TRU expired PROMO GC

imri

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Howdy fellow CAGs,

I just realized I have an expired TRU promo gift card (5/3/2014), from MGSV deal. I'm out in NJ and I know the state has pretty good laws about GCs expiring, but I can't seem to find a solid source on this.

Anyone here from NJ and have any experience with this?

Howdy fellow CAGs,

I just realized I have an expired TRU promo gift card (5/3/2014), from MGSV deal. I'm out in NJ and I know the state has pretty good laws about GCs expiring, but I can't seem to find a solid source on this.

Have you tried to use it? How do you know it's expired?

I live in Maine--and gift cards can't expire and all mine have worked well past the expiration date (if there has been one) but I only can speak in terms of promotional gift cards issued by Kmart, I have never run into this situation with TRU

On the front of the GC it states, Expires 5/3/2014, also i checked the balance and it was $0 on the TRU website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy fellow CAGs,

I had a similar experience.

They give promotional gift cards a life span of maybe a month or two at most. After they are expired you are SOL.

I experienced this back in Michigan when Mario 3D Land was released, if purchased with the 3DS you got a $30-40 gift card.

Well I forgot about the card, went back to try and use it just past the New Year 2012 and found out it had expired and because it was promotional they don't have to honor past the date. However this was in Michigan.

If there are laws saying Gift Cards are not allowed to expire out here in New England (Mass currently) or New York/New Jersey areas, I would greatly like to hear/read about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this in regards to NJ

"a rewards card (defined as a card or certificate distributed by the issuer to a consumer pursuant to an awards, loyalty, rewards or promotional program, without any money or other consideration or thing of value by the consumer in exchange for the card or certificate)"

Guess I am SOL, if anyone is reading this and lives in a state where this would still work, let me know and I'll send you the info.

bread's done
Back