TVs are too damn expensive

mash

CAGiversary!
Well my 20" magnavox has been OK for the last few years but its bulky and randomly buzzes etc etc, and I just want a new TV (It will be used for my 360 only). Ive researched small HDTVs, tube TVs, and LCD monitors and I cant find a good solution that is affordable (pref. $300 or less), and quality. I have cables to hook my 360 into LCD computer monitors. My magnavox is 20" I believe and its big enough, though I wouldnt mind the replacement being a little bit bigger. If anyone has a suggestion for a tv or monitor let me know, especially if you own/ed it and use/d it for your 360.

If you can hold out wait till at least Black Friday. Or if you can really wait, wait around till the Super Bowl, as most places have pretty good sales on sets

Wait until after the holidays. There will be a lot of price drops by then and afterwards. There are always sales going on, so you can watch out for those also if you can't wait.

I plan on getting a new 40" 1080P LCD in December or early 2008.

I dont have a huge prob. waiting till after the holidays (though having hdtv for halo 3 would be nice). I'm very tempted by Sporadic's second link...I have the cables and I heard that 22" is great for 360, but 19" not so much.

I'd wait until Black Friday, If the 32" HDTVs were going for $400 last year imagine how cheaper they'll be this year.

[quote name='mash']I dont have a huge prob. waiting till after the holidays (though having hdtv for halo 3 would be nice). I'm very tempted by Sporadic's second link...I have the cables and I heard that 22" is great for 360, but 19" not so much.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I have a 19" Samsung and it works just fine for me since I'm in a smaller room.

As long as you don't plan on sitting super far away, it should still be a good solution to your problem.

[quote name='getmyrunon']Monitors are a pretty terrible investment if all you're doing is gaming on them.[/QUOTE]

Why?

Don't get me wrong I also have my computer hooked up to mine (DVI computer, VGA 360) but if you are buying it just to game on, why would you pay the extra 200+ for a TV?

If you go to garage sales people sell monitors from 1-20 bucks. I got this nice big 19" Flat Screen Dell monitor for 2 bucks, now tell me that isn't the greatest deal out there.

EDIT: Oh and if your worried about widescreen on 4:3 monitors you can set it to a widescreen dimension then lower the vertical length of the image on the monitor.

TVs suck anyway. Don't buy one. Also, monitors can blow me. If you buy a nice monitor for your computer, you're an idoit!!

Try the tv returns I picked up a nice samsung slim fit crt from circuit city for 4 hundred and it is still under warranty. New York Times had an article recently (in the last two weeks) reporting that the next wave of price drops are expected next year. Retailers are gonna try one more holiday season squeezing the highest price for hdtv. They also say avoid the instore warranty.

i have a 19 inch LCD for my 360, it looks pretty damn good on it. especially when i only spent 100 on it. too bad it's not widescreen though :(

[quote name='CYRiX']If you go to garage sales people sell monitors from 1-20 bucks. I got this nice big 19" Flat Screen Dell monitor for 2 bucks, now tell me that isn't the greatest deal out there.

EDIT: Oh and if your worried about widescreen on 4:3 monitors you can set it to a widescreen dimension then lower the vertical length of the image on the monitor.[/QUOTE]

Craigslist is also a great option for finding great cheap monitors. As stated in my signature I'm gaming in 1080p on a 21" Viewsonic CRT monitor I got for $10. CRTs still can't be beat in quality and their ridiculously cheap.

Also I would definitely recommend setting it to a widescreen resolution as most 360 games have really crappy 1280x1024 (the highest supported non-widescreen resolution) support.

[quote name='Chacrana']TVs suck anyway. Don't buy one.[/QUOTE]
Err... I thought you had a Sony WEGA... *is confused*

Regretting that purchase?

[quote name='PyroGamer']Err... I thought you had a Sony WEGA... *is confused*

Regretting that purchase?[/quote]

No, he is tired of being regarded as the TV whore. :D

I use a 22 inch monitor for my 360 and my computer and it works really well. I got the monitor for 200 dollars last year from BestBuy on Black Friday! Worth every penny!

[quote name='Sporadic']Why?

Don't get me wrong I also have my computer hooked up to mine (DVI computer, VGA 360) but if you are buying it just to game on, why would you pay the extra 200+ for a TV?[/QUOTE]

If you need / have use for an external monitor, it's a great deal because it kills two birds with one stone. But I'm a big believer in bang for your buck, and TVs just have far more of it if you're not using the monitor as a monitor.

I got that Olevia 32" lcd last year for $474 with the 100 dollar 3 year warranty. The year before that I got the olevia 26" LCD tv .

instore warranty is great on something like this, our tv went bust right before this deal, and we got to pick another tv for the same price we paid for the last one. so we upgraded and swapped it for a 32" Samsung for 100 bucks more. pretty good deal if you ask me.

Anyway, Soyo has a 24" LCD monitor for 299

http://officemax.shoplocal.com/offi...ber=12&rapid=447080&prvid=OfficeMax-070902BUS

Honestly I think it's worth it to save up a couple extra hundred and get a 32"

If you absolutely need something now I'd check K-Mart. I saw a 26" Syntax (crappy brand, low quality honestly) on clearance. It might be around $300 or less. They also have a 42" Akai rear projection on clearance for $360 (?).

I love my Olevia (aka Syntax) it looks awesome, and for the price, you can't complain. Read the reviews over @ avsforums. This ofcourse was the black friday $474 deal for 32" lcd hdtv that has hdmi, perfect for my elite!

[quote name='getmyrunon']If you need / have use for an external monitor, it's a great deal because it kills two birds with one stone. But I'm a big believer in bang for your buck, and TVs just have far more of it if you're not using the monitor as a monitor.[/QUOTE]

If you get a component-vga transcoder for around $50 then you could use the monitor for plenty of other things too (DVD players, Cable/Satellite Boxes, other gaming consoles), plus any monitor with DVI and HDCP will work with anything with a DVI or HDMI output as well. So I don't really see how a TV is so much better when monitors are usually higher resolution and cheaper unless you want a really big screen.

Even then you could buy a 37inch 1080p westinghouse for cheap if you're into that type of thing. I'd never a tunre, though, as I only watch OTA.

I have a 19' Element Widescreen LCD HDTV that goes up to 1080p with HDMI & VGA on sale for $230 after tax at CC which is going well for me. I play my 360 with Component & PS3 with HDMI and it looks beautiful.

It is normally $329.99 but I got mine on sale for the price I got mine during Memorial Day. They normally have it on sale for around $230.

[quote name='cdeener']I have a 19' Element Widescreen LCD HDTV that goes up to 1080p with HDMI & VGA on sale for $230 after tax at CC which is going well for me. I play my 360 with Composite & PS3 with HDMI and it looks beautiful.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you mean component, if not you would be better off hooking it up VGA if there's no component input.

[quote name='edison']I'm guessing you mean component, if not you would be better off hooking it up VGA if there's no component input.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I always get composite and component confused.

I'm looking for a hi-def monitor for my 360 as well. Which of the deals shown here do you guys think gives the best bang for the buck?

[quote name='help1']No, he is tired of being regarded as the TV whore. :D
[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. And I'm starting to be regarded as the home theater whore too. So I said fuck it. Now I'm into chalk and industrial grade adhesives. Shit's great.

[quote name='AshesofWake']i have a 19 inch LCD for my 360, it looks pretty damn good on it. especially when i only spent 100 on it. too bad it's not widescreen though :([/quote]

sup ashes

Anyway i ended up getting a 22" viewsonic widescreen lcd locally, and Im lovin it. I can actually read text in games now xomg :O. I know i could have saved by getting off brands but I really didnt want to risk having problems like i did with the magnavox, and I've used lots of viewsonics and theyve all been spectacular. Thanks for the help guys, hit it up on XBL (my tag is mashypoo) if you want to play vegas or something.

I love my viewsonic (granted its my PC monitor, haven't gotten VGAs yet) but my one gripe is that it's insanely bright. The 2ms response is nice too, granted I probably wouldn't notice a difference between 8 and 2.

Yeah ive heard a lot of people say they think its too bright but I didnt change brightness on mine or anything and its fine...its the 5ms version though so maybe its another model that has that problem.

bread's done
Back