Twitter contest auto follow problem (sending tweets to mobile device via text)

xmrblondex

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Just wanted to ask if it is default for the twitter contests that when we press the follow button on the site it automatically signs us up for twitter to send every shipwreck tweet to our mobile devices. Because this is what happened to me.

If that wasn't your intention, just letting you know.
If it was your intention, my two cents is that it's kind of annoying for that to be put on automatically, without any word that's what we are signing up for. Some people don't have unlimited texting. (I do, but we are cheapasses, we gotta keep the eye out!)

But anyways thanks for the contest, and hope to hear back soon!

-xmrblondex

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, part of the contest is that you have to follow the user... which means you'll get all their tweets in your timeline.

[quote name='John']Yeah, part of the contest is that you have to follow the user... which means you'll get all their tweets in your timeline.[/QUOTE]
nope, not the problem, love having shipwreck in my timeline, there is an option that you can choose for certain users, to have every tweet they make texted to you. I entered the contest, and that option was turned on. Like I said, don't mind the timeline, I'm glad that I'm following him, I just don't want texts to be sent to my phone when I follow him. Maybe it was a random error, and I only got it, but there's a difference between the timeline and the text. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in the first post.

here's a pic of the option after i unchecked it.
http://plixi.com/p/54579878#

Thanks for taking a look John!

We just use the standard follow API call from twitter - I guess by default it must include mobile notifications. If you disable mobile notifications for a user, does it re-enable it the next time you enter a contest?

I'll have to try it next time there is a contest. I don't remember having this problem the last couple of contests I entered. It might have been because shipwreck was a new follow for me. I don't hear a lot of complaints from other people, so I'm going to assume it was random.

I'm surprised there isn't an option somewhere to change the default behaviour of enabling mobile updates when following a user... maybe there is? (I'm guessing it won't show me any options without putting my phone number in.)

bread's done
Back