U.S. - PSP outsold the DS by 1.2 mil in 2005

[quote name='Shayde']None of those you named were ports...[/QUOTE]

Sorry but to me sequels and ports have started to blend together. Bring a game over with the same story, give a guy more weapons, add a few costumes, etc. etc. you say it's a port. Make a few control improvemtents, give the guy more weapons, change the story(or even just keep going after the end) and it's a sequel. Still doesn't change the fact that you're playing the same game. Is Mario Kart DS all that different from Mario Kart 64 or Maro Kart Double Dash? Is this new Castlevania all that different from the 3 GBA Castlevanias or Sympohony of the Night?

[quote name='depascal22']Sorry but to me sequels and ports have started to blend together. Bring a game over with the same story, give a guy more weapons, add a few costumes, etc. etc. you say it's a port. Make a few control improvemtents, give the guy more weapons, change the story(or even just keep going after the end) and it's a sequel. Still doesn't change the fact that you're playing the same game. Is Mario Kart DS all that different from Mario Kart 64 or Maro Kart Double Dash? Is this new Castlevania all that different from the 3 GBA Castlevanias or Sympohony of the Night?[/QUOTE]

The touch screen adds new gameplay dynamic to each of those games. MKDS is also online, something that no Mario kart has ever been. Castlevania is also 100000x better than every game on the PSP combined, so....

[quote name='Ecofreak']These numbers are so suspect. For one thing, Sony is renowned for posting numbers of units shipped to retailers, not sold to consumers.

Nintendo, however, posts numbers that represent how many were actually bought by consumers.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to not misrepresent themselves if Sony is doing so as well. If Nintendo had "actual" represented numbers that showed them being outsold by Sony's "fantasy" numbers, then that would be bad move for Nintendo. It's harder to reverse public perception after it has been established. Even if Sony's numbers were misrepresented, then Nintendo would have to spend time and resources to call out Sony to clarify how they got the numbers they did. Either both numbers are misrepresented, or neither of them are. Odds are that the numbers are for the most part both accurate, but most likely fidgeted a bit :)

I was going to post how I own a DS and not a PSP, but then it would be bringing my opinion into the matter. I'm just trying to look at these numbers objectively :p

[quote name='evanft']The touch screen adds new gameplay dynamic to each of those games. MKDS is also online, something that no Mario kart has ever been. Castlevania is also 100000x better than every game on the PSP combined, so....[/QUOTE]

Castlevania made me break down and buy the DS :)

I still want a PSP though. I'm tired of having to snag my friend's at work.

[quote name='depascal22']Sorry but to me sequels and ports have started to blend together. Bring a game over with the same story, give a guy more weapons, add a few costumes, etc. etc. you say it's a port. Make a few control improvemtents, give the guy more weapons, change the story(or even just keep going after the end) and it's a sequel. Still doesn't change the fact that you're playing the same game. Is Mario Kart DS all that different from Mario Kart 64 or Maro Kart Double Dash? Is this new Castlevania all that different from the 3 GBA Castlevanias or Sympohony of the Night?[/QUOTE]

Mario Kart has online and a mission mode among other things.

Castlevania's battle system has changed a little bit, but yeah it's a sequel with just a few extra features to take advantage of the DS's design. It's still not a port by any means and is among the best, if not the best, in the series.

Ports for the DS are games like Need for Speed or Madden.

[quote name='Parathod']Mario Kart has online and a mission mode among other things.

Castlevania's battle system has changed a little bit, but yeah it's a sequel with just a few extra features to take advantage of the DS's design. It's still not a port by any means and is among the best, if not the best, in the series.

Ports for the DS are games like Need for Speed or Madden.[/QUOTE]

But how are those different? I bet Madden or Need for Speed has some different things that the consoles don't have or vice versa. I wouldn't know since I haven't spent more than $5 on each series for at least ten years. So, that means if Madden was online, everyone would've been drooling all over it? Mario Kart's onine capabilties have nothing to do with originality. The DS is capable and Nintendo had the genious to put out a quality game that gives people what they want. Just don't pretend it's ground breaking or original because the game is so fun to play. With the PSP, Madden and SOCOM have online and cross compatibility. GTA is online. Are these still ports? They have system specific content and they give you an experience you just can't get on a console. That being said, they are all still ports/sequels. It's the same game just on a different console.

lol at all the ds fans in denial.

psp simply appealed to a bigger audiencve, thats all. i mean, how many non-hardcore adult gamers cared about nintendog? on the other hand, which casual gamer doesnt care about madden, burnout, ff7:ac, and freaking gta?

[quote name='depascal22']But how are those different? I bet Madden or Need for Speed has some different things that the consoles don't have or vice versa. I wouldn't know since I haven't spent more than $5 on each series for at least ten years. So, that means if Madden was online, everyone would've been drooling all over it? Mario Kart's onine capabilties have nothing to do with originality. The DS is capable and Nintendo had the genious to put out a quality game that gives people what they want. Just don't pretend it's ground breaking or original because the game is so fun to play. With the PSP, Madden and SOCOM have online and cross compatibility. GTA is online. Are these still ports? They have console specific content and they give you an experience you just can't get on a console. That being said, they are all still ports/sequels. It's the same game just on a different console.[/QUOTE]

So your basically saying that there is no difference in comparing for instance Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart DS to NFL Street 2 on PS2 to NFL Street 2 on PS2?

Also, you grouped Kirby Canvas Curse with the so called ports...and well thats just insane...

[quote name='Shayde']So your basically saying that there is no difference in comparing for instance Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart DS to NFL Street 2 on PS2 to NFL Street 2 on PS2?

Also, you grouped Kirby Canvas Curse with the so called ports...and well thats just insane...[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying they're not quality games, just that the DS seems to be getting away with releasing sequels of popular games but the PSP is getting roasted for being a port heavy platform. Look at the RPG's for the PSP. The PSP doesn't have a Final Fantasy so it's suffered. The DS/GBA got ports FF I, II, and IV and they are given much deserved acclaim. The PSP releases ports of pretty much every big franchise they have. We don't get mad that we're playing the third or fourth iteration on a console but they somehow squeeze that magic down to a portable size and we thumb our nose at it because it's just a direct port?

[quote name='depascal22']But how are those different? I bet Madden or Need for Speed has some different things that the consoles don't have or vice versa. I wouldn't know since I haven't spent more than $5 on each series for at least ten years. So, that means if Madden was online, everyone would've been drooling all over it? Mario Kart's onine capabilties have nothing to do with originality. The DS is capable and Nintendo had the genious to put out a quality game that gives people what they want. Just don't pretend it's ground breaking or original because the game is so fun to play. With the PSP, Madden and SOCOM have online and cross compatibility. GTA is online. Are these still ports? They have system specific content and they give you an experience you just can't get on a console. That being said, they are all still ports/sequels. It's the same game just on a different console.[/QUOTE]

I doesn't sound like you've ever played any of the mentioned good DS games. Madden and basically anything from EA is straight up ports. Kirby, Nintendogs, Mario Kart, and many others all bring about new forms of gameplay via the touch screen. A port is something that's brought from another consoles (Halo was ported to the PC, Super Monkey Ball was ported to the XB/PS2, etc.). A sequel is same gameplay but new settings (Devil May Cry 1, 2, & 3 for example). Mario 64 DS is a port. All of the other good games on the DS are not.

[quote name='omegaweapon7']lol at all the ds fans in denial.

psp simply appealed to a bigger audiencve, thats all. i mean, how many non-hardcore adult gamers cared about nintendog? on the other hand, which casual gamer doesnt care about madden, burnout, ff7:ac, and freaking gta?[/QUOTE]

We're not in denial... we're just amazed at how many people like hype over quality. I mean, I know I would've rather had a DS than a $250 door stop. Oh, and Mario Kart DS outsold GTALCS and Burnout, BTW.:)

This isn't that hard to believe... the PSP has been outselling the DS in the states since launch I believe.

[quote name='depascal22']I'm not saying they're not quality games, just that the DS seems to be getting away with releasing sequels of popular games but the PSP is getting roasted for being a port heavy platform. Look at the RPG's for the PSP. The PSP doesn't have a Final Fantasy so it's suffered. The DS/GBA got ports FF I, II, and IV and they are given much deserved acclaim. The PSP releases ports of pretty much every big franchise they have. We don't get mad that we're playing the third or fourth iteration on a console but they somehow squeeze that magic down to a portable size and we thumb our nose at it because it's just a direct port?
[/QUOTE]

I don't know where to start...

1. Sequel and ports are different. A port would be moving a game, or parts of a game, from one system to another while a sequel is a whole new game of an already established franchise (same/similar gameplay, new setting).
2. GBA and DS games are not the same. The only DS port is Super Mario 64 DS (and even that got new stuff).
3. The PSP is said to get ports because the PSP gets many PS2 games toned down for it (Madden, Burnout, etc.). They're multiplatform really but since the PSP is a handheld getting console games, they're considered ports.
4. The DS/GBA rarely gets worthy ports.. Madden, NFSU, etc. all suck.
5. Those 'ports' are looked down upon because those ports are $50.
6. The PSP, to date, has very few notable sequels (GTA, Hot Shots, um...) while the DS has a plethora of highly acclaimed sequels (Kirby, WarioWare, AW, Mario Kart, AC, Castlevania) and new franchises.

You're not making a good argument, you're just trying to convince people that the PSP's multiplatform games are the same as sequels.;)

[quote name='depascal22']I'm not saying they're not quality games, just that the DS seems to be getting away with releasing sequels of popular games but the PSP is getting roasted for being a port heavy platform. Look at the RPG's for the PSP. The PSP doesn't have a Final Fantasy so it's suffered. The DS/GBA got ports FF I, II, and IV and they are given much deserved acclaim. The PSP releases ports of pretty much every big franchise they have. We don't get mad that we're playing the third or fourth iteration on a console but they somehow squeeze that magic down to a portable size and we thumb our nose at it because it's just a direct port?[/QUOTE]

I don't understand where you are getting this from...also I don't recall people being all "OMFG FF 1 & 1 BEST GAME EVAR~!", I just hear people "sweet I can play FF on the bus now" or something like that.

Ports and sequals are completly different things. Sequals usually introduce new gameplay techniques, story, updated graphics. Ports are generally the same exact thing. I personally think nothing is wrong with "porting" a console game to a handheld.

I guess what some people could complain about is that there are alot of them on the PSP and not enough new games that we haven't played on the PS2 yet.

wow..these figure surprise me.. but general public really like their toy shiny i guess.. i have both DS and PSP... and think both system are great (for different purpose at least)... i wouldn't pay $250 for a PSP though (i got mine via trade).. but if it's eventually drop down to $150 or so.. i may pick up the second one.....

For the PSP you've got Legend of Heroes, PoPoLoCrois, Kingdom of Paradise, Wipeout, Darkstalkers. None of these are original but they are sequels and not ports. Now I know the difference between a GBA game and a DS game but saying they're completely different is like saying a PS1 and a PS2 game are completely different. Can't I play both games on a PS2? You don't think they thought of DS owners when they decided to release FFIV? And you just repeated everything I've already said about ports and sequels, you don't have to preach the choir. I'm just saying that the line as blended so much that it's pretty much invisible. Mario Kart DS is sequel in your eyes because it has added content but SOCOM has to be a port? Why? It has just as much added content. I could care less what you call each one but don't rip one system because of some arbritray reason.

okay, let's just boil it down folks--

CUT AND PASTE THE APPROPRIATE STATEMENT FOR YOUR POST.
-------

1. TEH DS IS TEH SUXXORZ.

2. TEH PSP IS TEH SUXXORZ.

If someone uses the one you disagree with, quote them and reply with the one you agree with.

[quote name='depascal22']For the PSP you've got Legend of Heroes, PoPoLoCrois, Kingdom of Paradise, Wipeout, Darkstalkers. None of these are original but they are sequels and not ports. Now I know the difference between a GBA game and a DS game but saying they're completely different is like saying a PS1 and a PS2 game are completely different. Can't I play both games on a PS2? You don't think they thought of DS owners when they decided to release FFIV? And you just repeated everything I've already said about ports and sequels, you don't have to preach the choir. I'm just saying that the line as blended so much that it's pretty much invisible. Mario Kart DS is sequel in your eyes because it has added content but SOCOM has to be a port? Why? It has just as much added content. I could care less what you call each one but don't rip one system because of some arbritray reason.[/QUOTE]

When the fuck did some one call Socom a port?

Also, I'd like know as to why you think Kirby Canvas Curse is a "port"...not once during playing the game did I think "Shit I wish this game was alot less like The Amazing Mirror"...

Woah, calm down buddy.

I didn't know i could only use this thread for ammunition. Besides, I'm calling SOCOM a port. I put Kirby in the list in my first post because it's another nintendo character that they trot out every time a new platform launches. The game is a sequel/port/iteration/whatever of Kirby. They put a fresh coat of polish on it, took advantage of the platforms uniqueness and released a quality piece of software. But isn't it still Kirby? Kirby for the Revolution will also be unique and quirky but it will STILL be Kirby.

[quote name='depascal22']Woah, calm down buddy.

I didn't know i could only use this thread for ammunition. Besides, I'm calling SOCOM a port. I put Kirby in the list in my first post because it's another nintendo character that they trot out every time a new platform launches. The game is a sequel/port/iteration/whatever of Kirby. They put a fresh coat of polish on it, took advantage of the platforms uniqueness and released a quality piece of software. But isn't it still Kirby? Kirby for the Revolution will also be unique and quirky but it will STILL be Kirby.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Ok... so you're saying that every non-new franchise is a port?

[quote name='depascal22']The game is a sequel/port/iteration/whatever of Kirby. [/QUOTE]

Now you're starting to change your definitions and clouding it up in the process. All people want is not to be hypocrites.

[quote name='Apossum']okay, let's just boil it down folks--

CUT AND PASTE THE APPROPRIATE STATEMENT FOR YOUR POST.
-------

1. TEH DS IS TEH SUXXORZ.

2. TEH PSP IS TEH SUXXORZ.

If someone uses the one you disagree with, quote them and reply with the one you agree with.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

050404.jpg

I think the figures are pretty shocking considering the PSP is $100 more, not to mention the titles are generally more expensive and what not.

Sony has done a pretty good job getting ground in the US. UMDs actually sell in the US and in Japan It's a different story.

Either way I got rid of my PSP not even a year after owning one, mainly because I found most of the titles not to be of my interest after viewing the DS lineup. I do however hope to snag a PSP three years down the road when it drops to $125 or less and most of the good titles can be had for cheap.

...The last page of "debating" hasn't even been about PMG PSP IS TEH BEST DS SUXZORS, its mostly been about the definition of a port..

UMDs don't do well in Japan? I haven't seen any recent figures from there. the system sells well, but I wonder if the japanese are eating up games or movies. I imagine it's games, considering they have twice as many as we do :roll:

[quote name='Shayde']...The last page of "debating" hasn't even been about PMG PSP IS TEH BEST DS SUXZORS, its mostly been about the definition of a port..[/QUOTE]

so it's a subargument within a broader dumb argument :lol:

my opinion on ports:
a port is a game that was originally made for one system, then had its code translated to another. sometimes it has extras, sometimes it's a straight port. it's different than a multi-system game. for example, Battlefront 2 for the psp is a multi-system game, not a port, like someone else said i think. Alpha 3 will be a port with a bunch of extras. Burnout Legends probably used a lot of code form the ps2 burnout games, but it's not a port.

[quote name='Vinny']:rofl: Ok... so you're saying that every non-new franchise is a port?[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying that they're not exactly new and groundbreaking just because they add one or two features. Kirby is a sequel period, I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying it's still a Kirby game as SOCOM for PSP is still SOCOM. My original question was why do people differentiate between the two. If you're going to a different system with a different control scheme(SOCOM), it's a different game to me. If that makes me a jackass, so be it. Didn't want to interact with someone like you anyway. I was having fun with this debate until it became about nitpicking. I'll let you guys go back and debate statistics that may or may not even be truthful.

What I can't figure out is who are the dumbasses buying the UMD movies? Unless they are a dollar or two, how can anyone cnosider them worth it? Especially when the DVD is generally cheaper or the same price?

see i think things will even out by the end of the next year, and the real data will prove accurate. When a system is released there is an obvious spike in sales. Also with the SP it still cuts down on people buying DSs. When more system selling games come out we shall see who really wins. E3 should be interesting to say the least.

Good point, they should pull even and the DS will probably pull ahead unless the PSP gets a price drop. With the price of the games and quality of software, DS should have no problem being number 1 when the dust settles. It'll be interesting to see if Final Fantasy:Crisis Core for the PSP get released alongside a Final Fantasy game for the DS.

I own like 10 consoles.

Call me when the PSP has more than 1-2 games worth playing.

In my eyes it's the ultimate typical male gamer console. A pile of sports games and racing games, with a very few worthwhile games.

I want to play Lumines, and that's it. Contrast that with the 10 DS games or so I have.

Hell, we have 2 DSs. The wife got tired of fighting with me over it to play Nintendogs, Kirby, and Mario Kart and got one of her own.

I swear, what are you people doing on it, just watching those lame overpriced proprietary cropped UMD movies and playing Madden?

well it works like this.. the PSP sucks, is overpriced, and is aimed at g-unit thugs and trend-whores, with tons of advertising. thus it sells more.

The DS is much more value for the money, has more fun games, is more original, and is aimed at people who love nintendo and original games. It sells less.

That's just how it goes, folks. Crappier products aimed at the mainstream will always sell more than quality products aimed at specific segments of the market. Just look at any Playstation Product.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Even more proof that that PSP fuck in rules :D[/QUOTE]

The proof should be in the games (which it's not).

And, keep in mind, with any figures published, Nintendo tends to publish items sold vs. Sony publishing items shipped. So, until we hear this straight from the tracking group and can know their methods for tracking, I'm still skeptical.

[quote name='Apossum']no doubt the DS "won" this year by a long shot.[/QUOTE]

How on earth did you come to that conclusion? DS sold 1.2 million *less* than PSP.

[quote name='electrictroy']How on earth did you come to that conclusion? DS sold 1.2 million *less* than PSP.[/QUOTE]

Because in Japan it is trouncing the PSP by a factor of 2 to 1. I don't know UK numbers but I know the DS is selling out there also.

[quote name='alongx']The proof should be in the games (which it's not).

And, keep in mind, with any figures published, Nintendo tends to publish items sold vs. Sony publishing items shipped. So, until we hear this straight from the tracking group and can know their methods for tracking, I'm still skeptical.[/QUOTE]

I really like my DS, but go to ebgames.com and take a look at all the games coming out for both systems. Seems to me that the PSP has more to offer in upcoming games.

PSP coming soon games
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/deptpage.asp?wherefrom=comingsoon&web_dept=PSP

DS coming soon games (16 total and the only good looking games are first party and hopefully monkey ball)
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categori...asp?wherefrom=comingsoon&web_dept=Nintendo+DS

I wouldn't mind having both systems at the moment. I'll probably get the DS as soon as it dips below $100. I haven't paid more than that for any of my hand helds. Which mean it might be 10 years until I get the overpriced PSP. The only games I want to play on the PSP at the moment are Lumines, Darkstalkers, and Street Fighter Alpha 3. The DS has far more titles that I would like to have like Advance Wars, Castlevania, Trauma Center.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I really like my DS, but go to ebgames.com and take a look at all the games coming out for both systems. Seems to me that the PSP has more to offer in upcoming games.

PSP coming soon games
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/deptpage.asp?wherefrom=comingsoon&web_dept=PSP

DS coming soon games (16 total and the only good looking games are first party and hopefully monkey ball)
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categori...asp?wherefrom=comingsoon&web_dept=Nintendo+DS[/QUOTE]
Not gonna argue much with that, but there's only one DS game announced past March, the PSP has bookings through June/July. The question which can only be answered in December is which system had better games. It might be similar to the way it went this year where the DS threw out a truckload of games that I still haven't caught up with, and the PSP was pretty static.

I hate portables.

Tiny screens. Lousy sound. Poor controls. And games written by junior-level programmers.

Consoles are better.

[quote name='electrictroy']I hate portables.

Tiny screens. Lousy sound. Poor controls. And games written by junior-level programmers.

Consoles are better.[/QUOTE]

I like portables better right now. I haven't had time lately to spend hours with my ass parked in front of the TV in my living room. Most of my gaming time consists of laying in bed at night and playing my PSP or DS until I fall asleep.

[quote name='electrictroy'] And games written by junior-level programmers.
[/QUOTE]

I was hoping you'd say "written by all the lousy eBayers I deal with."

[quote name='electrictroy']How on earth did you come to that conclusion? DS sold 1.2 million *less* than PSP.[/QUOTE]

because it has a ton of good games and the psp has very few. that's what i meant by "won." the quotes mean i'm not using the sales figures to judge.........

[quote name='jer7583']well it works like this.. the PSP sucks, is overpriced, and is aimed at g-unit thugs and trend-whores, with tons of advertising. thus it sells more.

The DS is much more value for the money, has more fun games, is more original, and is aimed at people who love nintendo and original games. It sells less.

That's just how it goes, folks. Crappier products aimed at the mainstream will always sell more than quality products aimed at specific segments of the market. Just look at any Playstation Product.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm. G-Unit thugs and trend whores or bitter, juvenile social outcasts? :whistle2:k

Muhfucka, why you gotta diss the PSP, bitch. Every thug in the hood has one of these you didn't know? You wanna go and diss the hood be prepared for the inevitable smack down that's gonna grace your silly little dome, ho.

No seriously, dissing an entire platform because of it's image is just retarded. If I bought into that, I would've never accepted a Gamecube as a Christmas present last year. I'm glad that I finally played Wind Waker, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Mario Kart, F-Zero, and Skies of Arcadia. I'm not that big a fan of the Nintendo cast of characters, but the games are fun. It's a better excuse to get out of shopping with my wife also. When I tell her I'm gonna be in the game store, she knows I'll be in that bitch for at least an hour because I'm looking through ALL the sections.....lol.

I think its valid to diss the PSP because of its image.. since thats all it has, is an IMAGE. There's no real substance or value to the thing. I don't know anyone who seriously uses the thing for gaming. its a half assed movie/music/game player that does nothing well.

Hell, when I had one, other than Lumines, my games all got really old after the first week or so. After the fanciness of the graphics wore off, there wasn't much to get excited about. I sort of wish I still had one for lumines, but I'm glad i sold it when it was still worth around $200. More money for 360 and DS stuff.

You just cannot deny that the PSP is the MTV of videogaming.

[quote name='jer7583']I think its valid to diss the PSP because of its image.. since thats all it has, is an IMAGE. There's no real substance or value to the thing. I don't know anyone who seriously uses the thing for gaming. its a half assed movie/music/game player that does nothing well.

Hell, when I had one, other than Lumines, my games all got really old after the first week or so. After the fanciness of the graphics wore off, there wasn't much to get excited about. I sort of wish I still had one for lumines, but I'm glad i sold it when it was still worth around $200. More money for 360 and DS stuff.

You just cannot deny that the PSP is the MTV of videogaming.[/QUOTE]

well, that's just like uh...your opinion man. ;)

honestly, i wouldn't own one if i didn't get a crackhead deal on it ($100) but I think it has some great games. Burnout legends, lumines, Guilty Gear, Darkstalkers (once you fix the dpad) and Ultimate Block Party are all good fun. and with the frequency I get to play games these days, they all keep me entertained. I've even enjoyed watching a few UMDs in bed at night. Emulation and movie file playing are also very handy.

The screen is huge and the sound quality is outstanding with headphones on...and let's face it-- with all that power and the lack of games right now, the thing has nowhere to go but up. starting with SFA3, Katamari, then the NIS game, Devil May Cry, FF:Crisis Core and others...

but I still submit that the DS is a better system for gamers right now.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']But the system and the games cost more to make...so yeah, it made more $ at retail in the whole "130 < 250" scheme of things, but for Sony they probably made LESS on each console that Nintendo did on each DS[/QUOTE]Sony actually doesn't make money on it. That is why they said before it even launched that people should not ever expect a price reduction. When it finally becomes profitable for Sony, they will either keep selling it at cost/a very slight profit, or they will be releasing an update. They see themselves as in a seperate market from Nintendo. It's like the iPod. It's not too often that they get cheaper. They just come out with a newer version of the same thing.

And about the sales: When has Sony ever released sales numbers? They don't. Ever. They deal with units shipped, even when they are doing well in reality. And either number they might ever use also includes returns for defective products (which we all know is astronomically higher than the returns for both M$ and Nintendo combined) as well. So Sony numbers are never close to accurate of what they are "acting" like they are reporting. Also, this is a market research group or some crap like that. There is no way they have all the numbers available.

All that being said: Even if Sony had REAL numbers that were comparable to the numbers of Nintendo, and they did legitimately win, WHO CARES? It has been many yearsnow that gaming has been "cool" and the majority of gamers buy what is "cool," regardless of function/quality/value. It really doesn't matter. As long as Nintendo is the one who is profitable, I sure don't care. Because that means that Nintendo is the one with the greatest likelyhood of staying around.

Some might say this means I am a fanboy. But all it really means is that I enjoy Nintendo's games and I don't care what people think of me. I get tired of people whining that they can never play Nintendogs because people will think they are "teh ghey!" Why should people care what videogame I play, and more importantly why should I care what they think?

I don't. I walk around campus playing Mario Kart on my electric blue DS. I talk to my Nintendog on the go. I even sing into Electroplankton while I'm out. And I do it all with my pink Kirby stylus in hand.

People are too absorbed in self-appearance. And if that makes them buy a PSP solely because Nintendo is "teh kiddie," it's their loss. And I really don't care what multiple-return-shipped numbers Sony gives out, as long as Nintendo is profitable and making fun and pushing innovation, I am more than happy.

bread's done
Back