TV Tuner recommendations?

torifile

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I'm in need of a TV tuner. I would like to be able to tune Clear QAM as well as analog cable channels. I'd be great if it came with good software to run it (but I've got Windows 7 which is supposed to have DVR capabilities, right?). And mac-compatibility would be fantastic since I dual boot and I'd prefer not to have to worry about what OS I'm running if I want to record. Any recommendations?

[quote name='torifile']I'm in need of a TV tuner. I would like to be able to tune Clear QAM as well as analog cable channels. I'd be great if it came with good software to run it (but I've got Windows 7 which is supposed to have DVR capabilities, right?). And mac-compatibility would be fantastic since I dual boot and I'd prefer not to have to worry about what OS I'm running if I want to record. Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

What video card do you have now that does not have TV tuner features built in?

[quote name='torifile']A radeon HD 4890.[/QUOTE]

You can connect that to a TV NP. Unless I misread the specs on their site.

I think OP is talking about one that they can run their cable line into and record from. I would like to know some that people use also. I plan on some time making a HTPC to use as a DVR and it sounds like OP is wanting to do the same.

[quote name='sendme']I think OP is talking about one that they can run their cable line into and record from. I would like to know some that people use also. I plan on some time making a HTPC to use as a DVR and it sounds like OP is wanting to do the same.[/QUOTE]

Tag for this reason as well. I'd go TiVO but I hate the idea of subscription fees. Knowing what hardware is needed to pull this sort of thing off would be excellent info indeed.

This one seems to work with both Windows 7/Vista and Mac OSX:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100040

It's a USB tuner and doesn't seem to do analog input. Bbut I'm not sure if you're dual booting from a Mac computer or from a Hackintosh. I'm not sure if those internal PCI-Express or PCI TV tuner will be compatible with Macs. On the other hand, Windows 7 and Vista Home Premium come with Media Center which allows you to program recording time, organize recorded shows, etc.

Personally I'm using the Diamond HD 650 Dual Tuner in PCI-express form, no remote. It works fantasy in Windows 7 x64.

Yeah. I want to tune the tv on my computer. It's a hackintosh so internal is fine. I'll have a look at those links. Thanks guys!

I have one of the Hauppage (sp?) ones in my HTCP, can't recall which model I've had it for a few years. But I can vouch for their products as I have owned another one of their cards in the pass as well, always been good pieces of hardware.

Hauppauge is a good brand and I've been using them in my HTPC for years.

The most recent card I've used is this, since it has two tuners (1x digital/1x analog per tuner) available.

Also keep in mind many cable/satellite companies have encrypted QAM over most of their channels except the local channels (i.e. network channels) so analog recording may be your only option for some other channels. You could run the signal through your cablebox to your tuner to bypass it, but if you want to do any kind of scheduling you'll need an IR blaster as well.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Hauppauge is a good brand and I've been using them in my HTPC for years.

The most recent card I've used is this, since it has two tuners (1x digital/1x analog per tuner) available.

Also keep in mind many cable/satellite companies have encrypted QAM over most of their channels except the local channels (i.e. network channels) so analog recording may be your only option for some other channels. You could run the signal through your cablebox to your tuner to bypass it, but if you want to do any kind of scheduling you'll need an IR blaster as well.[/QUOTE]
I know for a fact that I get a number of HD/digital channels in the clear QAM since I don't have a box and have my TV hooked directly to my cable line. I'm actually not paying for cable at all, it just comes through the line. I didn't do anything to it, I promise! They just didn't put a trap on my line when they hooked my cable modem up. I'm not complaining. :D

As far as digital vs. analog lines go, what's the difference in terms of the coax cables I'm hooking up? Would they just be 2 lines in?

If you already get unencrypted clear QAM, you should be good.

With a dual tuner you still use one input connection, there's just multiple tuners on the card. I haven't used any Windows/Mac software, but with MythTV (Linux) I can configure whatever tuner I want my stuff to be recorded on.

bread's done
Back