Turtle Beach Ear Force X3 Headset $83-86

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Buy.com for $78.99 w/ google checkout

http://www.buy.com/prod/xb3-ear-forc...205560885.html

Dell for $82.99

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A1263673&cs=19&c=us&l=en

Amazon for $85.99

http://www.amazon.com/Earforce-X3-Wireless-Chat-game/dp/B000VHY3GO

Due to the free shipping and possibly no tax, the amazon price winds up being cheaper. Figured I'd list the Dell price in case anyone knew any coupon codes for the site.

Also did a quick search to see if these prices were posted, and didn't find anything so hopefully not old!

Edited in my impressions

[quote name='Ryukahn']Well, tested this a decent amount tonight, so here are my thoughts.

It is a very comfortable fit. I didn't really feel it at all, and I played 5 hours or so of Halo 3 online. The headset seemed to be more comfortable than my old X2 headset, as the ears seemed to be fully cupped with the X3.

Separate sliders for Chat and Audio work Fantastically. You'll need to do a bit of testing with friends to find the right settings for you, but after you have em set up you'll be good to go. *Keep reading for a potential snag in this*

According to friends, the supposed Elimination of Game Audio Mic Bleed was not working, as they said they could hear the game from my mic. I moved my mic as far as possible from my mouth, and was told that the game music had gone away. I'm not entirely positive that it was my mic doing this though as one of my friends had times where you could here the game through their mic, so consider this insufficient testing for the time being. I'll try to do more testing with this tomorrow, as this could be a slight issue, though it went fine for me after moving the mic.

Speaking of the mic, there seems to be no way of turning off the microphone transmitting your own voice through the headset. However, I only noticed my own voice when I'd have the mic close to my mouth, so this appears to be a non issue, though I still need to test it more.

The receiver is RIDICULOUSLY Sensitive. ANY kind of blockage between the receiver and headphones means your sound will come in low or not at all. Even moving to the sides too far one way will cause the sound to drop, as will it if you are too high or low in regards to the headset from the receiver. Don't plan on doing a lot of walking around once you put these on, or else you are gonna drop sound a lot. This issue was non-existent for me since I sit in a chair while I game, and I'm not entirely sure this should be a huge issue at all, but the level of sensitivity is questionable considering the high price tag this commands.

If you have the headset on but dont have anything with sound going, you will hear a low buzzing sound unless the game audio is turned down very low. Once sound is actually playing it isn't noticeable at all, but if you are just chilling with no other sounds coming in, you will definitely hear it.

Stuff not tested that this mic supposedly does - Bass Boost, Stereo Expander, Dynamic Talkback Level Control (I assume this may have kicked in at some point during normal gameplay without me realizing it, but since I already put separate settings for game and chat I'd think this wouldn't be of much use). I can try to test these tomorrow if there is interest in the features, though personally I didn't have much interest in them.

I think that covers everything the headphones can do. Overall I'm satisfied with them and I feel they are a nice upgrade over the X2, though if the headphones are bleeding into the mic, my opinion may change (though it wasnt an issue after I moved the mic). If there is something I forgot or any questions you have feel free to ask.[/quote]
[quote name='Ryukahn']The hissing sound that was barely noticeable during Halo 3 sessions is now more noticeable when playing games without much action (such as XBLA). If I can't fix the hissing I'm most likely going to return it, as it is rather annoying.

Also, a few times when I turned it on today, the sound was only coming through one side of the headset, and it only corrected itself after I turned the game volume way up and then back down again.[/quote]
Final Thoughts...

The hissing makes these unuseable for me, which I am positive comes from the Mic Moniter feature that they advertise as being a plus. Personally I don't see any use for this and feel it was incredibly stupid of them to not have an option to turn it off. It's a shame, since besides the hissing the other issues I have with the headset are minor.

I own the X2s, and they are great, but lacking some things found in the X3s. I'm most likely gonna pick up a pair of X3s to replace my X2, but I want to figure out what i'm gonna do with my X2 first.

[quote name='Jewelz23']damn, those are some expensive headphones...does anyone on this site own a pair of those?[/quote]

These are the newest Ear Force headphones that act as a headset and headphones in the same set. I've heard good things about the x1's but not the x2's.

Anybody here tried the x3's?

[quote name='Ryukahn']Dell for $82.99

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A1263673&cs=19&c=us&l=en

Amazon for $85.99

http://www.amazon.com/Earforce-X3-Wireless-Chat-game/dp/B000VHY3GO

Due to the free shipping and possibly no tax, the amazon price winds up being cheaper. Figured I'd list the Dell price in case anyone knew any coupon codes for the site.

Also did a quick search to see if these prices were posted, and didn't find anything so hopefully not old![/quote]
http://www.buy.com/prod/xb3-ear-force-x3-wireless-headphones/q/loc/108/205560885.html
i just bought them with GCO it came out to $78.99 shipped
i recently ordered the X1 from buy.com but sent it back(it had a lot of wires and sound was okay) to get the X3 ..buy.com ships very fast i ordered the X1 on sep 25th ,got them the next day somehow
hopefully, these X3 are really as improved as turtle beach says they are because i will go with these http://www.buy.com/prod/tritton-ax360-true-5-1-gaming-headphones-with-8-strategically-placed/q/loc/101/202636837.html everybody says that the sound is incredible but of course i only found out about it after i ordered the X3s :wall:

well it sounds good, however because of my big head, the ear pieces are squeezing against my ears and after about 20 mins, it hurts :(

Now only if they made a behind the head version , then all is good. And yes, its a lot of wires :(

Hi:

I just picked up the X2's from buy.com for $43 shipped with Google checkout. I would love to have gotten the X3's but I can't see the extra $40 being worth it.
I'm sure the X3's will come down in price in about 3 months.

I will post a review when I get the x2. If anyone is interested in the buy.com X2's for $53 less $10 google checkout the link is below:

http://www.buy.com/prod/turtle-beac...t-w-2-5mm-microphone/q/loc/108/202423290.html

Kevin

I picked up the X3 headset and I have been really enjoying it. Along with it being a nice xbox live headset (my friends say they can hear me better on it), I also really like using them as wireless headphones for my TV, etc, especially during latenights in the dorm building. They are over the ear headphones are comfortable for long usages. I have a single room, but do have neighbors, so it never hurts to be extra cautious.

[quote name='DeskLaser']I picked up the X3 headset and I have been really enjoying it. Along with it being a nice xbox live headset (my friends say they can hear me better on it), I also really like using them as wireless headphones for my TV, etc, especially during latenights in the dorm building. They are over the ear headphones are comfortable for long usages. I have a single room, but do have neighbors, so it never hurts to be extra cautious.[/quote]
good to know ...i can`t wait to use them

I had these headphones but I didn't like them. The great feature was the "dynamic talkback" or whatever...which was nice but caused a faint to more-than-faint distortion because you can never turn the mic off and it's very very sensitive. Not enough to hear noise usually, but just enough to activate the mic and thus the "dynamic talkback" which causes the hissing.

Also the sound quality wasn't as high as the X1's were. Any IR based wireless headset seems to have that problem. I can see where they can be nice headphones, but I didn't feel the need to pay $85 for them (got them at Amazon myself).

Just my two cents. Hopefully others will have better results.

I have the X3's and I paid about $90.00 for them. I think they are good headphones for the 360 but I ran into one problem. These headphones are IR based and if you own a plasma then DON'T buy these headphones. I learned the hard way that plasma TV's (HDTV) emmit an IR signal and these headphones definitely pick this up as noise or interference. I haven't been able to get rid of this problem as of yet so I suggest anyone with a Plasma HDTV to avoid these headphones all together. Otherwise great set of headphones.....

teamxbox.com said they were really good, but said becareful with the wireless one as they are prone to interference.

Anyways yes the voice chat sounds kind of muffled. Sound is pretty good (a notch higher then my cheap logitech behind the ears as it was so much discomfort. If you have a big head, then this is NOT for you :(

good to know about the Plasma TV interference.

Thanks for the buy.com link w/ google checkout, just ordered one. The extra savings were enough to convince me to upgrade! :bouncy:

ordered a pair, grabbed the prime trial, and Amazon mistakenly sent it ground, will have impressions next week >_

[quote name='vesp']ordered a pair, grabbed the prime trial, and Amazon mistakenly sent it ground, will have impressions next week >_

[quote name='Maklershed']Do these bad boys emulate 5.1 surround sound?[/quote]

Nope...
Stereo Expander

The X3 transmitter incorporates a stereo expander feature that spreads the stereo signal to provide a "wider" effect. This results in a richer, fuller sound than normal stereo – almost as if it originates from outside of the headphones.
The expander is most effective on sounds that spread across both ears, like rain, wind, and background music. Directional game sounds, like bullets flying across your head, won't be affected, so as not to change their positional characteristics.
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx3/home.aspx

I am very wary of buying these headphones. IR transmission requires Line of Sight and I am worried that that will annoy me a great deal. Also, several people have commented on the muffled sound. Finally, I use optical audio out and I have yet to determine how these will hook up to my system.

[quote name='Jewelz23']damn, those are some expensive headphones...does anyone on this site own a pair of those?[/QUOTE]
Expensive? I paid over $250 for my headphones...

My first time dealing with Buy.com, and already disappointed with them. I placed my order at ~6 am est this morning, yet it didn't get shipped today. Kind of regretting getting the super saver shipping if they aren't gonna ship it right away... :roll:

[quote name='Ryukahn']My first time dealing with Buy.com, and already disappointed with them. I placed my order at ~6 am est this morning, yet it didn't get shipped today. Kind of regretting getting the super saver shipping if they aren't gonna ship it right away... :roll:[/quote] i orderer the X1 last week from buy.com with free shipping ...i couldn`t believe it when i got the next day

That is pretty amazing since you are on the opposite side of the country. Maybe their online tracking of the ordering process is just slow to update.

[quote name='Ryukahn']That is pretty amazing since you are on the opposite side of the country. Maybe their online tracking of the ordering process is just slow to update.[/quote] i know ..i think that buy.com has affiliates everywhere..

[quote name='zizo79']i know ..i think that buy.com has affiliates everywhere..[/quote]

They do. They have one in Lebanon, which is only about 45 minutes from Allentown.

Well, the slow updating process guess was right, as I got an email today saying it shipped yesterday. If they used the Lebanon affiliate for my shipment, I should get it tomorrow or Friday, in which case I'll post some impressions for those that still might not be sold on this.

Post away those thoughts. I'm interested but for $85 its a hard pill to swallow. Hearing really great audio through headphones would be great for me however as I'm currently at a location where I cant set up my 5.1 surround system.

I have the X2s, and I would upgrade if I found the X3 on the cheap. The X2 does a fine job except that voice chat volume can not be changed independently from the game sounds. This can result in difficulty hearing other people while playing certain games, e.g. GRAW 2.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Well, the slow updating process guess was right, as I got an email today saying it shipped yesterday. If they used the Lebanon affiliate for my shipment, I should get it tomorrow or Friday, in which case I'll post some impressions for those that still might not be sold on this.[/quote]
beware of buy.com return policy : %15 restocking fee for opened items

I don't expect to have a need for returning it unless its defective, but either way, only losing 15% is better than losing full price for a piece of junk. ;)

[quote name='Ryukahn']I don't expect to have a need for returning it unless its defective, but either way, only losing 15% is better than losing full price for a piece of junk. ;)[/quote]
YEAH ..i was thinking that if i don`t like the X3 i would get the tritton and be done once and for all :roll:

definitely a lot of interference ...if you have a plasma, and home theater system...it made a lot noise...the sound is okay ....still checking it out

[quote name='zizo79']YEAH ..i was thinking that if i don`t like the X3 i would get the tritton and be done once and for all :roll:[/quote]

That has kind of been my thought process. I'm getting them more for the sound than the online chat though so maybe I should wait for the independant microphone that I believe Pelican is putting out. Or just wait for a different company (ahem, Microsoft) puts out a good set that is like the X3 but NOT IR and NOT with the ambient noise causing static and muffled sound. That would be nice. 5.1 would be even nicer.

Ever since I played Sewer Shark on the Sega CD/Genesis with headphones I have always LOVED how if feels having the sound right there.

okay now i am seriously thinking about getting the "tritton AX360" ...the sound doesn`t work until you come close to the transmitter . what`s the point of having a wireless headset then
that is my point of view of course

[quote name='PacManess']That has kind of been my thought process. I'm getting them more for the sound than the online chat though so maybe I should wait for the independant microphone that I believe Pelican is putting out. Or just wait for a different company (ahem, Microsoft) puts out a good set that is like the X3 but NOT IR and NOT with the ambient noise causing static and muffled sound. That would be nice. 5.1 would be even nicer.

Ever since I played Sewer Shark on the Sega CD/Genesis with headphones I have always LOVED how if feels having the sound right there.[/quote]
the trittonAX360 has 5.1

I finally got my headset today. I'll try to post a detailed review of it later tonight after extensive testing with Halo 3, for those still wondering.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I finally got my headset today. I'll try to post a detailed review of it later tonight after extensive testing with Halo 3, for those still wondering.[/quote] i just sent mine back ...i didn`t like it

[quote name='Ryukahn']I finally got my headset today. I'll try to post a detailed review of it later tonight after extensive testing with Halo 3, for those still wondering.[/QUOTE]

Please do. I really want to know if you can control voice chat volume independently of the game sounds.

Does anyone know if you can do so with the Tritton?

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Please do. I really want to know if you can control voice chat volume independently of the game sounds.

Does anyone know if you can do so with the Tritton?[/quote]
yes you can control them separatly with the X3 .
Inmy case, there was some kind of static and the sound was okay and once i leave the area where the transmitter is i can`t hear the game`s sound that is why i returned it ..i don`t know about the tritton AX360 but i will getting it tomorrow

Well, tested this a decent amount tonight, so here are my thoughts.

It is a very comfortable fit. I didn't really feel it at all, and I played 5 hours or so of Halo 3 online. The headset seemed to be more comfortable than my old X2 headset, as the ears seemed to be fully cupped with the X3.

Separate sliders for Chat and Audio work Fantastically. You'll need to do a bit of testing with friends to find the right settings for you, but after you have em set up you'll be good to go. *Keep reading for a potential snag in this*

According to friends, the supposed Elimination of Game Audio Mic Bleed was not working, as they said they could hear the game from my mic. I moved my mic as far as possible from my mouth, and was told that the game music had gone away. I'm not entirely positive that it was my mic doing this though as one of my friends had times where you could here the game through their mic, so consider this insufficient testing for the time being. I'll try to do more testing with this tomorrow, as this could be a slight issue, though it went fine for me after moving the mic.

Speaking of the mic, there seems to be no way of turning off the microphone transmitting your own voice through the headset. However, I only noticed my own voice when I'd have the mic close to my mouth, so this appears to be a non issue, though I still need to test it more.

The receiver is RIDICULOUSLY Sensitive. ANY kind of blockage between the receiver and headphones means your sound will come in low or not at all. Even moving to the sides too far one way will cause the sound to drop, as will it if you are too high or low in regards to the headset from the receiver. Don't plan on doing a lot of walking around once you put these on, or else you are gonna drop sound a lot. This issue was non-existent for me since I sit in a chair while I game, and I'm not entirely sure this should be a huge issue at all, but the level of sensitivity is questionable considering the high price tag this commands.

If you have the headset on but dont have anything with sound going, you will hear a low buzzing sound unless the game audio is turned down very low. Once sound is actually playing it isn't noticeable at all, but if you are just chilling with no other sounds coming in, you will definitely hear it.

Stuff not tested that this mic supposedly does - Bass Boost, Stereo Expander, Dynamic Talkback Level Control (I assume this may have kicked in at some point during normal gameplay without me realizing it, but since I already put separate settings for game and chat I'd think this wouldn't be of much use). I can try to test these tomorrow if there is interest in the features, though personally I didn't have much interest in them.

I think that covers everything the headphones can do. Overall I'm satisfied with them and I feel they are a nice upgrade over the X2, though if the headphones are bleeding into the mic, my opinion may change (though it wasnt an issue after I moved the mic). If there is something I forgot or any questions you have feel free to ask.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Well, tested this a decent amount tonight, so here are my thoughts.

I think that covers everything the headphones can do. Overall I'm satisfied with them and I feel they are a nice upgrade over the X2, though if the headphones are bleeding into the mic, my opinion may change (though it wasnt an issue after I moved the mic). If there is something I forgot or any questions you have feel free to ask.[/quote]
i had the same problem about that noise when nothing is playing
didn`t you notice that the sound tends to get low once you step out the area where the transmitter is ? i was like what is the point of having a wireless headset if i can`t walk like 5 to 10 feet away
comfort wise ..the X3 are okay ...my ears got hot and sore after a while
so i decided to return them and get the tritton AX360 for $10 more

7 out of 10 for me

Yeah, the sound did get lower if you walked away, but like i said I just sit in a chair and dont really move from it while I'm gaming so its a non issue for me.

bread's done
Back