Ugh, I Need Your Help, Got Scammed...

tha son

CAG Veteran
well at least i think i did, for some reason, i ordered off easygamestore.com for a ps3, I payed through paypal. they said it was "preparing for dispatch" for a week after release. then i feared the worst so i said i wanted a refund for not sending it....they didn't email me back after three emails, now the site isn't online anymore

What should I do? contacy paypal and ask for my refund? Try to get paypal to contact " the easy gamestore"....Anyone know??

How did you pay through Paypal, bank account or credit card? If credit card, call the credit card company and do a chargeback

Well if you paid with creditcard try a creditcard chargeback through your CC company.

Otherwise file a chargeback request with paypal and hope they still have some funds left in thier account.

Bring the situation to PayPal's attention and ask for a refund since you never received the PS3. If your PayPal account is connected to a credit card or bank account, you may be able to dispute the charge with them as well.

Edit: I'd contact both, no harm in covering all the bases.

[quote name='tha son']yeah i payed through paypal, think its better to contact them or my credit card company?[/QUOTE]

Credit Card company, if the site was a scammed then they likely emptied their Paypal account already so even if you win the Paypal dispute, you won't get your money back from Paypal.

[quote name='tha son']yeah i payed through paypal, think its better to contact them or my credit card company?[/quote]

both

If the site was a scam, the money in their Paypal balance has probably long been transfered somewhere else.

Even if you successfully file a claim with Paypal, you'll most likely get a "unretrievable funds" message telling you they can't get your money back.

Contact your credit card company ASAP (if that's what you funded the transaction with) and focus on getting them the pertinent information. File a dispute with Paypal too if you have time on your hands.

Print out everything you can now. Receipt, domain whois info, and the website (even if it's broken/unavailable.)

ok, so chargeback with credit card. Print out all info I have, which i have saved most of. Do you think they'll payback in full, and how long do you guys think it will take? (just so you know this was all a birthday present from my dad, so it's like his money which i feel terrible about but we're dealing with this together).

thanks for all your help in advance, I really wanted a ps3 to the point I believed this site. ugh..

They should get all your money back and it would take a week or two usually (you usually will see the credited amount on the next statement)

the same thing happened to me back when the ps2 came out, I tried ordering it from some obscure website, it shutdown and I couldn't get a refund. I used paypal, they said they couldn't get my money back, then a few months later I was refunded out of nowhere. Hopefully they got your back and reverse the charge, and these scammers get struck down by lightning.

I feel for ya man. I hope it all works out for you!

And to everyone else, NEVER order a big price item from some unknown site... if you're going to buy stuff online, stick to known sites likes bestbuy.com, amazon, circuitcity.com, buy.com, overstock.com, compusa.com, newegg.com ,etc....

[quote name='tha son']ok, so chargeback with credit card. Print out all info I have, which i have saved most of. Do you think they'll payback in full, and how long do you guys think it will take? (just so you know this was all a birthday present from my dad, so it's like his money which i feel terrible about but we're dealing with this together).

thanks for all your help in advance, I really wanted a ps3 to the point I believed this site. ugh..[/QUOTE]

Your credit card will place a hold on the transaction immediately - you will see a credit for it on your statement.

However, it will still take between 30-90 days for them to investigate and resolve the dispute. They'll mail you some paperwork and you may have to fax/mail your printouts.

Don't sweat it too much, and let your CC straighten it out.

Yeah , just file a complaint and btw the site works for me and says 2nd allocation for ps3 is on Dec.4 so I really don't know how that site works being I never ordered from them.

Here is the domain reg info for that site:

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: EASYGAMESTORE.COM
Created on: 27-Jan-06
Expires on: 27-Jan-07
Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration [email protected]
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.DFSV18.COM
NS2.DFSV18.COM

Registry Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
Registry Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registry Status: clientRenewProhibited

See Underlying Registry Data
Report Invalid Whois

[quote name='XI MAXIMUS IX']Here is the domain reg info for that site:

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: EASYGAMESTORE.COM
Created on: 27-Jan-06
Expires on: 27-Jan-07
Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599

NS1.DFSV18.COM
NS2.DFSV18.COM

Registry Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
Registry Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registry Status: clientRenewProhibited

See Underlying Registry Data
Report Invalid Whois[/quote]

Notice how the contact info on the webpage is in the UK, but the company is out of AZ. Also, no phone number is a dead give away.
These are the free beer mug and free stress ball people! It's probably a scam. See this thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117920

PayPal won't be able to help you. This looks like a scam, and if it was, the money will not be in their account anymore. I Googled "easygamestore" and it looks like the scammer has been setting this up since May. Some CAGs even found his con.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89731

Posts 49 through 52.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=668658&page=8&pp=30

Post 236 through 238. The asshole even used the same user name for that forum.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24312208

The guy has even been preying on the GameSpot forums. Those forums are mostly naive (stupid) teens aren't they? Lots of pissed off parents reporting to the police I bet. Go straight to the credit card company asap.

Hey that is right near where I live. I will go check that out for you today and see what I can find out. It may be nothing but its worth a look.

EDIT: just a quick question, since I dont know much about registering domains. Is it possible that this domainsbyproxy are actually easygame? Or do you think someone just used the company to register the bogus site? It will help in my line of questioning to them.

EDIT #2 Ya I wasn't quite sure how registrations worked. I had to drive right past it on my way to the post office anyway and it was a UPS store. So I wasn't much help I'm afraid sorry.

I hope your CC co. is able to reverse the charges and you can score a ps3 before xmas. It sounds like you really want to play it and it would suck that one of the few people who actually want it for its designed purpose were not able to get one.

Domains by proxy is a private domain registration service. (One of the largest I believe.) That contact info is for the proxy service, not easygames. Going to that address won't do any good.

If you check cheapassgamer.com Cheapy used the same service:

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States

Registered through: TotalChoice Hosting
Domain Name: CHEAPASSGAMER.COM
Created on: 27-Apr-03
Expires on: 27-Apr-08
Last Updated on: 29-Jun-06

Administrative Contact:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599

HOST.CHEAPASSGAMER.COM
HOST2.CHEAPASSGAMER.COM

They have this blurb on their site:
Legal Complaints: The majority of Domains by Proxy® customers act within the letter of the law. However, on occasion our service is used in conjunction with illegal or immoral behavior. If you believe a domain registration we hold violates the law or someone’s legal rights or is engaged in morally objectionable activities, we want to fully investigate the matter and act where we can. If you identify a situation you believe warrants our attention, please contact us via certified or courier mail:
DOMAINS BY PROXY®
Attn: Legal Complaints
15111 N. Hayden Road, Suite 160
PMB 353
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Once the investigation has been opened, you can correspond with us via email at
[email protected]

Note that you must contact them by certified mail initially. (I'd just let the OP go to the police if it comes to it.)

Tip for the future:

Don't be so quick to give your money to a site you've never heard of that claims they're stocking one of the hottest holiday items when major chains have been sold out for a while.

yeah noodle pirate its true, I really just want to play my own ps3, I'm motivated to get one though, I believe i will somehow!
you guys have been alot of help, I'm hoping for the best.Yeah, today i went on to see the site was back up and running, but still alot of factors show its a scam, no reply to multiple emails, no phone no., in the UK. So We'll see happens. I'll update when I have one.

bread's done
Back