TRU Markdowns starting Feb 17

benboxer

CAGiversary!
If any TRU employees see anything missing let me know.
Special Thanks to Zon27, TubTub and other TRU employees

GBA
Shaman King Master of Spirits 19.95
Fear Factor Unleashed 19.95
Dr Mario 14.95
Castlevania 14.95
Zelda 2 14.95
Metroid 14.95
Donkey Kong 14.99
Legend of Zelda 14.95
Excitebike 14.95
Barbie Princess and the Pauper 19.95

XBOX
Bard's Tale 39.95
SNK vs Capcom 29.95
Urbz 39.95
FIFA 2005 29.95
Nascar 2005 29.95
Tiger Woods 2005 29.95
Burnout 3 39.95
ESPN MLB 2K4 19.95
Def Jam 2 39.95
Men of Valor 39.95
Fight Club 29.95
Full Spectrum Warrior 19.95
Ninja Gaiden 39.95
NBA Ballers 19.95

GameCube
Urbz 39.95
FIFA 2005 29.95
Nascar 2005 29.95
Tiger Woods 2005 29.95
Def Jam 2 39.95

PS2
Urbz 39.95
FIFA 2005 29.95
Nascar 2005 29.95
Tiger Woods 2005 29.95
Def Jam 2 39.95
King Arthur 29.95
Shaman King PoS 29.95
Shadow Hearts Covenant 19.95
Bard's Tale 39.95
King of Fighters Max Impact 29.95
Get on Da Mic(w/o mic) 19.95
Burnout 3 39.95
Spy Fiction 19.95
Fight Club 29.95
MK Deception KE 49.95
Phantom Brave 29.95
ESPN MLB 19.95
NBA Ballers 19.95

PC
Fairly Odd Parents Shadow Showdown 12.95
Incredibles 19.95
Incredibles When Danger Calls 19.95
TMNT 4.95
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault 39.95
Battlefield Vietnam 29.95

Penny Guides-Prima
WWE Day of Reckoning
NBA Live 2005
Transformers
NFSU
YuGiOh Sacred Cards
Bond EON
Mario & Luigi
Ninja Gaiden
Mario Party 5
Star Wars Jedi Acadamey
Fire Emblem
DBZ Budokai
Super Mario 4
Mafia
Medal of Honor Rising Sun
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Burnout 3
Yugioh Worldwide Edition
Tak 2
The Sims Bustin Out
DBZ Buu's Fury

After paying for them?? I would have told those manager people to F off. If they took that merchandise from you, that is a crime, because once you pay for them, those guides are yours. They CANNOT take them back after acceptance of payment.

[quote name='maxflight']OP or anyone working in TRU, I picked up a few guides (15 to be exact, so not really hoarding anything), checked out fine, it was $0.15, when I was walking out I saw some green tag stuff so I went back to the cashier. Now it seems like some of the manager level people kow about the penny guides and took my guides back, saying that they can't sell the penny guides. they were also saying that they have to take them all off the rack when the price goes to a penny.

I just want to know if this is the rules, that if price changes to a penny, they have to take them off the rack.

what was funny was that the guy working there took every single guide there to check the prices. there must have been at least 40- 50 unique ones.[/quote]

[quote name='JohnnyA']After paying for them?? I would have told those manager people to F off. If they took that merchandise from you, that is a crime, because once you pay for them, those guides are yours. They CANNOT take them back after acceptance of payment.

[quote name='maxflight']OP or anyone working in TRU, I picked up a few guides (15 to be exact, so not really hoarding anything), checked out fine, it was $0.15, when I was walking out I saw some green tag stuff so I went back to the cashier. Now it seems like some of the manager level people kow about the penny guides and took my guides back, saying that they can't sell the penny guides. they were also saying that they have to take them all off the rack when the price goes to a penny.

I just want to know if this is the rules, that if price changes to a penny, they have to take them off the rack.

what was funny was that the guy working there took every single guide there to check the prices. there must have been at least 40- 50 unique ones.[/quote][/quote]

AGREED

[quote name='bapti2529'][quote name='JohnnyA']After paying for them?? I would have told those manager people to F off. If they took that merchandise from you, that is a crime, because once you pay for them, those guides are yours. They CANNOT take them back after acceptance of payment.

what was funny was that the guy working there took every single guide there to check the prices. there must have been at least 40- 50 unique ones.[/quote][/quote]

AGREED[/quote]

My boss is on vacation this week (the other managers don't wanna do anything that he won't approve of so the stuff is gonna sit there for a little bit), most of the R-Zone associates don't care about the penny guides so we sell them to each other and get whichever we want. I even pulled almost all the stuff we had from the back room to fill the shelf. If anyone hits my store they'll be happy. There is still a few Ninja Gaiden Guides, lots of Mario/Luigi, lots of mario party 5, lots of burnout 3, lots of other stuff. No more fire emblem though, the only one we had was beat to hell but I took it anyways.

So if anyone needs anything.

[quote name='Zon27'][quote name='bapti2529'][quote name='JohnnyA']After paying for them?? I would have told those manager people to F off. If they took that merchandise from you, that is a crime, because once you pay for them, those guides are yours. They CANNOT take them back after acceptance of payment.

AGREED[/quote]

My boss is on vacation this week (the other managers don't wanna do anything that he won't approve of so the stuff is gonna sit there for a little bit), most of the R-Zone associates don't care about the penny guides so we sell them to each other and get whichever we want. I even pulled almost all the stuff we had from the back room to fill the shelf. If anyone hits my store they'll be happy. There is still a few Ninja Gaiden Guides, lots of Mario/Luigi, lots of mario party 5, lots of burnout 3, lots of other stuff. No more fire emblem though, the only one we had was beat to hell but I took it anyways.

So if anyone needs anything.[/quote]

so does that mean that you guys ARE supposed to pull the penny guides?

[quote name='trunks982']theres no shadow hearts in NYC TRU ARGH!![/quote]
i'm guessing you went to the one in Times Square? i was planning on heading over there after i make a stop off at Suncoast. if that's the one you went to, then i might have to check out one of the other ones if i can get a car on sunday.

[quote name='maxflight'][quote name='Zon27'][quote name='bapti2529'][quote name='JohnnyA']After paying for them?? I would have told those manager people to F off. If they took that merchandise from you, that is a crime, because once you pay for them, those guides are yours. They CANNOT take them back after acceptance of payment.

AGREED[/quote]

So if anyone needs anything.[/quote]

so does that mean that you guys ARE supposed to pull the penny guides?[/quote]

Probably. Last time we did this they got thrown into a cart and whatever people wanted they bought...but the rest were killed (the back cover was removed, the barcode). Officially were probably suppose to pull them and kill them but no one at my store has said that to any of the R-Zone employees, afaik. So I gladly sell them for a penny or free.

To SnakeEater: Culver City, CA

We are supposed to pull the penny guides and destroy them to make sure no one can purchase them or get them for free. The agreement with the guide people is that the guides will be destroyed and the store gets credit for them. My managers cool, he lets employees/customers just take them, though. He gets angry when one gets rung through the register. TRU actually takes a hit when one gets sold for a penny as they won't receive credit for that guide(thus losing a couple dollars) plus it hurts the relationship with the vendor.

[quote name='tubtub']

We are supposed to pull the penny guides and destroy them to make sure no one can purchase them or get them for free. The agreement with the guide people is that the guides will be destroyed and the store gets credit for them. My managers cool, he lets employees/customers just take them, though. He gets angry when one gets rung through the register. TRU actually takes a hit when one gets sold for a penny as they won't receive credit for that guide(thus losing a couple dollars) plus it hurts the relationship with the vendor.[/quote]

thanks for the explanation, I feel better now

I checked out the TRU in Torrance, CA tonight and couldn't find Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I asked an employee and she said she didn't hear anything about any price drops in the games section. They did have Phantom Brave though (several copies), although I'm kind of glad I didn't know that was $30 because I don't need to be spending even more money.

[quote name='robdees']Thanks OP. Picked up Shadow Hearts tonight. It was marked at 49.99 on the shelf but scanned at 19.95. The employees recognized me from the green tag sale last week when I bought around 12 games. One guy asked, "How can you play all those games?" Good question my man, good question.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I called Tru and the guy told me it was 49.99 by just looking at the label and not ringing it up. I'll take a chance and go there to buy it, even though it's a 20 minute drive to get there.

[quote name='MadFlava']Thanks for the info, I called Tru and the guy told me it was 49.99 by just looking at the label and not ringing it up. I'll take a chance and go there to buy it, even though it's a 20 minute drive to get there.[/quote]

Here's a strategy that I've used in the past -- call and just ask them to look up the price for "X" UPC. That way they have to walk over to a register and key it in. You may get some funny responses asking what it is, but I've found that it usually works. (you can look up the UPCs for most stuff on half.com)

i got back home.. i bought

mario party 5 (3)
sc:pandora tomorrow (3)
burnout 3 (3 for ps2)
tak 2 (1)
star wars: jedi arcademi (5)
viewtiful joe (2) but its not penny 1.50
shadow hearts its 19.99 but i already have it...so i passed up..
oh.. funny thing.. i got all free..the casher said " JUST TAKE IT" im not joke.. it happened today 10:11 AM.. (they opened 10:00am)

so PM me.. im looking for star ocean 3 guide and ninja gaiden
and more..

crap, my TRU is brand new and only killed NBA 2005 and Tak 2(still on shelf due to free offer with game). They did give me a Tak 2 guide free, but the guy said all they had on the shelf to penny out was the NBA 2005 guide. he probably would have given me some others but they never had them.

Anyone have the following, PM me and I will gladly Paypal media mail shipping:

Burnout 3(xboxb)
NFSU(xbox)
Ninja Gaiden(xbox)
Bond EON
Mario & Luigi
Fire Emblem
Pandora Tomorrow(xbox)
Sims Bustin Out
DBZ Budokai
Super Mario 4

Penny Guides-Prima
WWE Day of Reckoning
NBA Live 2005
NFSU
Bond EON
Mario & Luigi
Ninja Gaiden
Mario Party 5
Star Wars Jedi Acadamey
Super Mario 4
Mafia
Medal of Honor Rising Sun
Burnout 3
The Sims Bustin Out

I'll be looking for these

called my tru today to see if they had a couple guides, e.g. transformers, ninja gaiden. the guy says we trashed those already yeah, sucks doesn't it, he asked me.

THEN, i actually went to the store anyway, and guess what? there are tons of guides, same ones i saw last time. every single one i wanted i grabbed real quick and they all rang up at a penny. i gotta go back now

those friggin *&%#*$# TRU tricksters.!!!

If anyone is looking for Shadow Hearts Covenant in the Raleigh/Durham area, I called around and the only place that has them is the Durham TRU. Two left

[quote name='Doylerulez']I've never had a problem before, but they refused to sell me 2 (could have been 20) penny guides today because of "store policy". I wasn't being a dick about it, but not selling because they "have to deface them and throw them out". WTF.[/quote]

Don't be too sore at them. Most, if not all companies when dealing with clearance merchandise will always mark it down to a penny. That doesn't mean that it's really going to be sold for that- its simply to get it written off the books with items with retail monetary value. Anyone that actually finds a place willing to sell them for a penny should consider themselves beyond fortunate they were actually sold that way.

My previous 2 employers (one game store, one entertainment store) did this, and the moment we marked the stuff to a penny, it was thrown into a box and put in back to be thrown out.

O.K. recap for the day, went to TRU didn't see too many new clearance games just some more E-reader cards and some crappy new GCN games added like Universal Studios something or other. They were also sold out of Shadow Hearts: Covenant so you guys might just want to jump on this while the going is good. I did manage to find some penny guides and I'll list them hear.

Penny Guides-Prima

Mario & Luigi
Ninja Gaiden
Super Mario 4
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Burnout 3

Thanks benboxer and Zon27 for listing the games and guides. It would be great if you guys could list when these guides drop also.

Ok, I just went to two TRU stores near pittsburgh PA. One at Ross Park Mall and the other near Monroeville Mall. Here's what I bought, and a few other things of interest if I can recall them...

Ross Park TRU:

I bought:
Arc the Lad PS2 $7.49
Sword of Mana GBA $11.98
Bloodrayne XBOX $5.49
Zelda Wind Waker guides $1.50
Medal of Honor Rising Sun Guides FREE (1 cent w/ 90% off!)
Prince of Persia Sand of Time Guide $1.50

They also had:
1080 Avalanche $11.98
Eyetoy Groove (no cam) $11.98
Spyro GC $9.98
RE:CVX PS2 $7.49
Siren $9.98 (I've never heard of this one :?: )

At the Monroeville TRU:

I bought:
Rallisport Challenge XBOX $6.98
Devil May Cry PS2 $5.48
Tennis 2k2 DC $1.00
Soul Calibur 2 PS2 $7.98
Resident Evil CVX PS2 $5.48
Baldurs Gate DA PS2 $6.48
Xenosaga PS2 (I bought 2 of these) $5.48
Chaos Legion PS2 $5.48

They also had:
Cluc Clu land, Tennis, Donkey Kong 3 Card Reader games - 50 cents!
Various Guides for $1.50 (wind waker, True Crime, Max Payne 2)
NHL 2k2 DC $1.00
2 for $20 games (R Type Fainal, Intellivision Lives PS2, Tomb Raider AOD PS2, and a few others...)
They also had some Castlevania Aria of Sorrows for GBA, which I thought were hard to find, for $19.98.

Go get em :)

If anyone needs any of the guides from the current ToyRUs drop, PM me. I have a huge stack and willing to negotiate shipping costs/trade etc...

bread's done
Back