Uh oh...expensive package missing...what do I do?

vietgurl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Uhh, I just bought my dad a $650 laptop from Dell last month. He just called me today and asked me what happened to it because he hasn't received it yet. I tracked it and it shows that it was delivered on the 29th and signed by someone named "Pam". He just checked with his apartment's office and there's no one with that name there nor is there a package for him there. Uhh...can anyone sign for a package? I mean, it was sent directly to my dad's apartment...how could something like this happen?

Should I call UPS or Dell? What could have possibly happened? Some random person can't just walk up and be like "that's my package" and sign for it can they?

I'm on hold right now (wish they'd play better music...)...just kinda panicking.

[quote name='twanky']Did you get insurance on the packaging?[/QUOTE]
I think you automatically get insurance with UPS, but it might only be up to $200 worth.

Repeat post 6 times.

[quote name='hero101']Why is everyone double posting and triple posting today?:cry:[/quote]

Because there is something wrong with the site. Haven't you noticed the multitude of people who are now posting "I'm having errors" threads?

contact dell. that kinda happened to me before. DHL said my package was delivered but i didnt get it. i contacted dell through the website and i received a replacement within about 2 or 3 days without a problem. nobody signed for the package tho and it was a 200 dollar psp in my case. good luck man

i work for ups and i think we only cover about 100-150 bucks for free

contact dell. that kinda happened to me before. DHL said my package was delivered but i didnt get it. i contacted dell through the website and i received a replacement within about 2 or 3 days without a problem. nobody signed for the package tho and it was a 200 dollar psp in my case. good luck man

i work for ups and i think we only cover about 100-150 bucks for free

I just called Dell and they told me that they have to call UPS and blah blah blah. I just got kinda scared because that was an expensive laptop. Thanks guys....and wow the site's really screwed up today.

I just called Dell and they told me that they have to call UPS and blah blah blah. I just got kinda scared because that was an expensive laptop. Thanks guys....and wow the site's really screwed up today.

[quote name='vietgurl']Uhh...can anyone sign for a package? I mean, it was sent directly to my dad's apartment...how could something like this happen?

Should I call UPS or Dell? What could have possibly happened? Some random person can't just walk up and be like "that's my package" and sign for it can they?[/quote]

Yup. It's scamming 101. See the UPS guy on his way into the building. Tell him the package is yours. Sign for it. Yay free stuff!

I had a similar problem called UPS and they said screw you you have to get dell to report it missing. So save yourself the trouble call dell and after a lot of boring and tedious explaining they'll ship you another one. I however found mine as the UPS driver delivered it to another family member of mine at their workplace to save him a trip out to the delivery address. So I went thru a lot of pain on the phone just to have to call back and suffer more to tell them it was located. In short UPS is just going to tell you to call Dell so call Dell.

Hopefully Dell or UPS sorts out the problem for you and then you can track down this so called "Pam". On another note, I've got to say I definitely dig the sig, Moxio. Can never give Andre enough props for what he's done for tennis.

[quote name='Tyga24']On another note, I've got to say I definitely dig the sig, Moxio. Can never give Andre enough props for what he's done for tennis.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, and I agree.

UPS sucks noodles, I'd call Dell first as they'd probably help you more, but failing that def. call UPS afterwards to pursue the stolen package.

Also advice for many people shipping to or renting in places like apartments and condos that are easily accessed by the public (or really just for anyone)... When shipping or recieving a really expensive package with someone like Fedex or UPS, opt for or call them and tell them you want the package held for pickup. It then gets dropped off at the nearest full service customer location (like a UPS store). Now here's the kicker and the big reason to do this: when the recipient of the package goes to the store to pick it up they have to show a gov't issued ID to get the package. Yes it's a bigger hassle but it's much safer and secure this way and some thief like our mysterious "Pam" here doesn't end up with the stuff you paid good money for.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Also advice for many people shipping to or renting in places like apartments and condos that are easily accessed by the public (or really just for anyone)... When shipping or recieving a really expensive package with someone like Fedex or UPS, opt for or call them and tell them you want the package held for pickup. It then gets dropped off at the nearest full service customer location (like a UPS store). Now here's the kicker and the big reason to do this: when the recipient of the package goes to the store to pick it up they have to show a gov't issued ID to get the package. Yes it's a bigger hassle but it's much safer and secure this way and some thief like our mysterious "Pam" here doesn't end up with the stuff you paid good money for.[/QUOTE]

This is a really good advice. I often call into UPS with the tracking number and tell the customer service to have the package held without an attempt to delivery at the pickup station when I'm expecting packages over $200 value. It is extremely easy for me to sign for other people's packages in my apartment complex, and vise versa. And very often postman and delivery people would just leave packages on top of an empty counter or mail boxes or the door step, and thus anybody who walks by can grab them.

just don't forget about it if you do the hold method.

stores are only supposed to hold the package for 3 days, then return to sender.

although the one i work at usually waits more like 2 weeks, shhh don't tell.

UPS let someone else sign in an apartment building? From DELL???!!! I sold for a home based business for five years while living in an apartment, and my UPS guy, who I knew by name, would never leave it if I weren't there. Call Dell and tell them about the signing, investigating, etc. If they ship out again, which they probably will, tell them to put on it that the package must be signed for only by your dad.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']This is a really good advice. I often call into UPS with the tracking number and tell the customer service to have the package held without an attempt to delivery at the pickup station when I'm expecting packages over $200 value. It is extremely easy for me to sign for other people's packages in my apartment complex, and vise versa. And very often postman and delivery people would just leave packages on top of an empty counter or mail boxes or the door step, and thus anybody who walks by can grab them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah in my experience it's def. been a bit more of a hassle, but to me a 10 minute or so drive out of the way is worth it if you know you have a $500 package on the way. Like TBroo mentioned just try not to forget about it (though typically if you drop enough cash on something you're not likely to forget it) because they will send it back after a certain period, but even then you know it isn't just "missing" and off the grid.

[quote name='browneyedgal68']UPS let someone else sign in an apartment building? From DELL???!!! I sold for a home based business for five years while living in an apartment, and my UPS guy, who I knew by name, would never leave it if I weren't there. Call Dell and tell them about the signing, investigating, etc. If they ship out again, which they probably will, tell them to put on it that the package must be signed for only by your dad.[/QUOTE]

I've found that's all well and good if you actually know the UPS guy (or whoever delivers) it on a first name basis like you did, but 90% of the time the UPS guy won't know what you look like so saying that it must be signed by a certain person affords you no extra security most of the time. All it takes is a glance at the name/address on the package for a clever thief to take it and forge a signature for it. However, it is a very good point to take into consideration that if you are going to recieving/sending alot of packages or mail for business or any purpose really, you should get to know the people that work your local route.

bread's done
Back