Trying to find the name of an odd PS2 RPG

lukenot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I remember a while back being interested in an RPG for the PS2 that had a Western theme. Looked like a JRPG, but literally a Western theme set around the turn of the century, I think. I also recall animals talking in it and an Indian Cheif.

Anyone remember this game?

Thanks in advance.

Shadow Hearts From the New World is the one. Thanks a lot.

Anyone know if it's any good? I normally don't play rpg's, so this one interested me since it looks funny and quite different from the usual tripe.

Shadow Hearts FTNW is pretty good. Very good combat system, a good game in its own right. Although Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant are much much better.

Play Shadow Hearts: Covenant instead. FTNW has a better combat system but that's about it. The characters, plot, and settings are boring or annoying. I was starting to hate all the characters around the time I stopped playing. That was really disappointing considering the characters were one of the highlights of Covenant.

I really liked the first two Shadow Hearts... I haven't played FTNW because I didn't feel a need to seeing as how it looks so different from the first two.

[quote name='cletus']Play Shadow Hearts: Covenant instead. FTNW has a better combat system but that's about it. The characters, plot, and settings are boring or annoying. I was starting to hate all the characters around the time I stopped playing. That was really disappointing considering the characters were one of the highlights of Covenant.[/QUOTE]
Yup, that's exactly right. FTNW was one of the biggest disappointments for me. I could barely finish it because the story and characters were so boring.

I'll just echo everyone else. If you're interested in Shadow Hearts, play Covenant, not FTNW. Shadow Hearts Covenant is one of my favorite rpgs ever.

[quote name='Dezuria']I'll just echo everyone else. If you're interested in Shadow Hearts, play Covenant, not FTNW. Shadow Hearts Covenant is one of my favorite rpgs ever.[/quote]

Can you play Covenant without playing the first game in the series? Is it a "part 2" or its own game?

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']Can you play Covenant without playing the first game in the series? Is it a "part 2" or its own game?[/QUOTE]

It's a direct sequel to the first game so you'll miss out on a few details but the second game's story is completely independent for the most part. You'll get a general overview of the first game as you play so you won't be lost or anything (you might be at first but everything clears up).

I have to recommend the first Shadow Hearts (one of my favorite PS2 RPGs) and not SH2. SH2 took the dark humor of SH1 and spun it out of control into what turned into a really goofy game. Not to mention it seems either the writers or translators never played the first game. (The reunion scene on the bench where the two characters act like old friends? Come on.) I may get around to finishing 2 at some point but the new tone was a real turnoff.

Shadow Hearts are some of the most heavily debated, love-it/hate-it games I have come across.

As for my part, I enjoyed the first game, though I found the storyline to wander or slow down too often. Covenant is my favorite of the series - I love the humor in it. Plus the game is so long it feels like you get two games for your money. FTNW was also a good game, IMO. It has the goofy humor from Covenant and I really enjoyed the atmosphere that existed in many of the areas (Chicago, Roswell, etc).

Every game was worth the retail price, as far as I'm concerned. FTNW is the most accessible. It is also the shortest. While Covenant is a direct sequel to the first game, they do a great job explaining the back story and you never really feel lost.

bread's done
Back