Turning a Wired connection into a wireless connection?

lnguyen831

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
OK I am a little confused,

I have a laptop with a Wi-Fi card installed and I am currently using a connection that is wired.

If I buy a wireless router, is the router all I need? Also, is a wireless router hard to setup?

Thanks

[quote name='lnguyen831']OK I am a little confused,

I have a laptop with a Wi-Fi card installed and I am currently using a connection that is wired.

If I buy a wireless router, is the router all I need? Also, is a wireless router hard to setup?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

its a bit more compleciated then that... i know shit about wiring these things but it would seem like a lot more work then you said.

Ok, do you have access to the cable or DSL modem itself? Cuz you're saying you've got your laptop plugged in directly, and I'm just making sure this is something you own, as opposed to a dorm room or something (just making sure).

If that's the case, all you'd need to do was buy a router (preferably a G, assuming your wifi card can handle that) and plug it into your modem.

Then you'd make sure your wifi card was turned on in your laptop, and you ought to be able to get a connection without issue.

The router's documentation/manual would be able to clear up any issues like security (WEP or WPA) and how to access all the settings.

In all reality you should be able to get up and running within 30 minutes of opening the router's box, so it's an easy task.

Let me/us know if you need more help.

BTW, I suggest Linksys routers. A bit more expensive, but they seem to work. Do NOT get a Netgear. I've had lots of trouble with them.

It is really easy. All you need is a router. Just do as Strell said, setup the router and make sure your wireless card in your computer is on. It should automatically detect the network and ask you if you want to connect. There may be some other things to do, like setting up security but it should take you no longer then half hour, as Strell said. Over all it is really simple.

Thanks a lot guys, I'm going to get a wireless router tomorrow, I also have one more question.

I have a couple of other computers that do not have a Wireless Card, do Wireless routers support wired connections? Basically I want to know if I am still able to use a wired connection with the wireless router ... hopefully that made sense.

thanks

Well, most routers have ports on them that let you plug computers directly in. In fact, you'll probably get 4 ports on it, meaning you can have up to four computers directly wired into the router, all with net access. Then it's broadcasting a wireless signal as well, so you can have more computers connecting wirelessly.

Remember, you can also get wireless USB adapters - little thumbdrive-like things that you plug into a computer's USB port and it will allow it to connect wirelessly. They are pretty cheap also, in case you want to get more than one computer working wirelessly.

In other words, these other computers can be wired in or be wireless, your choice. I mean if a computer is 20+ feet away from the router, you could go wireless easily. But if it's a few feet away, then it's just a question of getting some CAT5 cable.

Hope this helps!

I understand now, then what's the point of wired routers when you can get a wireless router with both features?

I mean, wireless routers are just about as cheap as wired routers now.. am i missing something herE?

[quote name='lnguyen831']I understand now, then what's the point of wired routers when you can get a wireless router with both features?

I mean, wireless routers are just about as cheap as wired routers now.. am i missing something herE?[/QUOTE]

No, you're not.

Theoretically you could make the argument about how a wireless router opens you up to getting hacked more easily than a wired one, but that's kind of a weak argument. The next argument would concern price, and as you've pointed out, it's kind of weak too.

Wireless capability won't take away from wired capability.

bread's done
Back