TRU - Buy 2 get third FREE (all platforms) 10/27

Last year I bought 3 games and I returned one of them to exchange for Mario Party 5.

So are you guys saying that won't happen this year? I don't remember seeing them as $33.33 on my reciept.

Possibly I was looking at the wrong thing or it was ticketed wrong. The TRU I go to still uses those white tickets with the prices. I'll be going back tomorrow I think, so I'll double check.

[quote name='silliemutafuka']Last year I bought 3 games and I returned one of them to exchange for Mario Party 5.

So are you guys saying that won't happen this year? I don't remember seeing them as $33.33 on my reciept.[/quote]

Same here, I got the $50 credit for each game and I waited until the games I wanted (NFSU, SOCOM 2, etc) to come out at the end of last year. It's not like they are losing money when I do this because I'm buy $50 games so my free one can be $50. It's just that this deal should be later when all the AAA titles come out. I would like to get GT4, Ace Combat 5, X-men Legends, Metal Gear Solid 3, Halo 2, and GTA San Andreas.

Thanks for the info BBB, and thanks for speaking out on behalf of all us TRU employees against the jerks trying to rip us off or get around the system.

[quote name='silliemutafuka']Last year I bought 3 games and I returned one of them to exchange for Mario Party 5.

So are you guys saying that won't happen this year? I don't remember seeing them as $33.33 on my reciept.[/quote]

You got that deal because the person working the customer service desk was an idiot, or the R-Zone leader was an idiot.

You're not supposed to be able to return any games from a deal such as this unless you return ALL the games.

[quote name='Death2Sanity']Thanks for the info BBB, and thanks for speaking out on behalf of all us TRU employees against the jerks trying to rip us off or get around the system.[/quote]

you work at the one on Glenwood or the one at Crossroads?

Casey:

Glenwood...when I came to Raleigh, I didn't realize there was one at Crossroads...I regret that now, for they pay better, but I'm pretty much a staple now at the Glenwood store.

[quote name='Death2Sanity']Casey:

Glenwood...when I came to Raleigh, I didn't realize there was one at Crossroads...I regret that now, for they pay better, but I'm pretty much a staple now at the Glenwood store.[/quote]

Everyone at Crossroads is like over 30 though. It seems that Glenwood hires younger people.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']

Everyone at Crossroads is like over 30 though. It seems that Glenwood hires younger people.[/quote]

Yeah, Glenwood does seem to...I think we're the 'college student' store, although a friend of mine who also goes to State does work at the other.

Yeah, if they for some reason gave you $50 credit for each game then they are plain stupid. And there are many of those people in TRU... espcially managers. The difference is that managers don't like to say no to customers. They feel that they are always right. But in the end it isn't my store or my money. So if you get away with it God Bless You but watch the bad karma. It will just be my job to make sure you will have to crawl to hell to get Halo 2. Eh, might be worth it.

But there are a TON of games out by then. I am already looking at Burnout 3, Rainbow Six3: BA, and SW: Battlefront! That is basically $100 gone. I might wait on RS3 mainly because I am sure I can get it cheaper.

I don't think they allow you to return the Free game because it rings up Zero in the system. They probably will fix the return policy this year so if you return and game you have to return all of them or get store credit for $33 for each games. Anyway, looking to get X-Men Legends, Burnout 3, and either Ace Combat 5 (if it's out) or Phanton Brave (if they carry it). Also I hope they will allow you to use it on $20 games although I think last year it was limited to $40 games and up.

TRU has started to apply coupons or deals, in most cases, to the entire receipt. I had a 10 off coupon, bought three things, it took 3.33 off each item [3.34 off one] so if I returned one item, i would lose that amount of the coupon.
Death2Sanity: I was in that TRU last week, I don't get up there often, but i'll have to keep an eye out for you to say Hi. I can see it now: 'Death2Sanity, Paging Death2Sanity, you have a visitor.' : )

[quote name='MadFlava']I don't think they allow you to return the Free game because it rings up Zero in the system. They probably will fix the return policy this year so if you return and game you have to return all of them or get store credit for $33 for each games. Anyway, looking to get X-Men Legends, Burnout 3, and either Ace Combat 5 (if it's out) or Phanton Brave (if they carry it). Also I hope they will allow you to use it on $20 games although I think last year it was limited to $40 games and up.[/quote]

Nope, last year it was all games. I took advantage of this big time last year since I had just got a PS2 earlier in the year. I got a bunch of $50 games and some $30 games too. I didn't get any $20 games, but I remember it was for all games.

TRU did have a buy 2 get 1 free on Gemecube games $40 and up around the time Soul Calibur 2 came out. I remember I got that, Ikaruga, and Viewtiful Joe on that deal.

[quote name='chickenhawk'][quote name='MadFlava']I don't think they allow you to return the Free game because it rings up Zero in the system. They probably will fix the return policy this year so if you return and game you have to return all of them or get store credit for $33 for each games. Anyway, looking to get X-Men Legends, Burnout 3, and either Ace Combat 5 (if it's out) or Phanton Brave (if they carry it). Also I hope they will allow you to use it on $20 games although I think last year it was limited to $40 games and up.[/quote]

Nope, last year it was all games. I took advantage of this big time last year since I had just got a PS2 earlier in the year. I got a bunch of $50 games and some $30 games too. I didn't get any $20 games, but I remember it was for all games.

TRU did have a buy 2 get 1 free on Gemecube games $40 and up around the time Soul Calibur 2 came out. I remember I got that, Ikaruga, and Viewtiful Joe on that deal.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing this up, I'm interested in getting a bunch of $20 and $30 games this year. I hope TRU carries Katamari Damacy because I would like to try that game out. I also still need to get Street Fighter Anniversary Collection and the Mega Man 10 year Collection. I hope they include GBA games this year too. I still need to get Mario and Luigi, FF:TA, and Fire Emblem...

Yeah, I am going for a few $20 games also. I'm gonna try and hold off on the $40 and $50 games this year since everything goes down in price eventually. Hopefully I can limit myself to 3-6 games if this deal happens.

[quote name='MadFlava']Same here, I got the $50 credit for each game and I waited until the games I wanted (NFSU, SOCOM 2, etc) to come out at the end of last year. It's not like they are losing money when I do this because I'm buy $50 games so my free one can be $50.[/quote]

well I hope TRU figures out a way to put a stop to that this year, they're already giving us a great deal but some people are never satisfied and always gotta find some way to exploit it even further

Does anyone know if TRU even still has a policy for returns without receipt? I bought 4 wavebirds and an xbox live kit there about 3 weeks ago and have one unopened controller and the xbox live kit I would like to return but have lost the reciept...

Is there a storewide policy or does it vary what district your in?

Update: after doing some more extensive searching, as far as i can tell game returns have to have the receipt. What i cant find though is if this applies to game accesories as well?

Looks I was "right" about seeing the wrong price ticket. $20 referred to XIII. I did see Castlevnia CoTM for $10 though, the Majesco release.

The return policy for game accessories is probably the same, that you cannot return without the receipt.

[quote name='x_fiddle']Does anyone know if TRU even still has a policy for returns without receipt? I bought 4 wavebirds and an xbox live kit there about 3 weeks ago and have one unopened controller and the xbox live kit I would like to return but have lost the reciept...

Is there a storewide policy or does it vary what district your in?

Update: after doing some more extensive searching, as far as i can tell game returns have to have the receipt. What i cant find though is if this applies to game accesories as well?[/quote]

It applies to EVERYTHING. This is to prevent people from buying something cheaper at one store and returning it to another store. The only time it is lax is around after the holidays so if you MUST do it that would be the time. You would only get credit also.

hmm.. cool. guess i'll be in on that. but seems like the TRU around my neighborhood seem always out of Titles I'm looking. Unless each store is different

hoping to get Guilty GearXX, GTA: San Andreas and Phantom Brave. if that is possible, which title would be free.. i'm guessing since guilty gear is cheapest it would be the one no?

Thanks for the info.. oh btw, sent you a PM bingbangboom.

I have read elsewhere that Nintendo will be the week prior to this then PS2 and Xbox during this time frame. Something about how Nintendo wants it's own week.

Any TRU employees able to confirm this?

The details on the dates for the BOGO thing should be known next week most likely(the October calendar should be posted for all employees with the ROTO dates for the month). I sort of got a confirmation of the deal today as my store director wouldn't definitely confirm it, but he said at the director's meeting a few weeks ago it was brought up and he told me that there would be a good video game sale coming up. Also, this year for the TRU big book all the offers will automatically ring up at the registers, no coupons needed, so this should be an automatic offer too(the first year it did so well some stores were told to stop the offer early unless you had the coupon).

Last year the video game system deals weren't during the same weeks, but I don't think anyone is sure if they will all be the same week or different weeks yet.

Official TRU return policy is 45 days on electronics, must have receipt. 90 days on everything else with a receipt. If you don't have a receipt on electronics you can't return it. On everything else without a receipt you'll get the lowest price in the last 30 days. Of course they can reject any return they want if they have a reason too. One guy kept returning Unicrons which were at TRU for $50 and Target was clearancing them out for around $11. They stopped the guy after the first 2 times he returned these.

I just know I'm going to spend so much when this deal comes around. Two years ago I remember spending close to $300 during the sale. I also recall that Amazon will also run the sale.

I probably won't get any $50 games for this deal. Games drop so fast that most of the $50 games will be down to $30 or less by the new year, just depends on how badly you want the game I guess.

[quote name='crazytalkx']I probably wont delve too much into this deal since I'm trying to save up my money for black friday.[/quote]

I hope EB does Black Friday right again.

Last year I got GTA:VC and MP2 for a total of 30 dollars.

Also hope to get a deal on a stick of Ram and an X700 at Best Buy

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, which those in the toy retail business fear above all others.

DTCarson: Heh, I typically work only Friday evenings and Sundays, but I'm gone this weekend (Anime Weekend Atlanta...yeah, I'm a dork).

[quote name='maxgle']Does this deal only apply for those $49.99 games?[/quote]

Price doesn't matter. You can pick up 3 $20, 3 $30 and so on.

[quote name='msdmoney']I probably won't get any $50 games for this deal. Games drop so fast that most of the $50 games will be down to $30 or less by the new year, just depends on how badly you want the game I guess.[/quote]
In general I agree, but when you look at first/second party Nintedo releases, especially for Mario, Metroid or Zelda, it is really hard to find a price drop within the first year, if not longer. For example, I don't think that I have ever seen Super Mario Sunshine lower than $29.
That means that buying something like Paper Mario during this week a great deal. The only question is what other games will hold their MSRP value for a long time so you feel like you got a good deal. I am leaning towards Phantom Brave, but I don't know what the 3rd title should be. I'd love to grab Burnout 3, but knowing how EA heavily discounts titles whenever a sequel nears, I'd almost rather wait.
Too bad that MP:Echoes and Mario Tennis will be releaed too late to get a deal on them...

[quote name='masha'][quote name='maxgle']Does this deal only apply for those $49.99 games?[/quote]

Price doesn't matter. You can pick up 3 $20, 3 $30 and so on.[/quote]

So long as the cheapest game is the free one.

Yeah I am only going to get games I can play now mainly because last year I bought so many games that I just got swamped. And I am talking AAA titles... I will have time after the holiday season to catch up if I want.

I didn't see this answered anywhere, but does anyone know if will overlap with the current 50% off sale.

For example, could I get Kya, Mark of Kri, and Silpheed for the low price of $17.50.

[quote name='AzianAsspicker']Ok, i'm confused.. so i can buy 2 games ex: ninja gaiden,star wars: BF, and get a 3rd game for 49.99 free? If so when does it start?[/quote]

1) Yes
2) Look thread title. :shock:
3) More confused?

Depends on the store to limit quantities. But they have the right to limit quantities. Last year, we only allowed 2 of the same title to be purchased. Theres dealers here that sell the games they buy from us, and sure enough they tried buying multiple copies of Vice City. They were so mad when they said "I'd like 12 Vice Cities" and were only allowed to get 2.

bread's done
Back