U Broke My Sista's Face! FIGHTING THREAD XLV!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='distgfx']I'm willing to drive 3+ hours for SFIV! Man, I don't wanna have to make a road trip to another state just for SFIV, but I'm contemplating it seeing as I'm a very bored man with a lot of time to kill.

You'll love Power Stone, it brought me many hours of entertainment.[/QUOTE]

Me to!

but classes just started and I drive a Ford Explorer so it's terrible on gas..... :cry:

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Me to!

but classes just started and I drive a Ford Explorer so it's terrible on gas..... :cry:[/quote]

Oh... that'd definitely explain it. I take a mix of online and local classes so I have quite a bit of free time despite taking a lot of classes. As for gas money, I guess it would really depend on the states I go through if I were to.

Gas is just under 4 dollars a gallon here. so it costs about 50 bucks each way. I guess I'll get to play it in October when I go home for a Flyers game and to see my family on my birthday.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Gas is just under 4 dollars a gallon here. so it costs about 50 bucks each way. I guess I'll get to play it in October when I go home for a Flyers game and to see my family on my birthday.[/quote]

DistGFX has just been attacked by envy. The attack is super-effective. Overkill!

Why is it so hard for me to play my most anticipated game?

[quote name='distgfx']DistGFX has just been attacked by envy. The attack is super-effective. Overkill!

Why is it so hard for me to play my most anticipated game?[/QUOTE]

What you should do is sell me some of the games in your TL, thus giving you the money to get a plane ticket to Philly and play SF4!

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']What you should do is sell me some of the games in your TL, thus giving you the money to get a plane ticket to Philly and play SF4![/quote]

Plane ticket? I'd rather drive so I don't have to rent a car or use a taxi, not to mention I can then go anywhere I want if I choose to go to another state. I still remember the games you want too but those particular ones are very hard to part with, can't say I haven't been considering it though =P

[quote name='distgfx']Plane ticket? I'd rather drive so I don't have to rent a car or use a taxi, not to mention I can then go anywhere I want if I choose to go to another state. I still remember the games you want too but those particular ones are very hard to part with, can't say I haven't been considering it though =P[/QUOTE]

I looked at your TL again today and I want like 5-6 games. Lemme know.

[quote name='option.iv']Hey guys, I'm trying to get back into fighting games again. And once more, I realize how slow my reflexes are. Well, I was wondering if any of you have any pointers for 2d fighters in general, besides the "practice, practice" routine. I'm still at that stage where I can't control my character on command (missed moves, IADs, etc.). I used to play SB Melee at a fairly high level, but it feels vastly different from any traditional 2d fighter. I just miss those "eureka" moments I had when understanding the inner workings of a game. I just can't seem to achieve such moments with the traditional 2D fighter genre.

SFIV looks nice. Albeit cartoony for my tastes. And freeze frames aren't exactly my thing.

Also, wow on that Kunio-kun MMO. That was the last thing I'd expect from them.[/quote]

practice until you can do the shoryuken in your sleep

[quote name='option.iv']Hey guys, I'm trying to get back into fighting games again. And once more, I realize how slow my reflexes are. Well, I was wondering if any of you have any pointers for 2d fighters in general, besides the "practice, practice" routine. I'm still at that stage where I can't control my character on command (missed moves, IADs, etc.). I used to play SB Melee at a fairly high level, but it feels vastly different from any traditional 2d fighter. I just miss those "eureka" moments I had when understanding the inner workings of a game. I just can't seem to achieve such moments with the traditional 2D fighter genre.[/quote]

I'm not the best person to talk but not many answered.

1. Find someone else to play with. The computer even at the highest level of difficulty can be predictable. Also, the computer rarely uses every weapon or technique at it's disposal. There aren't any people that play fighting games around me so I've been teaching my girl how to play. We play Arcana Heart because it's an all chick game and pretty easy to pick up.

2. Start simple. Play a version of Street Fighter II (seriously, every console has a port of this game so it shouldn't be hard to practice) before you mess around with Guilty Gear or the other stuff.

3. Learn every move for ONE character and what the properties for those moves are. Some moves duck high attacks without blocking and put you at an advantage. Some attacks are good anti-airs. Play around and see what happens. I say one character because too many people just play around with all the characters. That's good when you're new to a game but will kill you when you want to go to tourneys or anything like that. Once you master one character you can work on a secondary character. Most people I know work on a counter character. For example, my main in Street Fighter II is Ken. His counter character is Sagat. And HIS counter is Dhalsim. So, I play a little with Dhalsim so I can effectively beat Sagat everytime.

4. To help with execution, my tip is to calm down. People get behind in a match and they just start going crazy. Once you lose your cool, you've lost your match. This applies to anything in life.

5. Go to shoryuken.com. I love the boards over there even though I just lurk. There's helpful tips for every Capcom game known to man over there. Also, most of the people are pretty helpful if you know how to ask.

Hope this helps a little. Feel free to shoot me a friend request on XBL if you want to play really laggy matches. The real fighting game heads on this thread are MarkMan, JimboSlice(winner of the Third Strike Tournament last year), asianxcore, KainZero, Chacrana, and a bunch of other guys that post here. Sorry if you weren't named but I was just listing from the top of my head.

Word. The best thing to do, is just play. Don't be repetitive. And watch videos/research the games.

depascal22 brought up excellent points... for 2D games you can learn all the moves, but for 3D games I wouldn't suggest it, there are just way too many moves that aren't used. But it wouldn't hurt I guess.

Here's what I do when I find a game I want to play.

1 - Familiarize myself with the game.
I play. Play against the CPU probably, get used to moving my character, the speed of the game, mess around and discover moves.

2 - Online research
I watch videos and read forum posts to get a feel of my character's basic tactics and combos.

3 - Practice mode, practice CPU
I practice the tactics and combos in practice mode, then I play against the CPU to be able to hit the tactics and combos in a match consistently and without really thinking.

4 - Game time
Play against real people, preferably slightly better than me. If they're way better than me, it gets depressing losing 30 in a row and I forget what it feels like to win. If I can steal a game every once in a while it's good.

5 - Extracurricular studies
Take the time to learn other character's and how to punish them and learn not to fall for their traps. For example I lost a scrubtastic match online in SC4 with Mitsu who just did 1A, 1AB, 66BB, and throw. I didn't wanna get caught against it offline so I learned how to block and punish 1A (with Cass 236B), GI 1AB, and punish 66BB (236:B into either 2B+G or 236:B, 236B). If any new combos or setups come out on the internet, practice them.

6 - Play more, watch less
You're gonna hit a point where watching videos doesn't really make you any better, or at least, there's diminishing returns compared to just playing and experiencing more. Things like execution and spacing and all that other crap is all instinct and built in, you never think about it, it just happens.

7. ????

8. Profit!

If you have 3s and a Mic for Xbox, Option.iv, I'd be glad to help you learn the game. Any of the basics you learn in 3s can pretty much be carried over to other 2D fighters.

and Troy, you'll have to post when you get back from University Pinball and let me (and everyone in the thread) know how Street Fighter IV plays.

Dear Mr. Beef,

Rack & Cue at SFSU has SFIV now. I know the school is near your place, so that'll be easier to get to than SJSU.

The bay is going bonkers with SFIV, two colleges have it already. Gotten open up some time in my weekly schedule and head out to SJSU with my hommies.

I don't think my school is planning on getting Street Fighter IV judging from our Ms Pac Man and Galaga machines, so I'm quite jealous.

I wish I was in school if only so I can play some 'cade SFIV. :p

I dun know if UH has a hip arcade or not, though.

Thank you all for the tips, very much appreciated.
[quote name='depascal22']I'm not the best person to talk but not many answered.

1. Find someone else to play with. The computer even at the highest level of difficulty can be predictable. Also, the computer rarely uses every weapon or technique at it's disposal. There aren't any people that play fighting games around me so I've been teaching my girl how to play. We play Arcana Heart because it's an all chick game and pretty easy to pick up.

2. Start simple. Play a version of Street Fighter II (seriously, every console has a port of this game so it shouldn't be hard to practice) before you mess around with Guilty Gear or the other stuff.

3. Learn every move for ONE character and what the properties for those moves are. Some moves duck high attacks without blocking and put you at an advantage. Some attacks are good anti-airs. Play around and see what happens. I say one character because too many people just play around with all the characters. That's good when you're new to a game but will kill you when you want to go to tourneys or anything like that. Once you master one character you can work on a secondary character. Most people I know work on a counter character. For example, my main in Street Fighter II is Ken. His counter character is Sagat. And HIS counter is Dhalsim. So, I play a little with Dhalsim so I can effectively beat Sagat everytime.

4. To help with execution, my tip is to calm down. People get behind in a match and they just start going crazy. Once you lose your cool, you've lost your match. This applies to anything in life.

5. Go to shoryuken.com. I love the boards over there even though I just lurk. There's helpful tips for every Capcom game known to man over there. Also, most of the people are pretty helpful if you know how to ask.

Hope this helps a little. Feel free to shoot me a friend request on XBL if you want to play really laggy matches. The real fighting game heads on this thread are MarkMan, JimboSlice(winner of the Third Strike Tournament last year), asianxcore, KainZero, Chacrana, and a bunch of other guys that post here. Sorry if you weren't named but I was just listing from the top of my head.[/quote]

1. I agree it's important to find someone to play with. When I played Melee, I had access to a neighbor who was pretty much on the same level as I, and improvement was evident.

2. I'm probably biting off more than I can chew trying to play Guilty Gear, let alone Melty Blood. However, Akatsuki Blitzkampf is much simpler than those two and is starting to grow on me. But I'll go back to the roots and train on SFII.

3. I agree with your point yet again. Once more, this held true for me in Melee. I mastered one char, and seconded another. But as I tried to learn other characters, I could barely keep up with the guys I usually would easily win against.

4. That is something I really need to work on. It just seems like all the practice I do goes out the window whenever I play against a real person (in my case, my baby brother). My playing just turns into button mashing.

5. I really want to get good at ABK, but there seems to be barely any community on it. The community for Smash was a big part in my growth back then. However, there seems to be a nice decent community for Melty Blood (Melty Bread).

[quote name='kainzero']Here's what I do when I find a game I want to play.

1 - Familiarize myself with the game.
I play. Play against the CPU probably, get used to moving my character, the speed of the game, mess around and discover moves.

2 - Online research
I watch videos and read forum posts to get a feel of my character's basic tactics and combos.

3 - Practice mode, practice CPU
I practice the tactics and combos in practice mode, then I play against the CPU to be able to hit the tactics and combos in a match consistently and without really thinking.

4 - Game time
Play against real people, preferably slightly better than me. If they're way better than me, it gets depressing losing 30 in a row and I forget what it feels like to win. If I can steal a game every once in a while it's good.

5 - Extracurricular studies
Take the time to learn other character's and how to punish them and learn not to fall for their traps. For example I lost a scrubtastic match online in SC4 with Mitsu who just did 1A, 1AB, 66BB, and throw. I didn't wanna get caught against it offline so I learned how to block and punish 1A (with Cass 236B), GI 1AB, and punish 66BB (236:B into either 2B+G or 236:B, 236B). If any new combos or setups come out on the internet, practice them.

6 - Play more, watch less
You're gonna hit a point where watching videos doesn't really make you any better, or at least, there's diminishing returns compared to just playing and experiencing more. Things like execution and spacing and all that other crap is all instinct and built in, you never think about it, it just happens.

7. ????

8. Profit![/quote]

Time to spend more quality time with 2D fighters. I guess I better scour the internet for documentation and videos of matches. I also agree there was a point in my Melee days where videos were not as helpful as actual playing experience.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']If you have 3s and a Mic for Xbox, Option.iv, I'd be glad to help you learn the game. Any of the basics you learn in 3s can pretty much be carried over to other 2D fighters.

and Troy, you'll have to post when you get back from University Pinball and let me (and everyone in the thread) know how Street Fighter IV plays.[/quote]

Sorry, I have neither. However, I did check into that GGPO application someone suggested earlier, and I believe 3s is currently supported (though unsure for how long).

At the moment, my only real source of fighting games is my small Asus 901 Eee PC. Surprisingly it can play 2D Doujin fighters and shooters smoothly, even connected to the big screen TV. Though I do have a PS2 Hori Tekken stick with a USB adapter to compensate for lack of a console.

Also, I'm really into the doujin fighter scene, as lackluster the competitive community is. I'm unfortunately stuck with the 90s mentality and haven't innvested in anything next-gen.

Thanks again guys for all the help. Now it's time for me to take it to heart and actually exert some effort here and there.

2 new chars according to some1!

---

TEKKEN 6 BLOODLINE REBELLION Revealed!

August 28, 2008
Tekken 6 Bloodline Rebellion has been announced! It will be officially shown at the upcoming Amusement Show on September 20th in Tokyo, Japan! It will be an upgraded version of the existing Tekken 6 game and is slated for an arcade release in December! More news as it comes. Thanks for the heads up Reno!
More info as it comes!

Okay, now Tekken titles have officially gone insane.

I guess I won't be buying regular Tekken 6 unless it's this version though.

kof XII

check out the profile pics under the lifebar. looks like Benimaru, Robert Garcia, Shen Woo, Ryo Sakazaki and Ralf Jones are in.

looks ridiculously good

12.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

taken from cyberfanatix

KOF XII looks weird... like how the characters seem to really blend seamlessly into the backgrounds. It's the best kind of weird.

It's been a while since I've seen news for KOF XII. Kinda forgot about it. This shit better come out soon or SFIV is gonna steal it's thunder.

EDIT: It probably already has.

You guys have any tips for Project Justice? I just got it yesterday and I'm very impressed. I haven't really picked any one character yet so any info you could give me about tiers, strategy, etc. would be appreciated.

Project Justice tier list

S rank:Momo,Kurow,Nagare,Roy,Hideo
A rank: Kyosuke, Hayato, Roberto, Powered Akira, Yurika, Daigo, Wild Daigo, Hyo / Demon Hyo
B rank: Hinata, Shoma, Natsu, Akira, Zaki, Kyoko, Burning Batsu
C rank: Batsu, Ran, Tiffany, Boman, Edge, Vatsu
D rank: Iincyo/Chairperson, Gan

Hideo is definitely #1 in the game though. He has an infinite combo, can turtle behind air fireballs (ala Akuma) and even combo on hit. He can also play runaway style.

This tier list probably won't help you much though if you're playing vs the CPU... this is based off high level competitive play/potential ;(

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Dear asianxcore

Alex told me about SF4 at SF State, but also mentioned it was 75 cents a game. :([/QUOTE]

The same at SJSU. I'm fine with it though.

They had the love for the scene to pay $12,000 (I heard) for the boards as have the two LCD's in H2H cabs. .75 cents or not they gotta make their money back :)

75 cents doesn't sound that bad... especially not when it's for what is clearly an outstanding game. Obviously, there's the economic arguments for the 75 cent price, which aren't lost on me since I'm an econ major, but fuck it - that shit's boring. 75 cent = u punch suckas in tha face.

Oh, but back on the topic of KOF XII real quick:

I've always thought the 4-button SNK approach was a lot better than Capcom's 6 button control scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back