TRU Price Increases on DS games?

Iskander

CAGiversary!
Hello! I was at my local Toys R Us the other day, and noticed that quite a few DS games were marked up to above the standard 29.99 MSRP, which I thought was quite odd. I can't remember everything exactly, but here's a general idea of what I can remember. prices should be at least close:

Trauma Center: 32.69

Tomb Raider Legend: 33.99

Harvest Moon 31.79

Mega Man ZX 32.98

Well, that's as much as I can remember, although I'm sure there are more. Is this strictly a YMMV thing, or are these price increases across the board at other TRU's?

i live in new york city and i've seen crap go for above msrp on a bunch of things at bestbuys/CC's, etc...the nearby 'datavision' is selling wii remotes for 59.99, go figure

mSrp.

Suggested.

It's not a crime, but I would definitely stop shopping at those store locations and notify a district manager about it.

Oh yeah, and: "In for 2! thanks OP!"

saw trauma center at that price in a toys r us in the bay area. made me do a double-take and had me thankful that i got one in a trade with a CAG. a price increase on ds games? strange, i say...

I noticed this same thing in Spartanburg, SC, and figured it was some kind of local goofy screw up or something. Didn't realize it was nationwide, odd.

Hmm, oh, now that I think about it, since there's no "anti-deal" forum this probably belongs on the discussions board. My apologies!

I seem to recall seeing LOZ: Minish Cap and Super Mario Advance 3 for 36.99 at some point as well, so it must just be a wacky Toys R Us thing that I can't fathom a reason for.

I had noticed similar things on accessories at both BB and TRU...my local BB now charges $1-2 more than MSRP price on most Sony Branded PS2 accessories like controllers and memory cards...and that my TRU was selling the PS2 mem card adaptor for the PS3 for $20 when Target and BB were selling it at a non sale shelf price of $15.

I guess they are finally figuring out that most of the world are not CAGers and most people either don't know the actual 'normal' price and/or can't be bother to shop around that much when the price variations are small enough (ie, they can't jack things up $5 but $1 or $2 they can get away with), they figure they can milk those folks a bit harder. In many cases, even just a $1 increcase in the selling price can significantly up the margin on these products.

Aren't they closing the "Toys" portion of TRU soon? Seems odd to do that otherwise.

I know for a fact that the TRU in my area is closing this year.

[quote name='Kerig']
It's not a crime, but I would definitely stop shopping at those store locations and notify a district manager about it.
[/QUOTE]

a district manager wouldn't fix anything.

those prices are probably sent to all TRU stores by corporate.

It could be possible, no one really buys toys anymore, unless its for kids like, ages 5 and under. Electronics and video games are replacing toys at an alarming rate, for example many 6 year olds already have Ipod's which means that money that was spent on the ipod is not spent on toys, which would be the norm, or at least what older people think of the norm! The money that a 6-8 year old is spending on video games is not being spent on toys etc..

I could see them splitting it into a "baby/toddler (aka ages 5 and under)" and electronics section, and a huge R-zone, which is what retail stores need IMO, much bigger video game departments. They are very successful with their baby departments from what I hear, and the supply of toys for younger kids could go in that department. This would be really good for people who are looking to find more niche games because if they had a bigger video game department they could carry more titles which would mean that games will get easier to find and certain games won't be totally ignored by retail stores.

I actually like the way TRU does things (plastic boxes for games so they do not have to have so called "display" copies), also you do not have to find an employee to open the glass case to get games out you just bring them to the register, but if the prices go up I will not shop there especially with so many other retailers to choose from.

Honestly if they go this way, they will be extremely popular, if toy sales are slaking to the point where they can't move anything then why not pull it (they do seem to have an awful lot of toy clearance lately, pretty much every toy goes on clearance almost now), they will just be giving the public what they want, which cannot be bad.

it is just something TRU does sometimes... they will mark up some stuff and drop a lot of other stuff. brain wave beta and gamma both went up to 22.79 or something like that from 20. now those games dont even sell well there, i have a feeling they will drop back down soon with some of them.

bread's done
Back