99 respectively, you might as well as buy the 5-disc single package and come out ahead at $50.99, instead of $54.98 for the two separate movies. At current prices, of course.[/QUOTE]^^^$5 for the 4disc + original $8 for the 2disc + original
so this is what i see:
Items: $55.98
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Promotion Applied: -$5.00
Pre-order Guarantee: -$0.00
Best Value Savings: -$8.00
Promotion Applied: -$0.00
pixel-grey._V192251177_.gif

Total Before Tax: $42.98
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00

i think the extra $5 is some credit i had no clue i had. So yeah, to correct ya but agree with ya in the end....might as well just go for the 5 disc if it's only a $3 difference

EDIT: sorry for the double post forgot i was on cag and not SD (where your back to back posts are automatically merged:)

EDIT: tron umd is $10 w/ FSSS

Hmm... I wonder if they're going to put out another "super special" edition with more special features and such... Are there details on what kind of features we're getting with this? Commentary? Anything?

That is the thing that has me having second thoughts. If it does not come packed with extras for both movies I will cancel and hold off till it goes even lower in price or one with more extras comes out.

I'll end up with the 5 disc version someday since another CAG keeps saying I need to give the movie a second chance, but no way will I spend $50 on it. I'm holding out for $30 for that set.

[quote name='shadowkast']^^^$5 for the 4disc + original $8 for the 2disc + original
so this is what i see:
Items: $55.98
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Promotion Applied: -$5.00
Pre-order Guarantee: -$0.00
Best Value Savings: -$8.00
Promotion Applied: -$0.00
pixel-grey._V192251177_.gif

Total Before Tax: $42.98
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00

i think the extra $5 is some credit i had no clue i had. So yeah, to correct ya but agree with ya in the end....might as well just go for the 5 disc if it's only a $3 difference

EDIT: sorry for the double post forgot i was on cag and not SD (where your back to back posts are automatically merged:)

EDIT: tron umd is $10 w/ FSSS[/QUOTE]

How are you getting the $8 and the $5 on the same order? I can only get the $8 to come up with the 2 disc of Legacy and 2 disc of the original. The $8 does not activate with the 4 disc Legacy and 2 disc original.

ok, ordered one. hoping to see some price drops, and want to get a 2nd one for trading or selling later. (there are some steelbooks I'm interested in, this would make for nice trade bait). I just wish that the digital copy wasn't a disc; I'd prefer that 5th disc be an extras disc.

Just a heads up, I checked my email and got a $5 coupon from amazon, it was sent to my coupon book. I didn't order the beastly set here, just the normal 5 disc that is $55.99, which came to $50.99 after the coupon. Hopefully it comes down a little more. I'll pay $51 for it, but I'd like it to be a little bit less.

Here's a dumb question.....Is the 3D version the kind that you need a 3D TV for or is it the kind where the oldschool 3D glasses come inside the case?

Supposedly, the $5 / $8 Tron coupons have an "expiration" timeframe of 02/10/11, so people may want to lock in a pre-order now and worry about it later.

I've never seen both movies, but after watching a few scenes from the 1982 version, not sure what to expect from the new version. Is it good enough for a blind buy? I might buy it either way, though, if there is a coupon.

I hope the Disney Movie Rewards codes are worth more in the box set, as opposed to buying both separately. Even the same would be cool, I just hope we don't end up with 125 only.

They need to release a double blu-ray of both movies. No extra discs. I don't need a 3d, DVD, or digital disc. No way I'm paying for discs I'll never use.

This is the problem with blu-ray/dvd. Too many studios going for the combo packs for more money.

[quote name='Ather']They need to release a double blu-ray of both movies. No extra discs. I don't need a 3d, DVD, or digital disc. No way I'm paying for discs I'll never use.

This is the problem with blu-ray/dvd. Too many studios going for the combo packs for more money.[/QUOTE]

I might use the dvd as I like to bring movies over to friend's houses and not all of them have blu ray players. I don't need a digital copy or 3d blu ray. Hell, I'd just be happy if they had a 2 disc set with Tron Legacy BD and Tron BD.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']I might use the dvd as I like to bring movies over to friend's houses and not all of them have blu ray players. I don't need a digital copy or 3d blu ray. Hell, I'd just be happy if they had a 2 disc set with Tron Legacy BD and Tron BD.[/QUOTE]

This is what I'd prefer as well...I like the boxset and all, but I can't afford it. All I really want is a BD of both movies! Hopefully Disney has some coupons of some kind closer to release.

I can see having a DVD copy, a 3D copy but a digital copy disc is stupid and I wish they'd stop relying on that. Once the code is redeemed, the disc is worthless. Such a waste.

I don't mind the digital copy but what I don't get is why can't everyone include it on the DVD disc like most WB titles currently do?

I loved this movie. I don't think I will buy the blu-ray until I move though the Bass is crazy in this movie and I think my neighbors below me will be upset. They got all mad about Inception.

this would be a blind buy for me so i'd also prefer if there was just a single disc blu ray. I guess i'll just have to get the blu/dvd combo pack.

one question......Would I be able to follow this movie without having seen the original Tron?

[quote name='thesis88']I've never seen both movies, but after watching a few scenes from the 1982 version, not sure what to expect from the new version. Is it good enough for a blind buy? I might buy it either way, though, if there is a coupon.[/QUOTE]

I loved both of them. Are you a fan of Daft Punk? IMO the soundtrack, the way it was actually used in the movie was worth the buy. The soundtrack itself garnished mixed results, but most everyone agrees it's fantastic in the movie.

[quote name='mr_bungle']I loved both of them. Are you a fan of Daft Punk? IMO the soundtrack, the way it was actually used in the movie was worth the buy. The soundtrack itself garnished mixed results, but most everyone agrees it's fantastic in the movie.[/QUOTE]I'll agree with you there, the soundtrack in the movie was pretty amazing and well-suited for the scenes in the movie.

[quote name='joeyatog']This is what I'd prefer as well...I like the boxset and all, but I can't afford it. All I really want is a BD of both movies! Hopefully Disney has some coupons of some kind closer to release.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they have a $10 Tron Original upgrade coupon and a $10 or $5 Tron Legacy coupon. The 5 disc will probably be around $40-45 at release, so $15 off I'd buy it. I guess we'll have to wait and see if they will have coupons.

[quote name='basis']Does anyone know when this will be released? Amazon didn't provide a date estimate.[/QUOTE]Amazon emailed me about one part of my pre-order, saying that April 5th was the release date.

Not sure if that holds true or not.

just finished watching the original for the first time in years....and saw the pacman and mickey mouse easter egg....(yes it's the full movie and allowed to be on there). My wife walked in and was like "WTF is this?!" poor woman had no clue what any of the new movie was based on :(

[quote name='shadowkast']just finished watching the original for the first time in years....and saw the pacman and mickey mouse easter egg....(yes it's the full movie and allowed to be on there). My wife walked in and was like "WTF is this?!" poor woman had no clue what any of the new movie was based on :([/QUOTE]

It's really pretty amazing how much Legacy really was an actual sequel to Tron, and actually required one to have seen the first, to really know what was going on. I would not have been surprised, with this gigantic big-budget sequel to a relatively obscure movie (yes, it's a classic among nerds and 80s fans, but it's not something EVERYBODY knows), if they had tried to make it more accessible to people who had never seen the first, as many late sequels have to do.

But nope, they didn't do that at all. Like, the scene where Sam was digitized by the laser. Without having seen the first, which visually shows Flynn getting digitized, you'd really have no fucking idea what had just happened to Sam, as instead of showing it like in the original, the scene just sort of zooms in in a weird way.

Props to Disney for actually letting it really be a sequel, and not hand-hold neophytes.

[quote name='shadowkast']just finished watching the original for the first time in years....and saw the pacman and mickey mouse easter egg....(yes it's the full movie and allowed to be on there). My wife walked in and was like "WTF is this?!" poor woman had no clue what any of the new movie was based on :([/QUOTE]

Pacman and mickey mouse easter egg? where was that in the film?

[quote name='sendme']Pacman and mickey mouse easter egg? where was that in the film?[/QUOTE]

Pac-man is on the big map screen in the bridge of Sark's ship, just after Flynn, RAM, and Tron escape the lightcycle grid. He's shouts "Get them," and then knocks over the lackey standing next to him. About 45 minutes in. The visual is small, but it has the "waka waka" Pac-man sound effects clearly audible and everything (as well as the "game over" sound when the lackey falls over).

Mickey Mouse shows up during the solar sailer ride, right after Tron and Flynn are reunited, and Tron asks Flynn what happened to RAM. The next wide shot of the sailer flying by, watch the ground, and you'll see Mickey. It's not the "three circles" Mickey icon, but a giant profile of a smiling Mickey face on the ground beneath the sailer.

bread's done
Back