TRU Weekly Ad - 3/21 - 3/27

scott_matthews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
73 (99%)
Here are the DVD and Blu-Ray deals in the TRU flier for 3/21 through 3/27.

Toy Story 1 and Toy Story 2 Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Packs
  • $21.99 each or
  • Buy 2 combo packs for $16.99 each.

Twilight Saga: New Moon
  • New Moon Keepsake Box (item 590064) free with purchase of DVD or Blu-Ray - In-Store only
  • DVD - $24.99
  • Blu-Ray - $29.99
The Blind Side
  • DVD - $16.99 (reg. $19.99)
  • Blu-Ray - $22.99 (reg. $29.99)

Disney Princess DVDs
  • Free Jewelry Box (item 276585, Reg. $7.99) with any Disney Princess movie purchase (in-store only)

Sweet...with the "free" $5 pre-orders for each of the Toy Story combos I got yesterday, plus the various manufacturer's coupons, that should be $16.99 x2 - $10.00 - $10.00 = 12.99...

I'd buy them at Target but with the P&TF super deal I scored yesterday, I've already got an extra $10 off with the pre-orders...

I wonder if they will stay in-stock till Thursday of next week I pass a TRU on my Thursday delivery run and would love to pick-up a set there instead of Target. That way I can go to the same TRU tomorrow and use the pre-order deal plus the $10.00 coupon to get the P&TF cheaper. Does anybody know if TRU puts their pre-orders aside and how long they hold them for?

Someone in the Target blu prices thread for next week just reported that the price is $22.99 each, NOT $19.99 each at Target, so TRU will be cheaper on each by a buck.

UNBELIEVABLE! INCONCEIVABLE!!!

Disney's Upgrade2Blu has taken down the Toy Story 1/2 uprade. Just like the 3 PotC movies, it's no longer available. Oh well, I'm already getting an awesome deal the $8 (or $16?!?) extra off won't kill me.

Last edited by a moderator:
No man, the AD read 2 ways. If you buy 1 its $21.99, if you buy 2, its $16.98 each.

$21.99 TS1 b4 promo + $21.99 TS2 b4 promo - $10 TRU - $5 TS1 - $5 TS2 = $23.98

or

$16.99 TS1 after promo + $16.99 TS2 after promo - $5 TS1 - $5 TS2 = $23.98

[quote name='jetsaredim']Where is this "buy both get $10 off" coupon?[/QUOTE]

It's my understanding that there isn't one, it just automatically takes $10 off when you purchase two.

Toy Story 1 & 2 is such double dip fodder.

I guarantee that they will release a Toy Story 1-3 boxset before the end of 2011 (perhaps before the end of 2010 even!) with all 3 films remastered in 3-D. Just watch. Probably why they are trying to make such a good deal on it.

[quote name='Ruined']Toy Story 1 & 2 is such double dip fodder.

I guarantee that they will release a Toy Story 1-3 boxset before the end of 2011 (perhaps before the end of 2010 even!) with all 3 films remastered in 3-D. Just watch. Probably why they are trying to make such a good deal on it.[/QUOTE]

I don't see the problem. Don't buy the new releases. I don't have a 3d TV but my understanding is they can render 2d to 3d anyway.

[quote name='Ruined']Toy Story 1 & 2 is such double dip fodder.

I guarantee that they will release a Toy Story 1-3 boxset before the end of 2011 (perhaps before the end of 2010 even!) with all 3 films remastered in 3-D. Just watch. Probably why they are trying to make such a good deal on it.[/QUOTE]Honestly, there's more than a few movies that will be double-dipped without much surprise, and yes, I can see these being one of them.

Any of the "single" movies from a triology/quadriology/etc. that are out in BR form will likely be double-dipped into a box set or re-release when the other movies come out.

[quote name='typical guy']I don't see the problem. Don't buy the new releases. I don't have a 3d TV but my understanding is they can render 2d to 3d anyway.[/QUOTE]

I'm not buying these releases. I will buy the 3-D trilogy boxset (that will probably have more extras, too) when it comes out later this year or next. Note that these movies were already exhibited theatrically in 3-D. They are doing the same thing with Avatar, release 2D first and 3D 6mos later.

I have a DLP 3-D HDTV w/3d glasses, plus plan to buy a 3d blu-ray player. So I will be avoiding this deal.

[quote name='shrike4242']Honestly, there's more than a few movies that will be double-dipped without much surprise, and yes, I can see these being one of them.

Any of the "single" movies from a triology/quadriology/etc. that are out in BR form will likely be double-dipped into a box set or re-release when the other movies come out.[/quote]

In those cases, though, unless the video is an abomination, usually you get the same A/V quality (in fact usually exactly the same encode) with some extras piled on. I'm not so much an extras fan, I'm more about best presentation of the feature.

Anything that is a fully CG rendered movie I would be wary of buying if you plan to go 3-D at any point. If it was a film shot in 2D or a hand-drawn movie I would not be concerned at all, as though these can also be converted to 3-D the effect is usually quite gimmicky looking (recent alice in wonderland release is a good example). But 3D CG can be rerendered to seperate L/R streams, and even if they don't do that its still very easy to convert 3D CG to believable 3D.

[quote name='typical guy']So what exactly happens with the pre-orders? Do they give you a card or a certificate or what?[/QUOTE]They give you a pre-order card that you turn in when you pick up the movies, and it knocks the $5 off the movie that you "put on the card" when you purchased the pre-order.

[quote name='shrike4242']They give you a pre-order card that you turn in when you pick up the movies, and it knocks the $5 off the movie that you "put on the card" when you purchased the pre-order.[/QUOTE]

So just to clear this up for me since I've never done a pre-order. Do I take a movie off the shelf, a pre-order card for TS1, and a pre-order card for TS2 then bring them to the register? I pay $5 for each pre-order card and get $5 off the other movie right? Then when I bring the two pre-order cards in on Tuesday, I don't have to show them the receipt do I?

[quote name='typical guy']So just to clear this up for me since I've never done a pre-order. Do I take a movie off the shelf, a pre-order card for TS1, and a pre-order card for TS2 then bring them to the register? I pay $5 for each pre-order card and get $5 off the other movie right? Then when I bring the two pre-order cards in on Tuesday, I don't have to show them the receipt do I?[/QUOTE]

Yes you do they usually staple your receipt to the pre-order card for you and tell you to make sure you keep them together.

Is it possible to pre-order two copies of each toy story movie and get two seperate $5 discounts off the princess and the frog then add the $10 coupon to it? Then when you go to buy the Toy Story movies, use four 10 dollar coupons. All five movies will cost $7 and you can sell a copy of each toy story movie in a couple weeks for hopefully 15 dollars each? Of course there's also the $8.50 in movie bucks in the two copies you keep that you can use or try to sell as well (for at least $5 each?).

Anyway, does that sound possible or will TRU not allow two $5 discounts for pre-ordering all that?

I picked up Princess and the Frog yesterday for $2 and a $10 pre-order for Toy Story 1&2. I should be able to get The Toy Stories for $4 when it's all said and done. Assuming, that is, that TRU takes those coupons.

Guys, I have no idea what happened but I went to TRU and pre-ordered both Toy Story movies on Blu Ray and bought the princess and the frog with the $10 coupon. Here's what the receipt says:

Presell Toy Story 2 BDDVD 5.00
$15 off selec item 5.00-0.00

Princess and frog BD
$15 off selec item 34.99-15.00
Disney promo 19.99-5.00
$8 off selec item 14.99-8.00

Presell Toy Sotry BD-DVD
$15 off selec item 5.00-0.00
Disney promo $5.00-0.00

Vender Coupon 10.00-

Subtotal 6.99
Then it adds sales tax.

Somehow when you buy princess and the frog BD/DVD combo and pre-order the Toy Story 1 and Toy Story 2 BD's then give them the $10 coupon, the total is only 6.99+ tax. I don't know how that works out but there must be an additional discount that they aren't advertising. Just an FYI for anyone that hasn't bought it yet or wants to get a gift for family.

Just found via Slickdeals: http://disney.eprize.net/moviereward.../toystory1and2 (WARNING: This page only describes the offer. Click "Home" and log into DMR to take advantage of the offer.)
This is the more traditional Disney upgrade coupon: Log into DMR (join it if you haven't already), enter the UPC from a DVD (or this time, even VHS) copy of TS or TS2 as your "magic code", and get a $10 coupon.

UPCs from the most recent DVD editions:
TS 10th Anniversary Edition: 786936294507
TS2 2-Disc Special Edition: 786936294521
Ultimate Toy Box: 717951005816

UPCs for the VHS toy stories:
Toy story vhs 786936670332
Toy story 2 vhs 786936127683

The coupons are NOW LIVE. As with the $5 coupons, they are separate $10 coupons for TS and TS2; you need UPCs for both films to get links for both coupons. They have the same terms as the $5 coupons (except the expiration date is April 11), so if you buy both BDs you can use both coupons.

Though some have reported the Ultimate Toy Box UPC gets you both coupons, that is YMMV; someone else said they only got TS and not TS2. When you enter it, look for TWO banners on the "success" screen--one for TS, the other for TS2. If that doesn't happen, enter one of the TS2 UPCs above.

My local TRU was picked clean of any sign of TS1/TS2 pre-order deal today. That store has a poor selection of movies, so it's not hard to do.

Looks like the store had a TON of traffic the last few days due to bike sales and great weather.

I was planning on going to TRU today and preordering, but my daughter's sick so I'm home with her.

For people who have preordered, and are going to try to use both the $10 and $5 Disney coupons - if that takes the price of each to $1.99 and you've put a $5 deposit down, how is that going to work? TRU gives you back $3.01 per combo pack? I just can't see that happening.

[quote name='megashock5']I was planning on going to TRU today and preordering, but my daughter's sick so I'm home with her.

For people who have preordered, and are going to try to use both the $10 and $5 Disney coupons - if that takes the price of each to $1.99 and you've put a $5 deposit down, how is that going to work? TRU gives you back $3.01 per combo pack? I just can't see that happening.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's going to happen. I pre-ordered on Saturday, but the lady wouldn't let me use the $10 coupon, only the $5 coupon. So PATF was taken down to $1.99, but I still had the $10 pre-orders for both Toy Story 1 and Toy Story 2.

But there are some people who were able to use the $10 coupon as well, taking their TOTAL down to $1.99 plus tax. Come Tuesday, they'll use the two $10 upgrade coupons to get TS1 and TS2 for $1.99 each. They'll walk away with all three for about $6 plus tax. Not too shabby.

so what is the conclusion about using more than 1 manufacturer's coupon?

I have the $10, $5, and $8 (upgrade2blu) coupons and it would be awesome to use the $10 and $8 coupons. I know someone said target's policy is one per item, but what about TRU?

Wait till Friday before you buy your copies at TRU! There is supposed to be a Buy One get One free deal on friday and saturday on all DVD and Blu-Ray movies.

I am not 100% sure but that is what I heard today from a pretty reliable source. It may turn out to be complete BS so hopefully someone who works there can confirm one way or the other!

[quote name='iluvmywife']Wait till Friday before you buy your copies at TRU! There is supposed to be a Buy One get One free deal on friday and saturday on all DVD and Blu-Ray movies.

I am not 100% sure but that is what I heard today from a pretty reliable source. It may turn out to be complete BS so hopefully someone who works there can confirm one way or the other![/QUOTE]
Where did you heard this from? Private Source?

[quote name='bdg7884']Can you still do the preorder trick and get 15 off another blu?[/QUOTE]
yes today is the last day, you can't pre-order tomorrow since its street date.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']yes today is the last day, you can't pre-order tomorrow since its street date.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I made it Toys R Us with 2 minutes to spare before they closed. Got the last Princess and The Frog combo pack, and also the last pre-order card for Toy Story.

[quote name='iluvmywife']Wait till Friday before you buy your copies at TRU! There is supposed to be a Buy One get One free deal on friday and saturday on all DVD and Blu-Ray movies.

I am not 100% sure but that is what I heard today from a pretty reliable source. It may turn out to be complete BS so hopefully someone who works there can confirm one way or the other![/QUOTE]

I'll put it to an end right now. Sale is only for DVD only, Blu ray is excluded.

Has anyone who didn't pre-order Toy Story/ Toy Story 2 tried to use the two $10 off coupons at TRU yet today? I figure I'd call to see if they had any left and then try my luck using the two coupons after work today. Just wondering if it works.

[quote name='crazylikeafox11']Has anyone who didn't pre-order Toy Story/ Toy Story 2 tried to use the two $10 off coupons at TRU yet today? I figure I'd call to see if they had any left and then try my luck using the two coupons after work today. Just wondering if it works.[/QUOTE]

I just did. They took the two $10 coupons no problem. Got TS1/2 for about $16 total after taxes. My TRU had a lot in stock. I looked in their normal DVD section but they had another section set up across from it that was nothing but TS1 and 2.

by any chance, can anyone scan the Toy Story 1 Coupon for me? The site is not allowing me to print anymore coupons, and I want to buy another set of combo packs.

[quote name='thesis88']by any chance, can anyone scan the Toy Story 1 Coupon for me? The site is not allowing me to print anymore coupons, and I want to buy another set of combo packs.[/QUOTE]You get two printouts and that's it.

I gave the other coupon to my brother and law. I want another one so that I can buy a set for my girlfriend that's why.

[quote name='crazylikeafox11']Has anyone who didn't pre-order Toy Story/ Toy Story 2 tried to use the two $10 off coupons at TRU yet today? I figure I'd call to see if they had any left and then try my luck using the two coupons after work today. Just wondering if it works.[/QUOTE]
the TRU I went to said they weren't selling Toy Story 2 to people unless they pre-ordered it, what kind of BS is that?

[quote name='seanhassars']the TRU I went to said they weren't selling Toy Story 2 to people unless they pre-ordered it, what kind of BS is that?[/QUOTE]

It is BS. They told me I wasn't allowed to choose the Blu-ray editions because I didn't pre-order them. They only had the standard dvd editions on the shelf...

[quote name='seanhassars']the TRU I went to said they weren't selling Toy Story 2 to people unless they pre-ordered it, what kind of BS is that?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thesis88']It is BS. They told me I wasn't allowed to choose the Blu-ray editions because I didn't pre-order them. They only had the standard dvd editions on the shelf...[/QUOTE]

Maybe they only got enough for pre-orders. Otherwise they can't do that. Maybe it was a poor choice of words.

[quote name='thesis88']It is BS. They told me I wasn't allowed to choose the Blu-ray editions because I didn't pre-order them. They only had the standard dvd editions on the shelf...[/QUOTE]

Because of the rush of pre orders over the weekend and this past week, A lot of stores didn't get enough copies of the Blu ray to cover even all the pre orders. That's why stores are not selling copies without pre orders.

bread's done
Back