Two year old Chinese girl run over twice...18 people ignore her.

will530

CAGiversary!
Not going to post a link because the video is very graphic...just google the topic if you really want to see it.

A disturbing video caught by surveillance cameras shows a 2-year-old girl in China laying in the street bleeding, a victim of a hit and run. Even more shocking is that the toddler was then ignored by at least 18 people, The Telegraph reports.
Video of the incident, which took place Oct. 13, shows pedestrians and vehicles passing by the toddler, named Yueyue, after she was run over outside her family's shop in the Chinese city of Foshan.
The graphic video shows the van driver slightly hesitate before running the girl over.

Not a single person stopped to help the child as she lay bloody on the narrow street. At least 18 people passed by on bikes, in vehicles, or on foot.
Finally, a female trash collector, Chen Xianmei, 58, lifts the girl up and asks people if anyone knows the girl.
The child's mother eventually arrived to claim her, saying the girl's name is Yueyue, The Telegraph reports.
Yueyue remains in critical condition, a nurse told the paper by phone. Earlier, doctors said she had suffered major head injuries and was breathing only with the assistance of a ventilator.

Just to let you guys know why this happen. There been cases in China where a good Samaritan helped someone who fell down, but the person who fell down ended up blaming the good Samaritan and asked him to pay for the medical bill (in some case actually won in court) This is not the first time something like this happen but probably the first time caught on tape. Still there is no excuse for this

i thought that had to have been a girl when i saw the video this morning on the news. girls arent valuable over there its a sad fucking fact of life still i mean cmon and the one chick that does something just drags her to the side of the road , probably not to help her but so motorists wont be hindered by her slowly dying in the middle of the street.
little kids can be so inconsiderate like that ..........

[quote name='62t']Just to let you guys know why this happen. There been cases in China where a good Samaritan helped someone who fell down, but the person who fell down ended up blaming the good Samaritan and asked him to pay for the medical bill (in some case actually won in court) This is not the first time something like this happen but probably the first time caught on tape. Still there is no excuse for this[/QUOTE]

oh damn well i guess i understand that then fuckin hell but i felt bad for that kid. didnt realize the legal system over there was so nutty outside of seeing that richard gere movie......i miss young not so crazy bai ling.

[quote name='62t']Just to let you guys know why this happen. There been cases in China where a good Samaritan helped someone who fell down, but the person who fell down ended up blaming the good Samaritan and asked him to pay for the medical bill (in some case actually won in court) This is not the first time something like this happen but probably the first time caught on tape. Still there is no excuse for this[/QUOTE]

There's also something called the Bystander Effect, that happens all around the world. The quick and dirty summary of it - the more bystanders to an emergency there are, the less likely a given person is to intervene or help. I can't remember if it's because a given bystander will think "hey, one of these other guys will do something, so I don't have to worry", or because they'll think "well, if none of the other guys thinks somethings wrong, then nothing must be wrong".

[quote name='Salamando3000']There's also something called the Bystander Effect, that happens all around the world. The quick and dirty summary of it - the more bystanders to an emergency there are, the less likely a given person is to intervene or help. I can't remember if it's because a given bystander will think "hey, one of these other guys will do something, so I don't have to worry", or because they'll think "well, if none of the other guys thinks somethings wrong, then nothing must be wrong".[/QUOTE]

i remember a story like that where a chick was being attacked and was later killed outside of her apt complex ( possibly by an ex i dunno) but alot of the people in the complex heard her screams but of course like you mentioned most of them figured someone else would probably do something so they all did nothing.

I regret seeing that video yesterday at work on my phone....I thought the scene was not as crude as it was, damn...the state of society is really disgusting, and yes the laws there enforce the no action taken by the bystanders.But the parents must feel awful, cause they lost sight of their child for a couple of seconds and tragic struck them, the poor girl if she survives would be marked for the rest of her life.The video of the girl lifting her hands up, when the back wheel of the truck passed over here for the second time slowly was so disturbing, that really got into me...

[quote name='DestroVega']is it possible they couldn't see her?[/QUOTE]

It might be possible maybe 1 or 2 had tunnel vision and didn't notice her, but all 18 people, I don't think so. She was right in the middle of the road. Saw the video on the news earlier today and was appalled

This upsets me as a human being and horrifies me as a parent.

Very true. I still have many relatives living in China, and unfortunately, this is the mentality of a substantial amount of people in China. Hopefully this incident leads to some more conspicuous Good Samaritan Laws.

[quote name='Salamando3000']There's also something called the Bystander Effect, that happens all around the world. The quick and dirty summary of it - the more bystanders to an emergency there are, the less likely a given person is to intervene or help. I can't remember if it's because a given bystander will think "hey, one of these other guys will do something, so I don't have to worry", or because they'll think "well, if none of the other guys thinks somethings wrong, then nothing must be wrong".[/QUOTE]
Re-quoted so people will stop ignoring it.

[quote name='dohdough']Re-quoted so people will stop ignoring it.[/QUOTE]

It isn't just Bystander Effect in this case

[quote name='lokizz']i remember a story like that where a chick was being attacked and was later killed outside of her apt complex ( possibly by an ex i dunno) but alot of the people in the complex heard her screams but of course like you mentioned most of them figured someone else would probably do something so they all did nothing.[/QUOTE]

I think you're talking about the Kitty Genovese murder. This is the incident that sparked research into the bystander effect and diffussion of responsibility. It's a disturbing story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

There's also the reverse of this. Rescuers suing victims. One story I know of, a woman tries to commit suicide by crashing her car in the middle of nowhere with it bursting into flames. Two passersbys rush over and save her. Both guys end up having breathing and other physical problems afterwards. After they learn she was trying to commit suicide they decide to sue.

[quote name='dohdough']Re-quoted so people will stop ignoring it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read it. Still doesn't make it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='62t']It isn't just Bystander Effect in this case[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying that it was the sole reason, but it's going to be the ignored one.

[quote name='Rodimus']Yeah, I read it. Still doesn't make it right.[/QUOTE]
Good. Because it isn't supposed to make it "right;" it's just one of the explanations as to why people act in an non-moral way. There's probably nothing that will literally make this right.

Not something I could ever watch. Two years ago our next door neighbors that we barely knew accidentally backed over their almost 2 year old daughter in the driveway as they were leaving for work. The girl had come out the front door and the parents didn't see her. She died about an hour later in route to the hospital. I've never been to a sadder funeral in my entire life, never cried so hard from the depths of my soul. My youngest was just a few months younger than her at the time. The world sucks hard sometimes.

It don't think the subject was getting ignored to begin with. We've been talking about it in the thread and most of the coverage I've seen has at least mentioned the bystander effect, maybe not into detail, but it's defiantly not being ignored.

I can't watch the video anymore. We've been running it on the news and every time it comes on I turn away or shut off the TV. It's really heart breaking.

[quote name='Yuckmouth']Not something I could ever watch. Two years ago our next door neighbors that we barely knew accidentally backed over their almost 2 year old daughter in the driveway as they were leaving for work. The girl had come out the front door and the parents didn't see her. She died about an hour later in route to the hospital. I've never been to a sadder funeral in my entire life, never cried so hard from the depths of my soul. My youngest was just a few months younger than her at the time. The world sucks hard sometimes.[/QUOTE]
That's sad. I have a 2 year old and I don't even want to imagine what the parents must have been feeling.

I'd probably feel gutted from the inside for a very long time and constantly think if only this if only that. Ugh.

I wonder if the bystander effect is really relevant here. In the clips that I saw, most of the people were alone when they passed by the girl. The alley wasn't crowded or busy.

[quote name='Yuckmouth']Not something I could ever watch. Two years ago our next door neighbors that we barely knew accidentally backed over their almost 2 year old daughter in the driveway as they were leaving for work. The girl had come out the front door and the parents didn't see her. She died about an hour later in route to the hospital. I've never been to a sadder funeral in my entire life, never cried so hard from the depths of my soul. My youngest was just a few months younger than her at the time. The world sucks hard sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Man u say that is a sad story...Read this one, there was this grandma that was taking care of her grandchildren, when suddenly she hears the youngest boy crying, when the grandma comes, she sees the older girl and the girl told her that she cut the penis of her little brother cause she always heard the grandma telling the child that she would cut his penis if he didnt behave correctly....then the grandma ran with the boy and got into the car and drove away backwards when she rollover the little girl and killed her.That day she lost the boy that died cause he bleed out, and the girl she ran over...The day I heard that story I never forgot it, it was like 8 years ago on a tv news reporter, and at that time that incident happened years ago....That really is another tragic story, that was here in Puerto Rico, imagine the paing of the grandma and her daughter after that, there is no way to forget that , ever.

http://the-diplomat.com/china-power/2011/10/20/chen-xianmei%E2%80%99s-tragedy/

Good Samaritan who helped dying 2-year old girl is being harassed by fellow country men

Chen-Xianmei-and-little-Yueyues-mother-1-560x373.jpg

CHINA - Making headlines around the world is the heart-breaking story of two-year-old Wang Yue. On October 13, a truck and a van ran over Wang Yue in Foshan, Guangdong Province, while 18 people either walked or cycled past the toddler before a scrap peddler, Chen Xianmei, finally rescued her.

According to the Shanghaiist, the public attention has traumatized Chen Xianmei, and has prompted her to flee her home of Foshan:

‘Now with all of the media attention focused on her, as well as government officials and journalists knocking on her door night and day, Chen says she doesn’t even dare to turn on the television anymore.

‘“A lot of people are now saying that I’m doing it to get famous, and to get money. Even my neighbours are now saying so!” she said. “That really wasn’t my intention, and I’m so afraid of hearing what people are saying that I don't dare to watch the news. I’m not out for fame or money.”’

When asked what she thought about the negative things that people were now saying about her, Chen said, “I didn’t steal or rob. All I did was to save a child,” as tears began to fill her eyes.’

Chen-Xianmei-and-little-Yueyues-mother-2-560x307.jpg

Chen Xianmei’s tears aren’t just for herself (she’s clearly being exploited by media reporters and those individuals who are donating money to her). They’re also for Wang Yue, and for a society that has become so hopelessly utilitarian it believes it can just buy someone’s goodness to appear less utilitarian.

Chinese believe by rewarding Chen Xianmei they’re encouraging more people to be like her. But what will probably happen in the wake of Chen Xianmei’s story is a lot of Chinese complaining to the media how they weren’t immediately flooded with praise and money for selflessly helping others.

Her life now turned upside down, Chen Xianmei herself said that if she were to be put back in the same situation, she’d still choose to save Wang Yue’s life. And she probably would – after weighing the pros and cons of doing so.
Really?

Seriously!?

The whole idea of being afraid to intervene is not just happening in China. In the US, there were cases where good samaritans were performing CPR or other medical procedures, or helping remove someone from a burning vehicle, etc, where the victim ended up dying, getting some form of paralysis, or whatever else. Those victims and families went on to sue good samaritans because their actions "may" have (in)directly led to the negative outcomes. Sue happy world, I can't blame people for being cautious. That said, I know I would help, but it sucks that people have to even think about consequences for helping. I don't know if that's what happened here, probably not, but whatever. People also just suck sometimes.

bread's done
Back