Ubuntu Questions

sandaz93

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
My Windows computer started acting up on me, and a friend suggested that I install Ubuntu. I have done that and now using it. I have a few questions about it though. First, is it legal? Second, i have found several bittorent apps(?) on the OS, and am now worrying about that. I haven't installed anything expect Adobe and other recommended updates. Are these bittorents illegal? I'm sorry Im a complete computer noob, and just a bit paranoid about all these torrent things. I make sure my wi-fi is completely locked so no one will use my wi-fi to download illegal stuff. After seeing those torrent things, im wondering if i should just start re using windows again. :cry:

Thanks and Best Regards

1) It's absolutely legal, I don't even understand how you would come to that idea.
2) Torrenting is not, in fact, illegal. All torrenting is is peer to peer file sharing, moving all files away from a central server so that everyone shares some of the bandwidth in transfering files. Unfortunately, it's mostly used for illegal stuff. There are, however, plenty of legal torrents. Many independent (and even published) game developers use torrents to save on hosting costs.

Hydro is correct. Ubuntu (or any Linux distro for that matter) is ridiculously legal. Having BitTorrent programs is also legal. Nothing at all to worry about. I use it everyday. Windows 7/Ubuntu dual boot, with probably 99.99% Ubuntu usage between the two.

so, if i understand correctly, ubuntu is 100% legal/safe, and I won't have some copyright infringment nonsense issues? The bittorents that come installed on ubuntu are being used for legal uses and I don't have to worry about them?

Anything else I should be aware of though?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Also, I installed Ubuntu on my external hard drive, but I can't access my external hard drive at all through ubuntu. It's not showing up anywhere. Even the music/ pics on my main computer drive isn't showing up anywhere.

[quote name='sandaz93']so, if i understand correctly, ubuntu is 100% legal/safe, and I won't have some copyright infringment nonsense issues? The bittorents that come installed on ubuntu are being used for legal uses and I don't have to worry about them?

Anything else I should be aware of though?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

It's legal and free. Just how I like my software.

There are over 800k+ games available for Linux using modern day graphics (2006 and Up) you can find a lot of older games (prior to 2006) but may need to do some tinkering to get them to work properly. Out of the 800K+ games 650K are free and legal.

[quote name='sandaz93']Also, I installed Ubuntu on my external hard drive, but I can't access my external hard drive at all through ubuntu. It's not showing up anywhere. Even the music/ pics on my main computer drive isn't showing up anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Huh? The same drive?

[quote name='elessar123']Huh? The same drive?[/QUOTE]

Yes?

Hit a huge wall though. Is there any legal way to play MP3s on ubuntu? It's giving a warning before I install several codecs to play an MP3 on banshee.

[quote name='sandaz93']Yes?

Hit a huge wall though. Is there any legal way to play MP3s on ubuntu? It's giving a warning before I install several codecs to play an MP3 on banshee.[/QUOTE]

Umm...MP3s are legal to be played anywhere on any format on any device...

[quote name='sandaz93']Yes?

Hit a huge wall though. Is there any legal way to play MP3s on ubuntu? It's giving a warning before I install several codecs to play an MP3 on banshee.[/QUOTE]

You should really read up on GNU...

It's says that one must ensure said codecs are legal in your country of use (US) before installing? Someone else was saying that while Ubuntu can't be packaged with an MP3 codec/player, a person can legally download it for free.

This is what I'm referring to.
"ubuntu-restricted-extras is a software package for the computer operating system Ubuntu that allows the user to install essential software which is not already included due to legal or copyright reasons."

So is it legal for a person to download these restricted extras, but illegal for ubuntu to include them in the downloaded software.

I don't purchase software. I dual boot Unbuntu and Windows at this time and all I use are free and legal software. Why don't you use the free MP3 players?

I'm really not understanding your dilemma.

From what I read, using free MP3 codecs (ubuntu restricted extras) is in the legal gray zone. However, using Fluendo your are completely in the clear. However, the Fluendo sold on Ubuntu.com is not as extensive as the one sold on the Fluendo website. I do not know if they sell a legal one as well.

I'm really sorry for seeming like a paranoid nutcase, but the stories I've heard about copyright infringment really scare me. (being in financial ruin for the rest of your life)

Thank you so much for your help though.

[quote name='sandaz93']From what I read, using free MP3 codecs (ubuntu restricted extras) is in the legal gray zone. However, using Fluendo your are completely in the clear. However, the Fluendo sold on Ubuntu.com is not as extensive as the one sold on the Fluendo website. I do not know if they sell a legal one as well.

I'm really sorry for seeming like a paranoid nutcase, but the stories I've heard about copyright infringment really scare me. (being in financial ruin for the rest of your life)

Thank you so much for your help though.[/QUOTE]First off you wont need to worry about that. If I remember correctly if you download a player like Amarok, it comes with them, or at least I think so. If not they are easy to find and you wont have to worry about the legalities. Ubuntu is free and 100% legal and as long as you don't go pirating software/music/movies/games that are sold as retail items, then you will be fine. I been an off and on Linux user for years now (never been hardcore about it because I have not had a spare machine, but I have used ubuntu). Plus the Open Source community is about FREE and LEGAL, because it's made by the community.

beware, that you can have the worst operating system for gamers in the world....(Ubuntu)
f.gif

bread's done
Back