True cost of DS Lite?

work88

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I am considering a DS Lite purchase but have never previously owned a handheld system. Just as a home console invariably requires the purchase of some peripherals (memory cards, extra controller, etc..) I am curious what else is needed for a fully functioning DS Lite.

1) Power supply: I assume an adaptor is the most efficient for home use but what is the best battery choice?

2) Accessories: Which accessories are considered essential? Screenshields, extra stylus', carrying case, etc...?

3) All things considered, what is an approximate total cost for owning the DS (start-up cost)?

4) Anything else I should know before purchasing?

I am a big fan of SRPG and CCG's (which the DS/GBA have in abudance) and the ability to game with others via Wifi sounds great. The only problem is I do not have a wireless internet connection. That being said, is the DS still worthy of a purchase?

Thank you in advance for any response.

1) Rechargeable battery is included, and it's pretty damn good.

2) I personally don't have any accessories and don't consider any essential. I'm also not neurotic about invisible scratches and such. An extra stylus was included with mine. Think about how you care for your system and get what's appropriate for it.

3) To me, just system + games. You can even find some bundles out there.

4) It's sweet.

For a Wi-Fi connection, you can get all sorts of solutions, including the Nintendo branded adapter. Definitely worth taking advantage, especially if you have friends who will be online as well.

Yes. The Lite gets 20+ hours on the lowest brightness setting. Most people pop ten bucks for a carrying case, but it really isn't necessary. Nor are screen protectors though most people like having them. The only thing you should worry about is what games to buy. As an SRPG guy, Advanced Wars Dual Strike is a must along with maybe Age of Empires DS. Next year we'll be seeing the release of Capcom vs SNK: Cardfighter's Clash which will be worthy of a purchase too. There's also a Yu-Gi-Oh game that is pretty solid and Clubhouse Games is great if you're into non-collectable card games.

1. Comes with a great rechargable battery you don't use the adaptor, only to charge.

2. Maybe an extra stylus if you tend to lose things, if you care bout the screen maybe a screen protector (but that is really optional). If you don't have Wifi but want Wifi, you will need a USB Wifi adaptor which costs $40.

3. Well the system is $130, but then you need to buy some games which cost extra, and you will be buying games trust me. If you want Wifi and you don't have Wifi you will need he adaptor which costs.

4. Yes don't limit yourself to just rpg games and such there are great games all around, and have fun.

I finally bought the onyx one recently and the only extras you'll need would depend on your level of nitpickyness in terms of:

A) Wanting to keep the screens flawless? Buy Hori screen protectors.

B) Not wanting to see fingerprints? Get a silicone type case protector, etc.

Aside from those, just money spent for the games. It comes with the rechargeable battery and the AC adapter so that's taken care of -- unlike the ancient GBA of yore that used the double A's.

Wouldn't worry about Wi-Fi as there aren't that many games that take advantage of that right now. I'm still trying to get it to connect to my router to try out Clubhouse Games.

The DS Lite is worth every penny IMO for portable gaming. Relatively compact in size for on the go and pick up anytime games. Can't beat that.

[quote name='furyk']Yes. The Lite gets 20+ hours on the lowest brightness setting. Most people pop ten bucks for a carrying case, but it really isn't necessary. Nor are screen protectors though most people like having them. The only thing you should worry about is what games to buy. As an SRPG guy, Advanced Wars Dual Strike is a must along with maybe Age of Empires DS. Next year we'll be seeing the release of Capcom vs SNK: Cardfighter's Clash which will be worthy of a purchase too. There's also a Yu-Gi-Oh game that is pretty solid and Clubhouse Games is great if you're into non-collectable card games.[/quote]

Yu-gi-Oh Nightmare Troubador is great. Put a bunch of hours and I'm not that into yu gi oh. Highly addictive and actually kind of got me into the game.

Thanks for the responses, CAG never dissapoints. One final question: Any speculations on a price drop after the holidays? I would hate to buy it now only to get a price drop within the next few months.

[quote name='furyk'] As an SRPG guy, Advanced Wars Dual Strike is a must along with maybe Age of Empires DS. Next year we'll be seeing the release of Capcom vs SNK: Cardfighter's Clash which will be worthy of a purchase too. There's also a Yu-Gi-Oh game that is pretty solid and Clubhouse Games is great if you're into non-collectable card games.[/QUOTE]

If you don't own Culdcept for PS2 pick it up. Awesome mix of monopoly and MTG.

Nope. The system just sold a hair under a million units. Your best bet is to watch the local ads. One of the big box stores is bound to toss something free your way (probably a starter kit or Brain Age).

Start up cost would be the cost of the system and a game to play. There are no accessories needed. I would recommend picking up a screen shield (the Horis are awesome) and some sort of carrying case. I got Hori screens for less than $10 shipped and you can get a basic case for $5-10.

Personally, I carry mine around in my pocket sans case all the time. I do own a case, but more often than not I like just having it out of sight in my pocket when I'm not playing.

Slightly off topic, but the original DSes are still selling very well on ebay for those interested in upgrading to the lite. I just sold mine for $110 + shipping so I was able to upgrade for 20 bucks.

$129.99 - system
+tax for system
+$29.99-$39.99 - average costs for a good game, unless you find some nice deals.
+tax for game
----------------------------------
~$175-$185

- systems come with extra stylus, power charger adapter.
- only real thing you need to worry about is simply taking care of it.
- protectors and carrying cases are unnecessary, but some ppl like em (i got my carry case stuff for free).

The only thing you need IMO besides a case of some sort ($10) is a screen protector. Pelican's that they sell everywhere like Best Buy are just fine.

But just put on the bottem one, not the top one. The top screen ALREADY has a screen protector over it, and if that ever got wrecked Nintendo sells new ones for a couple of bucks.

But since it's a touch screen, get a screen protector when you first get it, and just make sure you put it on right away so the screen is clean.

And what's a CCG? There are tons of good/solid RPGs and strategy games on the GBA/DS, although I don't think many are online yet (plus I don't know that the DS can support voicechat at the same time as gameplay just because it's CPUs probably aren't fast enough).

Oh yeah, and as others have mentioned, Advance Wars: DS is crack. It's a strategy game and not a strategy RPG, but just awesome.

I think the third Final Fantasy Tactics game is coming to the DS if you like those. (Personally I don't, but...)

And Atlus keeps releaseing tons of GBA RPGs that look pretty cool. I've been surprised by how many they've pumped out just in the last few months. Those Super Robot Generation strategy/RPGs look cool too, though they sound really hard-core (like you spend tons of time in the menus customizing stuff before battles).

You don't need anything to go with your lite to make full use of it (unlike the PSP, or consoles)

Some people like screen proctectors because it gives them peace of mind, whereas others find it hinders gameplay and lessens the quality of the screen, so don't consider them essiential nessicarily.

(I actually got my DS lite for about $30-50 ;) second hand though)

You really don't notice the Pelican screen protector when it's on-and then if/when it gets scratched, you can just swap it. It's really a good deal IMO and I wouldn't dream of not using one on any touch screen.

And not all the "big" consoles need anything extra either. Many of the PSP packages have already included a Memory Stick, and the non-tard pack 360 has a hard drive, the Playstation 3 does as well, and the Wii has internal storage for saves.

bread's done
Back